Published: May 24, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
GM: Botterill
HC: Housley

C: Eichel
A: O'Reilly
A: Okposo

Cap dump for Montreal, Girgensons is cheap and can play center or wing in the bottom 6, still with plenty of potential to grow into more. Montreal gives up a 2nd to be able to sign Radulov again or whatever.

Wild solve their protection issues, moving Brodin as well as Nino in exchange for a top 10 pick in the draft, Reinhart, who can play center or wing, and Fasching who is close to NHL ready and would fit well in the bottom 6 on the Wild. Reinhart also let's them move Coyle to the wing.

I understand they're trading a 20-25 goal scorer and a top 4 defenseman. Way I see it is they're getting a top 6 center/winger with a ton of playmaking ability, young winger who should slot into the middle 6 as he grows, and a young defenseman to add depth to their blueline, all on their entry level contracts, and 8th overall can restock the defensive prospect pool or be flipped for further assets. I'd say that's fair for a team that's looking for cap room and expansion answers so they don't lose someone for nothing.

Sabres don't really have a need for the bigger free agents anymore, they've done their spending. I'd be interested in Bonino this year but that's about it. Don't think Williams would come here, not looking to add Vanek back either. We have to promote from within and find those depth players as the dust settles and the bad contracts start to fall off.
Sabres end up with more than enough room to re-sign Eichel next year, as well as Kane if they take that route.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$675,000
2$675,000
3$2,400,000
2$650,000
4$3,900,000
3$950,000
2$975,000
5$5,150,000
2$1,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Antipin, Viktor
1$925,000
1$950,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Plekanec, Tomas
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
    Rights to RFA Zemgus Girgensons
    BUF
    1. Brodin, Jonas
    Additional Details:
    Rights to RFA Nino Niederreiter
    MIN
    1. Fasching, Hudson
    2. Nelson, Casey
    3. Reinhart, Sam
    4. 2017 1st round pick (BUF)
    5. 2018 4th round pick (BUF)
    BUF
    VGK
    1. Moulson, Matt
    2. 2017 3rd round pick (WSH)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$73,000,000$60,231,191$0$3,250,000$12,768,809

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $689,167$689,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,875,000$1,875,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $5,150,000$5,150,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $4,600,000$4,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $718,333$718,333 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,166,667$4,166,667
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    Antipin, Viktor
    $925,000$925,000
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $5,142,857$5,142,857
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $975,000$975,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 24, 2017 at 8:52 p.m.
    WentWughes
    If that trade for Montreal actually happened, That would be the best trade Bergevin has ever made
    May 25, 2017 at 4:52 a.m.
    Edited May 25, 2017 at 4:58 a.m.
    I agree with that guy ^ ^ ^
    Plekanec? Ugh... no freaking thank you
    Is he even better than Girgensons at this point?
    We'd get a 2nd also, but I'd rather just keep Girgs bc I think both he & Ennis can bounce back under a new coach
    If we did wanna bring in another Center, I like your Bonino idea if he'd come here. Probably not though.
    Maybe try to sign someone like Hanzal or Boyle to an overpayment of a 1year deal. If we are in the playoffs, great. And if not, they can be moved to a contender for a pretty decent return at the deadline

I like the guys we're getting from Minny,
    but I think u gave up too much
    8th overall should be enough for Brodin
    And Reinhart is worth more than Niederreiter
    What I'd really like to do there, is make that deal while keeping Reinhart. Leave all the other pieces u gave up...
    but take Pominville off their hands to ease their Cap & expansion issues
    So basically...
    8th overall for Brodin, that definitely works imo
    Then for Niederreiter, we take Pommer's contract, and we give them Fasching & Nelson, and instead of the 4th we give them back their own 2nd round pick
    That would be freaking great if they'd go for it

Then our lineup would look like:
    Ennis-Eichel-Okposo... Ennis gets a shot to produce
    **** -O'Reilly-Pominville... can score a bit & defend
    Kane-Reinhart-Niederreiter... matchup nightmare
    For LW on the O'Reilly line, let the young guys fight it out
    Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues
    Then the rest fight it out for 4th line duty
    Also, if Ennis isn't cutting it with Jack, one of them can get their chance with him

Defense also looks better...
    Brodin-Risto
    McCabe-Antipin
    Guhle-Bogo
    Falk

And we still have picks & decent young forward prospects that we can try & move for another defenseman of possible as well
    May 25, 2017 at 5:23 a.m.
    wild
    Alex Nylander + Sam Reinhart for Nino Niderrieter+Jonas Brodin
    May 25, 2017 at 7:45 a.m.
    Plekanec is a better player right now than Girgensons. He can take away 25% of ROR draws in the DZone so ROR can spend more time scoring. It's veteran depth that will improve our team right now and provide long term assets. Win win.
    tunafishwilliams liked this.
    May 25, 2017 at 7:49 a.m.
    And @frodobeggins nope.
    May 25, 2017 at 11:41 a.m.
    Quoting: Jdfitz77
    I agree with that guy ^ ^ ^
    Plekanec? Ugh... no freaking thank you
    Is he even better than Girgensons at this point?
    We'd get a 2nd also, but I'd rather just keep Girgs bc I think both he & Ennis can bounce back under a new coach
    If we did wanna bring in another Center, I like your Bonino idea if he'd come here. Probably not though.
    Maybe try to sign someone like Hanzal or Boyle to an overpayment of a 1year deal. If we are in the playoffs, great. And if not, they can be moved to a contender for a pretty decent return at the deadline

I like the guys we're getting from Minny,
    but I think u gave up too much
    8th overall should be enough for Brodin
    And Reinhart is worth more than Niederreiter
    What I'd really like to do there, is make that deal while keeping Reinhart. Leave all the other pieces u gave up...
    but take Pominville off their hands to ease their Cap & expansion issues
    So basically...
    8th overall for Brodin, that definitely works imo
    Then for Niederreiter, we take Pommer's contract, and we give them Fasching & Nelson, and instead of the 4th we give them back their own 2nd round pick
    That would be freaking great if they'd go for it

Then our lineup would look like:
    Ennis-Eichel-Okposo... Ennis gets a shot to produce
    **** -O'Reilly-Pominville... can score a bit & defend
    Kane-Reinhart-Niederreiter... matchup nightmare
    For LW on the O'Reilly line, let the young guys fight it out
    Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues
    Then the rest fight it out for 4th line duty
    Also, if Ennis isn't cutting it with Jack, one of them can get their chance with him

Defense also looks better...
    Brodin-Risto
    McCabe-Antipin
    Guhle-Bogo
    Falk

And we still have picks & decent young forward prospects that we can try & move for another defenseman of possible as well

At first I thought I might be giving up too much too but here's how I look at it. Reinhart for Brodin, then 8th, Fasching, and Nelson for Nino. I think Sam does have a lot of value but I think Nino still has slightly more. Sam had a down year and did not show the same things he showed in his first year. I also think he's more effective at center, and I'd rather move him for assets than bury him on the third line. Nino is a proven goal scorer, having scored 20+ each of the last three years, all while continuing to raise his assists as well and become a more complete player. His possession numbers are also much better than Sam's.
    Fasching could grow into a middle 6 role on the offense, but we're stocked at RW and I feel he is the most expendable. He fits that western conference style, and if we want speed then Nylander, Bailey, and Baptiste should be our choices. Nelson could be a good depth guy and maybe grow into like a 4-5 role, but it gives them something to throw back into the pipeline in the loss of Brodin and MAYBE someone else should they make other moves.
    The 8th overall pick is what seals the deal I think, and I don't mind giving it up. Weaker draft, and we have our core pieces in place. It gives them another controllable asset for years to come, or ammunition to make another trade. Maybe it is a little overpayment, but, yeah they might lose Brodin for nothing, but we wouldn't be the only team calling. And they're not just going to give away Nino. We're going to have to compete with offers from other teams and I think someone's gonna pay a little too much regardless. I'm happy to take that challenge with this package.

Quoting: FrodoBeggins
    Alex Nylander + Sam Reinhart for Nino Niderrieter+Jonas Brodin

Pass on that one.

Quoting: Jbarre6
    Plekanec is a better player right now than Girgensons. He can take away 25% of ROR draws in the DZone so ROR can spend more time scoring. It's veteran depth that will improve our team right now and provide long term assets. Win win.

Exactly my thought process. I like Girgensons, and I think he could have a bounce back year, but at least Plekanec is a known quantity. Sure he's older but I think he fits that 3rd line center role perfectly, and still has a little more playmaking ability than Girgensons does. Evan showed that he could handle 4th line duties at the end of last year, looking much more comfortable in the NHL than he did in the AHL and I think it's fair he gets a shot to stick with the club. Larsson can also play center or we can sign a depth guy still such as Boyle to fill that fourth line role. The 2nd round pick can be packaged at the deadline to acquire more pieces if we're making a run, or you flip Plekanec for additional picks and try and get some of that organizational depth back that Murray dealt away.
    May 26, 2017 at 6:38 p.m.
    Minnesota would take it if you took Pomminville too.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll