SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 Prospect Updates

Jan. 20, 2023 at 8:46 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Moldenhauer with the assists on both goals on this play, giving him 37 points in 28 games this season.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel one will be traded this TDL. As with the limited picks guys like these (minus Holmberg) will be used

And im semi okay with it as if we can turn Steeves into Zach Parise whose making less and is doing very well got to explore it

I would not trade Steeves for Parise. Steeves will be a regular next season
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
I would not trade Steeves for Parise. Steeves will be a regular next season

I would as where is steeves gonna play. As when Knies and Robertson are in and then u factor McMann and Holmberg no more spots (Dubas or whoever's GM will make FA signings to)

Were not gonna have a bottom 6 of youngsters as there will be some vets/free agent signings . So some will be moved and with his value being up hes probs one of em. As u got to give to get
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I would as where is steeves gonna play. As when Knies and Robertson are in and then u factor McMann and Holmberg no more spots

Were not gonna have a bottom 6 of youngsters some will be moved and he will probs be one of em

If I were to trade a prospect at the TDL, it would be Knies for a Meiers level player. If not, then I'd only consider moving picks. Leafs either need a forward that will push the needle and shouldn't be trading young, cheap, NHL ready prospects for depth rentals
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:27 p.m.
If I were to trade a prospect at the TDL, it would be Knies for a Meiers level player. If not, then I'd only consider moving picks. Leafs either need a forward that will push the needle and shouldn't be trading young, cheap, NHL ready prospects for depth rentals

Steeves in general was a nice find but Dubas can turn him into value via the TDL. Parise is making 750k and has 13 goals and 20 points and is on pace for 25 goals. If NYI called and said give u him for Steeves take it and run as ironically Parise is the cheaper guy and if u could extend him like Gio we set. And if not hey no harm no foul as not everyone who looks good in the AHL can adapt to the NHL and being on our 4th line wont do a lot for him and his playstyle and I doubt wee see a bunch of youngsters in our bottom 6 there will be vets and FA signings to plug holes.

But in general trading our 1st ranked prospect and keeping the lesser guys doesnt seem right in the grand scheme. U want to try and keep the better ones while selling on the mid levels first. Unless u get a deal of a lifetime and while Meier could be that he also will give the GM headaches come 2023-2024 in terms of how to make the cap work and sure u could move WN but then will other teams give back fair value.

Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Steeves in general was a nice find but Dubas can turn him into value via the TDL. Parise is making 750k and has 13 goals and 20 points and is on pace for 25 goals. If NYI called and said give u him for Steeves take it and run as ironically Parise is the cheaper guy and if u could extend him like Gio we set. And if not hey no harm no foul as not everyone who looks good in the AHL can adapt to the NHL and being on our 4th line wont do a lot for him and his playstyle.

But in general trading our 1st ranked prospect and keeping the lesser guys doesnt seem right in the grand scheme. U want to try and keep the better ones while selling on the mid levels first

What I meant is that if you're trading prospects, go for the big fish. Meier is the only player I would realistically trade Knies for. He helps us in the now and potentially into the future. Outside of that, Id hang onto the rest of our prospects
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
What I meant is that if you're trading prospects, go for the big fish. Meier is the only player I would realistically trade Knies for. He helps us in the now and potentially into the future. Outside of that, Id hang onto the rest of our prospects

U trade prospects for pieces both big and small

Like Parise is making 750k and is on pace for 25 goals. Thats value right there that wont cost Knies.

If NYI called and said give u Parise for Steeves im packing Steeves bags as how many less than league min players are doing what Parise's doing. Not many at all

So in a sense he will be a big piece that teams will bid heavily on
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

🤤
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

🤤

And someone wants to trade him. Even if its Meier the headache scenario thats gonna cause come next season has me like just trade for someone else who wont give us a headache financially lul

And heck even if we do get Meir there are other options to make a good package to where u dont need Knies
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
And someone wants to trade him. Even if its Meier the headache scenario thats gonna cause come next season has me like just trade for someone else who wont give us a headache financially lul

I get the argument for it. There is no guarantee Knies is anything close to Meier at the NHL level. It will fukcin suck if Knies ends up just being an energy 4th line guy.

But as a fan I’ve waited a long time for the Leafs to have a drafted and developed power fwd of their own.

I change my mind everyday on what the Leafs should do lol

I also believe it will be Abruzzese not Steeves who teams will be asking for
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
I get the argument for it. There is no guarantee Knies is anything close to Meier at the NHL level. It will fukcin suck if Knies ends up just being an energy 4th line guy.

But as a fan I’ve waited a long time for the Leafs to have a drafted and developed power fwd of their own.

I change my mind everyday on what the Leafs should do lol

I also believe it will be Abruzzese not Steeves who teams will be asking for

I feel with Robertson out Abruzzese and Steeves will be like the main ask behind Minten and Niemela.

Now to me I would package off Minten and Niemela over Knies for someone like Meier as when u look at Knies resume its nuts

2 WJC, Olympics, etc in 1.5 seasons... wow And he did all that before turning 20

And we got to many RD rn so Niemela really wont have a spot and Minten's development will probs push to 2025 or 2026 and we dont got time to wait.

Like to me Knies is the future and when u got an org that excited about him they know hes got to be special. As Dubas turned down a Hagel and MAF trade to keep him thats how much they like him. If he can basically become Hyman 2.0 and just mesh well with Matthews and Marner man we gonna have some fun.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Joseph Woll stops 29 of 32. He's now 11-0.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Joseph Woll stops 29 of 32. He's now 11-0.

Joseph Woll is gonna create a scenerio that has me happy and concerned

As I remember seeing this scenario back in 2019 and it didnt go well

Remember Curtis McElhinney vs. Sparks

I feel its gonna be Samsonov vs. Woll for 2023

Man I really hope we dont see a repeat pls I cant do it again lul

But if he succeeds then yea who cares. As he could be the next Skinner or young Cane goalie (forget his name)
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Joseph Woll is gonna create a scenerio that has me happy and concerned

As I remember seeing this scenario back in 2019 and it didnt go well

Remember Curtis McElhinney vs. Sparks

I feel its gonna be Samsonov vs. Woll for 2023

Man I really hope we dont see a repeat pls I cant do it again lul

But if he succeeds then yea who cares. As he could be the next Skinner or young Cane goalie (forget his name)

Pyotr Kochetkov

That would be great
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Pyotr Kochetkov

That would be great

I wish he had one more year of waiver clearence as man it would be perfect

Use Sammy/Murray one more year and then for 2024-2025 Sammy/Woll tandem

Also yea that guy. Came out of no where and surprisingly is doing very well
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:52 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I wish he had one more year of waiver clearence as man it would be perfect

Use Sammy/Murray one more year and then for 2024-2025 Sammy/Woll tandem

Also yea that guy. Came out of no where and surprisingly is doing very well

He was ranked as the top eligible international goaltender for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, and was drafted in the second round (36th overall) by the Hurricanes.

The pedigree was there
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
Amirov Forever

And heck even if we do get Meir there are other options to make a good package to where u dont need Knies

Timo Meier has 26 goals in the NHL. Matt Knies has 13 goals in the NCAA. If the Sharks are giving you Meier and all they want is Knies, you make that trade every single time 🤷‍♂️

Dont misconstrue this as me hating on Knies, because I absolutely love the player he is, but hoping for him to reach the same level as Meier is a huge stretch
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
Timo Meier has 26 goals in the NHL. Matt Knies has 13 goals in the NCAA. If the Sharks are giving you Meier and all they want is Knies, you make that trade every single time 🤷‍♂️

But the problem is then how do u afford him next season

U got to trade Willy. If u keep Knies u get to keep Willy then in 2024 when the Cap has a bigger jump extend Willy. Basically saves them a headache or the risk of losing a WN trade

Meier would be nice but the finances are just not there beyond this year unless u move on from Willy and that could cause other issues value wise. Now if the cap would have gone up to 88mill then yea go get Meier but its just to tricky rn.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
He was ranked as the top eligible international goaltender for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, and was drafted in the second round (36th overall) by the Hurricanes.

The pedigree was there

Funny thing was they were always viewing Eetu as the next guy when having a chat. They thought he was the #2 or 3

Well those ideas went out the window lul
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Then how do u afford him next season

U got to trade Willy. If u keep Knies u get to keep Willy then in 2024 when the Cap has a bigger jump extend Willy. Basically saves them a headache or the risk of losing a WN trade

I don't get how keeping Knies relates to keeping Nylander. If you want to extent Meier, you let Kampf walk, trade Samsonov's RFA rights for picks, and then rely on guys like Robertson, Steeves, and Holmberg to fill out the rest of the roster:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Meier - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
McMann - Player X - Steeves
Player X

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Player X

Murray
Woll

I really don't think the Leafs are going to go out and get Meier, and would much rather go down the Garland route, but if management decides that Meier is the proper course of action then Knies is as good as gone. Trading Knies really doesn't implicate our cap too heavily, and while I would like to keep him, Meier is a more sure bet
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I don't get how keeping Knies relates to keeping Nylander. If you want to extent Meier, you let Kampf walk, trade Samsonov's RFA rights for picks, and then rely on guys like Robertson, Steeves, and Holmberg to fill out the rest of the roster:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Meier - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
McMann - Player X - Steeves
Player X

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins
Player X

Murray
Woll

I really don't think the Leafs are going to go out and get Meier, and would much rather go down the Garland route, but if management decides that Meier is the proper course of action then Knies is as good as gone. Trading Knies really doesn't implicate our cap too heavily, and while I would like to keep him, Meier is a more sure bet

In 2023 Leafs sign Knies to an ELC and he can slot in and combined his and Willy's cap hit would probs = what Meier's extension would be

Thats the connection. U trade Knies to get Meier u also lose WN come the summer as we cant keep Meier and WN on the same team beyond one season. So basically your moving 2 guys to keep one.

Also I dont see Dubas having that many young guys in next years lineup if hes even GM. There will be veteran wings and centers signed who can make an impact as if u look at every contender not many are using this many youth in their lineups especially in the bottom 6.

Probs will see Robertson, Holmberg, and one of McMann, Steeves, or Abruzzese.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
In 2023 Leafs sign Knies to an ELC and he can slot in and combined his and Willy's cap hit would probs = what Meier's extension would be

Thats the connection. U trade Knies to get Meier u also lose WN come the summer as we cant keep Meier and WN on the same team beyond one season. So basically your moving 2 guys to keep one.

Again, I dont think the Leafs should target Meier, but it would be a very fun acquisition. My ideal get is Garland, but I genuinely have no idea what we target at this TDL. I would much rather keep knies
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Again, I dont think the Leafs should target Meier, but it would be a very fun acquisition. My ideal get is Garland, but I genuinely have no idea what we target at this TDL. I would much rather keep knies

I feel Dubas is gonna go back and make a deal with St. Louis for Acciari to shore the bottom 6

After that no idea

As when Dubas targets someone and misses but that someone becomes available via TDL hes gonna go get him and I dont mind

Cause Acciari is a nice 3c/4th line RW option
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:32 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

🤤
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 20, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Fm91W2YXoAEGWzY?format=jpg&name=large

Special player

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: