SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

When is a signed player put on a team's NHL roster, and when is a signed player put on the AHL roster?

Jul. 14, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.
NHL teams signed a lot of two-way contracts yesterday and I'm curious why some of those players are now listed on their team's NHL rosters and why others are listed as non-roster/Minors.

Looking at the Avalanche, for example https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

Yesterday they signed Jonas Johansson and Andreas Englund to similar contracts: $750k NHL salary, $200-350k AHL salary, and both are subject to waivers.

Englund is listed on the Avs NHL roster and Johansson is listed as Non-roster.

I'm assuming this is because of the Avalanche specifically signing them in this way, not because of the way that CapFriendly is listing players, right? Englund is actually on the Avs roster, Johansson isn't?

If that's right, why is that the case? What's the difference, seeing as both players have to go through waivers to be sent to the AHL? Did Johansson agree to a contract that STARTED him in the minors, so he doesn't have to go through waivers to be there now? Englund agreed to a contract that started him in the NHL, so now he'd have to go through waivers to be sent down?

What's the situation? How does this get decided?
Jul. 14, 2022 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: rko
NHL teams signed a lot of two-way contracts yesterday and I'm curious why some of those players are now listed on their team's NHL rosters and why others are listed as non-roster/Minors.

Looking at the Avalanche, for example https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

Yesterday they signed Jonas Johansson and Andreas Englund to similar contracts: $750k NHL salary, $200-350k AHL salary, and both are subject to waivers.

I'm assuming this is because of the Avalanche specifically signing them in this way, not because of the way that CapFriendly is listing players, right? Englund is actually on the Avs roster, Johansson isn't?

If that's right, why is that the case? What's the difference, seeing as both players have to go through waivers to be sent to the AHL? Did Johansson agree to a contract that STARTED him in the minors, so he doesn't have to go through waivers to be there now? Englund agreed to a contract that started him in the NHL, so now he'd have to go through waivers to be sent down?

I may be wrong but I dont think it really matters where capfriendly lists them now since everyone will have to pass through waivers at the beginning of the season anyway (unless they are waiver exempt - shown on the Avs page by the green circle with arrow pointing down)

Englund and Johansson will both be on waivers at the beginning of next season just like Megna, Gilbert, Sikura, Sherwood, Gross, etc. were last year unless they make the NHL roster out of camp
Jul. 14, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
Quoting: rko

They’re both on the Avs roster, everyone is on their NHL teams roster to start and then it gets cut down to a 21-23 man roster ( doesn’t matter if you’re waiver exempt or eligible, you start on the NHL teams roster if under contract ). CapFriendly automatically makes each team have a 23 man squad though for easier viewing purposes

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll