SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

How much are they worth by my GM criteria

How much are they worth by my GM criteria

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Playersoverpayed
Published: Jun. 18, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
Description
Not worth top 3 rounds picks by my metrics: Casey, Zhikin, Ludwinski, Haight, Salomonsson, Perevalov, Kulonummi...
And Gazizov is dnd, he wasn't even able to secure his spot in the lineup for the whole playoff round.

Weaker OHL class. Same could be true for 2023 draft.

I reserve the right to make corrections in case of this year's Mitchell Miller/Logan Mailloux ;)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-His relatively low production might be an indicator of how much 2022 and 2023 draft candidates from OHL were hit by lockdowns. Safe pick.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Great performances in international tournaments. Since Olympics also better in Liiga. Rare combination of size and skill, which comes across once per draft or even less (2023: Fantilli).
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Dilemma Nemec-Jiricek is similar to Heiskanen-Makar one in 2017, where Nemec is the safer pick of the two („Heiskanen“). Compare Nemec to Brandt Clarke's 2020/21 season. Slovakian league is not top-tier, but WC performance matter.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-I am not trying to take anything away from Cooley, but he is smaller player and at the same time scoring-wise not dominant on his own team. I can get similar player a year later, 2023 class is forward-loaded. If I am GM of a rebuilding team, I select Jiricek here. D-men need more time and are more important.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-You want to have him on your team in a playoffs. But because of his style of play you might only get 60 GP out of him per season. In that aspect I compare him to Ekblad. I would love to have Jiricek at no. 2 or 3, but that would be too risky. No. 4 or 5 is OK.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksHis projection as NHL player looks easy. Big forward, possibly center, good goal-scorer, committed to college with good hockey program (Boston). At times his skating has been described as questionable, which it is not.
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Another player with easy projection as NHL player. Strong on his legs, decent size and production. In many aspects similar to Sergachev. Similar production in draft year, where Sergachev was younger, but on a good team.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Riskier pick than Mintyukov, but with higher upside. He has some disadvantages as a consequence of worse leg strenght, which is relatively easy to overcome. June birthday, he has grown a lot over the past year.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-I admit drafting him would make me nervous. His overall Liiga production is great, but since the injury he wasn't the same player. Not great shot selection and small stature, but he can be inventive with his shot.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-He became better as the season came to the end. His play away from the puck is now better, he managed to produce in SHL playoffs. Scouting Combine Testing suggests his legs are NHL-ready.
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Excellent skater, but very risky pick. He is high because I don't see class as very strong. His production on both Liiga teams wasn't great, despite playing with pedestrian linemates. His puck-carrying alone makes him interesting pick.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Creative player many fans are high on. I am cautious about Marner comparisons. In his draft year Marner was head and shoulder above his older teammates on a strong team. Nazar is also slightly shorter, which means extra risk.
13Logo of the New York Islanders-One of the more NHL-ready players of the draft class. But I am taking his production with a grain of salt. He is on a strong team and in a playoffs overshadowed by more than one teammate, including 2023 eligible player (Benson).
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-A player who posses quality that is hard to measure. He can carry his team in a playoffs with clutch performances, especially when in troubles and in goal deficit. He can create offense by himself if he needs to. August birthday.
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-As captain he apparently has played in WJC with leg injury. That's a character/personality you are looking for.
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsExcellent sniper with suspect hockey sense and light frame. 2 red flags combined are a lot.
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-Lumberjack on a skates. High pick for almost exclusively defensive D-man, but he hits adult men hard.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-USA U-18 captain who will find his way to NHL. But the question is his upside.
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-He is just an average forward on his team. There are cheaper options for big C.
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-I just can't overlook he was NTDP's top scorer on every front (USDP, USHL and WJC).
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Very active player every shift. I just can't be sure if his style can be directly transformed to NHL.
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsDisastrous 2nd half of a season. He did nothing to earn more ice time in the KHL.
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
27Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
29Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-His medical treatment is over. He is healthy and can train again. Higher potential than Yurov.
34Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-All-around D-man who is mostly defensively oriented, but can produce if he needs to.
35Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Comparable former Bronco: Heatherington. I don't trust their program – that's why I doubt.
36Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersRoby Jarventie II, same club, stats, draft age and size. However, he could score more in WJC.
37Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Another easy NHL projection, but questionable upside. He is on the same level as season before.
38Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Take his WJC production with caution, a lot was on PP. Also selfish at times.
39Logo of the Ottawa Senators-In all honesty, it's his Scouting Combine performance that I like.
40Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Big and mobile RHD. If you want one, you need to overpay/reach for them.
41Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Projected NHL-er with unclear upside. More was expected in NCAA. Very good at Combine.
42Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-He wasn't able to produce much, but is doing other things. Projected C at NHL level.
43Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose SharksSame AJHL team as Dylan Holloway. He is also as strong and taller, but produces less.
44Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Role player. Power forward with NHL size who can score. Perfect fit for any NHL team.
45Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the New York IslandersFill-in for a team in need of RHD. The best D-man on his QMJHL team.
46Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Winnipeg JetsCheaper option for big C. Probably limited to lower lines at NHL level.
47Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vancouver CanucksPoints leader of young OHL team, over 1 PPG which is not common in this class.
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Easy NHL projection. His father, uncle and cousin have all stayed in college for 3 years.
49Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Nashville PredatorsThe best scorer on his team and the 2nd non-NTDP USHL scorer of first time eligible players.
50Logo of the Dallas Stars-Great D-man from weaker league. Excellent Combine. Worth late 2nd round pick.
51Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The best scorer on his WHL team. 150-155 lbs, he will need 3 more seasons to gain NHL weight.
52Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington CapitalsExtremely disciplined D-man, 2 PIM over the past 2 seasons in all leagues combined.
53Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsStrong offensive numbers in U-20, not so much in SHL. Relatively safe pick with lower upside.
54Logo of the Boston Bruins-
Christian Kyrou
The oldest of 1st time eligible players. What you see might be what you get.
55Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the St. Louis BluesI've been high on him even before WC, but I don't want to reach for a small LW.
56Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
57Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Minnesota Wild
58Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
59Logo of the Calgary Flames-
60Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
61Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Florida Panthers
62Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
63Logo of the New York Rangers-
64Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
65Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Jun. 20, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
awesome post, i like this type of breakdown. thanks!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll