Forums/Armchair-GM

Reinbacher IS sexy

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2023
Published: Jun. 29, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know a lot of you out there in Habs land are disappointed. I've seen the posts here and on Twitter. But I really think you are all thinking about this backwards.

Do you know what our GM did over the past 2 days? He gave a HUGE vote of confidence to his core players. Basically he said, "I think I can win with you, so I'm gonna assemble you a cast of supporting characters who can help you get there ASAP".

He brought in a Center in Newhook who is 22 years old and who he believes will pop and score 60 points either at center or wing. Not in 3-5 years... Right now, next season.

He brought in a RHD who he believes will be playing on our team in 1 year and on our top pair in 3. Rather than gambling on Michkov, who might be a locker room cancer, who might not ever play in Montreal, who might skip steps in his development and never learn to play defense, he plugged the biggest hole in our organizational depth with a player who some scouts think will be better than Seider!

You think he didn't anticipate that you all would be disappointed? You think he didn't know that you all wanted him to pick a forward like Michkov? Of course he knew, but he also knows that his job is to put together a team that can win in the playoffs. That means Stanley Cup experience (Newhook - check!). That means Elite Defense and some offense from the blue line (Reinbacher - check!)

Admittedly the names Newhook & Reinbacher are not as sexy as Dubois and Michkov. They don't ring the same in your ears. They are not the drum the media has been beating for the last 9 months. But take a breath listen again... You might just hear the same song I've been hearing since last night. You might just hear the names ....Marchessault & Pietrangelo.... Sounds pretty hot to me!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
3$1,750,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$69,513,333$1,170,000$4,210,000$13,986,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:19 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Lenny7
It's a fine pick. Load up on D when you can. Arizona going off the board was definitely a weirder pick.

I'd imagine at some point you guys get into trade-mode and one of those fine D-prospects get packaged to upgrade up front.

Don't know how I feel about the Newhook trade for you guys, but he's got a solid ceiling even if he didn't look great this year. You're getting an NHLer though vs. a lotto ticket.

Are you happy about Carlsson over Fantilli?
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:20 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
The way I see it - KH has shown that he is able to acquire talent on the market. Look at NYR and NJD - they found ways to get some great RFA and UFA - once you get a young core that is great - you can trade some of those young D and those first round pick.

The 2025 and 2026 first round pick will probably be traded to acquire that talent.

Glad to see you are feeling a bit better about things today.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
modem
I like your analysis a lot. Look, when the lottery finished in 2018, and they showed the projected top 10 and I saw Finnish Center Kotkaniemi at 8, I knew we would end up with him somehow. However, he was very raw, and although he had a great rookie year for an 18 year old, that was not the right pick at all. Fast forward to last year, I actually had no idea, I just assumed Wright but I am not upset with Slaf. Then to the lottery this year, I got the exact same feeling like in 2018, I saw Reinbacher, and immediately felt it that we would grab him. The difference between KK and him is that the former, did not strike as a legit good hockey player. Reinbacher does strike me as a very good hockey player...

I had heard things like Michkov will be a smaller Ovechkin, or this Russian kid can come in and dominate, he may be small but his talent is one that would go 1st overall in probably every draft except McDavid... You make a fantastic point and it could just be me coping frown, but, Michkov does not win you Stanley Cups, Reinbacher does. I liked that point because that is how I viewed this pick. They are giving the core a lot of confidence and belief and that is great to see. I like when my management does that, and if I had to address a need to win a cup, yeah I would immediately find size to bolster my Blue line. I think although he gave the core a huge vote of confidence, I still think we need another game-breaker. I call Caufield one, because in my eyes he is, but another is pivotal.

My main issue really, is not with Reinbacher, I am so happy we have him because he fills a need. My problem, is that we constantly make the same bloody mistake in the 1st round. We draft for need WAY too much especially after Hughes came out and said, and I quote: "We're going to go with the most talented player". Frustrating to hear that, and not follow through. We need to stop picking for need, unless we had 5 Michkovs, we could afford to take a need. However, we also failed at asset management. I like Newhook, but maybe one pick too many we have up.

Asset management wise, the Habs were in a huge dilemma. They regain assets at 7 and 22 hypothetically with Philly, they take Michkov, but in between them was Arizona, and they were locked in on Reinbacher which made it hard to do that deal. So they had to take the guy they wanted I suppose, unfortunately, there was no other way, or if there was LMK.

Overall, I understand the dejection, i felt it, and still feel it. No matter what if Reinbacher becomes lets say, an ELITE Two-way Dman like a Seider or whoever, the best best best version of Reinbacher may never even be worth the floor of Michkov. To win a Stanley Cup, you need Reinbacher's, to win Art Rosses and Divisions you need Michkovs. Part of me is coping, but I also genuinely like the player.
KentMcNally, jonh514, Just_A_Guess and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:23 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
It's a fine pick. Load up on D when you can. Arizona going off the board was definitely a weirder pick.

I'd imagine at some point you guys get into trade-mode and one of those fine D-prospects get packaged to upgrade up front.

Don't know how I feel about the Newhook trade for you guys, but he's got a solid ceiling even if he didn't look great this year. You're getting an NHLer though vs. a lotto ticket.

Exactly. Plus he's a Quartexx guy. Kent has the scoop on him.
Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:24 a.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: jonh514
I dunno. You need internal competition and depth, otherwise guys get too comfortable.

We really need a solid top6 PPG type of player: Guntzel, Konecny... maybe last 3 years of Panarin!
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:25 a.m.
modem
Quoting: Went_Wughes
I think HuGo are not only making the team better, but making it more competitive faster.

Who know's what trading up from 31st and selecting Barlow would merit after years of development. But, Newhook is plug in and play with some Dach mystique.

Same at 5th. Reinbacher is already playing pro against men. He's being more productive than Josi was at the same age in the Swiss league. And, has comparisons to Seider. Id don't think we can dismiss this because they hype around Michkov. Furthermore, Reinbacher looks to be NHL ready next year. Whearas, young Dmen usually prime around 24-25 yrs old.

After taking a deep dive into Reinbacher last night. Im feeling better about the pick. We can't dismiss how advanced the rebuild is today. If he was selecting pure prospects we'd be years away from seeing if they were good picks that come to fruition.

Hold on, I agree with what you are saying. I am understanding the Reinbacher pick too, I just wanted the Russian phenom first. But, why would it matter if we want to accelerate a rebuild? Isn't the point to not rush guys? What is the point of trying to win sooner? Any benefit? Just don't know if I agree with it necessarily. For example, when we trade for guys who are 22, we have less team control of the player. We draft them, we get an extra 3 years. So why rush when we can just draft and develop slowly?
Went_Wughes liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
modem
Quoting: TheDuminator
We really need a solid top6 PPG type of player: Guntzel, Konecny... maybe last 3 years of Panarin!

Guenztel would be good but I fear MTL will never sign him due to size!
TheDuminator liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: KentMcNally
I am curious about where Mesar fits in the plans for their forwards, given his size. I think he needs to be in the top 6 of a team, but I am not sure if he still fits in Montreal's plans, especially given his size, due to the fact they have Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, Farrell and Kidney.

Caufield Suzuki Slafkovsky
Newhook Dach ???
RHP Beck Roy/Farrell/Kidney

Is Mesar going to be good enough to be on that 2nd line?
Do they go after Nylander (if he goes to free agency or another free agent) to fill out the 2nd line?
Do they package Mesar, Struble and multiple future picks for a player like Konecny or Lafreniere or Dadonov (HA!)?

Right now the answer is no. But give Slaf & Mesar this season to show you something before you get concerned. It takes some time to transition from larger ice.
TheDuminator liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
HabsFan
Right now the answer is no. But give Slaf & Mesar this season to show you something before you get concerned. It takes some time to transition from larger ice.

Can Heineman be this guy... showed in Laval a lot of scoring ability
jonh514 liked this.
Banned
Quoting: michaeldym
Hold on, I agree with what you are saying. I am understanding the Reinbacher pick too, I just wanted the Russian phenom first. But, why would it matter if we want to accelerate a rebuild? Isn't the point to not rush guys? What is the point of trying to win sooner? Any benefit? Just don't know if I agree with it necessarily. For example, when we trade for guys who are 22, we have less team control of the player. We draft them, we get an extra 3 years. So why rush when we can just draft and develop slowly?

Well, we don't have to, but if it's possible, they can. Seems like they could. In my opinion, this teams window is in alignment with Suzuki's contract length. The faster this team gets going. The longer the window of contention is. To me it's that simple.
jonh514 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Our GM has been incredibly consistent in 2 drafts so far.

1) Pay a premium to acquire an emerging player under team control for another 4-5 years who he can sign to a cap friendly deal
2) Draft a player with Size & Skill who he projects is the BPA to compete in the playoffs, not the regular season

I think he might get a bad grade on drafting, but like he said, there is a 50 contract limit in this league and he's already got a ton of young players he is excited about

I actually really like that he's traded for young players poised for a breakout after a couple extra development years. We definitely need to shed some fwds but we also need to establish who actually fits in the lineup and who is expendable. He did say he wants to compete sooner than later and that he wants to get bigger, he's sticking to his word so I'm going to trust his process. I wasn't happy at last years draft (Dach/Slaf) but I've come to realize KH made the right moves there so I'm going to guess he's done the same thing here.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
modem
Well, we don't have to, but if it's possible, they can. Seems like they could. In my opinion, this teams window is in alignment with Suzuki's contract length. The faster this team gets going. The longer the window of contention is. To me it's that simple.

Are they only banking on his contract? Like this whole idea with paying everyone less is silly. If a player better than him became available, I would hope we pay him more. Kind of feels like if that happens, we would settle for a cheaper option. Kind of like the draft pick, go for the settle/safe pick and not take the sexy pick.

The timeline is fine, which I understand, but we also want our prospects to develop too and not trade them all for guys 2 years older.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I like your analysis a lot. Look, when the lottery finished in 2018, and they showed the projected top 10 and I saw Finnish Center Kotkaniemi at 8, I knew we would end up with him somehow. However, he was very raw, and although he had a great rookie year for an 18 year old, that was not the right pick at all. Fast forward to last year, I actually had no idea, I just assumed Wright but I am not upset with Slaf. Then to the lottery this year, I got the exact same feeling like in 2018, I saw Reinbacher, and immediately felt it that we would grab him. The difference between KK and him is that the former, did not strike as a legit good hockey player. Reinbacher does strike me as a very good hockey player...

I had heard things like Michkov will be a smaller Ovechkin, or this Russian kid can come in and dominate, he may be small but his talent is one that would go 1st overall in probably every draft except McDavid... You make a fantastic point and it could just be me coping frown, but, Michkov does not win you Stanley Cups, Reinbacher does. I liked that point because that is how I viewed this pick. They are giving the core a lot of confidence and belief and that is great to see. I like when my management does that, and if I had to address a need to win a cup, yeah I would immediately find size to bolster my Blue line. I think although he gave the core a huge vote of confidence, I still think we need another game-breaker. I call Caufield one, because in my eyes he is, but another is pivotal.

My main issue really, is not with Reinbacher, I am so happy we have him because he fills a need. My problem, is that we constantly make the same bloody mistake in the 1st round. We draft for need WAY too much especially after Hughes came out and said, and I quote: "We're going to go with the most talented player". Frustrating to hear that, and not follow through. We need to stop picking for need, unless we had 5 Michkovs, we could afford to take a need. However, we also failed at asset management. I like Newhook, but maybe one pick too many we have up.

Asset management wise, the Habs were in a huge dilemma. They regain assets at 7 and 22 hypothetically with Philly, they take Michkov, but in between them was Arizona, and they were locked in on Reinbacher which made it hard to do that deal. So they had to take the guy they wanted I suppose, unfortunately, there was no other way, or if there was LMK.

Overall, I understand the dejection, i felt it, and still feel it. No matter what if Reinbacher becomes lets say, an ELITE Two-way Dman like a Seider or whoever, the best best best version of Reinbacher may never even be worth the floor of Michkov. To win a Stanley Cup, you need Reinbacher's, to win Art Rosses and Divisions you need Michkovs. Part of me is coping, but I also genuinely like the player.

Some really great points. I agree that BOTH Michkov & Reinbacher will probably pop in the NHL, and there will be some moments in 2027 when Michkov burns Reinbacher and we all cringe. Hopefully that happens in the regular season and not the playoffs.

I just really think they are going BPA in the playoffs and if they can't imagine the player in the playoffs, they tend to stay away. I'm not sure what they think of Michkov in terms of the playoffs, but I know from the start of this year to the end, his defensive game did not improve while his offensive game did.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
Fall River Habs

I know it takes time to develop and I am OK (not thrilled) with giving him a year to adjust. I say "not thrilled" because his value goes down further if he does not improve his play this year (rather obvious to say, I know) and the Habs are then left holing the bag.

Maybe Montreal's new medical team additions are actually worse than the people they let go and Montreal has more injuries than last year, so we have a worse year. Then maybe Bedard lifts Chicago more than expected. The Columbus trades improves them significantly. Anaheim starts scoring goals. We get the lottery luck again and we are able to select Cellebrini next year. One more year of tanking. It could happen......it could..... HA!
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

I think the PP will improve this year. You'll see. Suzuki & Caufield will be dancing out there.
Went_Wughes liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

I am not sure. I like his size a whole lot and I loved him in preseason last year. Let's see what he does at camp?
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
Fall River Habs

It would be a stretch for him to be a consistent 2nd liner on a team that (hopefully) is going to compete for a Cup in a few years, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. I do like his AHL numbers. albeit in a small sample size.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Yes!
Went_Wughes liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
I am curious about where Mesar fits in the plans for their forwards, given his size. I think he needs to be in the top 6 of a team, but I am not sure if he still fits in Montreal's plans, especially given his size, due to the fact they have Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook, Farrell and Kidney.

Caufield Suzuki Slafkovsky
Newhook Dach ???
RHP Beck Roy/Farrell/Kidney

Is Mesar going to be good enough to be on that 2nd line?
Do they go after Nylander (if he goes to free agency or another free agent) to fill out the 2nd line?
Do they package Mesar, Struble and multiple future picks for a player like Konecny or Lafreniere or Dadonov (HA!)?

Idk that CH management really know exactly what the lines are going to be but I believe they're trying to build a high end top-9 instead of just a top 6. Then we're able to roll 3 lines consistently and beef up our 4th to rival any 3rd line out there. I don't really know where Mesar fits exactly yet either and maybe we do package him for someone else but I'm not sure that happens this year.

With the way they're setting cap structure, I don't see free agents in our immediate future. Nylander will was more that Suzuki and KH won't give that. He's likely stockpiling internal options until it's clearly established where everyone fits and who exactly is expendable for the final piece or two.

Laf would actually be a great fit now (don't tell the NYR fans I said that...) but the price is likely too premium. That being said I would be on board if he did swing for it and moved some of our "expendable" prospects for a guy like Laf, assuming NYR would accept a deal with what we had to offer and not request some pieces of the "core" that is being built around.
jonh514 and KentMcNally liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I know it takes time to develop and I am OK (not thrilled) with giving him a year to adjust. I say "not thrilled" because his value goes down further if he does not improve his play this year (rather obvious to say, I know) and the Habs are then left holing the bag.

Maybe Montreal's new medical team additions are actually worse than the people they let go and Montreal has more injuries than last year, so we have a worse year. Then maybe Bedard lifts Chicago more than expected. The Columbus trades improves them significantly. Anaheim starts scoring goals. We get the lottery luck again and we are able to select Cellebrini next year. One more year of tanking. It could happen......it could..... HA!

LOL. I really hope not. I want to see this team take the league by storm.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
Banned
Are they only banking on his contract? Like this whole idea with paying everyone less is silly. If a player better than him became available, I would hope we pay him more. Kind of feels like if that happens, we would settle for a cheaper option. Kind of like the draft pick, go for the settle/safe pick and not take the sexy pick.

The timeline is fine, which I understand, but we also want our prospects to develop too and not trade them all for guys 2 years older.

I hear you. Im not talking about the internal cap or Suzuki himself per say. But as the cap increases. Suzuki and Cole's contracts are going to dictate the window of this core. Im not saying to rush anyone, but this is why adding a Newhook instead of drafting two 17 yr olds is the smarter move at this point. Why the Reinbacher is better than maybe Michkov in 3 yrs. But again, this is just my perspective.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Idk that CH management really know exactly what the lines are going to be but I believe they're trying to build a high end top-9 instead of just a top 6. Then we're able to roll 3 lines consistently and beef up our 4th to rival any 3rd line out there. I don't really know where Mesar fits exactly yet either and maybe we do package him for someone else but I'm not sure that happens this year.

With the way they're setting cap structure, I don't see free agents in our immediate future. Nylander will was more that Suzuki and KH won't give that. He's likely stockpiling internal options until it's clearly established where everyone fits and who exactly is expendable for the final piece or two.

Laf would actually be a great fit now (don't tell the NYR fans I said that...) but the price is likely too premium. That being said I would be on board if he did swing for it and moved some of our "expendable" prospects for a guy like Laf, assuming NYR would accept a deal with what we had to offer and not request some pieces of the "core" that is being built around.

I am betting Roy takes that spot eventually.
Just_A_Guess and TheDuminator liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Yhea I hear you... but at 5 OA I do believe Reinbacher would be available at 7 or 8... saying this I do understand the risk as Az took Shimashev right after...
I was hoping some smokes at the draft from different team... like MTL with Phily as we all know that Michkov was the target.... Briere going to trade up 2 spot with a package for Hart: Harris, Farrel, 5OA for 7 OA + Hart. At least it would have been fun! So basically MTL decided to be competitive starting in 2024 not 2026 anymore... so we need a big trade IN to take an extra step.

I bet AZ goes Reinbacher at 6 if we didn't take him. They clearly wanted Defence and reached big on one.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Lenny7
Are you happy about Carlsson over Fantilli?

He was #3 of what I was hoping for. I wanted Fantilli, which I think most ducks fans were hoping for, and Michkov was absolutely someone that I wanted if they skipped Fantilli.

Carlsson is big though, and seems safe. I’m not losing my mind, and I’m sure once the shock passes we’ll all be content. McTavish was a bit of a reach when he was picked though, and he seems to be doing fine.

I’m firmly in the “meh” category this morning.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
He was #3 of what I was hoping for. I wanted Fantilli, which I think most ducks fans were hoping for, and Michkov was absolutely someone that I wanted if they skipped Fantilli.

Carlsson is big though, and seems safe. I’m not losing my mind, and I’m sure once the shock passes we’ll all be content. McTavish was a bit of a reach when he was picked though, and he seems to be doing fine.

I’m firmly in the “meh” category this morning.

I hear you. Seems he drafted on perceived upside. He's gonna be a good one though!
Lenny7 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll