Forums/Armchair-GM

Put a bow on it

Created by: Hullsy09
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 10, 2023
Published: Aug. 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let’s talk about what we think the lines are gonna be.

1st line:

I considered the idea of putting one of the various depth options such as Johnsson/plitlick ect on the Crosby line, but I figured that as Crosby gets older it makes sense to maximize him by putting the best possible wingers with him. Although I am a big fan of spreading the talent and not just putting the 6 best forwards in the top 6 because.

2nd line:

nylander looked very promising on Malkins wing in a small sample size last year. Pushing rust down spreads some talent around. Smith would complement nylander/Malkin well because he is such a two way threat: he can be the trigger man on this line while also insulating them defensively.

3rd line:

it looks like eller is gonna be the 3C. I don’t hate him but I would have preferred some other guys, including Puis Suter at a lower $, but I do get the appeal of eller. Eller needs some offense on his line for it to be a good one. Rust and johnsson should be able to provide that.

The first big question of the lineup is 3LW. I put johnsson because he has the highest potential to put up points and has some of the most previous success. There are no shortage of options though. Hinostoza could be reunited with his good friend in Rust. Pitlick could also put up numbers. Tatar would be ideal for the purpose of this ACGM I didn’t sign any forwards. Poulin and puustinen deserve consideration.

4th line:

I feel really good about this 4th line. they are fast. O’Connor is big and Acciari plays big. All could realistically score 10+ goals. It’s not impossible for someone else to take Nietos spot, but since he got a 2 year deal and is very solid defensively I think he will get it.

First pair:

I put graves/Letang together because pettersson is better defensively so he should go with Karlsson since he is the worst defensively. Also keeping the country man together. Letang/graves are first pair as they will play against harder competetion, but I expect them to get just as much ice time as the other pairing.

Pair 2:

Pettersson and Karlsson are both Swedes who have complete opposites play styles, in theory it should make for the perfect pairing, right?

3rd pair:

POJ earned a spot last year. I really like his game. The question is 3RD. I signed Jones just to say I really like his game and he is better than anyone we have if we can get him for cheap $. If we don’t get Jones, I would rank the remaining options as follows: ruhwedel, Friedman, smith, butcher.

Goalies:

I think we all know what we have in Jarry. Very skilled, yet injury prone and inconsistent. If things go perfectly he could be a Vezina finalist, but if things go poorly it could be disastrous.

Ned is a bit more of an unknown. Looked like a future stud when he almost won the Calder a couple years ago in front of an excellent canes defence, but looked awful in front of a bad Detroit defence. Id expect him to improve in front a of a better d core. Who knows what his ceiling is?

PP:

I am falling in love with the idea of 2 PP units that split time.

- the powerplay badly needs a shakeup, it was so stale last year. Karlsson will provide that, but this will take it a step forward.

-simply, we have enough skilled players to do it. Makes sure everyone gets some Pp time.

- specifically in the cases of nylander and POJ, they have skill sets of players who should see PP time, but with the typical system they wouldn’t get any and would be under utilized, this way they get some reps in with our best players and get to really play their game.

Why these units? The number one thing is that I want Crosby running one unit, and Karlsson running the other unit. They are the 2 players with the highest hockey iq and passing ability and should both have the puck constantly running through their hands. From there I just added the players to complement them. Both got the players they have chemistry with. Both units have trigger men: guentzel and rakell on one and smith and geno on the other. I really hope this will give rakell the chance to be a sniper and let some one Ts go, since he doesn’t really get the chance as that’s Genos role. Geno and Karlsson running their unit will have so much swagger.

These units will share time but if one unit is outplaying the other they can be the true PP1 until they lose it.

PK:
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,804,342$0$0$1,695,658

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
RW, LW
UFA - 1
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
RFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
LD
UFA - 1
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 10, 2023 at 12:02 p.m.
I like the Jones signing. I would also try and sign Suter depending on what's going on there. The only thing is I'm not sure Nylander brings enough offense to the top 6. I think he's a good player I just don't know his style fits the system well. Speed isn't his strong suit and wasn't great at finishing in the small sample size we got last year. Definitely he deserves a shot in camp and I like the idea of putting someone like that in the top 6. I think Poulin Pitlick and Hinostrozza would be good contenders there.
Hullsy09 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
I like the Jones signing. I would also try and sign Suter depending on what's going on there. The only thing is I'm not sure Nylander brings enough offense to the top 6. I think he's a good player I just don't know his style fits the system well. Speed isn't his strong suit and wasn't great at finishing in the small sample size we got last year. Definitely he deserves a shot in camp and I like the idea of putting someone like that in the top 6. I think Poulin Pitlick and Hinostrozza would be good contenders there.

Yeah I think Pitlick should start on the Crosby line while guentz is out. I would even like to see Yager play a few games there for a little test drive before going back to junior, who knows maybe he is impressive and sticks around

I think we can all agree that Crosby, guentzel, Rakell, smith, geno, rust, eller are 7/9 top forwards, now we just have to determine who the other 2 are and where they can play. Preferably whoever, out of the long list of hopefuls, can find some chemistry with Sid or Geno can play in the top 6.

I see you mentioned nylander is lacking in speed and I’m not disagreeing with you, but who, out of the list of hopefuls, is fast? I would say it’s Johnsson, Pitlick, Hinostoza, Yager, Poulin, puustinen, nylander, Carter, competing for those 2 spots. I’m not super familiar with some of these guys, but most of them are not exactly burners, to my knowledge
pensfan21 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: Hullsy09
Yeah I think Pitlick should start on the Crosby line while guentz is out. I would even like to see Yager play a few games there for a little test drive before going back to junior, who knows maybe he is impressive and sticks around

I think we can all agree that Crosby, guentzel, Rakell, smith, geno, rust, eller are 7/9 top forwards, now we just have to determine who the other 2 are and where they can play. Preferably whoever, out of the long list of hopefuls, can find some chemistry with Sid or Geno can play in the top 6.

I see you mentioned nylander is lacking in speed and I’m not disagreeing with you, but who, out of the list of hopefuls, is fast? I would say it’s Johnsson, Pitlick, Hinostoza, Yager, Poulin, puustinen, nylander, Carter, competing for those 2 spots. I’m not super familiar with some of these guys, but most of them are not exactly burners, to my knowledge

Agree completely on your first point. Would be really interesting to see Yager there too. I don't think he's as far off as some people say he is and he looked really really good at the prospect camp. Like miles above everyone else (many of whom are supposedly close to ready). And who better to play and learn from than Crosby. Don't think it would hurt his development.

I think Pitlick and Hinostoza both have pretty good speed. Yager probably the fastest. Poulin I was impressed with him in the limited time he had last year. Wouldn't say speed is his mo, but I thought he was the most noticeable out of all the WBS guys called up last year. Puustinen is also very fast and I thought he looked good. But Poulin I think showed the most offensive potential and playmaking out of the WBS guys. I know it was only his debut with the Pens but 2 points in 9 games for Nylander was not ideal. Especially when on a line with Malkin. I think there will be other players that step up to that role first, but I also don't want to judge Nylander too fast. Hopefully he has a good camp.
Hullsy09 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
Agree completely on your first point. Would be really interesting to see Yager there too. I don't think he's as far off as some people say he is and he looked really really good at the prospect camp. Like miles above everyone else (many of whom are supposedly close to ready). And who better to play and learn from than Crosby. Don't think it would hurt his development.

I think Pitlick and Hinostoza both have pretty good speed. Yager probably the fastest. Poulin I was impressed with him in the limited time he had last year. Wouldn't say speed is his mo, but I thought he was the most noticeable out of all the WBS guys called up last year. Puustinen is also very fast and I thought he looked good. But Poulin I think showed the most offensive potential and playmaking out of the WBS guys. I know it was only his debut with the Pens but 2 points in 9 games for Nylander was not ideal. Especially when on a line with Malkin. I think there will be other players that step up to that role first, but I also don't want to judge Nylander too fast. Hopefully he has a good camp.

Agree with what you said. I agree production wasn’t there for nylander but I thought he drove play well. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll