One Last Sale

Created by: Lactic_Flaccid
Team: 2023-24 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 4, 2023
Published: Apr. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Another very slow day at work so here we go:

Idea here is to sell one last year, and build up the roster next offseason into a playoff contender once we have a better idea of where a lot of our prospects stand. 2024-2025 will be the first "competitive" year where missing the playoffs is considered a failure and also where we begin buying any missing pieces. This is an idea of what the team may look like post deadline this upcoming year.

Out of Training Camp

I think Groulx (non-waiver exempt I believe) makes the roster out of camp and fills the 4C role

With Rico still on the roster out of camp, Regenda, Nesterenko and whoever we end up drafting battle for the last forward spot on the roster. Hard to say who gets the job out of camp as we have no idea who we are drafting, if our pick is in the top 3 then I would assume Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson gets the role.

Where I think training camp gets interesting is in filling the 3LD role. To be honest, I could see Benoit, White, Minty, Zell, Lacombe, and hell even Hinds all fighting for it. That should be a fun storyline to follow. Ultimately, I think Benoit and Lacombe both secure roster spots with one of them becoming the 7th D, more likely Benoit so that Lacombe isnt just healthy scratched all year. They will likely rotate with each other while the rest of the guys get solid time in the AHL. Could also see a few guys get 8 games and sent back down.

Defense

Starting with the age old Forbort for Vaaks (copyright GiggywithGibby). I added a 5th just to really sell the deal, but it may not be necessary. If not Forbort, we need a defense first partner for Drysdale who is preferably on a one year deal as there is a slew of LHD nearing NHL-readiness, Mike Reilly would also work here in the case Forbort doesnt want to waive his NTC for a high tax state and low performing team.

Seen a lot of Oilers ACGMs sending Ceci out for a late pick. If that is truly the cost, I think Ducks should take it. Big bodied, minutes eating defenseman who can stabilize the backend and play first pairing with Fowler. He is signed for 2 years, and similarly to the left side, I think the Ducks should be cautious in giving out too much term with the talent waiting in the wings (Helleson, Warren, Luneau). Though they likely do not all pan out, I would just be cautious of this. The UFA options, though not bad, will definitely require more money and more term. This move allows the Ducks to be more flexible over the next few years. Further, I think grabbing one of Mayfield or Dumba will be difficult as the UFA class for RHD is not super deep and a lot of teams could use an upgrade there.

Signing Shatty to a one year deal, he seems like a great locker room guy for the younger guys and is actually a pretty decent option on the third pairing as 3LHD will likely be a revolving door of prospects who could use the veteran sense. I wouldnt mind giving him more money to keep him to be honest, even if it is an overpay.

Forwards

Starting with Silf, we just need him off the roster. I am willing to retain 50% to ship him out. If no one will take that, then we just buy him out. Not ideal, but we shouldnt have cap issues the next two years, so its fairly inconsequential.

The one they call Comer44 gets his one year prove it deal, I personally think he makes the most of it with a new coach and proper deployment. I will be very curious to see how this plays out in the next year as I really do not want to see him move. I think he would fit our roster and what Verbeek is trying to do very well. On an ideal roster, he plays 3LW with Lundy and Frank

Im just going to speak Carlsson to the Ducks into existence by putting him on all my ACGMs, if we cant get Bedard, I think Carlsson fits with this roster very well.

2023-2024 Trade Deadline

Rico is shipped out for a 2nd, and if we're well out of the playoff race as I expect, then Forbort moves at the deadline as well so we dont lose him for nothing.

Assuming both of these moves happen, and we are out of the playoff race, we have an opening on Left Wing and Left D. In regards to Left Wing, I think one of Nesterenko/Regenda gets the job.

With LHD, its a little more up in the air. Lets assume Benoit is stapled to Shatty on 3rd pairing, who would pair Drysdale? White, Minty, Zell, Lacombe, and Hinds could all theoretically jump in. I think the most likely and best option would be Mintyukov. If he shows he is ready for NHL minutes, he is the ideal candidate to pair Jamie. I think they could end up being our top pairing together for years to come, so why not give them some time together now? If he hasnt shown he is ready for the jump, then Lacombe is my next choice. I think Verbeek will let Zellweger marinate more in the AHL, but wouldnt be too surprised to see him get a few games when there is an injury.

If somehow this team is in the playoff race, I think we should still refrain from buying, but maybe in that case we just hang on to Forbort and Rico. All we would be losing out on is 2 second rounders. Though those picks would be pretty valuable, they are not guaranteed (as we saw with Klinger his year) and I think having this team play competitive hockey is more beneficial than the 2nds would be. The team is basically in no lose mode next year with this roster, just as long as our young guys continue to make progress.

Summary

It should be interesting to see what Verbeek does with this roster in the offseason and at the deadline and who he decides to fill the open roles with. It will tell us a lot about how far along this team is in the rebuild. As much as I would love to see Verbeek make a splash, I think this team is probably sellers for one more year and then the following offeason, they make a push to have a more competitive roster. A little more patience and this team will make headlines soon enough.

Pre-Deadline Line up

Rico - McT - Terry
Comtois - Zegras - Strome
Carlsson - Lundy - Vatrano
Jones - Groulx - McGinn

Fowler - Ceci
Forbort - Drysdale
Benoit/Lacombe - Shatty
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
2$1,125,000
2$2,500,000
3$1,000,000
7$7,142,857
8$7,500,000
1$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,100,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Carlsson, Leo
3$950,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Vaakanainen, Urho
  2. 2023 5th round pick (ANA)
EDM
  1. 2024 5th round pick (ANA)
ANA
    FC - Anywhere
    CGY
    1. Silfverberg, Jakob ($2,625,000 retained)
    ANA
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
    PIT
    1. Henrique, Adam ($2,912,500 retained)
    Additional Details:
    At next year's deadline (anywhere)
    ANA
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
    LAK
    1. Forbort, Derek ($1,500,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    At next year's deadline (anywhere)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$67,392,857$0$3,107,500$15,107,143
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Carlsson, Leo
    $950,000$950,000
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $7,142,857$7,142,857
    RW
    UFA - 7
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $855,000$855,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,295,000$1,295,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $1,125,000$1,125,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $425,000$425,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
    45 for Norris.
    Might as well keep Silf, he’s a good locker room guy and his cap won’t hurt us at all. He expires at the end of the 23-24, (we won’t make the playoffs I would guess).
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Well thought out and reasoned on all accounts, I see my 50 million by 7 year deal for Terry is catching on as well.

My thoughts are that Benoit might end up 2nd pair with Jamie just so that the kids can be with Shattenkirk during their various call ups. I think Mints is the most likely to be a long term running mate for Drys, but one of the big talking points about Mints is that his defensive zone reads need work. I think both he and Drys need one to two years NHL time with a veteran partner to allow them to develop their defensive acumen.

I would like to see Silf gone because he is clogging the pipeline and he stunts Lundestrom's abilities, but he is likely held onto until the TDL or we just ride out he deal, its not the end of the world.

Would love to see Regenda make the jump to a bottom 6 role, he looked very impressive in the pre season with Jones and Grant, there was an odd synergy there that elevated that entire line.

Ceci is a good get, but I still think Verbeek is going to take a swing at Dumba for a 4-5 year deal, I think the depth chart at RHD is baren enough to support that kind of deal on the grounds that it takes 3-5 years to develop a defenseman, and only Helleson is close at the moment.
    Lactic_Flaccid liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
    Edmonton declines. Ceci is playing 1st pairing for them (and they're the best team in the league right now) on a fantastic contract, they aren't moving that for a 5th.
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.
    Quoting: Manson
    Might as well keep Silf, he’s a good locker room guy and his cap won’t hurt us at all. He expires at the end of the 23-24, (we won’t make the playoffs I would guess).

I 100% see the argument for keeping Silf, and that is likely what Verbeek will end up doing. But I personally would like to see that roster spot open up to one of our budding forwards. Next season is the perfect time to let them play and learn the NHL game without much consequence. If the next coach puts Silf and Lundestrom on the same line again, I may actually cry.

Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Well thought out and reasoned on all accounts, I see my 50 million by 7 year deal for Terry is catching on as well.

My thoughts are that Benoit might end up 2nd pair with Jamie just so that the kids can be with Shattenkirk during their various call ups. I think Mints is the most likely to be a long term running mate for Drys, but one of the big talking points about Mints is that his defensive zone reads need work. I think both he and Drys need one to two years NHL time with a veteran partner to allow them to develop their defensive acumen.

I would like to see Silf gone because he is clogging the pipeline and he stunts Lundestrom's abilities, but he is likely held onto until the TDL or we just ride out he deal, its not the end of the world.

Would love to see Regenda make the jump to a bottom 6 role, he looked very impressive in the pre season with Jones and Grant, there was an odd synergy there that elevated that entire line.

Ceci is a good get, but I still think Verbeek is going to take a swing at Dumba for a 4-5 year deal, I think the depth chart at RHD is baren enough to support that kind of deal on the grounds that it takes 3-5 years to develop a defenseman, and only Helleson is close at the moment.

I am concerned that putting Benoit on second pairing with Jamie is a bad idea. Benoit hasnt really proven that he can handle much more than 3rd pairing responsibilities this year. He has looked shaky at times, and putting him on 2nd pairing could stunt Jamie's development (he already missed an entire year) and give Gibby and Dostal a rough go of it. Maybe the Ducks opt to keep a Forbort, or sign a guy to a two year deal? I think whatever Verbeek does here will be the result of the best option he is presented with. It seems like there are a lot of LHD in trade talks for this offseason (Im looking at Winnepeg as one team) so he shouldnt have to pay too much for a partner for Jamie.
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
    45 for Norris.
    Quoting: TrevorsZebras
    I 100% see the argument for keeping Silf, and that is likely what Verbeek will end up doing. But I personally would like to see that roster spot open up to one of our budding forwards. Next season is the perfect time to let them play and learn the NHL game without much consequence. If the next coach puts Silf and Lundestrom on the same line again, I may actually cry.

I am concerned that putting Benoit on second pairing with Jamie is a bad idea. Benoit hasnt really proven that he can handle much more than 3rd pairing responsibilities this year. He has looked shaky at times, and putting him on 2nd pairing could stunt Jamie's development (he already missed an entire year) and give Gibby and Dostal a rough go of it. Maybe the Ducks opt to keep a Forbort, or sign a guy to a two year deal? I think whatever Verbeek does here will be the result of the best option he is presented with. It seems like there are a lot of LHD in trade talks for this offseason (Im looking at Winnepeg as one team) so he shouldnt have to pay too much for a partner for Jamie.

Ya. I think Silf should get 4th line time(+pk).
    But my dream 3rd line would be a Vatrano-Lundy-Ylonen. (Ylonen for Comtois+ or vice/versa)
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
    Quoting: Manson
    Ya. I think Silf should get 4th line time(+pk).
    But my dream 3rd line would be a Vatrano-Lundy-Ylonen. (Ylonen for Comtois+ or vice/versa)

Did a quick search on Ylonen cause tbh I am not familiar with his game, seems like a good fit on the third line in regard to age, frame, and scouting report. The kind of guy Lundy could benefit from. Although I would personally give Comtois another year. We will see how that plays out soon enough
    Manson liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: TrevorsZebras

I meant Benoit will be 2nd pair with Jamie from TDL on and sporadically throughout the season due to injury. He's a 6/7 D all day long, but he at least tried when he has to play up.
    Lactic_Flaccid liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll