Forums/Armchair-GM

22-23 Penguins - Get the gang back together

Created by: SKATEinPAJAMAS
Team: 2022-23 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: May 22, 2022
Published: May 22, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
22-23 Penguins - Get the gang back together, plus some additional pieces. Trades are mostly cap dumps and I would take slightly less if needed.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,850,000
5$7,500,000
3$7,000,000
5$6,000,000
4$4,750,000
4$4,750,000
2$1,250,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2022 6th round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
Any Team
ARI
  1. Carter, Jeff
  2. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Any Team
PIT
  1. 2022 4th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Any Team
ANA
  1. McGinn, Brock
Additional Details:
Any Team
PIT
  1. 2022 6th round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Any Team
ANA
  1. Pettersson, Marcus
  2. 2022 4th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Any Team
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$80,991,667$0$0$1,508,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22, 2022 at 8:01 a.m.
I'd love if the Pens could pull this off but there is some serious issues with this, it's very unrealistic.

First off, why would Trocheck sign here if he knew we re-signed Geno. Why would he wanna come be a 3C when he could go be a 2C or even a 1C elsewhere for more money as well. Makes zero sense.

Secondly, Erod will cost more than that, 2.5-3.0 mil probably. I mean the guy did put up 40+ points and then follow it up with a strong playoff performance.

Thirdly, so long as Hextall is the GM there is basically ZERO chance we move Carter. Not only does he have an NMC (which it would already be hard enough to get him to waive it), but there's also no way they move him right after signing him to an extension. Sully loves him, Hextall loves him, Burke loves him. No way he goes anywhere.

Fourth. Marcus Pettersson can absolutely fetch assets. He had a good year. You do NOT have to pay assets in order to move him. He's 25 and signed to term at only a slightly overpriced AAV, lots of teams will snag him for a 3rd rounder. A desperate team might even give up a 2nd for him. Why you think you'd need to give up assets to move him is odd...

Like I said. I'd be real happy with this team heading into next season, but it's just an unrealistic team for too many reasons. Sorry to burst your bubble
May 22, 2022 at 8:08 a.m.
Quoting: Jukesy
I'd love if the Pens could pull this off but there is some serious issues with this, it's very unrealistic.

First off, why would Trocheck sign here if he knew we re-signed Geno. Why would he wanna come be a 3C when he could go be a 2C or even a 1C elsewhere for more money as well. Makes zero sense.

Secondly, Erod will cost more than that, 2.5-3.0 mil probably. I mean the guy did put up 40+ points and then follow it up with a strong playoff performance.

Thirdly, so long as Hextall is the GM there is basically ZERO chance we move Carter. Not only does he have an NMC (which it would already be hard enough to get him to waive it), but there's also no way they move him right after signing him to an extension. Sully loves him, Hextall loves him, Burke loves him. No way he goes anywhere.

Fourth. Marcus Pettersson can absolutely fetch assets. He had a good year. You do NOT have to pay assets in order to move him. He's 25 and signed to term at only a slightly overpriced AAV, lots of teams will snag him for a 3rd rounder. A desperate team might even give up a 2nd for him. Why you think you'd need to give up assets to move him is odd...

Like I said. I'd be real happy with this team heading into next season, but it's just an unrealistic team for too many reasons. Sorry to burst your bubble

Totally agree with all of this, I think they should let Malkin walk & Sign hometown boy Trocheck as their 2C. Id like to see them go after a guy like Marchment in the UFA pool as he brings some good size and physicality which the pens often lack.
May 22, 2022 at 8:23 a.m.
Go Pens!
Quoting: Jukesy

Hey, thanks for the feedback! That's a good point about Carter. I didn't realize he has a NMC. Way to go Hextall... Carter looked horrible end of the season and playoffs. He's done. Yeah I see your point about Trocheck not wanting to be a 3C. That said, $6M, term, and ice time promise, plus being on this team, could sway him. I doubt it, but dun to dream, ain't it. The Pettersen comment is surprising. My friends and I all think he stinks and nobody would give up value for him, so to hear you say that gives me hope. No need to be sorry to burst my bubble; With Hextall at GM I know there's no way we're getting this team. I doubt we even get a playoff contender... Hextall is a garbage GM IMO.
May 22, 2022 at 8:35 a.m.
Quoting: SKATEinPAJAMAS
Hey, thanks for the feedback! That's a good point about Carter. I didn't realize he has a NMC. Way to go Hextall... Carter looked horrible end of the season and playoffs. He's done. Yeah I see your point about Trocheck not wanting to be a 3C. That said, $6M, term, and ice time promise, plus being on this team, could sway him. I doubt it, but dun to dream, ain't it. The Pettersen comment is surprising. My friends and I all think he stinks and nobody would give up value for him, so to hear you say that gives me hope. No need to be sorry to burst my bubble; With Hextall at GM I know there's no way we're getting this team. I doubt we even get a playoff contender... Hextall is a garbage GM IMO.

Hextall isn't garbage. To me he's just the definition of mid. He's just there. He doesn't make any WOW moves but he also doesn't make any bonehead moves. If resigning carter to a raise is the worst move he's made then thats not TOO bad especially when you compare some of the "bad" moves Rutherford made. Carter isnt good but like he's not Jack Johnson he still has his uses. Hextall also just doesn't make many moves in general. He's the EXACT opposite of Jimmy Rutherford. Take the good with Rutherford and the bad. When JR was on, he was ON. When he wasn't. Boy was he bad.

In terms of what you said, ONLY way I could see Trocheck and Geno being here is if one of those two moved to the wing. Not entirely impossible but I'd say unlikely. I get your point about taking less AAV, my thought was he could do that in order to come home. That's a possibility I didn't think about, I kinda forgot he was a Pittsburgh kid.

As for Pettersson. I just flat out think you're wrong, and the stats back me up here. Last season he was in the 80 percentile for WAR in the league, this year he was in a similar spot. His EVD ratings are solid, he's tall with range and can move the puck. He's quietly a solid player. That's it. No more no less. I believe JFresh said about him on twitter that

"He's a 4million dollar top 4 defender who has played like a 4million dollar top 4 dman for 3 straight seasons now. Pens fans expect every player to be a superstar"

Im paraphrasing a little but you get the point. I dont love how soft Pettersson is, if you took the exact same player and added 15lbs, and made him hit more, **** he'd be a GREAT player. That to me is his weakness is his lack of physicality and overall softness. You see it when forecheckers are going into his corner. He literally cowers and shys away. Which is funny because he's 6'3. But taking that out of it. He's good analytically, good speed, good puck mover, good in his own zone, and isn't completely lost in the O-Zone either. Another plus I haven't mentioned. He has very clear chemistry with Marino, so if you are keeping those two together thats another plus. Having those two as your 2nd pairing is actually really solid. He's fine as a player and you could absolutely get something back for him if you wanted to dish him.

I'd be willing to move him in order to sign someone 1-2 mil cheaper, but not at the cost of PAYING assets to ditch him.
May 22, 2022 at 8:42 a.m.
JimmyPaek
I do not want Geno back

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll