Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$69,302,499$1,132,500$5,490,000$13,197,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
Price isn't LTIRetired, he should be back next season. This doesn't work for Montreal cap-wise.

The extra term and salary from a Montreal POV is not even close to worth it, especially since Hutson is probably a better fit for their prospect pool than Knies.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Burnout
Price isn't LTIRetired, he should be back next season. This doesn't work for Montreal cap-wise.

The extra term and salary from a Montreal POV is not even close to worth it, especially since Hutson is probably a better fit for their prospect pool than Knies.

Most habs ACGMs I see have him on LTIR. Therefore, he is on LTIR. Notion is is that he may never play again.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: Cardiac
Most habs ACGMs I see have him on LTIR. Therefore, he is on LTIR. Notion is is that he may never play again.

They can have him on LTIR all they want, most actual reporting is inconclusive/leaning to him playing at some point next season.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Mr.

Idk about that. Guhle, Harris, Hutson, Xehkaj and Norrlinder are all LD. Meanwhile they only have Barron and that Mailloux kid on RD. They need to swap some prospects for sure.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: Ploppz
Idk about that. Guhle, Harris, Hutson, Xehkaj and Norrlinder are all LD. Meanwhile they only have Barron and that Mailloux kid on RD. They need to swap some prospects for sure.

Knies is LW, not a RD. And Montreal has more at LW in their prospect pool than any other position in terms of upside.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
Mr.
I'm well aware of Knies position, I was merely responding to you thinking an LD is a better fit than pretty much any other position for the Habs considering how loaded they are on LD prospects.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: Ploppz
I'm well aware of Knies position, I was merely responding to you thinking an LD is a better fit than pretty much any other position for the Habs considering how loaded they are on LD prospects.

They aren't loaded on LD prospects. Guhle is probably the only high end LD prospect, with Hutson 2nd. Harris, Xehkaj and Norlinder are interesting prospects, but they don't make most league-wide ranking of prospects. Montreal has Slafkovsky, Roy and Farrell at LW, all of whom have been recognized league-wide.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:24 p.m.
Banned
They aren't loaded on LD prospects. Guhle is probably the only high end LD prospect, with Hutson 2nd. Harris, Xehkaj and Norlinder are interesting prospects, but they don't make most league-wide ranking of prospects. Montreal has Slafkovsky, Roy and Farrell at LW, all of whom have been recognized league-wide.

Roy is going to be a bust. Farrell is up in the air. Slafs international play carried his stock. If kemell put up the exact same stats in international play, he would have been the consensus #1 pick. Kemell was twice as efficient in the LIIGA than slafkovsky was. Kemell also averaged only two more minutes per game. Slafkovsky averaged one point per every 44 minutes in the LIIGA. Kemell averaged a point per every 27 minutes in the LIIGA. Based on production, kemell was 1.6x more efficient. Not saying slaf will be a bust, but he isn’t as good as habs fans make him out to be.

If you want to see why I believe Roy will be a bust see this post, it’s not an exact science but looking at the underlying facts, he is trending towards not being as good as habs fans think he will be.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3565656
Aug. 8, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
Roy is going to be a bust. Farrell is up in the air. Slafs international play carried his stock. If kemell put up the exact same stats in international play, he would have been the consensus #1 pick.

Your argument is that if Kemell had the same stats in international play, which are among the best we've seen in god knows how long, he would be the consensus #1 OA pick? I mean, sure. He didn't do that though because its really hard for a draft eligible player to do that in two tournaments. Which is why Slafkovsky's stock went up. Because players that can have the production and on-ice impact that he had against men is really rare.

Kemell was twice as efficient in the LIIGA than slafkovsky was. Kemell also averaged only two more minutes per game. Slafkovsky averaged one point per every 44 minutes in the LIIGA. Kemell averaged a point per every 27 minutes in the LIIGA. Based on production, kemell was 1.6x more efficient. Not saying slaf will be a bust, but he isn’t as good as habs fans make him out to be.

He literally just went first overall. And it wasn't as though he was big reach either. And even the Liiga argument doesn't make sense because Slafkovksy was trending in the right direction and Kemmell was trending in the wrong direction. That doesn't even get into the issues of basing prospect quality on solely point production, which is generally a bad idea.

If you want to see why I believe Roy will be a bust see this post, it’s not an exact science but looking at the underlying facts, he is trending towards not being as good as habs fans think he will be.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3565656

That's a very detailed analysis, but not nearly broad enough to have any real meaning. Or well reasoned. Again, there's the issue of only looking at production. But more than that, it ignores a lot of prospects. Its also misses the real reason to use production as a measure, because it allows for comparison. Looking at it this way requires far more detailed analysis, otherwise its just an exercise in confirming your biases.

Just looking at the Q, your analysis misses Meier, Couturier, Palat and Mercer. It also overrates other prospects. Its basically taking NHLe and then adding a non-statistical analysis with a half hashed out pattern you noticed.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Banned
Your argument is that if Kemell had the same stats in international play, which are among the best we've seen in god knows how long, he would be the consensus #1 OA pick? I mean, sure. He didn't do that though because its really hard for a draft eligible player to do that in two tournaments. Which is why Slafkovsky's stock went up. Because players that can have the production and on-ice impact that he had against men is really rare.

He literally just went first overall. And it wasn't as though he was big reach either. And even the Liiga argument doesn't make sense because Slafkovksy was trending in the right direction and Kemmell was trending in the wrong direction. That doesn't even get into the issues of basing prospect quality on solely point production, which is generally a bad idea.

That's a very detailed analysis, but not nearly broad enough to have any real meaning. Or well reasoned. Again, there's the issue of only looking at production. But more than that, it ignores a lot of prospects. Its also misses the real reason to use production as a measure, because it allows for comparison. Looking at it this way requires far more detailed analysis, otherwise its just an exercise in confirming your biases.

Just looking at the Q, your analysis misses Meier, Couturier, Palat and Mercer. It also overrates other prospects. Its basically taking NHLe and then adding a non-statistical analysis with a half hashed out pattern you noticed.

1) I say kemell would have been the consensus because of the fact he produced at a better rate than slaf and if his stock had risen like Slafs did, he would have been the clear choice. Here is sports nets ranking pre world juniors

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/sportsnets-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december-edition/sn-amp/

2) I see what you mean with trending in the right direction vs wrong but if you look at other LIIGA forward prospects who trended in the right direction, it’s a mixed bag. Again, prospects are unpredictable but based on what I have seen, slafkovsky is a physically dominant forward who gives me hints of puljujarvi. I don’t use that comparison as a slight to slafkovsky. Both are physically imposing forwards who in their draft year, tore up international tournaments but their club play didn’t see much progression. Both trended in the right direction heading into the draft and both were selected high in the draft. If Winnipeg wasn’t looking for a center, puljujarvi would have been the third pick. I am not saying slafkovsky will be what puljujarvi is but rather there are a lot of uncanny parallels in their game. If montreal handles his development correctly, he won’t be a bust but as of now, I am skeptical of him. I personally think he would have been a better fit in NJ because the chance of him being rushed into the NHL is much lower. It can be seen with a lot of top prospects that when you let them marinate outside of the NHL, they are much better players.

3) I do agree it is not nearly broad enough as I simply took the top scoring prospect from each league over the course of 11 years. 32 players I agree isn’t enough but it is surely a start. If you do look at the players you have said I have left out, Meier in his D+1 year lead his team by .28 and .01, couturier in his D+1 year lead by .08, palat was 2nd on his team in his D+1 year, and mercer lead by .1 in his D+1 year. There are solid arguments to display why these are flukes and could “further my bias”. Mercers D+1 year was Covid and wasn’t a good way to determine actual development. Couturier played with a Palat. While it obviously shows that both break the mold, see who was the next highest scorer after them. And for Meier, he was traded mid season and to a much better team. If he had continued his play with his original team, I believe he would have furthered his gap as he was far and away the best player on his team. As for Roy, he was clearly the best player on his team but he did not cement himself as far and away the best player. He could prove me wrong but if I were to take a larger metric with the top scorers from every CHL team from any given year, we would likely see a very similar trend. Obviously there are circumstantial differences but 3/4 players you mentioned were lottery picks and had lackluster D+1 years. Their jump in production was not close to Roy’s which is pretty unsustainable to maintain. The only one who had a similar jump that you mentioned was palat who gets the survivors glory. Take the other mid to late round draft picks who had similar jumps in production, most don’t wind up as that great of players. That being said as well, Roy’s jump wasn’t close to palats and that is likely partly due to not playing with a couturier caliber player but I believe if he were to have played with a similar caliber player, he wouldn’t have made the the massive jump palat did.

I do acknowledge I am valuing these players based on production and numbers, but I also didn’t choose certain players that helped the metric, just the highest point producing player in every league. I am creating a program that tracks a players production in relation to teammates and once it is done, it will show what I predict to be a very detailed analysis of said players. I will show you it when it is done but as of now there are a lot of variables that go into it.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
1) I say kemell would have been the consensus because of the fact he produced at a better rate than slaf and if his stock had risen like Slafs did, he would have been the clear choice. Here is sports nets ranking pre world juniors

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/sportsnets-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december-edition/sn-amp/

2) I see what you mean with trending in the right direction vs wrong but if you look at other LIIGA forward prospects who trended in the right direction, it’s a mixed bag. Again, prospects are unpredictable but based on what I have seen, slafkovsky is a physically dominant forward who gives me hints of puljujarvi. I don’t use that comparison as a slight to slafkovsky. Both are physically imposing forwards who in their draft year, tore up international tournaments but their club play didn’t see much progression. Both trended in the right direction heading into the draft and both were selected high in the draft. If Winnipeg wasn’t looking for a center, puljujarvi would have been the third pick. I am not saying slafkovsky will be what puljujarvi is but rather there are a lot of uncanny parallels in their game. If montreal handles his development correctly, he won’t be a bust but as of now, I am skeptical of him. I personally think he would have been a better fit in NJ because the chance of him being rushed into the NHL is much lower. It can be seen with a lot of top prospects that when you let them marinate outside of the NHL, they are much better players.

3) I do agree it is not nearly broad enough as I simply took the top scoring prospect from each league over the course of 11 years. 32 players I agree isn’t enough but it is surely a start. If you do look at the players you have said I have left out, Meier in his D+1 year lead his team by .28 and .01, couturier in his D+1 year lead by .08, palat was 2nd on his team in his D+1 year, and mercer lead by .1 in his D+1 year. There are solid arguments to display why these are flukes and could “further my bias”. Mercers D+1 year was Covid and wasn’t a good way to determine actual development. Couturier played with a Palat. While it obviously shows that both break the mold, see who was the next highest scorer after them. And for Meier, he was traded mid season and to a much better team. If he had continued his play with his original team, I believe he would have furthered his gap as he was far and away the best player on his team. As for Roy, he was clearly the best player on his team but he did not cement himself as far and away the best player. He could prove me wrong but if I were to take a larger metric with the top scorers from every CHL team from any given year, we would likely see a very similar trend. Obviously there are circumstantial differences but 3/4 players you mentioned were lottery picks and had lackluster D+1 years. Their jump in production was not close to Roy’s which is pretty unsustainable to maintain. The only one who had a similar jump that you mentioned was palat who gets the survivors glory. Take the other mid to late round draft picks who had similar jumps in production, most don’t wind up as that great of players. That being said as well, Roy’s jump wasn’t close to palats and that is likely partly due to not playing with a couturier caliber player but I believe if he were to have played with a similar caliber player, he wouldn’t have made the the massive jump palat did.

I do acknowledge I am valuing these players based on production and numbers, but I also didn’t choose certain players that helped the metric, just the highest point producing player in every league. I am creating a program that tracks a players production in relation to teammates and once it is done, it will show what I predict to be a very detailed analysis of said players. I will show you it when it is done but as of now there are a lot of variables that go into it.

1) That means nothing though. Players are picked for what they do and how they project, not based on what they can hypothetically do.

2) I guess. You could also compare Slafkovsky to Rantanen. At the end of the say you can play this game with any prospect, but there's no

3) You get that your explanations cause more issues, since they basically de-legitimize the theory. To be clear, I don't think Roy is close to being the most egregious of the bust candidates, just the one relevant to this thread.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Banned
1) That means nothing though. Players are picked for what they do and how they project, not based on what they can hypothetically do.

2) I guess. You could also compare Slafkovsky to Rantanen. At the end of the say you can play this game with any prospect, but there's no

3) You get that your explanations cause more issues, since they basically de-legitimize the theory. To be clear, I don't think Roy is close to being the most egregious of the bust candidates, just the one relevant to this thread.

Players are literally drafted about what they can hypothetically do in the NHL. What a player does and how they project is literally what a player could hypothetically do.

Slaf and rantanen were completely different prospects. Rants didn’t see his stock rise in the draft due to international play. I compared puljujarvi to slafkovsky and it’s not a one off based on size but rather he is the most comparable in terms of why he was drafted at that location based on club play and international play.

You may think they delegitimize the theory but really you just took the exception and asked to compare it to norm. If you want I will take the 100+ NHL players who were products of the Q and show why I believe they will be what they are. Roy I believe will be a bust based on his NHL comps.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll