SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Contract modification (mutual agreement)

Feb. 19, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
Hi all,
This question is surely very naive: Could a player who absolutely wants to be traded, take the case of Petry (and possibly Gallagher) in Mtl, agree with his current team to re-open his contract and cut his salary by a million or two to make himself more attractive to other teams?
Feb. 19, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Edited Feb. 21, 2022 at 8:05 a.m.
Quoting: HuguesC
Hi all,
This question is surely very naive: Could a player who absolutely wants to be traded, take the case of Petry (and possibly Gallagher) in Mtl, agree with his current team to re-open his contract and cut his salary by a million or two to make himself more attractive to other teams?

Nope, unlike other sports, you can’t restructure/renegotiate deals
Feb. 21, 2022 at 7:53 a.m.
retired
Hi all,

no. not allowed under cba. next best thing is mutual contract termination then sign a new contract.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
thanks A_Habs_fan and DirtyDangle.
I guess there is no example that this option (mutual termination and new contract) ever happened? Seems unlikely.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
thanks A_Habs_fan and DirtyDangle.
I guess there is no example that this option (mutual termination and new contract) ever happened? Seems unlikely.

The best you’ll get is buyout then new contract ( Micheal Stone )
Feb. 21, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The best you’ll get is buyout then new contract ( Micheal Stone )

Tell me how that’s not cap circumvention?
Feb. 21, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: IconicHawk
Tell me how that’s not cap circumvention?

They bought him out during the buyout period and then signed him at league min, that’s technically not cap circumvention ( I’d argue the Caps trading Orpik, then after the other team buys him out, immediately sign him is more cap circumvention than that ) but it’s perfectly legal, you bought-out the player legally but buy-out doesn’t mean you don’t want to keep the player at a cheaper price

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll