SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Top 32 Final Mock Draft w/ Explanations

Top 32 Final Mock Draft w/ Explanations

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: nickthehabsfan
Published: Jun. 23, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-This is the easiest pick in the entire draft, congrats Chicago fans!
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-It could get interesting here if the Ducks want a Michkov or Carlsson, but I don't see how they pass up on Fantilli.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Everybody knows Columbus is taking a center, whether its Carlsson or Smith is the big question. It seems Carlsson is ranked higher almost everywhere and it is becoming increasingly more likely that he is who the Blue Jackets will select with the 3rd pick.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-You could make an argument for both Smith and Michkov here but my gut says Smith goes at 4. There were rumors that Montreal was trying to trade up to 4 to get Smith which to me signals that they think San Jose will take him if they have 4th overall. San Jose also seems to not be fully committed to the rebuild that they need, thus I don't see them wanting to wait 3 years for Michkov to come over.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I'm getting flashbacks from last summer when I wanted Wright but had a gut feeling that it was Slafkovsky. I have that same feeling now about Michkov vs someone else. Kent Hughes has seen most of the NTDP guys grow up as his son played with them. If Smith is available here there is no way he makes it past 5 but he's obviously not. There have been rumors about Leonard, Reinbacher, and Dvorsky if not Michkov. if you couldn't tell my gut says that they pass on Michkov since they know almost nothing about him as a person which Montreal really cares about, and instead take Leonard who Kent Hughes likely knows really well.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Michkov to Arizona seems very unlikely. Looking at Arizona's past drafts they like to get "bigger" which Michkov won't do for them like they want. It makes it seem like if the Yotes have any little doubts about Michkov's play or anything like that they won't take him due to size. This also eliminates Benson from being picked here. The Yotes don't have that defender who will lead them into the future so it's safe to assume they like Reinbacher who checks all the boxes that they are looking for.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-A report came out today that the Flyers will be interviewing Michkov and are seriously considering taking him at 7. Based on the guys left I think it makes a lot of sense. Briere has said how he wants to rebuild the right way. To me, that means taking your time which allows them to take Michkov and keep tanking in the coming seasons. If they don't take Michkov I think they give Benson and Moore looks.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-Washington has always been good at drafting and I belive that trend continues this year by taking Benson. If Benson was 6'0 instead of 5'9/5'10 he would be a top 3 talent in most draft classes. He is great on both ends of the ice and has one of the best motors in the class. In Washington, I think he will develop into a really good player. He also is ranked around here by mosy NHL scouts based on Bob's list.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-In my personal rankings, there is a top 8 which is a tier above the rest. Those 8 have all been selected so here is where the draft could go in any direction. The Wings took Kasper last year so I don't think they will take a center again but if they do it'll be Moore or Dvorsky. Perreault is a winger and seems like a good piece for the Wings. NHL scouts are really high on him and I think it's possible he goes here. The likely pick is Moore or Dvorsky but since when does the draft go as expected?
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues have a need for a young defenseman. Their entire current core is nearing if not over 30 and they have almost nothing in the pipeline. With Reinbacher gone, ASP is the next best guy and I think makes sense here.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver seems like they need everything pipeline wise and I think this is where Dvorsky goes. He seems like a player Vancouver will like as being the safe pick. With Horvat gone, Vancouver will look to Dvorsky to be the long-term replacement.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsRemember how I said Arizona likes to get bigger in the draft? I look at Matthew Wood as a perfect fit for the Yotes. After taking Reinbacher at 6, it makes sense to take a forward and not reach on a defenseman here (another reason why I think Reinbacher at 6 is a safe bet).
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo has such a strong prospect pool they don't need a specific position but between forwards and defenseman, I see defense as a bigger need. Due to their stacked prospect pool, I think they are ok with reaching a bit and taking one of Simashev or Willander. Between the two, I think the Sabres take the defensively sound Simashev to match up with the high-flying duo of Power and Dahlin.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-This is where Moore finally goes. With Dubas in the front office, I think they will make a good pick in Moore. I think Moore is slightly overrated by Twitter scouts but 14 is perfect for him.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-When Barry Trotz took over he told his scouts to draft for upside since he can find bottom 6 guys in free agency. One guy screams upside to me in Cristall. Now, I doubt this happens, I think he's more likely to go late 20s but if Nashville wants upside, Cristall is the way to go.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-I just gotta say, poor Calgary fans. Seems like practically everyone is out the door this summer. Looking at the draft though they have some decent options. They need to go BPA to build up a prospect pool. At this point in the draft I think NHL scouts see Barlow as that and it's not a bad selection for the Flames.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersWith the Wings' 2nd pick in this draft, I think they will take Willander to end up with a forward and defenseman from the 1st round. This seems to be the range where Willander will go and the Wings seem like a good fit. Willander-Wallinder will also be fun to see one day lmao.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-The Jets took last year's faller in Brad Lambert which to me shows they will go BPA despite positional need in the first round. Lots of scouts see Danielson as a top 12ish pick due to his highly projectable game. With Dubois on the move it also makes sense that they take a center to replace him.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningI think Chicago goes with another forward after taking Bedard as the next-best defenseman would be a decent reach at 19. I also think Chicago would like to add some size after picking Nazar last year and Bedard this year. Musty makes a lot of sense as a guy who can score and also provides size.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-After a surprising playoff run, Seattle might also be looking to add size like the Blackhawks before them. Sam Honzek is big but also could provide a great fit for the Kraken. If not Honzek, maybe Sale but Seattle has been great at drafting and Sale doesn't seem like the kind of guy they would take.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Yager makes a lot of sense in this spot for the Wild. They have also been good drafters in the past and Yager makes sense to go here. There are a lot of guys who might go here so it's almost impossible to predict.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsAfter taking a forward in Michkov at #7, I think they look to a defenseman. I'm not sure if a team would be willing to take two Russians in the 1st round. Oliver Bonk seems to be a riser in draft rankings recently so I'll pick him as my "surprising pick" here.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Time to see who the next prospect that the Rangers will ruin is! They are at a point where they can just draft the best guy available who in my opinion is Brindley. Will the Rangers take a smaller guy in Brindley? I don't think so... I also think Sale has to still have some fans and maybe the Rangers are the team to take him.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersThe Preds pick again, and this time continuing their drafting for upside on defense. Gulyayev has the potential to be a great offensive defenseman, so I think the Preds jump all over that.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsAfter taking ASP at 10, the Blues look for a forward and take Brindley. Brindley may end up being the steal of this draft just because he will get passed over due to his size a lot on draft night.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsStenberg makes sense here. He's ranked pretty high compared to this draft slot my most outlets so it makes sense for him to go here. The Sharks also have a history of Swedish forwards with the Bystedt and Eklund picks in recent years coming to mind.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado always seems to be a sneaky-good drafting team. Guys who I see possibly being drafted by Colorado are guys like Nadeau and Perron. Between those two. Nadeau is higher ranked on Bob's list so I'll have him going here.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsToronto is another team that has been good at drafting, though with Dubas gone that trend might change. Toronto also has a good team and pipeline and at this point BPA is the way to go. In my opinion that is Riley Heidt.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsAfter going with a forward and a defenseman already, the Blues close out their 1st round with the BPA which is now Calum Ritchie based on Bob's rankings and a mix of personal opinion.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina loves their Russians. There's also this notion that they need to get goal-scoring and get bigger for the playoffs. But checks all those boxes. I don't see him as a 1st round prospect but I know NHL execs do for sure...
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersThis is where Montreal "addresses" their RD "problem". I personally hope this doesn't happen but it's a mock draft, not a what I would do if I was GM. The main RD options available are Strbak and Dragicevic. Between those two I think Strbak is more likely to go first.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Sawchyn is a hard-working center who I believe Vegas will love as they will look to get more players for the playoffs. After winning the cup I think they will look for players they can put around their stars to win again soon.
Jun. 23, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
mokumboi
The Blues presumably won't be doing any of that. They're not taking a bunch of small one way players. Ritchie would be amazing at 29, but he's not lasting anywhere near that long.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 1:40 a.m.
4/32 if I counted right, surprisingly I predicted both Flyers picks correctly...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll