SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2023-24 Season Thread

Jan. 18 at 9:48 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
tf is oshie on bro.

give ovi that

Send the entire team to Minnesota as far as I'm concerned ...
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 6:49 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Protas

3.4x5
qc14 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Protas

3.4x5

Love everything about it. At worst, he's a defensively stellar 3w and while that's probably not what you'd want out of 3.4M, it's hardly a killer. At the best, he takes another step and becomes a real top 6 support player and the contract is a steal. Covers all of his best years as well and if/when the team really takes a turn for the worst in a couple of years would be the exact kind of asset contenders love. Reminds me a lot of the Eller deal and we all know how that one turned out!
Jan. 24 at 11:53 a.m.
So Caps will be sellers at TDL (I assume and hope)...here is my tiered list of players I'd sell (return is only for picks - could also be players like Sandin trade last year or prospects, but just keeping it easy here):

Trade assets (most likely gone):
Edmundson 50% (return: 3rd or 4th)
Patches (return: 3rd, as of now)
Mantha 50% (return 2nd or 3rd - keep scoring Mantha)

Potential trade assets (potentially gone):
NAK (return: 4th or 5th)
TVR (return: 3rd) OR Jensen (return: 2nd or most likely 3rd and change)

For the right offer:
Lindgren (return: starts at a 2nd)
Dowd (return: starts at a 2nd)

Please get rid of (but won't happen this TDL):
Kuzy

Another positive to having some cap space and being sellers - the Caps could take on a contract or two and get paid for it

Am I missing anything
capsfan2121 and qc14 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: All_Knowing
So Caps will be sellers at TDL (I assume and hope)...here is my tiered list of players I'd sell (return is only for picks - could also be players like Sandin trade last year or prospects, but just keeping it easy here):

Trade assets (most likely gone):
Edmundson 50% (return: 3rd or 4th)
Patches (return: 3rd, as of now)
Mantha 50% (return 2nd or 3rd - keep scoring Mantha)

Potential trade assets (potentially gone):
NAK (return: 4th or 5th)
TVR (return: 3rd) OR Jensen (return: 2nd or most likely 3rd and change)

For the right offer:
Lindgren (return: starts at a 2nd)
Dowd (return: starts at a 2nd)

Please get rid of (but won't happen this TDL):
Kuzy

Another positive to having some cap space and being sellers - the Caps could take on a contract or two and get paid for it

Am I missing anything

This is pretty much exactly what I would have except I would say Mantha 100% gets a second, Pacioretty I think is in the "we only move you to a place you want to go if you want to go" realm, and I would add Milano to that "For the right offer" tier as well. Think the best thing for them to do (although it would require some balls from BMac and a sign of from Leonsis that I'm not sure I expect) is to package some of their better assets -- Lindgren, Dowd, Mantha -- with a bad contract coming back to try to get a first out of the deal.

If I was GMBM, I would also be listening on pretty much everyone on the roster outside Ovi/Carlson/Strome. I don't think there's anyone else that would generate much interest or at least the kind needed to make a deal, but if anyone comes in hard for Kuemper, Fehervary, Sandin, Wilson, Oshie I'm pulling the trigger.
All_Knowing liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
This is pretty much exactly what I would have except I would say Mantha 100% gets a second, Pacioretty I think is in the "we only move you to a place you want to go if you want to go" realm, and I would add Milano to that "For the right offer" tier as well. Think the best thing for them to do (although it would require some balls from BMac and a sign of from Leonsis that I'm not sure I expect) is to package some of their better assets -- Lindgren, Dowd, Mantha -- with a bad contract coming back to try to get a first out of the deal.

If I was GMBM, I would also be listening on pretty much everyone on the roster outside Ovi/Carlson/Strome. I don't think there's anyone else that would generate much interest or at least the kind needed to make a deal, but if anyone comes in hard for Kuemper, Fehervary, Sandin, Wilson, Oshie I'm pulling the trigger.

Completely agree with everything above.

Milano hasn't played for so long so forgot about him lol I would also put him in the "For the right offer" category, but will say, I like Milano and his cheap contract.

Would also like to package up our better assets (AA to me would be a decent throw in as well) for a bigger piece or a 1st.

Regarding everyone else on roster - I would 100% be listening to offers, but like you said, I don't anyone else would generate much interest, which is why I didn't include the Fehervarys, Sandin, etc.
qc14 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:34 a.m.
Completely agree with everything above.

Milano hasn't played for so long so forgot about him lol I would also put him in the "For the right offer" category, but will say, I like Milano and his cheap contract.

Would also like to package up our better assets (AA to me would be a decent throw in as well) for a bigger piece or a 1st.

Regarding everyone else on roster - I would 100% be listening to offers, but like you said, I don't anyone else would generate much interest, which is why I didn't include the Fehervarys, Sandin, etc.

I think unfortunately Fehervary is the only one of the 'others' that I think would bring back a good return and he's the guy I would want to move the least.
All_Knowing and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 25 at 1:04 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I think unfortunately Fehervary is the only one of the 'others' that I think would bring back a good return and he's the guy I would want to move the least.

Honestly, I don't think MacLellan would even consider moving him. Not only has be been the only good defenseman the Caps have had all year, but he just extended him too and I don't see the value from almost any team. The only team potentially in the market for him that I would at least be interested in would be Arizona, but I have no interest in things like sending him and more to Ottawa for Chychrun, for example.
capsfan2121 and qc14 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 9:45 a.m.
With a "thinner" center market, I could see Dowd generating a pretty big return. But I am hoping the Caps hold on to him (unless its a ridiculous offer)...I think next season the Caps have one final chance to truly contend (reasons: a lot of cap space this offseason, younger guys have more experience, hopefully a reset for the veterans, the acquisition of 1-2 skilled forwards).

One has to wonder if Kuzy could be dealt as well at this TDL. Caps would probably have to retain 50% (which rarely happens with the Caps), but at $3.8m for one more year, Kuzy could be a nice addition to a contending team...

If / when (hopefully) Kuzy is dealt, do we have confidence that a Strome, McM, Lap, Dowd middle would be good enough....?
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 9:50 a.m.
With a "thinner" center market, I could see Dowd generating a pretty big return. But I am hoping the Caps hold on to him (unless its a ridiculous offer)...I think next season the Caps have one final chance to truly contend (reasons: a lot of cap space this offseason, younger guys have more experience, hopefully a reset for the veterans, the acquisition of 1-2 skilled forwards).

One has to wonder if Kuzy could be dealt as well at this TDL. Caps would probably have to retain 50% (which rarely happens with the Caps), but at $3.8m for one more year, Kuzy could be a nice addition to a contending team...

If / when (hopefully) Kuzy is dealt, do we have confidence that a Strome, McM, Lap, Dowd middle would be good enough....?

If they can get a first for him (which I don't think is likely but certainly not out of the realm of possibility!!!!!) I think you have to move Dowd. Anything less and I would rather hold on. As for Kuzy, I think the extra year makes it a lot harder for a team to take a chance on him, especially if we don't also want to take bad money back in addition to retaining.

Is Strome, McM, Lap, Dowd enough down the middle? I would say no, and you're looking at McM or Lap to either take big steps or find a new 2c IMO. Is it better than the current Strome/Kuzy/McM/Dowd? Unfortunately it probably is
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 2 at 1:27 p.m.
If they can get a first for him (which I don't think is likely but certainly not out of the realm of possibility!!!!!) I think you have to move Dowd. Anything less and I would rather hold on. As for Kuzy, I think the extra year makes it a lot harder for a team to take a chance on him, especially if we don't also want to take bad money back in addition to retaining.

Is Strome, McM, Lap, Dowd enough down the middle? I would say no, and you're looking at McM or Lap to either take big steps or find a new 2c IMO. Is it better than the current Strome/Kuzy/McM/Dowd? Unfortunately it probably is

Would agree with everything you stated above...

1. A first for Dowd is an automatic yes
2. Anything less, probably would keep him
3. I also would be interested to see if they could package him up similar to a Sandin deal (Dowd and Jensen could be a nice package)
4. Totally agree with your assessment on the centers...but will say, I would be somewhat comfortable to have McM as 2C, as long as you have a more experienced 3C behind him (like a 2018 Eller, or Wennberg, even though I am not a fan of Wennberg particularly). Someone with experience and reliable. I do not think Lap should be the answer for 3c next year
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 5:04 p.m.
Would agree with everything you stated above...

1. A first for Dowd is an automatic yes
2. Anything less, probably would keep him
3. I also would be interested to see if they could package him up similar to a Sandin deal (Dowd and Jensen could be a nice package)
4. Totally agree with your assessment on the centers...but will say, I would be somewhat comfortable to have McM as 2C, as long as you have a more experienced 3C behind him (like a 2018 Eller, or Wennberg, even though I am not a fan of Wennberg particularly). Someone with experience and reliable. I do not think Lap should be the answer for 3c next year

I think the way to go is definitely a Sandin deal or to move Dowd for a bad contract to up that pick value. I still dream of Dowd for Goodrow + 1st + 2nd

I would feel fine with McM at 2c as well ... if we actually had elite wings for either of the top two lines. Strome/McM/Lap/Dowd is a lot of good complimentary guys but I just don't see them driving offense without help on the wings which we just don't have. I would much rather get an elite winger to play with one of them (guentzel, reinhart) than another OK center like Wennberg to play behind them.
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 5 at 10:33 a.m.
Kuzy not at practice for "personal reasons" ...
Feb. 8 at 6:00 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Interested to see if the Caps will do what's been insinuated by reports and use the Backstrom+Kuznetsov space to take on some bad contracts in return. In thoughts of a Dowd trade, maybe they take on Goodrow or Faksa as a dump? I personally don't really like the idea of it but I wonder if they go that direction with Dowd moving out and wanting a more experienced (though not great) center as a replacement for the time being.
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 10:27 a.m.
What are our thoughts on McM? I thought he started the season great (and that is coming from a guy who has not always loved McM and always thought it was odd how Caps fans were so in love with him)....but now...he has been invisible on the ice through a good string of games....

In December, I was ready to give him a 5x4m contract minimum....

Now...maybe leaning towards a cheaper / bridge deal? Am I being over-critical?
qc14 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 9 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Interested to see if the Caps will do what's been insinuated by reports and use the Backstrom+Kuznetsov space to take on some bad contracts in return. In thoughts of a Dowd trade, maybe they take on Goodrow or Faksa as a dump? I personally don't really like the idea of it but I wonder if they go that direction with Dowd moving out and wanting a more experienced (though not great) center as a replacement for the time being.

I think the unfortunate reality is that unlike last year with Orlov/Eller/MoJo (and theoretically Strome/Wilson/Sheary/TvR/Jensen, who they decided to not move), they just don't have many good assets this year. Pacioretty and Edmundson were brought in with the idea of being moved but I don't see either of them bringing back more than a 3rd, Mantha has played really well and upped his value but once again don't see anything more than a second, TvR and Jensen have played themselves out of a good return. Lindgren has been great but the goalie market is always inscrutable.

That really leaves Dowd and their cap space as the only premium assets they have. I think if you can get a first for Dowd, you have to do it as much as I love him here -- he's getting up there in age and while an integral part of this team is not the difference between them competing or not (while he certainly could be for a top team with iffy depth at forward like EDM or NYR). BMac has proven time and time again that he's incredibly good at finding UFA bottom 6 forwards -- Dowd, Hathaway, NAK, Chiasson, Connolly, DSP, Milano, and others were all picked up off the scrap heap and turned into legitimate contributors, the only real miss he's had that I can think of is Panik (and Leipsic, but that was very much for off-ice issues that I don't blame management for).

Using the cap space to take back bad contracts is the only other way I see them getting back a first. Would it suck to have Goodrow/Faksa/Campbell on the books? Absolutely. Is this team, especially with Kuzy and Backy almost certainly done, in a position where they need to be maximizing every single ounce of cap space anymore? Absolutely not. Even if you want to go and make a big splash in FA (which I am less and less convinced is the right move, especially if Reinhart stays in FLA) they can pretty easily do that AND take back some bad money.

I think the bigger issue is honestly what Leonsis wants -- we know that he as a rule does not like buyouts and the team has been competing/spending to the cap for basically the entirety of the cap era. Is he willing to eat that money even when the team is bad? The Wiz had been floating at or near the luxury tax line for a while even though the team was dreadfully below average and with them FINALLY starting a real rebuild have been willing to take back iffy long term money for assets (Poole being the most obvious) which gives me some hope, but this is a different situation and Leonsis recently doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

TLDR: idk what else they have to give besides Dowd and bringing back cap dumps
Feb. 9 at 10:46 a.m.
What are our thoughts on McM? I thought he started the season great (and that is coming from a guy who has not always loved McM and always thought it was odd how Caps fans were so in love with him)....but now...he has been invisible on the ice through a good string of games....

In December, I was ready to give him a 5x4m contract minimum....

Now...maybe leaning towards a cheaper / bridge deal? Am I being over-critical?

I think he will basically turn out to be a slightly worse version of prime Eller -- great 3c with overall good impacts everywhere, can play up in the lineup if needed but not ideal for extended periods of time, good penalty killer, ok but not great on the powerplay, point production will always leave fans wanting a bit more. That's a great result for the 25th pick but also a player profile much more suited to a contender than whatever this team is. At 23, he's not really a young player anymore and this is almost certainly what he will be for his career.

I would bridge him (and Sandin, who I think in many ways is the D version of McM ...). The risk with any bridge is that the player really breaks out and what you could've gotten for 7mx7 you instead need to give 12mx8 -- look at what Bouchard is doing in EDM for example, or PK Subban all the way back in his MTL days. For a contending team or even one on the ascendancy (Devils with J Hughes), that could be a disaster as you really need to squeeze every drop of cap to compete long term. For the Caps, any overperformance from McM would be all positive, and I would happily take not having a "steal" of a contract on a star player to actually get said star player.
Feb. 9 at 11:56 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I had no idea we played yesterday
Feb. 13 at 2:02 p.m.
Edited Feb. 13 at 2:49 p.m.
I really like the below two trades...curious to hear your thoughts:

1. WSH: Dowd & Lindgren for EDM: Broberg, 2024 1st, and a (any year) 3rd
Could also do Dowd & Jensen for Broberg and 2024 1st
Then use Lindgren to another team for a 1st or 2nd + prospect

2. WSH: 2025 2nd, 2025 2nd & AA for NSH: Thomas Novak

What are our thoughts? I personally like both trades and think it would be beneficial. My only concern is that is Novak too similar to McM and Lap? I see McM as a very solid 3c and I project Lap as a fine 3c (slightly worse than McM). Is that the same projection for Novak? I just don't know his game all that well.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Feb. 13 at 5:42 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I really like the below two trades...curious to hear your thoughts:

1. WSH: Dowd & Lindgren for EDM: Broberg, 2024 1st, and a (any year) 3rd
Could also do Dowd & Jensen for Broberg and 2024 1st
Then use Lindgren to another team for a 1st or 2nd + prospect

2. WSH: 2025 2nd, 2025 2nd & AA for NSH: Thomas Novak

What are our thoughts? I personally like both trades and think it would be beneficial. My only concern is that is Novak too similar to McM and Lap? I see McM as a very solid 3c and I project Lap as a fine 3c (slightly worse than McM). Is that the same projection for Novak? I just don't know his game all that well.

I like the first trade, but I have some reservations regarding Novak. He's not a bad center by any means but UFA status greatly concerns me, and I worry that Nashville would also require more for him, which I wouldn't be willing to give up. Think Caps would be better off finding a deal for Mittelstadt or Frost rather than Novak if they wish to find a top 6 center.
All_Knowing liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:50 p.m.
That was about as perfect a game as you can ask for -- play hard and give a close effort against a good team, get ovi a goal, lose. Going to really suck to see Dowd go
Feb. 14 at 11:39 a.m.
I like the first trade, but I have some reservations regarding Novak. He's not a bad center by any means but UFA status greatly concerns me, and I worry that Nashville would also require more for him, which I wouldn't be willing to give up. Think Caps would be better off finding a deal for Mittelstadt or Frost rather than Novak if they wish to find a top 6 center.

Yeah that makes sense - I don't know Novak's game all that much, but I assume the trade would come with an extension (and I've seen some pred fans say he will get 3x3m ish)...

I think along with a true top 6 winger, the Caps should prioritize a true 2c. A solid middle is necessary for a stanley cup contending team (especially looking at past winners), and I don't see McM being able to be that true 2c (which is fine, he will be a great 3c).
Feb. 22 at 6:43 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Notes from El-Bashir's mailbag as we barrel towards the deadline:
- Keep an eye on Clay Stevenson to move up his eta, especially if there are subtractions at the deadline.
- Caps will likely use their 1st on a center or a RHD. Looking for the next Backstrom or Carlson.
- McMichael is now viewed by the organization as a "graduated" prospect. So, no more trips to Hershey for him, even (potentially) for the AHL playoffs.
- Teams aren't allowed to share almost anything about players in the assistance program, and may not even know all the details regarding circumstances themselves. So, in the dark on Kuznetsov.
- TEB's rankings for players who could get traded at the deadline (from highest to lowest): Dowd, Edmundson, Mantha, Jensen, TvR, Pacioretty, Lindgren, Kuemper. Caps aren't looking to trade players for low round picks, looking still to retool and feel the depth of the draft is weak. Says Dowd has been on team's radars for a while and would also add NAK into trade talks.
- Expects Dowd, Mantha, and Edmundson to generate most interest at the deadline (as said above) and that Dowd will provide the biggest return.
- On the top of Leonard's ceiling, has heard 2nd line winger deployed in all situations.
- Also on Leonard, says gut feeling is that he will return to BC next year. Could change if they win it all and Smith+Perreault move on, as well as assurances that a top 9 spot will not be a crowded competition. Leonard is "hyper-aware of the fine line" between making a jump early vs arriving at the right time.
- Deadline will likely be similar to last year if they sell. Trading UFAs and looking for youth/prospects to expedite the rebuild. Also says Caps would like to make another Sandin style move.
- Thinks Frank, Stevenson, Limoges, and maybe Sutter to get chances in the NHL if the situation arises, along with Dube who just got called up.
- Deadline will shed more light on the Caps plan for TvR, Jensen, and Bear. Carlson isn't going anywhere, and the signing of Bear likely means they think Iorio is still a decent ways away.
- Expects Trineyev and Stevenson to be the "surprise" prospects to make the team over the next 2-3 years.
- Caps still view Lapierre as a middle 6 center, no change on their view of him.
- Says he would be very surprised if the Caps don't find a way to add a pass first, veteran top 6 center.
- Zegras obviously fits the bill on the type of player the Caps want to add, but doesn't know how they feel internally on him.
- Caps could look to take on bad contracts for picks. Doesn't name any targets.
- Carbery has tweaked his offensive zone philosophy to get the defense involved recently and has tailored his scheme to fit this Caps team. Initial results look promising following the Florida game, they're 3-1-1 since, with most of the goals coming from the "house" area of the ice.
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 22 at 6:44 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Notes from El-Bashir's mailbag as we barrel towards the deadline:
- Keep an eye on Clay Stevenson to move up his eta, especially if there are subtractions at the deadline.
- Caps will likely use their 1st on a center or a RHD. Looking for the next Backstrom or Carlson.
- McMichael is now viewed by the organization as a "graduated" prospect. So, no more trips to Hershey for him, even (potentially) for the AHL playoffs.
- Teams aren't allowed to share almost anything about players in the assistance program, and may not even know all the details regarding circumstances themselves. So, in the dark on Kuznetsov.
- TEB's rankings for players who could get traded at the deadline (from highest to lowest): Dowd, Edmundson, Mantha, Jensen, TvR, Pacioretty, Lindgren, Kuemper. Caps aren't looking to trade players for low round picks, looking still to retool and feel the depth of the draft is weak. Says Dowd has been on team's radars for a while and would also add NAK into trade talks.
- Expects Dowd, Mantha, and Edmundson to generate most interest at the deadline (as said above) and that Dowd will provide the biggest return.
- On the top of Leonard's ceiling, has heard 2nd line winger deployed in all situations.
- Also on Leonard, says gut feeling is that he will return to BC next year. Could change if they win it all and Smith+Perreault move on, as well as assurances that a top 9 spot will not be a crowded competition. Leonard is "hyper-aware of the fine line" between making a jump early vs arriving at the right time.
- Deadline will likely be similar to last year if they sell. Trading UFAs and looking for youth/prospects to expedite the rebuild. Also says Caps would like to make another Sandin style move.
- Thinks Frank, Stevenson, Limoges, and maybe Sutter to get chances in the NHL if the situation arises, along with Dube who just got called up.
- Deadline will shed more light on the Caps plan for TvR, Jensen, and Bear. Carlson isn't going anywhere, and the signing of Bear likely means they think Iorio is still a decent ways away.
- Expects Trineyev and Stevenson to be the "surprise" prospects to make the team over the next 2-3 years.
- Caps still view Lapierre as a middle 6 center, no change on their view of him.
- Says he would be very surprised if the Caps don't find a way to add a pass first, veteran top 6 center.
- Zegras obviously fits the bill on the type of player the Caps want to add, but doesn't know how they feel internally on him.
- Caps could look to take on bad contracts for picks. Doesn't name any targets.
- Carbery has tweaked his offensive zone philosophy to get the defense involved recently and has tailored his scheme to fit this Caps team. Initial results look promising following the Florida game, they're 3-1-1 since, with most of the goals coming from the "house" area of the ice.

Huge wall of text so here are my thoughts:
- Wonder if we'll see Lapierre again or if they'll go elsewhere. Since they still view him as a middle 6 center, I wonder if they've gotten the look they wanted and have a plan in place already for next year.
- In the vein of a Sandin style move: maybe Morgan Frost? would depend on if he's available.
- Caps seem slightly lower on Leonard than some scouts. Surprised by the "2nd line" tag.
- Not sure who fits the bill regarding veteran center. Pavelski?
- Interesting to see how Carbery has tailored his scheme. Would like to see how it works the rest of the year.
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 22 at 7:31 p.m.
Huge wall of text so here are my thoughts:
- Wonder if we'll see Lapierre again or if they'll go elsewhere. Since they still view him as a middle 6 center, I wonder if they've gotten the look they wanted and have a plan in place already for next year.
- In the vein of a Sandin style move: maybe Morgan Frost? would depend on if he's available.
- Caps seem slightly lower on Leonard than some scouts. Surprised by the "2nd line" tag.
- Not sure who fits the bill regarding veteran center. Pavelski?
- Interesting to see how Carbery has tailored his scheme. Would like to see how it works the rest of the year.

- I think Lappierre remains in the org. Not enough depth at forward to necessitate a move and he doesn't have a high enough pedigree/strong enough results to be worth a lot on the open market anyways.
- The forward version of Sandin (in terms of the bet, hopefully not in terms of results so far!) is exactly what I think GMBM wanjts to do. Would love Frost but I think most of the issues between him and Philly have been cleared up and I don't think he'll be available. MIddlestadt I don't know if the caps have what it takes to make a move for. Not sure what other options are out there
- Leonard I think we really have to wait to see how he looks without Perrault/Smith. Not saying he's being carried by them as almost all prospect guy says that he drives a lot of that line, just that the chemistry between them is so good it's tough to know what other situations look like. By second line winger I think more they mean that he's not going to be the best winger on a cup contender -- more of a brady Tkachuk than a Matthew
- Lindholm
- I think changing the scheme hasn't been as important as not having Kuzy ... obviously no one would ever admit that
NoVaSpartan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll