Forums/Armchair-GM

Moves to consider

Created by: Coachchippy
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2024
Published: Jan. 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm not saying these exact moves ALL need to happen this year, but they do need to happen. This team isn't built to win a Stanley Cup.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Goodrow, Barclay
1$3,600,000
Trades
NYR
    BUY HIM OUT THIS SUMMER. Congrats Goodrow on your 5th point of the season in mid January. We are literally paying a guy 3.6m a year to do nothing except take penalties and ruin momentum. He is great in the playoffs but not enough to warrant this cap hit and atrocious regular season play
    ANA
    1. Goodrow, Barclay
    NYR
    1. Konecny, Travis
    Additional Details:
    Trading Zac Jones:

Once again this is just a framework. Jones is a serviceable 7D but if he's not going to be a full time NHLer we should consider packaging him up, ideally for a superstar RW like Konecny. But we should wait until Kakko gets back and see how he does with Zibanejad and Kreider as RW1 before jumping the gun and making this move. Just something to consider
    NYR
      I don't know. I just don't think we should re-sign these guys. I'm fine with Bonino in an extremely limited 4th line role and I thought all of these FA signings were really good earlier this season but it's just not adequate. Drury needs to construct a better bottom six because it's not fair on Cuylle and Vesey, who are consistent contributors, to have to carry the rest of these stiffs on their backs
      NYR
        Do not re-sign him next year.
        NYR
        1. Minten, Fraser
        2. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
        Additional Details:
        Going to be the most controversial move by a mile but Igor is a puzzling case. When he locks in, it's like no other, but I honestly don't think he's been THAT elite since his Vezina season (outside of the playoffs last year where he was lights-out). I'm not sure if having a kid did this to him or what, but he gets in his head and has had a ton of subpar performances lately. If he's expecting a huge payday, I think these conversations should be taking place now and we should move on from him. Not saying that Quick is a long-term option at all. But Garand seems solid and I bet Allaire can work some magic on him. I just don't know if Igor is the Rangers' long term solution.
        NYR
        1. Bertuzzi, Tyler
        Additional Details:
        This trade isn't perfect but is sort of a framework for the quality return Lindgren should get. We need to find a trade partner with defensive woes like the Leafs, Wild, Sabres, and so on. Lindgren is a warrior but he shouldn't be a part of the Rangers' long term plans unless we want a Girardi 2.0 situation on our hands. I'm really hesitant to lock him up for more than 3 years and I think it's best we move on ASAP in order to let chemistry form between Miller and Fox. The Rangers should use a Lindgren trade to either shore up depth scoring (helps now) or acquire a high end prospect who can meaningfully contribute to the upcoming Youth Core (helps in the future)
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the VAN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        20$83,500,000$80,588,248$610,892$697,500$2,911,752
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the New York Rangers
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $8,500,000$8,500,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 7
        Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $11,642,857$11,642,857
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 3
        $4,437,500$4,437,500
        C, LW
        UFA - 4
        $2,325,000$2,325,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 2
        $828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
        LW
        RFA - 2
        $5,625,000$5,625,000
        C, RW
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $2,100,000$2,100,000
        RW
        RFA - 1
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $845,833$845,833
        C, LW
        RFA - 3
        $800,000$800,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $3,872,000$3,872,000
        LD
        RFA - 2
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 6
        $828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
        G
        RFA - 2
        $825,000$825,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $8,000,000$8,000,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 3
        $825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $797,500$797,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
        LD
        RFA - 1
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
        RD
        RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jan. 11 at 10:51 p.m.
        H.Lindholm Lover
        leafs take it and RUN

just because igor isnt having a great season dosent mean you should trade him. might not be the best comparable but look at austom matthews for example... he went from scoring over 60 goals and winning MVP to only having 40 and having a pretty bad year. the next year hes on pace of north of 70 goals.

i still think igor is a top 5 goalie in the NHL, but hes just lost his way this year. i have no doubt hes going to turn it around

as far as the bertuzzi trade, leafs might go for that one... its definitly more realistic than the igor trade
        Coachchippy liked this.
        Jan. 11 at 10:54 p.m.
        CHYTIL 4 Conn Smythe
        Quoting: odyssey
        leafs take it and RUN

just because igor isnt having a great season dosent mean you should trade him. might not be the best comparable but look at austom matthews for example... he went from scoring over 60 goals and winning MVP to only having 40 and having a pretty bad year. the next year hes on pace of north of 70 goals.

i still think igor is a top 5 goalie in the NHL, but hes just lost his way this year. i have no doubt hes going to turn it around

as far as the bertuzzi trade, leafs might go for that one... its definitly more realistic than the igor trade

All just frameworks honestly. The Igor trade, Rangers would probably be asking for a bit more especially if the trade happened today and Igor is on that discounted contract all the way through next year. I think Bertuzzi would be a good fit on NYR and Lindgren would be a good fit on TOR. But I like the Leafs and I'd advise them too against signing him to a long contract
        odyssey liked this.
        Jan. 11 at 11:09 p.m.
        Shibbal18
        Philly is chasing the playoffs
        Jan. 11 at 11:12 p.m.
        Konecny is Philly’s next captain and they would never move him to the Rangers. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Jones wouldn’t be part of the return. They’d want a 1st, high end prospect, and roster player
        Smitty426 liked this.
        Jan. 11 at 11:13 p.m.
        How is Tor gonna pay Igor what he wants?
        Jan. 11 at 11:15 p.m.
        Milolaborino
        Konecny is going to cost alot

People are missing one of the most glaring things we’ve faced in a long time and that’s injuries. We have guys playing in spots they shouldn’t. Our top 9 has like 4 guys that shouldn’t and won’t be in it. They’re playing shorthanded, it’s not an excuse it’s reality. They don’t need go super crazy (assuming Chytil comes back).

Cuylle looked GREAT on the first line. Zib should be back this weekend so that’s a line that can start getting some chemistry where they may not need a 1RW. Let it marinate and see what happens

The second line is all we have. They’re on the ice so much they’re too tired to play defense, so that hurts right now too.

Forward minutes tonight were outlandish

Kreider -24:11
        Trocheck - 23:16
        Panarin - 22:35
        Laf - 22:39

That’s not normal and just shows you just how shorthanded they are

Trade for Novak. Send them a first rd pick if they have too. That will give us 3 good lines regardless of Chytil coming back or not. Kakko will play probably on Saturday

Kreider Zib Cuylle
        Panarin Trocheck Laf
        Vesey Novak Kakko
        Goodrow Bonino JBrod

TDL improve the 4th line and get a defenseman. Tbh I’d trade Schneider for a rental D and a forward we can use right now. Calgary, Tanev and Ruzicka for Schneider
        Coachchippy liked this.
        Jan. 11 at 11:33 p.m.
        Quoting: Devsfan25
        Konecny is Philly’s next captain and they would never move him to the Rangers. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Jones wouldn’t be part of the return. They’d want a 1st, high end prospect, and roster player

Konecny might be the Flyers next captain(think its far more likely that Couts is), but there is still a decent chance he gets moved. But you are absolutely right Jones wouldn't likely be part of the return. We already have far too many bottom pair defenseman on the team and in the system. I would also agree that a 1st and a top prospect would be a start.
        Jan. 11 at 11:49 p.m.
        boltsfan71
        I mean Philly prob isnt moving konecny for anything the rangers have
        Jan. 12 at 12:07 a.m.
        CHYTIL 4 Conn Smythe
        Quoting: Shibbal18
        Philly is chasing the playoffs

Quoting: Devsfan25

Quoting: BleedOrange23
        Konecny might be the Flyers next captain(think its far more likely that Couts is), but there is still a decent chance he gets moved. But you are absolutely right Jones wouldn't likely be part of the return. We already have far too many bottom pair defenseman on the team and in the system. I would also agree that a 1st and a top prospect would be a start.

Quoting: boltsfan71
        I mean Philly prob isnt moving konecny for anything the rangers have

These trades are all just frameworks. Konecny would be great on the Rangers and is probably my preferred choice but you can substitute any high end available RW to get the idea. And, if Kakko shows the same amount of improvement as Lafreniere has this year when he gets back from injury, the Rangers should ride that instead of spending assets on a RW from another team
        Jan. 12 at 12:15 a.m.
        CHYTIL 4 Conn Smythe
        Quoting: Smitty426
        How is Tor gonna pay Igor what he wants?

Not extending Marner is an option. Both Mitch and Igor end after 2024-25. A lot of people are done with the expensive Core Four and it seems like Marner is the odd man out as time goes on (Nylander is now a Leaf for life, Matthews locked in for a while, and JT will take a discount to stay so no reason to run him out of town). Anyways, not extending Marner frees up 10m+ and the cap will go up significantly by then as well. If they manage to lock up Igor for ~8m it's very doable
        Smitty426 liked this.
        Jan. 12 at 12:33 a.m.
        Shibbal18
        Quoting: Coachchippy
        These trades are all just frameworks. Konecny would be great on the Rangers and is probably my preferred choice but you can substitute any high end available RW to get the idea. And, if Kakko shows the same amount of improvement as Lafreniere has this year when he gets back from injury, the Rangers should ride that instead of spending assets on a RW from another team

There's too many possibilities if you can substitute any winger in the league so I can only speculate on the proposal before me. If you want an option on a different winger, then make another ACGM with a different winger. For this, I don't see Philly selling unless they go on a crazy losing streak.
        Jan. 12 at 12:34 a.m.
        CHYTIL 4 Conn Smythe
        Quoting: Shibbal18
        There's too many possibilities if you can substitute any winger in the league so I can only speculate on the proposal before me. If you want an option on a different winger, then make another ACGM with a different winger. For this, I don't see Philly selling unless they go on a crazy losing streak.

I'm not going to do that because the entire point is that these are frameworks and general ideas, not specific ideas

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll