Forums/Armchair-GM

So is my cap space correct

Created by: GolfBall
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 10, 2023
Published: Oct. 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
$931,884 season start. Minten might go down after 9 games but am betting he stays. So what do you think happens when Timmins comes off LTIR? Does Gio do a Spezza or is there something I'm missing?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$82,568,116$0$0$931,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$845,833$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Exactly the lineup I hope to see
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
The smartest move would be to put Reaves on waivers.
If he gets claimed great! If not only $200k of his salary counts towards the cap.

They could put Timmins on waivers, but he would most likely get claimed by another team.

The third and most likely option would be to trade Jarnkrok.
That would solve all of their cap issues
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Tj_gm
The smartest move would be to put Reaves on waivers.
If he gets claimed great! If not only $200k of his salary counts towards the cap.

They could put Timmins on waivers, but he would most likely get claimed by another team.

The third and most likely option would be to trade Jarnkrok.
That would solve all of their cap issues

Yea there not gonna put the first guy they wanted on waivers they know the strengths and weaknesses.

Brad Treliving specifically wanted Reaves for his ability to drag teams into the fight, change the culture, and for his lockeroom/BTS vibes.

Most likely like we saw with Lafferty, Timmins will be traded as there is no spot for him. Now due to the injury and contract they may try to risk passing him through but to be safe and not lose him for nothing they may try and trade him

As for Jarnkrok lets be real if they wanted to trade him he would have been the first to go but I got a feeling teams gonna ask for a sweetner to take him like we are seeing with OTT and Joseph. Yes he scored 20 goals but 2.1m for 3 years for a guy who at the end will be 34 wont be appealing to all teams and cap space is a weapon. Why should I help you get under gimmie a 3rd and sure we will have him

With the 930k left either look to add someone via FA (Kane, Bear, Bailey) or bring someone up.
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Either gio pulls the spezza move or they roll 11-7
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SomeonesOffended
Either gio pulls the spezza move or they roll 11-7

Going 11-7 is something no NHL team has done for a full season

Its not a viable strategy

They are probs gonna trade Timmins like they did Lafferty

As its not viable to lose more depth just to keep 1 guy
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Quoting: aadoyle
Going 11-7 is something no NHL team has done for a full season

Its not a viable strategy

Well do it until someone else gets injured then caps no issue
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Well do it until someone else gets injured then caps no issue

Why as said before not a viable strategy for a full season

Losing more forward depth to keep a Dman makes no sense. Dman hate the 11-7 strategy and often it leads to to many men or other bad penalties.

Moving Timmins and going 12-6 with an extra forward or Dman at 930k is the logical choice

As if Minten's thriving in the NHL no point in sending him down.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:15 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Why as said before not a viable strategy for a full season

Losing more forward depth to keep a Dman makes no sense. Dman hate the 11-7 strategy and often it leads to to many men or other bad penalties.

Moving Timmins and going 12-6 with an extra forward or Dman at 930k is the logical choice

Yeah but we gotta get a 3rd minimum for timmins I’ve seen Vancouver trying to get him for a second but there’s no guarantee that that player will be as good as him
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah but we gotta get a 3rd minimum for timmins I’ve seen Vancouver trying to get him for a second but there’s no guarantee that that player will be as good as him

Your not getting that for him what you saw for Lafferty is probs what you will get. Nobody is giving a 3rd for a guy who could end up on waivers. Teams know the cap situation and know they can get for less

And for those who go why waivers the above explains it. Why lose more depth and cause chaos in the lineup to fit him. He wont get PP time thanks to Rielly and Klingberg and hes not a strong PKer so not much for him besides his strong passes.

Probs will get a 4th, 5th or maybe a cheaper player for him but nothing to fret about. Or who knows with his injury they may try to slip him through waivers

But if Minten thrives his time in Toronto could very well be up as going for 20 players vs. 21 does not seem to be in their plans. As if it was Lafferty would still be a leaf.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Your not getting that for him what you saw for Lafferty is probs what you will get. Nobody is giving a 3rd for a guy who could end up on waivers

And for those who go why waivers the above explains it. Why lose more depth and cause chaos in the lineup to fit him. He wont get PP time thanks to Rielly and Klingberg and hes not a strong PKer so not much for him besides his strong passes.

Probs will get a 4th, 5th or maybe a cheaper player for him but nothing to fret about

I am fretting about it we do not sell low on him we will run 11-7 or gio pulls a spezza
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I am fretting about it we do not sell low on him we will run 11-7 or gio pulls a spezza

Why would Gio pull a Spezza he wants to play. We did that due to Robertson getting hurt and desperately needed space. Was not our first choice

As I keep saying going 11-7 is not viable for a whole season very few teams have done it.

In the end Timmins does not have a spot. Get what you can and move on as come TDL hes not gonna have a spot on this team anyways heck might be gone by then. Cause he needs PP time to thrive along with being in the offensive zone but Rielly and Klingberg are there so that puts a dent in those plans.

Also if Minten thrives his time in Toronto could very well be up as going for 20 players vs. 21 does not seem to be in their plans. As if it was Lafferty would still be a leaf.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:24 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Why would Gio pull a Spezza he wants to play. We did that due to Robertson getting hurt was not our first choice

As I keep saying going 11-7 is not viable for a whole season

In the end Timmins does not have a spot. Get what you can and move on as come TDL hes not gonna have a spot on this team anyways heck might be gone by then

Cause if Minten thrives his time in Toronto could very well be up as going for 20 players vs. 21 does not seem to be in their plans. As if it was Lafferty would still be a leaf.

It doesn’t need to last all season we get 1 injury then we can scratch timmins
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It doesn’t need to last all season we get 1 injury then we can scratch timmins

Why we hoping for injuries lul. Not a good way to think about it what if nobody gets hurt the whole season

As if Minten thrives why send him down anyways lul. Look I get it Timmins had a strong preseason but flexibility is important and just because a player had a strong preseason does not mean a strong regular season

Timmins needs PP time to do his work but we got Rielly and Klingberg. He doesnt kill penalties nor is he great in his own end and thats an issue already seen with Klingberg and Rielly

Get what you can and use the 930k in cap to field a 21 man team with or without Minten (If Minten goes to Junior call up Holmberg or Robertson)
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Why we hoping for injuries lul. Not a good way to think about it what if nobody gets hurt the whole season

And for the 3rd time it doesn’t need to last all season there’s bound to be injuries they happen every year or more simply gio pulls a spezza he wouldn’t care if it was only for a couple games he could use the break anyways
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
And for the 3rd time it doesn’t need to last all season there’s bound to be injuries they happen every year or more simply gio pulls a spezza he wouldn’t care if it was only for a couple games he could use the break anyways

You dont know Gio much do you he wants to play. He tells Keefe gimmie the mins and Keefe obliges. Doubt he goes sure send me down for a few I will be okay. As look at what happened last year Timmins didnt get a lot of play time and Keefe played Gio over him along with Schenn and Gustafsson

As if Minten thrives why send him down anyways lul. Look I get it Timmins had a strong preseason but flexibility is important and just because a player had a strong preseason does not mean a strong regular season

Timmins needs PP time to do his work but we got Rielly and Klingberg. He doesnt kill penalties nor is he great in his own end and thats an issue already seen with Klingberg and Rielly

Get what you can and use the 930k in cap to field a 21 man team with or without Minten (If Minten goes to Junior call up Holmberg or Robertson). Also with the 930k in cap gained Leafs can sign someone like Bear to be their #6 or 7 till the TDL. Thats better than ruining depth to have a 1.1m Dman up
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
You dont know Gio much do you he wants to play. He tells Keefe gimmie the mins and Keefe obliges. Doubt he goes sure send me down for a few I will be okay

Get what you can and use the 930k in cap to field a 21 man team with or without Minten (If Minten goes to Junior call up Holmberg or Robertson). Also with the 930k in cap gained Leafs can sign someone like Bear to be their #6 or 7 till the TDL. Thats better than ruining depth to have 1 Dman up

Yes I’ve tried by adding in McMann and squeezing the cap to try and scratch timmins but there no way to unless you waive reaves, if Minten really impresses they should be moving on from jarnkrok that’s what makes the most sense
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yes I’ve tried by adding in McMann and squeezing the cap to try and scratch timmins but there no way to unless you waive reaves, if Minten really impresses they should be moving on from jarnkrok that’s what makes the most sense

If they wanted to move on from Jarnkrok would have been done over Lafferty

Tree likes Jarnkrok and he, Knies and Minten have looked good together. Would also cost an asset to move him based on the whole Joseph stuff.

With the Klingberg signing and the injury interrupting his showing Timmins could be on the move. Whether waived for the Marlies, claimed, or traded his time most likely is up here. As lets be real even if they had the space to keep him and field a 21 man team he wouldnt play much if at all as Klingberg and Rielly gonna run the PP's

Now if he comes back and there's an injury hes safe till said player gets healthy. But I got a feeling like Lafferty were gonna see a move
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:39 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
If they wanted to move on from Jarnkrok would have been done over Lafferty

As I keep saying why lose more forward depth for a Dman. Makes no sense.

I don’t know man but the one thing I do know is the leafs aren’t waiving him and they don’t under sell on him
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I don’t know man but the one thing I do know is the leafs aren’t waiving him and they don’t under sell on him

Leafs cant afford to keep him up on the main roster. They got 931k in cap. If they wanted to make room for him they would have done so. Jarnkrok move was all that was needed but they didnt

They moved Lafferty to make room for Minten.

And when it comes down to it Leafs will take what they can for him as its either waivers and potentially lose him for nothing or trade and get what you can. As in the end by the TDL hes probs not even gonna be here knowing this team. We had him doing well last year what did we do

Go get Gustafsson and Schenn. Would not surprise me if the Leafs go get another Dman pushing Timmins to #8 or 9 if hes even still here that is

Cause lets be real if the Leafs believed in Timmins to be their PP QB and secondary offensive guy Klingberg would have never happened. Should have honestly traded Timmins at the draft may have got a tad more than now oh well nothing to fret about
Oct. 11, 2023 at 5:34 a.m.
This idea of just waiting on an injury to have 19 skaters is crazy.

Consider the age of Tavares, Brodie, Giordano, Reaves, etc....
Consider the "we dont know factor" of Knies, Minten, Liljegren, Woll, etc....
Consider the injury history of Brodie, Samsonov, Klingberg, Timmins, etc....

Timmins doesn;t play defense, hes a young and brittle version of Klingberg, whos been moved a few times, so his value isn;t huge (A similar Cal foote just went on waivers yesterday)
Its a really bad idea not to have cap space for 13f and 7d based on those worries.
Its a really bad idea just to wait for an injury, as that injury could be to one of teams top 5 players, one we have no depth to cover for
Its a really bad idea to have a pretty average defense, that you lack prospects and picks to address, when your team has 11 UFAs. Theres very little assets and no cap space to make improvements/fixes.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll