Forums/Armchair-GM

Bruins Prospect Update Part 8

Created by: BruinsFan35
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2022
Published: Feb. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are in the same order that I wrote them last time, with new updates at the end.

Fabian Lysell: Last update, Lysell had posted 31 points in 24 games. Since then, the offense has dried up over the past 4 games, leaving Lysell with just one point, bringing his overall totals to 32 points (13 games) in 28 games. Don't think that it's Lysell's fault, though, as his whole team just hasn't been productive. Looking to the NHL with this kid, I think that Lysell is more of a complimentary piece than a guy who can drive a line. He thrives more as a playmaker than as a goal-scorer, which isn't to say that he doesn't have the ability to be a good goal scorer at the NHL level. I think pairing Lysell with a volume shooter would be the best way to maximize his skillset. Lysell is a blazing fast player and is a problem in 1-on-1 situations. His puck control, something I mentioned was necessary to fix a little, has been much better as the season has progressed. Another thing that has improved was something that was a knock on him coming out of the draft: effort away from the puck. Lysell has shown more care for the back check in the past months that he didn't show against SHL pros. He's becoming more well-rounded of a prospect while still keeping his great strengths.

Brett Harrison: Last update, Harrison had put up 31 points in 31 games. Since then, he has been the most consistent player for the Generals, now with 37 points (18 goals) in 37 games. Harrison is a blue-collar type of player: three-zone player, high work ethic, never takes a shift off, extremely consistent. I'd love to see him add a little more muscle to his 6 foot 2 frame, as he's already at 185 pounds but I think more strength, especially in the lower body, could help his already strong board play and skating, and help him elevate his overall game even further.

Jake Schmaltz: Last update, Schmaltz put up 14 points in 23 games. Since then, the offense has gone cold for Schmaltz yet again, bringing his total up to 15 points (6 goals) in 27 games. Solid totals for freshman in my opinion. Especially one who doesn't get consistent ice time. But, Schmaltz is veeeery hot and cold on offense, and it's kind of frustrating for someone like me who's trying to get a good feel on where he slots into Boston's future. Unlike Harrison, where adding weight is recommended but not needed, Schmaltz needs to be stronger. He's a 6 foot 1 beanpole, and that needs to be remedied. He's also been pushed around from wing to center, which is an interesting development as the Bruins love wingers who can also play center for some reason.

Quinn Olson: Last update, Olson had posted 17 points in 24 games. Since then, Olson has only played 2 games, now with 18 points (5 goals) in 26 games. As a junior for Minnesota-Duluth, Olson has enjoyed his best season by far in the NCAA. I've already spoken enough about his need to improve his skating, but there is another flaw that needs to be addressed with Olson's game: discipline. Far too many times I've seen Olson take a stupid stick infraction because he gets behind the play. He needs to learn to play more disciplined with his stick and keep it away from the hands of the opposition.

Ty Gallagher: Last update, Gallagher had posted 12 points in 23 games. Since then, he's continued to be solid in all three zones, now with 13 points (4 goals) in 26 games as a freshman for BU. Nothing about Gallagher's stat line will jump off the page at you, and his game when watching him on-ice probably won't either. That's the point, he fits so well into every situation, and is so consistently correct in his decisions and his positioning, that he gets overlooked in favor of those making mistakes or flashy plays. Gallagher is a steady three-zone presence with a well-rounded game. Sort of a jack-of-all-trades kind of player. PK and PP can fit him pretty well, but probably second unit for the power play. I'm very intrigued by his development for a future third pair guy behind McAvoy and Carlo.

Mason Lohrei: Last update, Lohrei put up 22 points in 26 games. Since then, he's continued to be a high--impact player for the Buckeyes, now with 29 points (4 goals) in 30 games. It pains me to say that this kid isn't the best prospect in the Bruins system, and that isn't a knock on him or Lysell. Lohrei has been an incredible force in the NCAA as a freshman, and I'm kind of shocked that he wasn't invited to try out for Team USA at the Olympics this year. He's a 6 foot 4, 194 pound puck moving two-way defenseman. He's a solid defender, especially against the rush with excellent four-way mobility and a long reach. He has a cannon of a shot with seemingly very little effort. There is nothing that I don't like about his game. I shuddered when I saw Sweeney take this kid in the second round in 2020, but I think he may have actually made the right call this time.

John Beecher: Last update, Beecher has posted 7 points in 19 games. Since then, the offense has only been so-so, now with 8 points (4 goals) in 21 games. Beecher is frustrating, not for a lack of effort, but I feel like there is more to him offensively than he's showed. I don't think that he'll ever be a 50 point guy in the NHL, but I think that there's more to be given by him in the offensive zone, which, as I said, is frustrating. Even still, his size-speed-skill combo is exciting even without the high point totals to go with it. Beecher is a solid defensive center with a sandpaper quality to his game.

Oskar Jellvik: Last update, Jellvik had put up 33 points in 28 games. Since then, he's continued to be an effective offensive threat, not with 37 points (18 goals) in 31 games. The more I watch of Jellvik throughout the season, the more I like him. That being said, this will be the last update I do on him for the season, unless he gets an opportunity in the SHL. The reason is that I don't have much else to say about him that I haven't already said. He's a solid skater and has a great all-round offensive toolkit. He can make effective and hard passes with accuracy, has a good snap to his shot that is accurate as well. All stuff I've said. His trip to the states next year to play at Boston College should be very telling of his true potential in the NHL.

Ryan Mast: Last update, Mast had put up 16 points in 30 games. He hasn't played since, but I'm not done updating you guys on him, so I wanted to put something here just to indicate that I haven't forgotten about him.

Riley Duran: Last update, Duran had put up 16 points in 30 games. Since then, he's only played in 1 game, but he got a point, bringing his totals up to 17 points (8 goals) in 31 games. With the NCAA regular season coming to an end pretty soon, I'm interested to see what Duran can do next year with an increased role that he will most likely receive. Duran has been really good for the Friars when on the ice this season. The only problem is that he isn't on the ice a whole ton, as he's a freshman on one of the better NCAA hockey programs. I hope for an uptick in ice time and power play opportunities for the kid next season, as it could help him prove his worth as a prospect.

Dropped out: Trevor Kuntar (nothing new to say)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$79,329,841$1,956,507$500,000$2,170,159
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.
I always like these posts, thanks for doing them!

I agree with you on Lysell - His team also just traded their other top scorer Sourdif so i would imagine his matchups/assignments are a little tougher, most likely just needs to adjust. Ive been happy with his season - first year on smaller ice it seems he has tailored his game to it more. Like you said, effort a way from the puck, using his body, getting inside. I think one of the more translatable skills he has is his entries into the O-zone - whether he drives a line or is complimentary I definitely can see him driving offensive entries/possessions.

I was surprised with Lohrei as well not getting a shot for the olympic team. I honestly think its just that he never came through the NTDP, played in any U-18 tournaments, etc seems like USA hockey likes to pull from those past groups, but who knows he is still a little raw and inexperienced at the higher levels. Nevertheless, It's amazing to see how far hes come from being a forward to transitioning into the physically gifted D-man he is. Some of his offensive creativity is special.

The rest i pretty much agree with. Beecher frustrates me too - this isn't ideal for a 1st round pick but its nice to see him dig into the physical side of the game, finish checks, get into scrums. It seems like his role is going to be a bottom 6 Adam Lowry type so he may need to embrace that a little bit. Ive gotten to the point where if he can be a responsible north/south really hard to play against bottom 6 center i'll be happy. Every good team needs that kind of player (also a player the bruins lack) and with his size/speed/athleticism he has the potential to get there. I would love for him to be like Marcus Foligno (Fighting aside - but who knows). Duran seems to be looking like a good bet.
OldNYIfan and BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 9:54 a.m.
Great post!!
OldNYIfan and BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I think Beecher can and will be a solid pro. There were certainly some intriguing prospects selected after him (Brink being my favourite) but John should still be an effective player. Time will tell
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
A really wonderfully informative post. I'm very high on Mason Lohrei -- I think that if he spends three seasons at Ohio State, he'll come out of there a really well-rounded top-pairing defenseman.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

I think Beecher can and will be a solid pro. There were certainly some intriguing prospects selected after him (Brink being my favourite) but John should still be an effective player. Time will tell

Like I said, Beecher has more than his numbers are showing, which is frustrating. I hadn’t seen that tweet though, thanks!
MatthewsFan and Heyhowareya37 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll