Forums/Armchair-GM

Tinkering

Created by: upsideofafaceplant
Team: 2022-23 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 4, 2022
Published: Apr. 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying to be semi-realistic with signings/trades. A mix of what I'd like to see and what I could still sort of see Holland doing.

I realize Arizona fans are probably sick of people trying to unload their team's bad contracts on them, but well...basically, all the teams I'm trading with are placeholders for whoever will do it. So please don't be offended that I'm not penciling in a first rounder for you to take on Kassian.

Also, the two 4th-line wings are pretty interchangeable, basically whoever you can get out of the bargain bin with decent defensive metrics. Could also re-sign Brassard or something along those lines.

Finally, I sent Mike Smith to the ****ing moon. If somebody wants him, trade him, but I doubt that would work. So off to the AHL/encourage him to retire or something. Kept his contract on the books to be realistic.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
3$900,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,500,000
3$2,750,000
3$2,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
1$1,500,000
3$5,000,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (TOR)
EDM
  1. 2023 6th round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Benson, Tyler [RFA Rights]
  2. Kassian, Zack
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
    Future considerations
    BUF
    1. Koekkoek, Slater
    Additional Details:
    Just trying to do Koekkoek a solid here, Oilers just have too many D prospects that have to play
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$83,101,962$896,000$1,350,000-$601,962
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 4, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
    overpay for McL, no need to offer up that kind of money to get him resigned.
    They should do all they can to resign Kane over Yamo IMO.
    That defense is still brutal.
    Too much for Husso. He is still relatively unproven as far as Goal tenders go. $3.5mill x 3 should be the offer. Another team will probably offer more money and more term, but its a gamble for an unproven goalie and the Oilers dont have the cap space to be gambling.
    Apr. 5, 2022 at 3:50 a.m.
    upsideofafaceplant
    Quoting: ceeque84
    overpay for McL, no need to offer up that kind of money to get him resigned.
    They should do all they can to resign Kane over Yamo IMO.
    That defense is still brutal.
    Too much for Husso. He is still relatively unproven as far as Goal tenders go. $3.5mill x 3 should be the offer. Another team will probably offer more money and more term, but its a gamble for an unproven goalie and the Oilers dont have the cap space to be gambling.

Fair point to all aside from re-signing Kane. Imo that's something you regret in two years, unless he's willing to sign for 4mil or less. That's probably not happening.

Goaltending I'd see as an overpay as well, but there really aren't many viable options available in free agency or via trade. Sure, you could try Fleury or Holtby or something, but they're probably not coming here. Husso is a gamble for sure, but if you look at it as him only making 500k more than Koskinen it might be more stomacheable.

As for the defence, I wrote that I was trying to be realistic...don't see Holland doing anything major like a Chychrun trade, and free agency isn't deep this season. Plus no cap space and so on. I'd argue there are improvements, Kulak is better than anybody we currently have on the depth-chart, and Benning is much more suited for shutdown 3rd-pairing duty than Barrie. Most of the signings are basically stopgaps until Bouchard is properly ready for top-pairing duty, Broberg is ripe and another D-prospect can take over bottom-pairing duty.
    Apr. 5, 2022 at 5:48 a.m.
    Quoting: upsideofafaceplant
    Fair point to all aside from re-signing Kane. Imo that's something you regret in two years, unless he's willing to sign for 4mil or less. That's probably not happening.

Goaltending I'd see as an overpay as well, but there really aren't many viable options available in free agency or via trade. Sure, you could try Fleury or Holtby or something, but they're probably not coming here. Husso is a gamble for sure, but if you look at it as him only making 500k more than Koskinen it might be more stomacheable.

As for the defence, I wrote that I was trying to be realistic...don't see Holland doing anything major like a Chychrun trade, and free agency isn't deep this season. Plus no cap space and so on. I'd argue there are improvements, Kulak is better than anybody we currently have on the depth-chart, and Benning is much more suited for shutdown 3rd-pairing duty than Barrie. Most of the signings are basically stopgaps until Bouchard is properly ready for top-pairing duty, Broberg is ripe and another D-prospect can take over bottom-pairing duty.

Agreed about the goaltending. The situation looks grim. Fluery definitely wont sign in edmonton, and they dont have the cap space to take a run at Kuemper. I would rather Holland use that $5mill for Husso to get a good shutdown dman on the right side instead of a 5 yr gamble on an unproven goalie.

I wonder if there might be a trade out there, for say like Reimer from the sharks.... he has one more yr left so that could serve as a buffer to see what they have with Skinner up full time and maybe starting every 3rd game, also bridges the gap to the 2023/24 season when they have a bit more cap space to go out and pay a #1 if it doesnt look like Skinner is gonna be the guy....

I think if they can get Kane to agree to a 3 yr term they should do it... I doubt any other teams in the league will be offering more term than 2 or 3 yrs considering his history. It will be the dollar value offered that the Oilers will have a hard time competing with when it comes to getting him resigned. But with Kassian surely getting traded, bought out, fired to the moon, and not being able to resign Kane, this team will be hard up for some muscle.
    Apr. 5, 2022 at 7:11 a.m.
    upsideofafaceplant
    Quoting: ceeque84
    Agreed about the goaltending. The situation looks grim. Fluery definitely wont sign in edmonton, and they dont have the cap space to take a run at Kuemper. I would rather Holland use that $5mill for Husso to get a good shutdown dman on the right side instead of a 5 yr gamble on an unproven goalie.

I wonder if there might be a trade out there, for say like Reimer from the sharks.... he has one more yr left so that could serve as a buffer to see what they have with Skinner up full time and maybe starting every 3rd game, also bridges the gap to the 2023/24 season when they have a bit more cap space to go out and pay a #1 if it doesnt look like Skinner is gonna be the guy....

I think if they can get Kane to agree to a 3 yr term they should do it... I doubt any other teams in the league will be offering more term than 2 or 3 yrs considering his history. It will be the dollar value offered that the Oilers will have a hard time competing with when it comes to getting him resigned. But with Kassian surely getting traded, bought out, fired to the moon, and not being able to resign Kane, this team will be hard up for some muscle.

Yeah Reimer would definitely be an interesting target. Wonder what it would take to get him out of San Jose, the fact that they didn't trade him at the deadline makes me think they want to keep him, so you'd have to overpay. Would keep cap space open to sign a Manson or similar for D.
    My logic for the Husso deal was a slight overpay in AAV to lower the contract duration. 3 years is still sort of manageable even if he's only average.

Toughness is a good point, something I didn't really consider. I wouldn't mind keeping Kane if the contract makes sense, shorter term and decent AAV, I'm just really scared of the organization keeping him over Yamo or Puljujärvi. That would 100% come back to bite them in the behind.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll