Forums/Armchair-GM

Question

Created by: Talking_Senators
Team: 2023-24 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 31, 2023
Published: Jul. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Am I the only one that thinks the sens can still fit within the cap without getting rid of salary? Tell me if I'm wrong lol. First of all, Pinto has no leverage without arbitration rights. The sens can sign him for much less than what I see on here on a 1-year deal. If we look at McLeod with Edmonton last year, he got 800k on a 1-year deal because he had 0 leverage. He was definitely worth more than that but settled because the oilers had no cap space. Now, will Pinto be happy? Probably not. But I don't see what other choice we have. I am not for losing assets to get rid of salary. The worst case is losing JBD on waivers. But if the trade-off is losing JBD for tarasenko that's fine with me. I could be completely wrong but idk haha.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
1$875,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$80,661,547$0$1,850,000$2,838,453
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 31, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
I for one thought JBD had a line on a starting spot this season.... then Dorion signs Hamonic.... so essentially he is the #7.

Loosing him to waivers would be bad asset management imo. He won't fetch a lot on the open market, but something is better than nothing.

Beyond that, I do believe trying to move some money is the right move here. The Sens do have defensive depth organizationally, but I question how ready it is right now. Kleven looks great, but a full year in Belleville is probably the right course of action. Lassi is what he is, and could be a waiver causality as well.

The Sens have options. But, Dorion actually did address the blueline at the TDL last season. To risk making that depth shallow would undo the work.

Moving on from Joseph makes sense at this stage..... and I maintain that a Joseph deal will look more like a hockey deal than a cap dump. The guy can play some solid 3rd line minutes, albeit slightly overpaid. But as I continue to point out, next season that cap hit will pretty much fall in line; meaning the "big" sweetener may not have to be so big - especially if the deal is made with a team looking for contract certainty.
Talking_Senators liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Talking Senators
Quoting: swinny
I for one thought JBD had a line on a starting spot this season.... then Dorion signs Hamonic.... so essentially he is the #7.

Loosing him to waivers would be bad asset management imo. He won't fetch a lot on the open market, but something is better than nothing.

Beyond that, I do believe trying to move some money is the right move here. The Sens do have defensive depth organizationally, but I question how ready it is right now. Kleven looks great, but a full year in Belleville is probably the right course of action. Lassi is what he is, and could be a waiver causality as well.

The Sens have options. But, Dorion actually did address the blueline at the TDL last season. To risk making that depth shallow would undo the work.

Moving on from Joseph makes sense at this stage..... and I maintain that a Joseph deal will look more like a hockey deal than a cap dump. The guy can play some solid 3rd line minutes, albeit slightly overpaid. But as I continue to point out, next season that cap hit will pretty much fall in line; meaning the "big" sweetener may not have to be so big - especially if the deal is made with a team looking for contract certainty.

Fair points. I do like JBD and I do think he could become a good bottom pair defenseman. It also depends on a potential return for Joseph. However, personally, I'd rather lose JBD than Joseph. And of course giving up assets to get rid of Joseph would be idiotic at this point. Anyways, remains to be seen.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Talking_Senators
Fair points. I do like JBD and I do think he could become a good bottom pair defenseman. It also depends on a potential return for Joseph. However, personally, I'd rather lose JBD than Joseph. And of course giving up assets to get rid of Joseph would be idiotic at this point. Anyways, remains to be seen.

Joseph's game is such that the Sens should not be giving up assets. People in CF see an issue and think their team will get a good player, a strong additional asset for nothing. No. Joseph comes with term.... and that is worth something. The contract isn't Josh Amderson bad by any stretch.

I see something similar to the Paul for Joseph deal frankly. A slight downgrade, but not so much so as to do determental harm.

I was looking at Winnipeg and David Gustafsson. Young, contract control, bottom 6 forward..... that kind of idea. The issue with the Jets is where on earth does Joesph play lol. Their forward core is very very balanced, so I doubt Chevy would bit. But the construct is the important thought there.
Talking_Senators and Xspyrit liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
Talking Senators
Quoting: swinny
Joseph's game is such that the Sens should not be giving up assets. People in CF see an issue and think their team will get a good player, a strong additional asset for nothing. No. Joseph comes with term.... and that is worth something. The contract isn't Josh Amderson bad by any stretch.

I see something similar to the Paul for Joseph deal frankly. A slight downgrade, but not so much so as to do determental harm.

I was looking at Winnipeg and David Gustafsson. Young, contract control, bottom 6 forward..... that kind of idea. The issue with the Jets is where on earth does Joesph play lol. Their forward core is very very balanced, so I doubt Chevy would bit. But the construct is the important thought there.

Completely agree

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll