SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

1st shot at '23 draft.

1st shot at '23 draft.

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: benjgc
Published: Mar. 1, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Description
Lottery conducted here on CF. 1st-round picks outside the lottery (i.e. 17-32) assigned based on The Athletic's odds for playoffs finishes.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue Jackets (1→1)
  2. Logo of the St. Louis BluesSt. Louis Blues (9→2)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus stays put in the lottery and drafts the franchise player they've lacked since Rick Nash. Massive karmic payoff for this team, and Bedard gets Johnny Gaudreau on his wing. Should be a lot of fun.
2Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues hit the lotto and get their future ROR replacement. Fantilli is a tremendous fit for them. Nice bonus that it's an American team that gets to draft Fantilli.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-No-brainer here for the Ducks in this spot, IMO. Carlsson gives them size and skill down the middle, and will be a nice middle-6 guy already when the Ducks move on from Henrique in a couple years. Only question is if the Ducks want to roll the dice on Michkov coming over when Zegras/McTavish/Drysdale are nearing their ceilings.
4Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-If there's a single NHL team for which Michkov fits into the timeline, it's the Blackhawks. They're not gonna contend anytime before he comes over, so this suits them just fine.
5Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Benson goes to a team that has depth down the middle for the next several seasons but could use more skill on the wing. However, I think the Sharks need a left-shot D far more; too bad there aren't any great ones in this year's crop.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Even after going with Cooley and Geekie last year, Arizona still needs more depth down the middle. Smith makes a ton of sense here.
7Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Sale is a temptation here, but the Canucks lack anything resembling center depth in the system, and they took Lekkerimaki last year, so I think they go with Dvorsky.
8Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Tough spot here for the Flyers, who I think would prefer a center to address the lack of depth in the system, or even a top-flight defender. Absent that, though, they go BPA with Sale. Could see a trade down here, somewhere between 10 and 13.
9Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal doesn't need to reach for a center, and they've got enough in the pipeline at D as well. Plus, we've seen MSL get the most out of undersized wingers before, so Cristall seems a good fit. Wonder if they package their two picks to move up for Benson or Michkov if either falls out of the top 5.
10Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Caps tend to like size in their forward group, and Wood offers that in spades. If he can move back to the middle, so much the better.
11Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-With young talent all over the place, Yzerman doesn't truly have a single position of need, so he can go with a BPA approach here. Moore has a Detroit-style game; his ceiling isn't the highest of the players left on the board, but he's got a high floor.
12Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Sens are likely less than thrilled that most of the top centers are off the board here. But they have a greater need at right-shot D anyway in their pipeline, and ASP represents a good option. Could be a trade-back candidate.
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-Snagging Schaefer in the deal with Edmonton helped build up the wing strength for the Preds, but they are CONSTANTLY in need of more help down the middle. Given that, you'd probably expect a center pick. But the aging group on D needs reinforcements badly. I think Nashville goes D and grabs Dragicevic, hoping he can partner and learn from Josi by 2025 or 2026.
14Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersPick number two for Montreal, and they've already hit the wing once. For balance, let's give them a defenseman who can move the puck and rack up the points. Gulyayev fits the bill.
15Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Ah, to be a Sabres fan for the next several years. You've got tons of young D talent, tremendous skill at center locked up for the long term, and exciting talents coming on the wing, too. I think they go with their BPA on their board here, and I'm betting that's Heidt; after all, you can never have too much depth at center.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Well, someone has to fall just short of the playoffs, and this year it's Calgary. The Flames need help at D long-term, and especially at RD. So Reinbacher is a great fit in their system.
17Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Canucks pick here, after the Isles fall in the first round of the playoffs. They snag Barlow from a skid after they tabbed Dvorsky earlier. Not bad.
18Logo of the Vancouver CanucksLogo of the New York IslandersPittsburgh picks here after a first-round exit. Pittsburgh needs help everywhere. Brayden Yager is the BPA on the board for me here, and is a nice prospect for a system that sorely needs it.
19Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Winnipeg picks here after a first-round exit. No need to reach for a D, but with PLD likely leaving sooner than later, I think they need more center depth. Calum Ritchie just FEELS like a Jet already, so that's my pick for them.
20Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNashville picks here after Edmonton falls in the first round of the playoffs. After grabbing a defenseman at 13, they get their center here. Danielson's a hard worker and a good fit.
21Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Seattle picks here after a first-round exit. Kraken need to fill out their pipeline basically everywhere, but I don't think they reach for one of Price or Lindstein here; maybe they try to trade back. If they can't, Musty seems like a fit for what Francis is building.
22Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Wild pick here after a first-round exit (tough luck facing the Avs). The Wild need center depth, and likely would have wanted Danielson if he fell here. Gavin Brindley is super talented, and has a high motor to boot. I think that makes him the guy for Minnesota if they don't trade this one away.
23Logo of the Minnesota Wild-St. Louis picks here after a first-round exit for the Rangers; the East is BRUTAL this year. After hitting the jackpot for Fantilli, the Blues still need more depth in the middle, so Stramel's the guy.
24Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas StarsChicago picks here after Tampa exits in the first round (congrats, Toronto fans!). Chicago needs more center depth, and Stenberg fits their timeline.
25Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsColumbus picks here, after the Kings fall in round two to Vegas. After grabbing tons of skill with Bedard, the Blue Jackets want a little more grit and grind on the wing, and Ryan Leonard is a great fit for that. (If this pick is traded for Jakob Chychrun, I think Arizona takes him anyway, so let's say he's the pick either way.)
26Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-The Rangers pick here after the Avs bounce the Stars in round 2. BPA time for the Rangers, who grab Gabe Perreault. They don't need him soon, and he'd be a great developmental guy who could learn a ton from Bread.
27Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the New York RangersSt. Louis picks again here after the Leafs fall in round 2 to the Bruins. At this point, they are just going BPA, so let's give them Honzek, who looks like a real player on the rise.
28Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Sharks pick here after the Devils fall to the Canes in Round 2 (again: the East is BRUTAL this year). San Jose got a nice winger earlier, so here they go for the LD that their system needs more of. Caden Price seems like a good fit here.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsColorado picks here after exiting in the WCF. Colorado is paper-thin in their prospect pool, and need help all over the place. Ethan Gauthier seems like the BPA for them; good scoring ability and does the little things right.
30Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsCarolina picks here after exiting in the ECF. No-brainer for me here taking the gloriously-named Oliver Bonk, since the Canes could use more help on the blue line in their pipeline than up front.
31Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Vegas picks here after losing in the SCF. After trading away Zach Dean for Barbashev, the Knights need another top-notch forward prospect IMO. Bradly Nadeau competes and scores, and that'll be good enough for Vegas here.
32Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsToronto picks here after the Bruins hoist the Cup. BPA situation for the Leafs, but their D corps is aging after the trade of Sandin. So they grab Strbak, who can be a 3rd-pair guy down the road.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Time to take a swing for Columbus to start the second round. One more center prospect makes sense, since they're thin there, so they grab Jordan Dumais' teammate from the Q.
34Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
37Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
38Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
40Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
41Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
42Logo of the Washington Capitals-
43Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
45Logo of the Nashville Predators-
46Logo of the Florida Panthers-
47Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-
49Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
50Logo of the New York Islanders-
51Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
52Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
53Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
54Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
55Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
56Logo of the Dallas Stars-
57Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
58Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
59Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
60Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
61Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
62Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
63Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
64Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Mar. 1, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
With the trade between Detroit and Vancouver, I'm comfortable still projecting Barlow to Detroit in the 17th slot.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:46 p.m.
San Jose just added Mukhamadullin Thurn and othotiuk plus knyzhov is finnaly back from LTIR what they need is wings RD and G. and with Couture being 34 if we get a top 3 pick his replacement would be nice as well.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:56 a.m.
Bedard23
If Chicago lands at 4 and can’t get any of the big 3 centres we’re just better off trading down at that rate to find our 1C

And before you say oh but you have Nazar, well yes we do but I’m more then confident he’s going to play on the wing when he gets to the nhl
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
If Chicago lands at 4 and can’t get any of the big 3 centres we’re just better off trading down at that rate to find our 1C

And before you say oh but you have Nazar, well yes we do but I’m more then confident he’s going to play on the wing when he gets to the nhl

The rarity of top-5 picks getting traded is staggering, and I didn't do trades in this mock, so I stuck with BPA.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
San Jose just added Mukhamadullin Thurn and othotiuk plus knyzhov is finnaly back from LTIR what they need is wings RD and G. and with Couture being 34 if we get a top 3 pick his replacement would be nice as well.

Good call! Do you think they'd go with Oliver Bonk at that spot instead?
Mar. 2, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: benjgc
Good call! Do you think they'd go with Oliver Bonk at that spot instead?

It’s a toss up between Him and Strbak, i wouldn’t touch Drgicevic before the 3rd round personally but people have him as high is the early 20’s.
and I like Benson but if the sharks fall out of the top 4 I would assume Will Smith or Drvorsky would be the sharks main targets. they have a history of drafting C and moving them to the wing.
benjgc liked this.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 6:43 p.m.
Post TDL thoughts:

Following the Chychrun trade, I am less than certain that Arizona would take ASP, but I could see them going for a D after undoubtedly grabbing a forward with their first pick.

Detroit would probably jump at Barlow with their second pick, but I don't know for sure.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll