Forums/Armchair-GM

Winnipeg Jets Thoughts and Feedback

Created by: Lifebane86
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2024
Published: Jan. 3, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team is really tough to predict right now when it comes to trade deadline moves. Their depth pieces have been playing their system incredibly well recently, and it is tough to imagine moving AJF and Toninato off of the fourth line. (I'm sure that production will dip, but right now they are driving a ton of our offensive play.)

These aren't trades, so much as observations that I am making related to potential lineup moves:

1. I want to see a 3rd line of: Iafallo - Lowry - Niederreiter
This line would out-compete most in the NHL, and would be a huge threat to have on the 3rd line. I believe Nino should really be on our 2nd line today, but it would be a great sign if we had the pieces in place to push him to the 3rd line after the deadline.

2. (Obvious warning) We need to move players out if we are going to bring in some new roster players. I would argue that our depth can certainly be upgraded, but the waiver wire would kill us. We can't be sending players like Appleton, Barron, Chisolm or Staley through waivers with no return.

3. Appleton has a skillset that is better suited for a 4th line + penalty kill. I know we were all "wow'd" by this line earlier in the year, but the production has significantly dropped off, and players like Nino need better linemates to get to their potential in this lineup.

4. Despite his recent surge of production, I think Namestnikov can't be our 2nd line center - there are way too many better players available that can get more out of the 2nd line wingers than Namestnikov has. I know he deserves better than a 4th line role, but on a cup contending team, it's a good problem to have.

5. I know I am going to regret this take, but our team metrics without Kyle Connor in the lineup are better in (checks notes) every way. You will not see me advocating for a trade for a player that can score like Connor does, but I believe he is one of the few players remaining in the lineup that doesn't seem to play to the new systems very well. I can imagine a world in which he gets bumped to the 2nd line when he is healthy, and I wouldn't mind seeing what happens if he stays there.

6. I know we are sick of hearing the same thing every year, but we still don't really have a confident 2nd line C in our lineup. (At least one that Bones trusts enough to put in that position.) This seams like the logical move at trade deadline, and if KC is going to be on that line, it has to be someone that is defensively responsible that can set up plays.

7. I know we all love to talk down on Schmidt, but his play this year has been fantastic alongside Samberg. Despite my maaaasive bias and love for Heinola, I can't see us benefiting from taking Schmidt out of the lineup based on his play this year. Which brings us to:

8. Heinola. What to do with Heinola when he returns. I believe Heinola would instantly become our 2nd best puck moving D in this lineup, an area that we are in dire need of (see PP stats and cry with me.) Would we benefit from seeing a few games with Dillon the bench to get a look at where Heinola is at?

Let me know what you think in the comments!
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,371,191$0$1,275,000$128,809
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 3 at 1:43 p.m.
Edited Jan. 3 at 2:03 p.m.
1 & 4) I would love to see Iafello and Namestnikov, moved… we are paying way too much for our bottom lines and we need to upgrade 2C and our RHD. We have lots of younger and cheaper bottom 6 wing and C options in the system, and neither of these 2 belong in the top 6 of a contending team.

2) I think including any of theses players in trades is likely the best option, though cheaper bottom 6 players is how you afford the salaries of the big boys, so maybe keeping them helps too

3) see #2

5) KC is dynamic and can play anywhere, but we would need Ehlers as our 2RW, so Connor needs to slot back at 1LW

6) 2C is our biggest need and should be Chevys main target, (though I highly doubt he even thinks it’s required)… for me Lindholm is the main target… fits our need in every metric and would be a huge add to our team… only issue being would he extend, but you make that part of the trade negotiation.

7) Schmidt absolutely needs to go,… he is hugely over payed and is taking up space better suited to better other options… my opinion is he should never have been acquired to begin with.

8) Heinola, for me, is best suited as a trade piece to either get that 2C or pry a top pairing/top 4 RHD out of somewhere… obviously not the main piece, but definitely an enticing additional piece. I put Samberg ahead of him and I see no place for him to advance in our system.

Lineup I’m thinking, for remainder of this season, is;
Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi
Perfetti - Lindholm - Ehlers
Iafello - Lowry - Neiderreiter
Barron - Namestnikov - Appleton

Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Chisholm

Those top 3 lines would be dangerous and that 4th has potential.
The defence pairings are with existing roster, but we could pick up an RHD to upgrade at any level.
In the offseason, we;
- move Iafello and Namestnikov for cap to spend on 2C extension or whatever, then slot Lambert in with Neiderreiter and Lowry, and Kupari or Gus takes the 4C slot
- depending on salary request or cap need, keep or lose Dillon.. if we lose him, Chisholm gets the bottom paring LD slot with Samberg as 2LD
- upgrade the RHD if it hasn’t already been done.
Jan. 3 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: CanMerc
1 & 4) I would love to see Iafello and Namestnikov, moved… we are paying way too much for our bottom lines and we need to upgrade 2C and our RHD. We have lots of younger and cheaper bottom 6 wing and C options in the system, and neither of these 2 belong in the top 6 of a contending team.

2) I think including any of theses players in trades is likely the best option, though cheaper bottom 6 players is how you afford the salaries of the big boys, so maybe keeping them helps too

3) see #2

5) KC is dynamic and can play anywhere, but we would need Ehlers as our 2RW, so Connor needs to slot back at 1LW

6) 2C is our biggest need and should be Chevys main target, (though I highly doubt he even thinks it’s required)… for me Lindholm is the main target… fits our need in every metric and would be a huge add to our team… only issue being would he extend, but you make that part of the trade negotiation.

7) Schmidt absolutely needs to go,… he is hugely over payed and is taking up space better suited to better other options… my opinion is he should never have been acquired to begin with.

8) Heinola, for me, is best suited as a trade piece to either get that 2C or pry a top pairing/top 4 RHD out of somewhere… obviously not the main piece, but definitely an enticing additional piece. I put Samberg ahead of him and I see no place for him to advance in our system.

Agree with many of your comments. #88 is a great team guy, but the salary is an issue...

2C change is needed... I like your suggestion, but wonder about Monahan, would he be that fit as you mention above?

As far as Heinola, he should be used as a trade asset. He won't last in the playoffs and the heavy going. We haven't seen enough from him in the NHL and I don't buy the elite status by some & the media types here in Wpg. There is this comparsion to Makar by some, who in my opinion, is spenting far to much time on IR the past 2 years since their Stanley Cup run.
CanMerc liked this.
Jan. 3 at 2:43 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Camper27
Agree with many of your comments. #88 is a great team guy, but the salary is an issue...

2C change is needed... I like your suggestion, but wonder about Monahan, would he be that fit as you mention above?

As far as Heinola, he should be used as a trade asset. He won't last in the playoffs and the heavy going. We haven't seen enough from him in the NHL and I don't buy the elite status by some & the media types here in Wpg. There is this comparsion to Makar by some, who in my opinion, is spenting far to much time on IR the past 2 years since their Stanley Cup run.

Who in the **** compared Heinola to Makar?!! 🤣

While I think Heinola has good upside, comparing him to a generational dman is laughable.
Wpgman liked this.
Jan. 3 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Who in the **** compared Heinola to Makar?!! 🤣

While I think Heinola has good upside, comparing him to a generational dman is laughable.

Glad to see your reaction because that is mind... Heinola has upside,but show me every day in the NHL first, but elite status I don't know about that...
MisstheWhalers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll