SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My current 2024 rankings

My current 2024 rankings

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Playersoverpayed
Published: Dec. 26, 2023 at 4:10 a.m.
Description
Overall it's a weak draft overall, but you can at least stockpile depth D-men in a year like that.
Especially it looks like at the moment as one of the worst goalie pools in many years. Eemil Vinni and Marcus Gidlof will therefore be selected high.

I have not forget about Jiricek, Ritchie, Howe, Brandsegg-Nygard etc. They are just not on my Top 32 list at the moment.

There are plenty of big, decent D-men to choose from, including RHDs many teams are looking for.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Macklin CELEBRINI
Safe pick and ready for at least 9 NHL games in 2024.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Cayden LINDSTROM
Big and/or tough top centers are rare, you need to reach for them (2023 Carlsson, 2022 none (Gauthier?), 2021 McTavish, 2020 Byfield, 2019 Dach, Cozens...).
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Artyom LEVSHUNOV
Safe RHD option. The best D-man on his team, one of the best in the NCAA. He's been on my radar since his time with Belarussian version of NTDP.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Sam DICKINSON
Safe LHD option from the very good hockey program (London). I only have some second thoughts because he is 2nd D-man on his team behind Bonk.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Cole EISERMAN
What holds him down is his position (winger) and his commitment to NCAA team in 2025/26. But his goal-scoring potential is undeniable.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Carter YAKEMCHUK
He is one of the older 1st time eligiabile prospects so what you see is what you get. If you get Bouchard or Dobson type is that a big GM's win.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Zeev BUIUM
My biggest riser. Scoring leader amongst all D-men in the NCAA. His brothers are in the 6ft2-6ft3 range. Despite turning 18 I assume he will grow an additional inch.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Zayne PAREKH
Boom-or-bust candidate. I am not a big fan of offensive D-men, but he might be the best Erik Karlsson's version beside original one.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Emil HEMMING
I am going for the potential here. Bigger, right-shot players are worth premium. He has higher potential than Helenius...
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Konsta HELENIUS
…who at the moment is the better player of the two. 3rd scorer on his Liiga team, excellent on his U-20 national team. His size holds him down.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Anton SILAYEV
His playing position and size holds him high on the board. His production has been sharply declining, but I think D-men are much more valuable than wingers.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Ivan DEMIDOV
Forward with high upside. Thinking of Kaprizov and Panarin might make teams to select him very high. But I don't think he has Michkov's potential.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Liam GREENTREE
Safe pick on the wing. I assume his position will make him slowly slide on my list.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Tij IGINLA
Safe, young selection. Think here of Neighbours, Greig, Othmann, McGroarty...
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Henry MEWS
His position (RHD) holds him up. Probably NHL D-man on the 2nd pairing.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-
Berkly CATTON
Another offensive forward. Probable top-6 winger at the NHL level.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
Nikita ARTAMONOV
Select your wingers with lower picks rather than reaching out for Demidov.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Dean LETOURNEAU
Go for the unicorn. I don't like to reach, but for him I would make an exception.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Michael HAGE
I don't see huge upside here, but he is a center and the best player on his team.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Trevor CONNELLY
So far the best forward on his team. His slim frame puts me into doubts.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Luke MISA
One of the best OHL producers. Potentially small, 3rd line NHL center (Pageau type).
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Adam KLEBER
Big RHD, the best D-man on his team. Commited to a decent NCAA program in Duluth.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-
Colton ROBERTS
Big RHD with 2-way potential. He probably needs 2 additional seasons in the WHL.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Simon ZETHER
Big, right-shot center. But it remains to be seen if he has top-6 potential.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Lukas FISCHER
Going for the potential with one of the youngest here. His brother is 6ft7, father is 6ft5 with over 300 NHL GP.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Will SKAHAN
Safe, annual-ish NTDP product of that caliber (2018 Miller, 2020 Kleven, 2021 Schmidt, 2023 Cleveland).
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Timur KOL
Young D-man from the very good, offensively-oriented program (Gulyayev, Miroshnichenko, Trikozov...).
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
John MUSTARD
Young forward with some offensive potential. But it's too soon to tell if he has top-6 upside.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas Stars
Adam JECHO
Many second thoughts here. He is injured at the moment and invisiable on his U-18 national team.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
Cole BEAUDOIN
Potential NHL center with low upside. Select here D-man if you're not in a desperate need of centers.
31Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Florida Panthers
EJ EMERY
Safe selection on the back end. He is going to a very good North Dakota's program.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
Luca MARRELLI
Again, if you're not impressed with the small wingers available, select depth D-man.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 10:48 a.m.
Trevor Connelly, on talent alone, should be top-5 or 10. He is the best skater in this draft and his game resembles Jack Hughes in a lot of respects. The edges, the vision…he just doesn’t play with top linemates to put up crazy numbers.

He is much further down on people’s lists due to an unfortunate social media post a few years ago (and some saying he shouldn’t be drafted at all). But since that mistake, he has done everything right. He owned his mistake, he talks about it, he has done tons of education, community service and has view that he is not done making it right. All it takes is one team to see him as draft-worthy.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:20 a.m.
@NHLfan10506
Thank you for the reply. I've never heard of any unfortunate post and it's not my bussiness.

I know he is good and I know the team is not as good this season (btw, I think in 2024 someone will select his former teammate, Tanner Adams). But I try not to be emotionally attached to any player. Connelly is either 6ft0 or 6ft1 and weights around 160lbs. Look a photo of his face ( https://stormhockey.com/sports/mhockey/roster/trevor-connelly/13 ). He is skinny and these players are very risky. Either are they top-6 or out of the roster. On the other side can 190lbs players handle all the aspects of hockey game and play tough shifts. I am leaning towards other side, that is to slide Demidov and Catton down on my list.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
I can't see Catton falling that far.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
NHLfan10506
Thank you for the reply. I've never heard of any unfortunate post and it's not my bussiness.

I know he is good and I know the team is not as good this season (btw, I think in 2024 someone will select his former teammate, Tanner Adams). But I try not to be emotionally attached to any player. Connelly is either 6ft0 or 6ft1 and weights around 160lbs. Look a photo of his face ( https://stormhockey.com/sports/mhockey/roster/trevor-connelly/13 ). He is skinny and these players are very risky. Either are they top-6 or out of the roster. On the other side can 190lbs players handle all the aspects of hockey game and play tough shifts. I am leaning towards other side, that is to slide Demidov and Catton down on my list.

The post wasn’t good, but there have been worse. He posted a photo with friends on Snapchat included a swastika made from blocks. The important part is how he has learned from that mistake and how much he matured from that experience. But some believe his punishment should be permanent. Personally, I think the response tells you more about the person. Everyone has regrettable events at age 15. Not everyone learns from them.

He is skinny, but has the frame where a couple of years in NCAA will allow him to bulk up a little (6’0” 180 lbs is good considering how well he moves).

I think he has a chance to be an elite transition player in NHL. If he were at US NTDP (and hadn’t had social media problem) he would probably be viewed higher on these lists. He has been included on US teams recently for tournaments (and I believe he has led each one in scoring). My guess is that he will be top-6 player at U18 this spring.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
The post wasn’t good, but there have been worse. He posted a photo with friends on Snapchat included a swastika made from blocks. The important part is how he has learned from that mistake and how much he matured from that experience. But some believe his punishment should be permanent. Personally, I think the response tells you more about the person. Everyone has regrettable events at age 15. Not everyone learns from them.

He is skinny, but has the frame where a couple of years in NCAA will allow him to bulk up a little (6’0” 180 lbs is good considering how well he moves).

I think he has a chance to be an elite transition player in NHL. If he were at US NTDP (and hadn’t had social media problem) he would probably be viewed higher on these lists. He has been included on US teams recently for tournaments (and I believe he has led each one in scoring). My guess is that he will be top-6 player at U18 this spring.

The point is potential top-6 NHL wingers are relativelly common. You can make a case for many more to make my top-32 (Howe, Ritchie, Gridin, Burrows...) and I can understand that. But if I am GM, I would spend high picks on (1) top-6 centers, (2) top pairing D-men or (3) wingers with the highest scoring potential. Top centers and top D-men are much harder to find, so therefore I give them an edge at the draft table. You can select plenty of decent wingers and bottom-pairing D-men with your lower picks. Overall more complete players should have an advantage against role players. But if Connelly is your guy, I don't have a problem with that at all. Grab him in the top-10, I will span that pick on D-man.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: capsleafs447
I can't see Catton falling that far.

Based on the other rankings it really seems unlikelly. But smaller forwards usually slip down the table and they are relativelly common. I would spend high picks on top centers and top D-men. Wingers are relativelly easy to find with lower picks.
Dec. 26, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
The point is potential top-6 NHL wingers are relativelly common. You can make a case for many more to make my top-32 (Howe, Ritchie, Gridin, Burrows...) and I can understand that. But if I am GM, I would spend high picks on (1) top-6 centers, (2) top pairing D-men or (3) wingers with the highest scoring potential. Top centers and top D-men are much harder to find, so therefore I give them an edge at the draft table. You can select plenty of decent wingers and bottom-pairing D-men with your lower picks. Overall more complete players should have an advantage against role players. But if Connelly is your guy, I don't have a problem with that at all. Grab him in the top-10, I will span that pick on D-man.

There aren't many centers here and Connelly has played both. Hage, Misa...some of these guys may be wingers as well.

While I agree the hierarchy is C>RD>LD>W...I also know that the most common draft bust is 'center with size'
Dec. 27, 2023 at 1:12 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
There aren't many centers here and Connelly has played both. Hage, Misa...some of these guys may be wingers as well.

While I agree the hierarchy is C>RD>LD>W...I also know that the most common draft bust is 'center with size'

I agree. GMs are desperate in their need of centers and size brings some adventage to a prospects. Not exactly in the "size" category, but the teams do regret their selection of Patrick, Glass, Andersson (2017), Turcotte (2019) or even Kotkaniemi (2018). At the time they were seen as sure option at the center and that's why GMs reached for them.

I somehow hate to have Lindstrom on my no. 2 position, because his performance is also in part product of being on a good team and I rather wouldn't take him in front of some other guys. But if there is a significant chance 7-8 years down the road he can be NHL top-line center (at 6ft4 or more and at least 220lbs), then I must consider he is worth a higher spot than some smaller, skilled guys. If in redraft 10-15 years in the future he is maybe no. 5 or no. 6, I'm fine with that. It's much harder to trade for a top centers than trading for top wingers.

Sure, Iginla, Hage, Misa, Boisvert, Beaudoin and some others might be wingers. But playing center in juniors brings to a players adventage in front of junior wingers. Centers are more defensively responsible and they usually fit into some AHL/NHL role (often on the wing). If natural winger is not offensivelly productive he often hurts his own team. It's not playing position that holds Connelly lower on my list, it is his "risk-to-reward ratio". Potential reward is (another) skilled NHL top-6 forward in 4-5 years, while due to his frame and style of play he has higher potential risk of suffering brutal injuries and/or not fitting into bottom-6.

Of course he can prove me wrong. But until he proves he has the same offensive potential as Eiserman or Helenius he will not make my top-10.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll