SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Columbus Blue Jackets

The Price of the Chicago Pick from the Seth Jones Trade and offseason thoughts

Mar. 30, 2022 at 12:51 a.m.
The Blue Jackets are a fascinating team to watch this offseason. They have a real need to add a top center and add a solid defensive defenseman (preferably a right shot). They also have young forwards at wing that are talented but seem to be blocked from getting minutes they need to develop further. The Jackets also have cap space to boot. The Seth Jones trade has really paid dividends as the Jackets not only were able to land Adam Boqvist but also were able to obtain the 12OA pick in the 2021 draft to get Cole Sillinger (who is really starting to get a feel for the NHL speed now), a 2nd round pick in 2021 which was flipped to acquire Jake Bean, but the more interesting part of the deal was the 2022 1st round pick. This pick is lottery protected but if it is a lottery winner then the pick becomes unprotected in 2023. This is where the intrigue comes into play. Chicago clearly is rebuilding but has not shipped out vets Toews and Kane. Currently this pick sits at 7 OA. If it stays status quo then the Jackets would get this pick plus a chance with their own pick to be a lottery winner. This draft is very deep especially in the top 15 to 20. I expect the Jackets will be looking to acquire a top center? What would be available? What price? Thoughts?

Where do the Jackets put their excess of forwards? Many would have to pass through waivers which they won’t? Thoughts?
Mar. 30, 2022 at 1:04 a.m.
Though on the top pair right handed defensive defenseman - Andrew Peeke!!! We already have him. The dude is good, let him and Werenski develop their chemistry into a top pair (if Werenski can stay healthy and in the lineup).

As for a center, I don’t expect them to do much, look at what Minnesota has done without a top line center. I get that Krill is an elite level player, but a Johnson, Roslovic and Laine line would be great, with a Voracek, Sillinger, Bjorkstrand line, leaving Marchenko, Jenner and Chinakov on the 3rd line and a 4th line with Karuly in the middle of Texier, Robinson, Foudy or Nyquist (I’m guessing he gets traded tbh) that’s a pretty good deep lineup in 2 years.

Neither of these factor in what we could get in the 2022 or 2023 drafts too. The last thing Columbus should do is make a big splash going out and getting a top line center (Jeff Carter) and having it blow up in their face because he wants to leave as soon as he can.

If we had to go get someone maybe a Monahan, would be a fit as he was a top line player but lost his spot in Calgary and could use a fresh start, and with him having 1 year left he is easily flip able if it doesn’t work.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The other centre options might be UFAs Trocheck or Rangers Strome

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll