SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How Did Your Start-of-Season Predictions Fare?

Apr. 30, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG

FLA: With a Hart winning season from Barkov and strong Norris contention from a healthy Ekblad. One of their goaltenders will be good enough to lead them to #1 ahead of Tampa
TB: Lost their "identity" but not really their core high-end talent. Any team with Andrei Vasilevskiy, Victor Hedman, and Nikita Kucherov will finish well.
BOS: Not entirely sold on Ullmark/Swayman, but they're still a really good team
TOR: Lots of high-end talent, but Mrazek will not have a good season with pressure in Toronto. Hopefully for them Jack Campbell can play well

Top 4 are way above bottom 4

MTL: Decent at everything, but not having god-mode Carey Price stops them from being in the top 4
DET: Something is building here, but it's not quite built. If Nedeljkovic can recapture his 2020-21 regular season form, they could challenge for playoffs, but I find that unlikely
OTT: Similar situation to Detroit, but they're closer to the start of their building process.
BUF: #BadforBrad or #SuckforShane? With the new, more tank-friendly lottery rules, they can guarantee one of Wright, Lambert, or Savoie (assuming that's still the top 3) by finishing 32nd

My Atlantic predictions were actually pretty close, including the large gap, but I assume that's the case for most people here. The division had a clear top 4. My Barkov for Hart prediction did not age very well, and Ekblad is not going to get "strong Norris contention". Mrazek did not have a good season in Toronto, and Nedeljkovic didn't have as strong a 2021-22 as his 2020-21.

CAR: As long as Andersen/Raanta stay healthy and play at least decently, they have the horses, the depth, and the high level defense. Class of the division.
NYI: 2-7 are in the same tier... Best 1-2 goalie tandem in hockey with Sorokin and Varlamov, top shutdown pair with Pulock and Pelech... I just can't see them missing the playoffs.
WSH: Big strong team counters the rest of the division pretty well, and Samsonov/Vanecek is not bad
NYR: Young team that could go nuts or could stall out. I'm leaning towards the latter but there's a LOT of talent here.
NJD: If they didn't get Bernier, I would have predicted the "champions of the offseason" to finish 7th. Give them another year to get Holtz up to speed and really see Jack Hughes' power
PIT: Not a big fan of Jarry/DeSmith as a tandem, but everything in front of them is still at least decent.
PHI: Not as confident of a Carter hart revival as everyone else seems to be. Someone has to finish 7th
CBJ: #FreeLaine I watched his incredible first 2 years in Winnipeg where he looked every bit of "generational talent", then didn't watch the next couple of years, then last year saw him being utterly broken in Columbus. I don't even care how the team does, I just want to see Laine play like he did when he was 19

At least I got Carolina, and kinda sorta said that the Rangers could "go nuts", which Shesterkin definitely did, and knew the Flyers would be bad this year. Jonathan Bernier.... did not drag the Devils out of 7th and I will be seeing the Islanders miss the playoffs, but hey, at least I got to see Patrik Laine play at a PPG pace.

WPG
COL
MIN
CHI
STL
DAL
NSH
ARI

I would love to see my October reasoning for predicting the Jets at 1st in the division... maybe something to do with Hellebuyck? I was also unusually bullish on the Blackhawks. Remove those two teams and I got the order right, but those are some big mistakes.

EDM: Best 1-2 in the league... someone has to win this division in the regular season.
LV: Would be 1st but the team is getting old and has had a bunch of deep runs in a row
LA: If the young players can hit at the same time, this spot is theirs... 3-6 are all in the same mix and any order of them is easily taken.
SEA: They have a good goaltender and a roster that won't be blown out. They'll have a shot every game and that could be enough
VAN: Lost their legendary players.... Seriously wouldn't be surprised with anything 3-8 for them
CGY: Unless Markstrom has a great season, there isn't that much there that can propel them to the top.
ANA: They're not the Sharks
SJ: They are the Sharks

Never guessed that Grubauer would fall so hard and the Kraken would get tamed, and didn't guess that Markstrom would have a great season and propel the Flames to the top. Also Reimer and the Sharks had a much better season than I expected. Proud of nailing LA in the 3 spot

Those were my October predictions for the regular season, what were yours, and how did they fare?
Apr. 30, 2022 at 9:42 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So a look back at my regular season predictions:
Atlantic
1-Tampa ( 3rd IRL )
2-Toronto ( 2nd IRL )
3-Florida ( 1st IRL )
WC1-Boston ( WC1 IRL )
WC2-Montreal ( 8th IRL )
6-Detroit ( 6th IRL )
7-Ottawa ( 7th IRL )
8-Buffalo ( 5th IRL )

Got Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto and Boston right so that's pretty good, swap Tampa and Florida and Buffalo Montreal and you have the IRL Atlantic, pretty decent overall, Buffalo did better than expected, Montreal sucked so bad, no one expected that

Metro
1-Canes ( 1st IRL )
2-Philly ( 8th IRL )
3-NYI ( 5th IRL )
4-NYR ( 2nd IRL )
5-NJD ( 7th IRL )
6-Pens ( 3rd IRL )
7-Caps ( 4th IRL )
8-CBJ ( 6th IRL )

So Philly sucked, doesn't help Ellis missed pretty much the whole year, Risto did NOT get better, did not expect Shesty to get NYR into a playoff spot, expected Pens and Caps to have their fall-off, they did not

Central
1-Jets ( 6th IRL )
2-Avs ( 1st IRL )
3-STL ( 3rd IRL )
WC1-Chicago ( 7th IRL )
WC2-Dallas ( WC1 IRL )
6-Minny ( 2nd IRL )
7-Preds ( WC2 IRL )
8-Arizona ( 8th IRL )

So did not expect Minny to be this good, that top-heavy offence did better than I expected, Talbot too, Jets holy f*ck, on paper, Helly, Ehlers, Connor, Scheif, Dubois, Wheeler, Copp, Lowry, Stastny, Morrisey, Dillon, Schmidt, Demelo, Pionk is a good team. Nashville's top players had much better years than expected, Chicago's defence did worse than expected, MAF didn't carry as much

Pacific
1-VGK ( 4th IRL )
2-Calgary ( 1st IRL )
3-Oilers ( 2nd IRL )
4-Seattle ( 8th IRL )
5-LAK ( 3rd IRL )
6-Canucks ( 5th IRL )
7-Ducks ( 7th IRL )
8-SJS ( 6th IRL )

Vegas got too many injuries, didn't mesh well together, LTIR shenanigans and co and Seattle did way worse than i expected, the team wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad on paper. Apart from that, pretty good

In the end, got 10/16 playoff teams right with 8/32 in the right spots, pretty decent

Funnily enough, I did a recap post just earlier of my start of season predictions

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll