26Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
28Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
29Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the New York Islanders
30Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
31Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
32Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Feb. 8, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
I'm assuming this is based off the current standings. If so, I wouldn't touch Miroshnichenko at 14 and it's unlikely Jiricek falls that far, even with his injury. Can't go wrong with anybody else. I do think some should go higher, but it's always possible they fall a bit. Players the Sharks should at least consider at 14: Gleb Trikozov, Seamus Casey (>Chesley) and Denton Mateychuk.
gary_bettman and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Quoting: TZ11
I'm assuming this is based off the current standings. If so, I wouldn't touch Miroshnichenko at 14 and it's unlikely Jiricek falls that far, even with his injury. Can't go wrong with anybody else. I do think some should go higher, but it's always possible they fall a bit. Players the Sharks should at least consider at 14: Gleb Trikozov, Seamus Casey (>Chesley) and Denton Mateychuk.

I'm really big on Lekkerimaki and Ostlund. Ostlund currently Eklund's teammate in Djurgarden (think Lekk is with their junior club)
Since Wilson Jr took over scouting we have been a BPA team. Before we we're drafting based on needs. Sharks have a lot of their scouts focused on Sweden this year.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:01 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
What are SJS needs and what range would they pick in. After knowing that, i can give feedback
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
What are SJS needs and what range would they pick in. After knowing that, i can give feedback

Depends on how Merkley finishes the year. If he proves he can stay with the big club then maybe we don't need to draft RHD. After that we just need high level scoring ability on the RW.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: gary_bettman
Depends on how Merkley finishes the year. If he proves he can stay with the big club then maybe we don't need to draft RHD. After that we just need high level scoring ability on the RW.

scoring RW and possibly RD's as draft options. You'd be looking at (SJS is currently at 14th based off point p% so Nazar, Howard/McGroarty if you'd play them on their off side as scoring RW, Casey as RD if you're in the 10-15 and then in the 15-20 range any fallers from the previous group or Lekkerimaki, Chesley, Perevalov, Gauthier, Nelson, Miroshnichenko are options
gary_bettman liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
scoring RW and possibly RD's as draft options. You'd be looking at (SJS is currently at 14th based off point p% so Nazar, Howard/McGroarty if you'd play them on their off side as scoring RW, Casey as RD if you're in the 10-15 and then in the 15-20 range any fallers from the previous group or Lekkerimaki, Chesley, Perevalov, Gauthier, Nelson, Miroshnichenko are options

I've not heard much about Casey. What's his potential and comparable? I'm a huge Lekkerimaki fan
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
I think Lekkerimaki is one guy I really have my eye on. I like his game and finishing ability and the fact that he is already a teammate of Eklund's is really enticing, but I wouldn't draft just off of that. I'm also quite high on Seamus Casey, he is a guy that could sneak past the top 15 and if the Sharks pick up a mid to late first somehow I'd love to snag both, even if Merkley sticks with the big club.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
I've not heard much about Casey. What's his potential and comparable? I'm a huge Lekkerimaki fan

Casey, imo he has the ceiling to be a low-end 2D/high-end 3D and he's very good offensively and in transition, a bit on the smaller side (5'10) but still good defensively too ( consistency could improve but most prospects could use help with defence/consistency on defence side )
gary_bettman liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Casey, imo he has the ceiling to be a low-end 2D/high-end 3D and he's very good offensively and in transition, a bit on the smaller side (5'10) but still good defensively too ( consistency could improve but most prospects could use help with defence/consistency on defence side )

Merkley has looked pretty good in the NHL as a puck mover. Hard to say as anyone partnered with Vlasic isn't going to look their best.

Gannon Laroque has looked really good this year as has Kashnikov so maybe the Sharks brass are pleased on defense with Hatakka and Kniazev on the left too.

We'll see, Wilson Jr likes to swing for the fences.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 2:46 p.m.
I'm really big on Lekkerimaki and Ostlund. Ostlund currently Eklund's teammate in Djurgarden (think Lekk is with their junior club)
Since Wilson Jr took over scouting we have been a BPA team. Before we we're drafting based on needs. Sharks have a lot of their scouts focused on Sweden this year.

As far as I know, Lekkerimäki switches between SHL and J20 Nationell. Same with Östlund, but he hasn't been in the SHL as much. In most cases you should go BPA. But I never mentioned position specific picks and the players I listed are all valid candidates for BPA. The flaws in Miroshnichenko's let him fall a lot. He has the tools, but his toolkit (=the stuff you can't really teach that lets you put the raw tools together (at least that's how I've always defined it) isn't refined enough. He doesn't have the toolkit to make everything work together on an elite level. Especially his Hockey IQ (including vision and creativity) are a red flag to me.

(@A_Habs_fan Is that a good definition for "toolkit"?)
Feb. 8, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
As far as I know, Lekkerimäki switches between SHL and J20 Nationell. Same with Östlund, but he hasn't been in the SHL as much. In most cases you should go BPA. But I never mentioned position specific picks and the players I listed are all valid candidates for BPA. The flaws in Miroshnichenko's let him fall a lot. He has the tools, but his toolkit (=the stuff you can't really teach that lets you put the raw tools together (at least that's how I've always defined it) isn't refined enough. He doesn't have the toolkit to make everything work together on an elite level. Especially his Hockey IQ (including vision and creativity) are a red flag to me.

(A_Habs_fan Is that a good definition for "toolkit"?)

Yep, that works for toolkit, most people when they use tools mean the individual skill and then toolkit is how they put it together
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 8, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight

(A_Habs_fan Is that a good definition for "toolkit"?)

That said, Miroshnichenko has as much shot at being a star as anyone in this draft.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
I'm writing a ACGM ranking all our 25 and under players and looking at the depth and skill Level our biggest need is finding a top line C prospect, a big RD with skill to replace Burns in 2-3 years, another top 6 RW, and we shouldn't close the door on a high caliber 2-way LD with offensive upside.
that being said sharks may be looking at 14 OA right now but by seasons end i see them more in line with 8-10th. we have a brutal schedule going into the trade deadline and we will out of the playoff picture by then and sellers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll