SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

2023-24 Season Thread

Feb. 22 at 8:20 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: qc14
- I think Lappierre remains in the org. Not enough depth at forward to necessitate a move and he doesn't have a high enough pedigree/strong enough results to be worth a lot on the open market anyways.
- The forward version of Sandin (in terms of the bet, hopefully not in terms of results so far!) is exactly what I think GMBM wanjts to do. Would love Frost but I think most of the issues between him and Philly have been cleared up and I don't think he'll be available. MIddlestadt I don't know if the caps have what it takes to make a move for. Not sure what other options are out there
- Leonard I think we really have to wait to see how he looks without Perrault/Smith. Not saying he's being carried by them as almost all prospect guy says that he drives a lot of that line, just that the chemistry between them is so good it's tough to know what other situations look like. By second line winger I think more they mean that he's not going to be the best winger on a cup contender -- more of a brady Tkachuk than a Matthew
- Lindholm
- I think changing the scheme hasn't been as important as not having Kuzy ... obviously no one would ever admit that

Should clarify on my first point, I don’t mean out of the org, just not being called up this year so they can see others. Think he’s a top candidate for 3C next season.
Regarding Lindholm, I feel they’ll likely balk at his asking price. Not sure they’re comfortable devoting 9 out of a free 12 mil to him.
I like Mittelstadt as a youth option also.
qc14 liked this.
Feb. 22 at 8:30 p.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Should clarify on my first point, I don’t mean out of the org, just not being called up this year so they can see others. Think he’s a top candidate for 3C next season.
Regarding Lindholm, I feel they’ll likely balk at his asking price. Not sure they’re comfortable devoting 9 out of a free 12 mil to him.

Sorry misread you on Lap. I think they sort of see him as they did McMichael last year -- showed some at the NHL level but clearly not ready. Better for him long-term (and for AHL vets making less and with less of an opportunity to showcase themselves) to just stay full time in the AHL where he's trusted to play big minutes on a historically good team. They know what he is, they know he's not above guys like Sgarbossa on the NHL depth chart, they don't know what guys like Dube or Frank are.

I wouldn't be thrilled with Lindholm either especially at the rumored prices, but I don't really know what other centers are out there since I see almost no way Reinhart doesn't stay in Florida. Stamkos? Pavelski? Neither of them are really centers either. I also think they're going to have more than 12M to spend as well.
Feb. 22 at 9:52 p.m.
Huge win tonight. It sucks that he's in the program but man its impossible to ignore how much better they've looked without Kuzy. I know I'm probably in the minority here but give me an actual playoff race and picking 14th vs. having the rest of the season be a complete drag and picking 9th. Last couple have been fun as hell to watch.
Feb. 22 at 10:58 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
what are the chances that was oshies acl
Feb. 23 at 6:51 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

Was proven wrong within 24 hours lmao
Feb. 24 at 8:49 p.m.
What an effort tonight (and 1000% should have been a trip on Protas in OT). This team looks so much better without Kuzy and I'm all the way back in -- buy baby buy
Mar. 5 at 7:04 p.m.
And the sell off starts. I trust in BMac and will reserve all judgement until the deadline is passed but if all they do is get a late second or two it will be a massive disappointment.
All_Knowing liked this.
Mar. 6 at 8:38 a.m.
And the sell off starts. I trust in BMac and will reserve all judgement until the deadline is passed but if all they do is get a late second or two it will be a massive disappointment.

I thought this was exactly what Mantha's return would be...and think it is funny to see on twitter caps fans up in arms about the return (when at the beginning of the season, Mantha was a healthy scratch and would have cost a 2nd to dump lol).

I am really hoping that 2nd is used in a package to get a younger player - similar to last year's TDL
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Mar. 6 at 8:44 a.m.
Quoting: All_Knowing
I thought this was exactly what Mantha's return would be...and think it is funny to see on twitter caps fans up in arms about the return (when at the beginning of the season, Mantha was a healthy scratch and would have cost a 2nd to dump lol).

I am really hoping that 2nd is used in a package to get a younger player - similar to last year's TDL

Yea I agree that in a vacuum that's probably the "right" return for Mantha, but at the same time late seconds aren't helping them towards either a retool or a full rebuild.

Would like to see BMac get a little bolder now that his hands aren't tied with the Backstrom and Kuzy situations.
All_Knowing and capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 9:00 a.m.
Edited Mar. 6 at 9:06 a.m.
Yea I agree that in a vacuum that's probably the "right" return for Mantha, but at the same time late seconds aren't helping them towards either a retool or a full rebuild.

Would like to see BMac get a little bolder now that his hands aren't tied with the Backstrom and Kuzy situations.

Especially with both extra cap space AND 12 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years. Lot to work with

But 1000% agree with you - if all the Caps get are 1-2 late seconds, that won't help the team rebuild/retool. Bmac really has to flip those picks for actually players who are either NHL ready now or will be next season (or a top 6 forward but I have a feeling that won't happen until the offseason)
qc14 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 9:50 a.m.
Sandin resigned 5x$4.6m - pretty spot on (honestly slightly under than I thought). Not bad not bad at all.
qc14 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 9:54 a.m.
Sandin resigned 5x$4.6m - pretty spot on (honestly slightly under than I thought). Not bad not bad at all.

Like the Protas extension, extremely fair for a guy who is probably a good 4d or below average 3d on a contender. I'm a bit surprised they're going long(ish) with all of these second deals right now and not bridging to try to max out space the next two years, but definitely pros and cons to both approaches.

McM next ...
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:06 a.m.
Like the Protas extension, extremely fair for a guy who is probably a good 4d or below average 3d on a contender. I'm a bit surprised they're going long(ish) with all of these second deals right now and not bridging to try to max out space the next two years, but definitely pros and cons to both approaches.

McM next ...

I am very curious to see what McM comes in at...

I am kinda with you - I thought Protas would get a bride (and honestly I thought he would get around 2m). Unlike some other Caps fans, I thought Protas was give slightly too much.

Sandin extension was spot on imo. Start of the season, I had Sandin 5x5m. With the amount he played this year, I would find it hard to imagine he would take anything less than 4.6m.

It does beg the question now...are we comfortable with Fehevary and Sandin as 1 and 2 LHD...? If the Caps want to be a contending team, I don't know...
qc14 liked this.
Mar. 6 at 10:09 a.m.
I am very curious to see what McM comes in at...

I am kinda with you - I thought Protas would get a bride (and honestly I thought he would get around 2m). Unlike some other Caps fans, I thought Protas was give slightly too much.

Sandin extension was spot on imo. Start of the season, I had Sandin 5x5m. With the amount he played this year, I would find it hard to imagine he would take anything less than 4.6m.

It does beg the question now...are we comfortable with Fehevary and Sandin as 1 and 2 LHD...? If the Caps want to be a contending team, I don't know...

I would be comfortable if there was a significant upgrade a 2RD over Jensen (and probably at 3LD and 3RD over Edmundson/Bear!). I still think the big problem is just talent all over the roster -- if Hanifin is a possibility, do it because he's a great player, don't think "we could use a righty more." Same at forward where obviously a center would be nice but I'm taking the elite winger over the ok center every time.
All_Knowing liked this.
Mar. 6 at 2:52 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
what do u guys think of foegele
Mar. 6 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121

Better (but also more expensive) NAK / the Hagelin of 3 years ago. Guy who really rounds out a bottom 6 on a contender and perfectly fine to take back but absolutely not someone this team should be targeting.
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Mar. 6 at 11:46 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

Noted terrorist. keep him away from Oshie at all times
Mar. 6 at 11:47 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Looking at buying teams+forwards remaining, I have a hard time seeing Dowd getting moved at this point. I have the feeling MacLellan won't move him if it isn't for a 1st, and I don't think the market supports him getting a 1st based on the Mantha, Tarasenko, and Hanifin returns.
Mar. 7 at 9:05 a.m.
Looking at buying teams+forwards remaining, I have a hard time seeing Dowd getting moved at this point. I have the feeling MacLellan won't move him if it isn't for a 1st, and I don't think the market supports him getting a 1st based on the Mantha, Tarasenko, and Hanifin returns.

I think the good thing is he's the only center left now with Henrique and Wennberg off the board. That plus the extra year has proven to carry lots of value among GMs.

Must say I think the Caps should've been in on Hanifin for that price!
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:09 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
eddy for roberston

how would u feel about that
qc14 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 9:40 a.m.

I think the good thing is he's the only center left now with Henrique and Wennberg off the board. That plus the extra year has proven to carry lots of value among GMs.

Must say I think the Caps should've been in on Hanifin for that price!

I don't see Dowd getting moved either, especially since EDM COL and NYR all upgraded at the center position (all teams who I saw as potential fits for Dowd).

I have a bad feeling that Caps are going to come out of this TDL with a 2nd & 4th (from Mantha), two 4ths (from Patches), and a 3rd (from Eddy). And that's it.

I just don't see BMac being bold enough (or maybe the market is not there) to make a trade involving Dowd/Lindgren for a young NHL ready player...
Mar. 7 at 11:20 a.m.
Edmundson to TOR
Mar. 7 at 11:30 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Edmundson to TOR

pls be nick rob
Mar. 7 at 11:31 a.m.
pls be nick rob

3rd and 5th which is pretty good imo
capsfan2121 and All_Knowing liked this.