Forums/Armchair-GM

Weegar

Created by: Lancebmx
Team: 2024-25 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 11, 2023
Published: Nov. 16, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a corresponding team from my Flames Full Rebuild.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/4692048

Ottawa POV of a Mackenzie Weegar and Chabot trade.

Trade Details are as follows

Ottawa Receives:
Mackenzie Weegar
2024 2nd Round Pick CAL

Vancouver Receives:
Thomas Chabot

Calgary Receives:
Connor Garland
Josh Bloom
Erik Brännström
2024 1st Round Pick BOS (Based on the Debrincat trade conditions)
2024 1st Round Pick VAN
2025 2nd Round Pick VAN

This trade would be made before or at the draft.

Weegar could be the perfect addition for this team as he brings what this team is lacking on the back end, a strong defensive defenseman who can also move the puck well.

The pick swap is likely less than 8 spots difference.

Ottawa actually saves 1.75M of cap space in this deal which will help them with re-signing Chychrun and whoever else in the future.

This team shouldn't have any major cap issues as well for the next couple of years.

I have Ottawa selecting Adam Jiricek with their first pick this draft.

Toffoli can be replaced with any scoring winger, maybe Tarasenko re-signs.
Foegele could be any strong defensive forward to play in the bottom 6.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,375,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Weegar, MacKenzie
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Brännström, Erik [RFA Rights]
  2. Chabot, Thomas
  3. 2024 1st round pick (DET)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$86,744,881$850,000$600,000$755,119
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 4
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,375,000$5,375,000
RW, LW
UFA
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
RFA
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,050,000$8,050,000
LD
UFA - 8
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 16, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
I just don't see a scenario where the Sens would add a first to Chabot for Weegar. If anything cgy would add but I could see a scenario where it's straight up with age difference, contract value etc cancelling each other out. Riskier for Sens than Cgy
Xspyrit liked this.
Nov. 16, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: CMac66
I just don't see a scenario where the Sens would add a first to Chabot for Weegar. If anything cgy would add but I could see a scenario where it's straight up with age difference, contract value etc cancelling each other out. Riskier for Sens than Cgy

It's basically dropping like 6-8 spots in the draft. Also I feel Weegar > Chabot. No reason for Calgary to consider a trade where they don't see themselves "winning" either.
Nov. 16, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Quoting: Lancebmx
It's basically dropping like 6-8 spots in the draft. Also I feel Weegar > Chabot. No reason for Calgary to consider a trade where they don't see themselves "winning" either.

Lol 'winning' not sure what that means it's very subjective? Sens probably don't want to do a trade where they're 'losing'. This isn't NHL 24

Flames want younger probably. Also Chabot would be easier to trade at contract expiry or he could resign. Way more flexibility. There's probably a bigger market for Chabot in prime age, less years on a contract than a 29 year old signed for 8 years. So getting out of an 8 year commitment is considered a win by GMs. Especially if rebuild is the direction.
I don't love the contract for the sens going back. But -1.5m on the cap. Sometimes it's the price of doing business
Xspyrit liked this.
Nov. 16, 2023 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: CMac66
Lol 'winning' not sure what that means it's very subjective? Sens probably don't want to do a trade where they're 'losing'. This isn't NHL 24

Flames want younger probably. Also Chabot would be easier to trade at contract expiry or he could resign. Way more flexibility. There's probably a bigger market for Chabot in prime age, less years on a contract than a 29 year old signed for 8 years. So getting out of an 8 year commitment is considered a win by GMs. Especially if rebuild is the direction.
I don't love the contract for the sens going back. But -1.5m on the cap. Sometimes it's the price of doing business

'Winning' means there is no reason for the Flames to make the trade unless they feel they get the better end of it. Not hard to figure out.

There probably isn't a bigger market for Chabot over Weegar. Teams would likely take the better defenseman making less money who plays a premium position over a more expensive one playing a position that everyone has a lot of even though he's younger.
Nov. 16, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
'Winning' means there is no reason for the Flames to make the trade unless they feel they get the better end of it. Not hard to figure out.

There probably isn't a bigger market for Chabot over Weegar. Teams would likely take the better defenseman making less money who plays a premium position over a more expensive one playing a position that everyone has a lot of even though he's younger.

The level of play is marginal. And teams take into account term, cap hit. There's pros and cons for both sides in the trade. If you want perceived 'wins' then trade Weegar for picks and prospects. Won't know in 5 years if they even draft right or of the prospects turn into anything
Nov. 17, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
As I said in another thread with the same proposal

Chabot is elite in transition and drives the offense a lot. That said Weegar is pretty good at everything and is a RHD so this is tempting.

However he's older and has term that brings him to 37 y/o

Brannstrom + 1st vs 2nd is my problem

If it is just Brannstrom + Chabot, I'd be more interested but not giving up the better pick and a good young D-man
Nov. 18, 2023 at 12:44 a.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
As I said in another thread with the same proposal

Chabot is elite in transition and drives the offense a lot. That said Weegar is pretty good at everything and is a RHD so this is tempting.

However he's older and has term that brings him to 37 y/o

Brannstrom + 1st vs 2nd is my problem

If it is just Brannstrom + Chabot, I'd be more interested but not giving up the better pick and a good young D-man

Both threads are mine, they are linked together.

Teams don't worry about 8 years from now what a guy might be like. A team like Ottawa wants to win now. I do agree Chabot is great as an offensive defenseman but he struggles in the defensive aspects of the game which makes him frustrating. Weegar is good at everything and is elite defensively.
One thing to think about about the picks. I have Calgary selecting 3rd overall, that makes the 2nd #35. Ottawa isn't getting Detroit's pick, they are getting Boston's pick. Boston is likely going to win the division, so that means that pick isn't better than #25. Likely #28 or so again unless they go further. But basically it's dropping 10 spots in the draft. Brännström doesn't really hold alot of value in my opinion, late second early third. He's basically a warm body that Ottawa decides to move on from.
I know this is a scenario that I have Calgary doing a full rebuild, but there would have to be some extra incentive for them to trade Weegar since he does have the term.
I have them trading Chabot to Vancouver for a first, second, Bloom and Garland.
Also the one problem with Chabot is that almost every team has a player similar to him, if not on the team then in the system. Not every team has a guy like Weegar and it seems like more teams than not have a desire to acquire a guy like Weegar. Not including rebuilding teams, I can think of about 10 teams that could really use a player like Weegar. I actually had a bit of a difficult time finding a team that had the need and cap space for Chabot. Obviously some teams would make deals happen but I was more looking for teams that would have a need for and not just ones like Detroit that could use the upgrade he would be. So basically long story gone way too long, Weegar is a heck of alot more desirable hence the hefty price.
Now price put aside, wouldn't you say that this team is a heck of alot more complete while being cap compliant?
Nov. 19, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Teams don't worry about 8 years from now what a guy might be like. A team like Ottawa wants to win now. I do agree Chabot is great as an offensive defenseman but he struggles in the defensive aspects of the game which makes him frustrating. Weegar is good at everything and is elite defensively.
One thing to think about about the picks. I have Calgary selecting 3rd overall, that makes the 2nd #35. Ottawa isn't getting Detroit's pick, they are getting Boston's pick. Boston is likely going to win the division, so that means that pick isn't better than #25. Likely #28 or so again unless they go further. But basically it's dropping 10 spots in the draft. Brännström doesn't really hold alot of value in my opinion, late second early third. He's basically a warm body that Ottawa decides to move on from.
I know this is a scenario that I have Calgary doing a full rebuild, but there would have to be some extra incentive for them to trade Weegar since he does have the term.
I have them trading Chabot to Vancouver for a first, second, Bloom and Garland.
Also the one problem with Chabot is that almost every team has a player similar to him, if not on the team then in the system. Not every team has a guy like Weegar and it seems like more teams than not have a desire to acquire a guy like Weegar. Not including rebuilding teams, I can think of about 10 teams that could really use a player like Weegar. I actually had a bit of a difficult time finding a team that had the need and cap space for Chabot. Obviously some teams would make deals happen but I was more looking for teams that would have a need for and not just ones like Detroit that could use the upgrade he would be. So basically long story gone way too long, Weegar is a heck of alot more desirable hence the hefty price.

Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Jarventie and Kleven are all 21 y/o. Sogaard is 22 y/o. Norris, Tkachuk, Batherson and Chychrun are all 25 y/o and less. Ottawa just went through a scorching earth rebuild, they want to compete for years to come so term left on contracts matters.

Yes they want to start winning now but it has to make sense going forward. Chabot for Weegar could make sense to balance the LHD/RHD aspect but Brannstrom + 1st - 2nd to make that swap is not that attractive (even if the pick drop is not as huge as it looks)

Brannstrom is not just a warm body, he was voted 2nd best player in the game yesterday (after Forsberg) and was directly responsible for the 2 pts. He is a very good 2-way 3rd pairing D-man who can play higher in the lineup when Chabot/Chychrun/Sanderson is injured

Now regarding Chabot, he is not good at every aspect of defense but he is Elite in transition, he excels in several aspects that helps his team drive the offense. Transition is probably the biggest aspect in defense today, spending time in your zone is not the best way to defend but transitioning the puck to offense quickly is.

Now price put aside, wouldn't you say that this team is a heck of alot more complete while being cap compliant?

Yes and no, that 3rd pairing is really bad. Kleven will be good eventually but is just starting in pro hockey. Brannstrom is good enough to carry Hamonic into respectability but without Brannstrom, that pairing is caved in. Weegar brings many strengths but removing Chabot lowers the quality of the team a lot so not sure how much positive impact it has in the end

Signing Toffoli is great but what the Sens need the most is the right GM who would bring in the right coaching staff.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll