Forums/Armchair-GM

Top U22 Prospects Update and Mock Draft Scenarios

Team: 2024-25 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 1, 2024
Published: Feb. 1, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
2024 NHL BLACKHAWKS MOCK DRAFT SCENARIOS

First Overall (Macklin Celebrini C) - Elite Top Line Two-Way Player: Celebrini is the clear pick at number one. A great 2-way player with above-average skating, shooting, and hockey sense. He would make an amazing 1-2 punch with Bedard. Celebrini is having one of the best Freshman NCAA years in history at almost 2 ppg and was Canada's best player at the WJC. He isn't a generational player like Bedard, but he will for sure be elite.

Second Overall (Cayden Lindstrom C/LW) - Top Line Player: Lindstrom is a massive 6'5 Center/Winger who would be an amazing winger for Bedard. He's an incredible skater for his size and hands. I see him as a Malkin type of player who could be either center behind Bedard or be on the wing. The Hawks will prioritize him in the draft because of his size

Third Overall (Artyem Levshunov RD) - Number 1 Dman: Levshunov would be a great boost to the lackluster RD prospect pool. He could easily go 2nd overall but I think the Hawks should prioritize forwards. It'll be interesting to see if he is passed up on by the Hawks at 3

Fourth Overall (Cole Eiserman LW) -Top Line Scoring Winger: Eiserman has received a ton of criticism for his only shooting mentality, which is a good mentality until it means you're selfish and one-dimensional. His shot is elite and may be too good to pass up on. He has a very high ceiling but must round out his game if he wants to live up to the status he had last year.

Fifth Overall (Ivan Demidov RW) Top Line Play Making Winger: Demidov is an elite center who put up 17 pts in his last 5 games in the MHL. He will most likely be a winger in the NHL since he's an elite playmaker who plays like Mitch Marner. Taking another undersized player could be frowned upon by fans and the Russian factor could also play in, but imagine Demidov on Bedard's wing. It's too good to pass up on at number 5 and I wouldn't be disappointed.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
What if's:
If the Hawks select a forward in the top 5 then they take (Carter Yakumchuk RD) at pick number 16
If the Hawks select a d man in the top 5 then they take (Liam Green Tree LW/RW) at pick number 16
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Connor Bedard (Generational Center/Winger) - Bedard has clearly shown that he can dominate regardless of his size and the team that surrounds him. Almost a ppg on the worst team in the league is unbelievable and his play will only get better as he continues. I would like to see him get a bit better defensively and be stronger on pucks, but he has exceeded expectations

Alex Vlasic (Top 2 Defensive Dman) - Vlasic has had a big-time breakout season and I believe that this is just the start of what is to come. Think Nick Hjalmarsson, but with more offense. I expect Vlasic to have an even better season next year and produce more points on top of his shutdown role against top players. I've seen comparisons to Victor Hedman, but I don't think he'll be that good offensively. Still gonna be a top pairing d man though.

Kevin Korchinski (Number 1 Offensive Dman) - Although he hasn't produced points as we were hoping, the confidence is growing and Korchinski has been improving. I expect him to have a big year next year as he is still only 19 years old. Defensively he has for sure become more consistent and reliable. With a healthy lineup and some help, I believe he is on track with what the Hawks need him to be in the future.

Oliver Moore (Top 6 Center) - Moore has exploded offensively after the WJC. His speed is gonna be amazing regardless of whether he's a center or winger in the NHL. I project him to spend another year in Minnesota and dominate before making the Blackhawks roster.

Frank Nazar (Top 6 Playmaking Winger) - Nazar after the WJC also exploded offensively and looks like he will be a speedy player in the NHL. I don't think he'll be a center since Bedard is 1C and Nazar would be 2C and they're both 5'10. I like Nazar's speed on the wall anyway and I think he could see a few NHL games if the Michigan season ends early and I think he'll make the team next year.

Sam Rinzel (Top 4 Dman) - Rinzel also has been amazing since the WJC. He is almost a ppg and is the number 1 dman in Minnesota. He had a shaky WJC but that's because he wasn't playing his offensive role and needs to work on his defense if he's gonna make it to the next level. He's a long-term project, but I think one more year of Minnesota hockey before he joins the Hawks or Rockford seems right to me.

Ethan Del Mastro (Top 4-5 Dman) - Del Mastro has looked really good in Rockford as he's known to be a defensive-minded player with a bit of offense but has put up half a ppg in his first pro season. He needs a little touching up on his defensive instincts, but I think he could get a few games next year in the NHL if there are injuries. He could also be trade bait for a big trade due to LD depth but I doubt that.

Wyatt Kaiser (Number 4 Dman) - Kaiser had a rough go with the Hawks this season since he was being scratched, bottom pairing minutes, paired with Tinordi, and on RD some games. He looked amazing in the preseason and I still think he'll be good but he needs some touching up on his game if he's gonna be an every-game type of player.

Drew Commesso (Starting Goalie) - Commesso had an inconsistent Rockford season so far but he's still young. I think the Mrazek contract gives us a good timeline of when to expect him or Gajan to make the NHL jump.

Adam Gajan (Starting Goalie) - Gajan had another incredible WJC and is also having a great season. He'll be playing for Minnesota Duluth next season and the season after that, so it may be a while until he sees an NHL game but he's been a great pick so far.

Gavin Hayes (Top 9 Scoring Winger) - Hayes has an elite shot and is an absolute steal in the 3rd round. He has an interesting ceiling and needs to work on his skating. Since the trade in the OHL, Hayes has 15 points in 8 games, as he is lighting up the scoring and will be in Rockford next season. I think next season will give us a big clue about his future and if his play translates to pro hockey.

Colton Dach (Top 6 Power Forward) - Dach has had a great first pro season and preseason and is producing a ton of points in Rockford. The coaching staff wanted him to play with more physicality and he is for sure doing that while putting up dirty goals. He is a sleeper to be Bedard's future linemate at 6'4, but just like his brother Kirby, Colton has a history of concussions and staying healthy.

Ryan Greene (Middle 6 Center) Greene is a ppg at Boston right now playing on the second line behind Macklin Celebrini and has been amazing. A great 2nd round pick and could potentially end up playing winger. I believe he'll play in Rockford next season.

Paul Ludwinski (Bottom 6 Center) - Ludwinski has had a great bounce-back season in juniors, but I'm not super high on him. He just seems a little lost in the preseason and against NHL or AHL prospects. It's too early to judge, but we'll see how he turns out. He is expected to play in the AHL next season.

Nolan Allan (Bottom Pairing Dman) - Allan has been solid this season and will play next year in Rockford he's a good shutdown dman who could end up playing with Korchinski on his off side since they had a lot of success together in Seattle in juniors together.

Ilya Safonov (Bottom 6 Center) - Safonov has taken a step back in production this year in the KHL. He still has another year in his KHL deal and stated last year that he wants to play for the Blackhawks when it's up. He is a great defensive center who can win tons of face-offs he's also 6'6.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
8$88,500,000$47,397,500$0$4,500,000$41,102,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$962,500$962,500
G
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 1 at 6:51 a.m.
I agree on your view of drafting 1 forward & & 1 RD in the first round. I changed my mind a few times so far on who I think they should take first (assuming not getting the first overall). After Garak’s review of Levshunov I’m leaning towards forward. However I don’t think Yakemchuk is still around when Hawks use the Bolts pick. Jiricek might fall because of injury & possibly due to stigma about his brother’s situation. Most likely it’s 1 of Mews, Elick or Emery. I’m holding out hope that 1 of them is still around for the Hawks to nab with their first pick in the 2nd round. We shall see.
Garak and TheRealKyleDavidson liked this.
Feb. 1 at 8:33 a.m.
I would not put Levshunov or Eiserman high in the top 5. Maybe not even top 10 when all is said and done, because I see some guys who could rise up my rankings pretty easily. I am currently in favor of drafting all forwards in the 1st round. Especially since some VERY good forwards should be slipping with all the hype around defensemen this year, it's the perfect time to take advantage of that. There will be RD in the 2nd and 3rd round, and next year, and the year after, and in free agency, and through trade if need be.

I have watched a lot of both Levshunov and Eiserman, and they aren't all that. I recommend you watch more of them too. USAHockeyTV has some USNTDP games from throughout the season streaming for free on their site along with a bunch of USHL games and what have you. As far as watching Levshunov, you'll need a Big10+ subscription. But I really don't see it with either player. Eiserman is kind of a floater that gets opportunities handed to him and has a great shot. But he is very one dimensional. Levshunov is not exciting at all and he sucks in his own end. He is benefitting heavily from the way he is being utilized and getting puck touches. That isn't to say neither of them are good, but they should not be this high in the top 5, imo.

I would go:
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov/Lindstrom
3. Lindstrom/Demidov
4. Catton
5. Iginla/Basha/Boisvert/Misa/Nygard/Eiserman/Levshunov/etc.

Also, Parekh and Helenius are way over rated, too. As in, I probably wouldn't even have them in my top 20 right now.
Feb. 1 at 9:47 a.m.
Speaking of USNTDP games, WATCH HAGENS! Holy crap that kid is good! I think I like him more than Celebrini.
YeahRighttt liked this.
Feb. 1 at 9:59 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
I would not put Levshunov or Eiserman high in the top 5. Maybe not even top 10 when all is said and done, because I see some guys who could rise up my rankings pretty easily. I am currently in favor of drafting all forwards in the 1st round. Especially since some VERY good forwards should be slipping with all the hype around defensemen this year, it's the perfect time to take advantage of that. There will be RD in the 2nd and 3rd round, and next year, and the year after, and in free agency, and through trade if need be.

I have watched a lot of both Levshunov and Eiserman, and they aren't all that. I recommend you watch more of them too. USAHockeyTV has some USNTDP games from throughout the season streaming for free on their site along with a bunch of USHL games and what have you. As far as watching Levshunov, you'll need a Big10+ subscription. But I really don't see it with either player. Eiserman is kind of a floater that gets opportunities handed to him and has a great shot. But he is very one dimensional. Levshunov is not exciting at all and he sucks in his own end. He is benefitting heavily from the way he is being utilized and getting puck touches. That isn't to say neither of them are good, but they should not be this high in the top 5, imo.

I would go:
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov/Lindstrom
3. Lindstrom/Demidov
4. Catton
5. Iginla/Basha/Boisvert/Misa/Nygard/Eiserman/Levshunov/etc.

Also, Parekh and Helenius are way over rated, too. As in, I probably wouldn't even have them in my top 20 right now.

I have not watched a lot of Eiserman , but what have watched I liked. Sure his shot is his calling card but in addition to that I have observed him lugging the puck in all 3 zones. He has the ability to suck defenders to him (because his shot is so good) & be able to find the free guy to dish the puck to. All evidence I have seen suggests he has exceptional offensive IQ. He is young so he has time to work on his abilities away from the puck. IMO Hawks should consider him.
Garak liked this.
Feb. 1 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: YeahRighttt
I have not watched a lot of Eiserman , but what have watched I liked. Sure his shot is his calling card but in addition to that I have observed him lugging the puck in all 3 zones. He has the ability to suck defenders to him (because his shot is so good) & be able to find the free guy to dish the puck to. All evidence I have seen suggests he has exceptional offensive IQ. He is young so he has time to work on his abilities away from the puck. IMO Hawks should consider him.

Honestly, all the games of him I have watched, I don't see that at all. Occasionally, he will show a little playmaking ability, but nothing that I would would consider to be NHL caliber. Most of the time he is either waiting around in the neutral zone or waiting around in large pockets of space in the offensive zone waiting for the puck to come to him while Hagens and company do all the work. I don't think his play will transition to the NHL that well without being utilized very specifically and a strong team game making up for his shortcomings.

I really tried too. I was high on him for the last two years and was hoping to see some big steps this year. But I have not been very impressed with his play at all. He seems like a prima-donna who doesn't have a great team game and lacks work ethic. Maybe that has more to do with him feeling like he is beyond the USNTDP and needs a bigger challenge. But that is just another red flag to me, especially in his draft year. Either way he is one dimensional and not very exciting, IMO. I have Demidov, Lindstrom, and Catton over him all day, and of course Celebrini, too.
Feb. 1 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: YeahRighttt

Go here: https://usahockeytv.com/upcoming-event then, in the search filters under team, find USA Hockey NTDP U18 and there should be a bunch of free streaming games under there with him in them. You can find his 'game log' on certain websites too so you can match them up with one of the free ones and watch his highest scoring games if thats what you want to see. But i've found, even in his highest scoring games, he isn't very impressive.
Feb. 1 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
Go here: https://usahockeytv.com/upcoming-event then, in the search filters under team, find USA Hockey NTDP U18 and there should be a bunch of free streaming games under there with him in them. You can find his 'game log' on certain websites too so you can match them up with one of the free ones and watch his highest scoring games if thats what you want to see. But i've found, even in his highest scoring games, he isn't very impressive.

Execelent! Thank you! I Will check them out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll