SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

Is the team going to look to improve the blueline this year or not?

Jul. 21, 2022 at 5:40 p.m.
Banned
We all know that the team's blueline is in urgent need of improvement if the team wants to open a window of contention long-term, my question is whether or not this issue is going to be addressed this off-season or not.

Obviously going after Marino is no longer an option after being traded, Klingberg is likely two expensive, not to mention he isn't really the type of defender that the Canucks are looking for. I don't see Vegas trading Whitecloud. I'm also glad that the team didn't try to play in the free agent market considering some of the bloated contracts that were given out to guys like Gudbranson, Chiarot, Leddy, and Rutta to name a few. The Brett Kulak signing was good, but I get the sense that he took a bit of a hometown discount to stay in Edmonton

The team isn't in the market for rentals either, so that means Severson and Dumba are off the table. Neither of those defenders are that great either

All this said, I still believe the Canucks can make the playoffs with a mediocre blueline considering we have such a deep forward group and strong goaltending. Also, Myers and Schenn were effective short-term stop gaps on the right side last season, I see no reason why they can't perform to that same level this upcoming season if not better, since management has heavily preached incorporating more structure in the team's defensive system this upcoming season

All in all, we'll see how Trent Cull manages things in his first NHL gig
Jul. 21, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
BRUCE THERE IT IS
Quoting: Knuckl3s
We all know that the team's blueline is in urgent need of improvement if the team wants to open a window of contention long-term, my question is whether or not this issue is going to be addressed this off-season or not.

Obviously going after Marino is no longer an option after being traded, Klingberg is likely two expensive, not to mention he isn't really the type of defender that the Canucks are looking for. I don't see Vegas trading Whitecloud. I'm also glad that the team didn't try to play in the free agent market considering some of the bloated contracts that were given out to guys like Gudbranson, Chiarot, Leddy, and Rutta to name a few. The Brett Kulak signing was good, but I get the sense that he took a bit of a hometown discount to stay in Edmonton

The team isn't in the market for rentals either, so that means Severson and Dumba are off the table. Neither of those defenders are that great either

All this said, I still believe the Canucks can make the playoffs with a mediocre blueline considering we have such a deep forward group and strong goaltending. Also, Myers and Schenn were effective short-term stop gaps on the right side last season, I see no reason why they can't perform to that same level this upcoming season if not better, since management has heavily preached incorporating more structure in the team's defensive system this upcoming season

All in all, we'll see how Trent Cull manages things in his first NHL gig

One of my biggest targets for a JT Miller trade was Vincent Iorio. He would help our blue line around 23-24. After watching some videos and reading scouting reports on him, I’ve felt like he is a less-developed Braden Schneider who we have been targeting (less-developed since he was drafted a year or two after).

And I’ve also seen many Caps fans comfortable with moving him unlike Rangers fans, probably because they just drafted Chesley and Iorio is less NHL-established. But since then, Canucks haven’t traded JT Miller and Caps acquired Strome and Brown, so I think the possibility is less likely unless Caps would go for Miller as a rental.

Just to sum it up, Canucks 100% need to trade Miller as we can’t afford him with Horvat and Pettersson deals coming up and Iorio would be the perfect partner with Hughes as a smooth-skating, defensive guy.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 3:37 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: cooliny
One of my biggest targets for a JT Miller trade was Vincent Iorio. He would help our blue line around 23-24. After watching some videos and reading scouting reports on him, I’ve felt like he is a less-developed Braden Schneider who we have been targeting (less-developed since he was drafted a year or two after).

And I’ve also seen many Caps fans comfortable with moving him unlike Rangers fans, probably because they just drafted Chesley and Iorio is less NHL-established. But since then, Canucks haven’t traded JT Miller and Caps acquired Strome and Brown, so I think the possibility is less likely unless Caps would go for Miller as a rental.

Just to sum it up, Canucks 100% need to trade Miller as we can’t afford him with Horvat and Pettersson deals coming up and Iorio would be the perfect partner with Hughes as a smooth-skating, defensive guy.

Trading Miller for additional help on the blueline would be my first choice as well, but if no team's show enough inclination to part ways with a young RD prospect, and the Canucks are able to convince Miller to take a somewhat team friendly deal, I could theoretically see a scenario where Miller stays long-term. If the Canucks move Myers next off-season after his signing bonus is paid, plus with all the dead money that will come off the books (Holtby + Virtanen buyouts, Halak performance overage), that may very well create enough cap room for both Horvat and Miller extensions, and there may be enough room to keep Hoglander as well.

Then the off-season after that, when Pettersson is due for a new contract, Pearson and Dickinson will come off the books, and that should create enough space for his extension and hopefully be able to re-sign Podkolzin as well
Jul. 22, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
BRUCE THERE IT IS
Trading Miller for additional help on the blueline would be my first choice as well, but if no team's show enough inclination to part ways with a young RD prospect, and the Canucks are able to convince Miller to take a somewhat team friendly deal, I could theoretically see a scenario where Miller stays long-term. If the Canucks move Myers next off-season after his signing bonus is paid, plus with all the dead money that will come off the books (Holtby + Virtanen buyouts, Halak performance overage), that may very well create enough cap room for both Horvat and Miller extensions, and there may be enough room to keep Hoglander as well.

Then the off-season after that, when Pettersson is due for a new contract, Pearson and Dickinson will come off the books, and that should create enough space for his extension and hopefully be able to re-sign Podkolzin as well

Very hard to move money without taking money back as we’ve seen recently
Jul. 22, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: cooliny
Very hard to move money without taking money back as we’ve seen recently

I know, and now Columbus is over the salary cap. Who'da thought?
Jul. 24, 2022 at 12:50 a.m.
2018 Canucks
RHD is priority but most difficult to do.
Chances are slim.
Best hope is for a young RHD prospect imo

Option ‘B’ is just get the best return…
A mid 6C be one piece.
A good prospect.
The obligatory 1st.
Jul. 24, 2022 at 2:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nighthawk
RHD is priority but most difficult to do.
Chances are slim.
Best hope is for a young RHD prospect imo

Option ‘B’ is just get the best return…
A mid 6C be one piece.
A good prospect.
The obligatory 1st.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same, and there is still time to do it. It's not even August yet
Nighthawk liked this.
Jul. 24, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
2018 Canucks
Yeah, I'm thinking the same, and there is still time to do it. It's not even August yet

Yes it’s that or keep exploring offers til the TDL as teams needs intensify or change
Jul. 24, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
Banned
Yes it’s that or keep exploring offers til the TDL as teams needs intensify or change

I personally think that JT's situation will get resolved before training camp, but guys like Pearson, Myers, maybe even guys like Dickinson (if he bounces back), Poolman (if he's healthy), or Garland could be in play come trade deadline
Jul. 24, 2022 at 8:09 p.m.
2018 Canucks
I personally think that JT's situation will get resolved before training camp, but guys like Pearson, Myers, maybe even guys like Dickinson (if he bounces back), Poolman (if he's healthy), or Garland could be in play come trade deadline

Miller resolved before season start I give a 60/40. The posturing will go on only so long on for teams seriously in the running. A cooldown phase is going on imo

Pearson is steady but older & isn’t in demand yet. Maybe the TDL he will be.

Myers is fine & even though many fans want him gone it just isn’t happening.

Poolman is devoid of offence & carries zero value unless only for PO depth.

Garland has an inner fire & I expect he’ll use it to have his best season. Deeper top 9 will help him more than other wingers even though PP TOI isn’t likely to be more. Pod improving will help Garland. Adding Miky as well. If Hog comes with a better rounded game Garland will further benefit. F depth is prettg good.
Jul. 24, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Banned
Miller resolved before season start I give a 60/40. The posturing will go on only so long on for teams seriously in the running. A cooldown phase is going on imo

Pearson is steady but older & isn’t in demand yet. Maybe the TDL he will be.

Myers is fine & even though many fans want him gone it just isn’t happening.

Poolman is devoid of offence & carries zero value unless only for PO depth.

Garland has an inner fire & I expect he’ll use it to have his best season. Deeper top 9 will help him more than other wingers even though PP TOI isn’t likely to be more. Pod improving will help Garland. Adding Miky as well. If Hog comes with a better rounded game Garland will further benefit. F depth is prettg good.

Myers is definitely movable, but if the Canucks aren't satisfied with their ability to monetize him this off-season, they'll wait till next off-season after signing bonuses are paid. I expect Hoglander to bounce back to some degree. Van's forward depth should be enough to overcome a mediocre defense for a playoff berth

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll