SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Calgary Flames Draft Board

Calgary Flames Draft Board

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: BruinsFan35
Published: Jun. 9, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
Description
My plan is to make a big board for each team prior to the draft, looking at guys who's abilities would match up well with what the team in question should be looking for on draft night. I'm using my Draft Guide for the rankings, and the goal is to select multiple players within the range of each teams' selections that they should consider. These players are ranked by my ranking numerically, not necessarily who the team should value first, second, third, etc. at that spot (hopefully that makes sense). The plan is to provide explanations for the first round picks for every team, then just provide the list for rounds 2-7, unless the team in question doesn't have a first round selection, in which case I'll provide explanations for their first selection, regardless of round. If you want clarification on a specific player, comment and I'll provide it.

4 teams done, Calgary is next. Three key needs to address are:

Right Wing
Right Defense
Physical Center
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Second Round
#59 Overall
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-My Ranking: #52. Bystedt would have to fall a bit, but he would fill a solid need of the Flames: a strong, physical center for their middle six. Bystedt is a good shooter as well, and has shown flashes of above average playmaking. But the Flames would care most about his size and physical attributes, which would add some young snarl onto their third line (behind Lindholm and Zary on the depth chart).
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-My Ranking: #53. Devine would be the best Right Wing prospect in the Flames system right now. He's fast, a great playmaker, and always has his feet moving whenever on the ice. At 172 pounds, he could use to bulk up a little before moving up from the NCAA, but Devine looks to be a solid #2 Right Wing in the making.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-My Ranking: #55. Rinzel looks to be a future top 4 defender, which the Flames desperately need on the right side. He's big, strong, and a solid skater. He's very poised and displays a strong hockey IQ, especially in his own end. Overall, he's very raw, and we don't exactly know how effective he'll be when playing against better competition (he was playing in High School this year). But Rinzel looks to be a solid project defender with a high upside.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-My Ranking: #56. Salomonsson is much higher on many people's boards, and he used to be a first-round talent on my own board. But his inconsistency of both effort and ability in his own end was too much of a red flag to warrant a top 32 pick in my eyes. Still, Salomonsson is a solid puck moving defender with a booming shot and solid offensive awareness. He'll need a defensive defenseman to pair with him, but Salomonsson has the upside of a solid middle pair defender in the future, which is just what the Flames need.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksMy Ranking: #62. Kulonummi is a solid and well-rounded defensive prospect who looks to be a future middle pair defender. He's a high IQ player who displays great fundamentals and positioning. He also shows to be an effective puck mover and can stretch the ice with his passing ability. Overall, a high-floor selection for a second rounder that the Flames could value very highly.
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
Fifth Round
#155 Overall
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-My Ranking: #147
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Christopher Romaine
My Ranking: #152
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Josh Filmon
My Ranking: #154
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-My Ranking: #155
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-My Ranking: #157
13Logo of the New York Islanders-My Ranking: #158
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-My Ranking: #159
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Seventh Round
#219 Overall
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Luca Auer
My Ranking: #216
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-My Ranking: #220
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Milton Oscarson
My Ranking: #221
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-My Ranking: #225
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Sorry Flames Fans
You guys don't have many picks this year
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
27Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
29Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Jun. 9, 2022 at 5:42 p.m.
It's very likely they will try to trade down with their no. 59. So 2x3rds or 1x3rd and 1x4th round picks instead of no. 59 is possible.

I agree they need size the most, especially on forwards. They have Coronato (right wing) in their system, so that might not be their priority. Another RD would help.

I suspect they will try to win now. In that sense selecting overagers, including double and even triple overagers, is not excluded.

I mostly agree on 1st pick. It should be BPA big forward or D-man, preferebly RHD. I would give an edge to RHD, because above-average big forwards are easier to draft than above-average RHDs.

In middle round/rounds (it depends on the number of picks, as mentioned they might trade down or try to acquire additional pick in exchange for one in 2023 draft) they could target interesting overagers:
1. Double-overager Benjamin King, 6ft2-6ft3 RW/C from Red Deer, 2nd scorer in WHL.
2. Double-overager Logan Morrison, right-shot C from Hamilton in finale of OHL.
3. Older one-time overager Kyle Jackson, 6ft2 LW/C from North Bay (OHL).
4. Older one-time overager Matt Maggio, RW from Windsor in finale of OHL.
5. Older one-time overager Avery Hayes , C/RW from Hamilton in finale of OHL.
... or your guy Tucker Robertson wink

In 7th round they could go off board with KHL players. At the moment there are two interesting triple-overagers without contracts for the next season available:
1. Sergei Telegin, 5ft11 LD, member of Russians on the Olympics.
2. Danil Bashkirov, 6ft3 C.
Russian overagers and double-overagers are less interesting in context of trying to win now. I will not write them down, there are just too many names, so it doesn't make any sense. There are also other interesting triple-overagers, but at the moment all under contract for at least another year.
BruinsFan35 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll