SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Buffalo Sabres

This team still needs to learn how to defend

May 20, 2023 at 1:05 a.m.
Banned
It's not hard to see that this is a Sabres group that consistently strives to outscore their problems, with head coach Don Granato preaching to the players to attack as a five man unit up the ice. If the coaching staff don't find a way to implement a more sound defensive structure at some point, this team isn't going to go anywhere no matter how much offensive talent they have. You don't want Devon Levi playing in too chaotic of an environment, I would also caution against going after the likes of a Connor Hellebuyck, as his strength lies in making straight line saves coming at him, but he's actually below average against scoring chances which require him to move laterally to make saves(according to Kevin Woodley). Looking at the blueline, I personally still need to see more to be sold on Mattias Samuelsson, but even then, I think it goes without saying that this team needs another strong defensive defender. Doesn't look like Jokiharju is that guy, doesn't look like Lyubushkin is that guy long-term either, heck, I'm not even sure they have a guy of the right player-type with enough upside in their relatively deep prospect system as is, as most of the high-end talent upcoming is at forward.
May 24, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Knuckl3s
It's not hard to see that this is a Sabres group that consistently strives to outscore their problems, with head coach Don Granato preaching to the players to attack as a five man unit up the ice. If the coaching staff don't find a way to implement a more sound defensive structure at some point, this team isn't going to go anywhere no matter how much offensive talent they have. You don't want Devon Levi playing in too chaotic of an environment, I would also caution against going after the likes of a Connor Hellebuyck, as his strength lies in making straight line saves coming at him, but he's actually below average against scoring chances which require him to move laterally to make saves(according to Kevin Woodley). Looking at the blueline, I personally still need to see more to be sold on Mattias Samuelsson, but even then, I think it goes without saying that this team needs another strong defensive defender. Doesn't look like Jokiharju is that guy, doesn't look like Lyubushkin is that guy long-term either, heck, I'm not even sure they have a guy of the right player-type with enough upside in their relatively deep prospect system as is, as most of the high-end talent upcoming is at forward.

Not saying it's the same situation but I will take you back 50 years ago. Fred Shero took over as head coach of the Flyers. He allowed his teams to be very offensive and they were outscored and weren't a good team...actually below average. He told his players after the season......":Now guys you have the confidence to score and overcome deficients". Next season, It's time to WORK and prevent goals. Be prepared to WORK like you have never done before in September "

Think the Sabres will sign a veteran goalie...and there are good ones available as UFA to help short term. Sabres do have cap to sign a short term UFA Dman or two also. Like the path the Sabres are on...could be good even very good soon.
Jun. 23, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Defending is a playbook improvement priority for the Sabres. For many seasons, the Sabres have commonly allowed 40+ shots against. Goaltenders have high save percentages because of the many shots against they face. Clear the puck out of the zone consistently will ease pressure off goaltenders.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll