Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 11, 2022
Published: Mar. 11, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
How the leafs should look like going into the playoffs this year
Trades
TOR
  1. Fleury, Marc-André ($3,500,000 retained)
  2. Hagel, Brandon
CHI
  1. Duszak, Joseph
  2. Engvall, Pierre
  3. Mrázek, Petr
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  5. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Joseph Duszak provides immense value with his AHL numbers being a right dman.

Engvall is playing extremely well in his current role with the leafs and has shown reliability.

The leafs would likes keep a pick this year, whether it's a second this year or a 1st this year. Most likely up to Chicago and what they decide.
SEA
  1. Anderson, Joey
  2. Holl, Justin
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$77,469,783$0$0$4,030,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$0$0
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: ChiHawk
I won't argue with that however unlike those guys, it's a 23 year old with a 1 1/2 years under his belt and his game is getting exponentially better every 20 games...nobody knows what his ceiling is but this is highly unlikely his ceiling unlike Hyman Kerfoot or Bunting. Add to a $1.5M cap hit for 2 more seasons and a RFA after that...it's clear he has more value then the guys you mentioned for those reasons but debatable as to what that value is.

I see him as very similar to Bunting. Who's lighting it up with Matthews and Marner. However, put him on a line without those two and he's 30-40 point winger. Still good and valuable but there are a lot of guys who are similar. Hagel being one. It's not as hard to find those guys as people think. Paying a 1st and a top prospect for one is ridiculous
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
I see him as very similar to Bunting. Who's lighting it up with Matthews and Marner. However, put him on a line without those two and he's 30-40 point winger. Still good and valuable but there are a lot of guys who are similar. Hagel being one. It's not as hard to find those guys as people think. Paying a 1st and a top prospect for one is ridiculous

Similar maybe but the differences being;

Hagel is a $1.5M cap hit for 2 more seasons
RFA after that
23 years old and only 1 1/2 seasons in the league...still not close to his ceiling in theory
Doesn't play with Matthews and Marner, he plays with Dach and Toews who are nowhere close to Matthews and Marner, you'd figure he'd be a lot more productive with Matthews & Marner

I don't see many similar players when you consider all things we're discussing, understanding cap, age, contract status is just as important, as Hagel in the league. That is kind of the point why his value is so high. I don't see the Hawks moving him and if he's moved, the acquiring team fans won't like it which is the point; there aren't similar players in the league like this and historically no real comparison at the TDL (Coleman isn't a good one because of age, cap hit, contract status)
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
Owly
Similar maybe but the differences being;

Hagel is a $1.5M cap hit for 2 more seasons
RFA after that
23 years old and only 1 1/2 seasons in the league...still not close to his ceiling in theory
Doesn't play with Matthews and Marner, he plays with Dach and Toews who are nowhere close to Matthews and Marner, you'd figure he'd be a lot more productive with Matthews & Marner

I don't see many similar players when you consider all things we're discussing, understanding cap, age, contract status is just as important, as Hagel in the league. That is kind of the point why his value is so high. I don't see the Hawks moving him and if he's moved, the acquiring team fans won't like it which is the point; there aren't similar players in the league like this and historically no real comparison at the TDL (Coleman isn't a good one because of age, cap hit, contract status)

Sure but that just proves the better players carry the load. This is where I differ from most fans. I see Stars being worth so much more than secondary players. Hagel on his own isn't a big game breaker and I doubt he ever will be. But given the right opportunity, usage and linemates he could he could be a good 50-60 point winger. On his own with lesser players he may only be a 30-40 point winger. Like Hyman. Yeah he scored a lot with Matthews and Marner but away from them he was a 30 point winger. Now he's looking like he's a 5.5 million dollar middle 6 winger who needs stars to justify his contract. Hagel I think is the same type. And finding those types isn't all that hard. The Leafs haven't missed Hyman at all. So I wouldn't ever consider the ask for Hagel. A similar player can be found for much less.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:17 p.m.
Sure but that just proves the better players carry the load. This is where I differ from most fans. I see Stars being worth so much more than secondary players. Hagel on his own isn't a big game breaker and I doubt he ever will be. But given the right opportunity, usage and linemates he could he could be a good 50-60 point winger. On his own with lesser players he may only be a 30-40 point winger. Like Hyman. Yeah he scored a lot with Matthews and Marner but away from them he was a 30 point winger. Now he's looking like he's a 5.5 million dollar middle 6 winger who needs stars to justify his contract. Hagel I think is the same type. And finding those types isn't all that hard. The Leafs haven't missed Hyman at all. So I wouldn't ever consider the ask for Hagel. A similar player can be found for much less.

Actually, finding a player like a Brandon Saad, Hyman and Hagel is looking that way isn't all that easy either. Remember Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson? How many left wingers have the leafs cycled through in the last couple of years? Point is, you need someone who can play with that level which takes good vision, passing skills, speed, etc. People knock Strome saying he looks good with Kane which is true, but how many centers has Kane cycled through...12 I believe and Strome is one of the top 2 or 3
Mar. 12, 2022 at 12:03 a.m.
Owly
Actually, finding a player like a Brandon Saad, Hyman and Hagel is looking that way isn't all that easy either. Remember Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson? How many left wingers have the leafs cycled through in the last couple of years? Point is, you need someone who can play with that level which takes good vision, passing skills, speed, etc. People knock Strome saying he looks good with Kane which is true, but how many centers has Kane cycled through...12 I believe and Strome is one of the top 2 or 3

Still, my point remains. I would never pay big money for a someone who needs other guys to maximize his potential. Matthews and Kane are going to get points, they are elite. Put em with anyone and they will make an impact often. Never overpay those depth guys who clicked with a star. There are a lot of Bunting's, Hagel's and Hyman's out there. Paying huge prices for them isn't necessary.
Mar. 12, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
Still, my point remains. I would never pay big money for a someone who needs other guys to maximize his potential. Matthews and Kane are going to get points, they are elite. Put em with anyone and they will make an impact often. Never overpay those depth guys who clicked with a star. There are a lot of Bunting's, Hagel's and Hyman's out there. Paying huge prices for them isn't necessary.

I don't think you can lump all these players together and say they are equal. Do you not think Hagel would be even better next to Matthews and Marner versus Toews and Dach? I'm willing to bet he'd be better then bunting and 3 years younger, and a RFA after another 2 years. Throw bunting on a line with Toews and Dach and he probably has 30 points right now. My point is, all these types of players offer a wide variety of talent, it's impossible to say they are equal and therefore you wouldn't pay much for any of them.
Mar. 12, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
Owly
I don't think you can lump all these players together and say they are equal. Do you not think Hagel would be even better next to Matthews and Marner versus Toews and Dach? I'm willing to bet he'd be better then bunting and 3 years younger, and a RFA after another 2 years. Throw bunting on a line with Toews and Dach and he probably has 30 points right now. My point is, all these types of players offer a wide variety of talent, it's impossible to say they are equal and therefore you wouldn't pay much for any of them.

Bunting is going pretty spectacular with them. Would Hagel be the same? Maybe but maybe he won't. It's hard to tell what chemistry they'd have. The difference though is the cost to acquire. Hell Robertson could be as good or much better than Hagel and he's already on the team. The cost to get maybe an improvement or possibly less value than Kerfoot or Bunting makes it entirely too risky for me
ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Bunting is going pretty spectacular with them. Would Hagel be the same? Maybe but maybe he won't. It's hard to tell what chemistry they'd have. The difference though is the cost to acquire. Hell Robertson could be as good or much better than Hagel and he's already on the team. The cost to get maybe an improvement or possibly less value than Kerfoot or Bunting makes it entirely too risky for me

I think Robertson needs to put on some weight, I worry about him in the NHL. I get it, but you can also understand (Leafs notwithstanding) why so many teams are calling about Hagel. At the TDL it's unheard of grabbing a player like Hagel that young, that low of a cap hit, with term and a RFA. Coleman is about as close to it as it gets but he was 3 years older, higher cap hit with only 1 year left then a UFA, and not as good of production.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Owly
I think Robertson needs to put on some weight, I worry about him in the NHL. I get it, but you can also understand (Leafs notwithstanding) why so many teams are calling about Hagel. At the TDL it's unheard of grabbing a player like Hagel that young, that low of a cap hit, with term and a RFA. Coleman is about as close to it as it gets but he was 3 years older, higher cap hit with only 1 year left then a UFA, and not as good of production.

I am very conservative on making moves. I have no problem moving Robertson but if I do I want it to be impactful and I don't see Hagel as something more than we already have.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
I am very conservative on making moves. I have no problem moving Robertson but if I do I want it to be impactful and I don't see Hagel as something more than we already have.

Also, the Leafs are more in need of goaltending and a defensive d man then they are in need of a top 6 winger.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Owly
Also, the Leafs are more in need of goaltending and a defensive d man then they are in need of a top 6 winger.

I am not overly concerned about the goaltending. I think Campbell will bounce back and Mrazek will as well. I have been against a stay at home defenceman but am coming around on it recently. If they get a forward it needs to be someone who moves the needle
Mar. 13, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
I am not overly concerned about the goaltending. I think Campbell will bounce back and Mrazek will as well. I have been against a stay at home defenceman but am coming around on it recently. If they get a forward it needs to be someone who moves the needle

Since january 1st, Campbell has played 17 games and only 6 times posted about a .900 sv %. Mrazek has played 16 games and only 5 times posted above a .900 sv %. Could be defense more then goaltending but they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs like that.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll