Forums/Armchair-GM

What couldve been

Created by: BluesReport18
Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 4, 2024
Published: Feb. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The point of this post is to show that a lot of times, the best move a GM can make, is no move at all. Just look at Dallas, they make very small moves and don't lose a ton of assets. They also trust their prospects and let them take over for expiring veteran deals.

Unfortunately for Blues fans, Doug Armstrong has made one bad move after another. The only true great move he made in my mind was the Buch trade. Even if I took Buch off this team below it would still be a powerhouse. Look how great our defense could've been but instead of Petro, Dunn, and Walman in our top 4 we have Faulk, Krug, and Leddy...
Trades
STL
  1. Pietrangelo, Alex ($800,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Blues sign Petro to an 8x8 like he wanted with a full NMC. The Blues never trade for Faulk.

The Faulk trade signaled that Petros time here was over so I never understood why we didn't just trade him at the deadline we could've gotten a massive return.
STL
    With Petro still here, the Blues don't need to add any more veteran presence to the blue line and therefore don't need to sign Krug.

Instead they let Hobey Baker winner, Scott Perunovich, take over as the teams 3rd pair dman right out of college. Would Perunovich still get hurt, maybe, but you never know how things could have been different.
    STL
    1. Perron, David ($2,250,000 retained)
    2. Walman, Jake
    Additional Details:
    One of the worst trades I've seen in the Army era. The Leddy trade directly cost us Perron. Perron would've stayed here on a cheap deal but apparently we didn't even give him an offer.
    STL
    1. Fabbri, Robby
    Additional Details:
    Instead of sticking by Fabbri and giving him another chance in the top 6, we decided to trade him for Jacob de la Rose, who would leave the Blues shortly.

If Army wanted to trade Fabbri, why sell so low on him and get nothing of quality in return.

Army should learn not to trade with Detroit, it never works out for the Blues.
    STL
    1. Barbashev, Ivan
    Additional Details:
    Instead of signing Saad, the Blues trust Barbs in a top 9 role and he does great. He's an amazing player to have for a playoff team as we saw in last years stanely cup run.
    STL
    1. O'Reilly, Ryan
    Additional Details:
    The Blues bring back their Captain for a million extra and one extra year on his contract instead of trading for Hayes.
    STL
    1. Dunn, Vince ($1,350,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    The Blues never lose Dunn to Seattle because they don't have to protect Krug. Dunn signs cheaper in St. Louis as he wouldn't have reached his full, Seattle, potential here.
    SEA
    STL
      Never needed if the Blues just trusted Walman.
      STL
        Never picked up on waivers.
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the NYI
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the STL
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$83,500,000$82,339,583$20,000$0$1,160,417
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the St. Louis Blues
        $5,800,000$5,800,000
        LW, RW, C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $8,125,000$8,125,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 8
        $8,125,000$8,125,000
        RW
        UFA - 8
        Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        Logo of the Nashville Predators
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        C
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $835,833$835,833
        LW, RW
        RFA - 2
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        C, LW
        NTC
        UFA - 5
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $775,000$775,000
        RW, C
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        Logo of the Seattle Kraken
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
        $8,000,000$8,000,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        G
        NTC
        UFA - 4
        $3,400,000$3,400,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        RD
        NTC
        UFA - 7
        $775,000$775,000
        G
        RFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        LD
        RFA - 1
        $883,750$883,750
        RD
        RFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000
        LD/RD
        RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Feb. 4 at 2:06 p.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        I know many hate the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" posts but honestly there's a lot to be said about Armstrong just making some bad decisions that have really hampered the Blues when the right move to make was staring him in the face.
        BluesReport18 and palhal liked this.
        Feb. 4 at 2:09 p.m.
        Quoting: MisstheWhalers
        I know many hate the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" posts but honestly there's a lot to be said about Armstrong just making some bad decisions that have really hampered the Blues when the right move to make was staring him in the face.

Agreed, it's sad that really all he had to do was nothing and this team would've been great. Instead he panicked and forced moves that just didn't make sense.
        MisstheWhalers liked this.
        Feb. 4 at 2:30 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: BluesReport18
        Agreed, it's sad that really all he had to do was nothing and this team would've been great. Instead he panicked and forced moves that just didn't make sense.

BluesReport18. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. Nicely written....full of logic...which isn't always presented in these "What could've been"
        Feb. 4 at 2:39 p.m.
        This is the pain of trying to remain competitive long-term.

1. Walman, Dunn, Fabbri - Jake Walman could barely crack the lineup for us. At the time of the trade we had desperately needed a LD that could play with Parayko post Jbo (Which we still do). Walman could not do that at that time. Dunn was not trusted by the coaching staff hardly at all. He was stuck on the 3rd pair because he was unreliable in the defensive zone (which is comical because now 4 of our defenseman fit that mold). There wasn't really much they could do in that front to avoid Seattle taking him in the Expansion draft. Fabbri was traded as a favor to the player. He needed an opportunity to play and we needed to continue winning.

The biggest blunder armstrong had was Pietrangelo and always will be Pietrangelo. You could even say it started when they traded for Faulk. Just the sequence of moves doesn't make alot of sense to go from Pietrangelo to Faulk and Krug and expect good results.
        Feb. 4 at 2:44 p.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        Quoting: palhal
        BluesReport18. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. Nicely written....full of logic...which isn't always presented in these "What could've been"

Haven't seen a "Bruins 2015 draft redo" post in awhile... 🤣
        palhal liked this.
        Feb. 4 at 2:49 p.m.
        Quoting: AC14
        This is the pain of trying to remain competitive long-term.

1. Walman, Dunn, Fabbri - Jake Walman could barely crack the lineup for us. At the time of the trade we had desperately needed a LD that could play with Parayko post Jbo (Which we still do). Walman could not do that at that time. Dunn was not trusted by the coaching staff hardly at all. He was stuck on the 3rd pair because he was unreliable in the defensive zone (which is comical because now 4 of our defenseman fit that mold). There wasn't really much they could do in that front to avoid Seattle taking him in the Expansion draft. Fabbri was traded as a favor to the player. He needed an opportunity to play and we needed to continue winning.

The biggest blunder armstrong had was Pietrangelo and always will be Pietrangelo. You could even say it started when they traded for Faulk. Just the sequence of moves doesn't make alot of sense to go from Pietrangelo to Faulk and Krug and expect good results.

Yeah I agree I think everything started when contract negotiations fell through with Pietrangelo. That led to the Faulk trade and all of these other poor defensive moves happening. Looking back, I was a huge fan of all 3 of Walman, Dunn, and Fabbri. To me, Walman has always been the same player, it wouldn't have mattered if he was 22 or 27 he was pretty much ready for an NHL role but then got passed over for Dunn, who had a higher ceiling. They are different dmen though and I remember for a few games that they played together, Walman and Parayko looked great. The Blues expect perfection from their young defenders but have no accountability for their veteran defenders. That should really be flipped, you should put your young defenders with a veteran defender expecting the young guy to make mistakes and the vet to cover for him, the Blues want the opposite.

With Dunn, that was just a blunder. The blues hated his style of holding the blue line defensively. It worked 95% of the time, but the 5% of the time it didn't work, it led to a breakaway. The Blues couldn't handle this and yet on Seattle Dunn does the same thing and is still excellent at doing it. The only difference is Seattle encourages him to do it and they have Larsson there for the 5% of times that Dunn gets burned.

You're probably right about Fabbri, but I'll never understand why they didn't get more for him. At the end of the day it's a business, if Army couldn't get more for Fabbri, he should've tried harder to make it work in St. Louis. A lot of times Army is just being nice to the player which hurts the team.
        Feb. 4 at 2:49 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: MisstheWhalers
        Haven't seen a "Bruins 2015 draft redo" post in awhile... 🤣

But somehow the Bruins keep on rolling along as top contenders in the East.
        MisstheWhalers liked this.
        Feb. 4 at 3:02 p.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        Quoting: palhal
        But somehow the Bruins keep on rolling along as top contenders in the East.

Just watch, they'll call up Zboril for the playoffs, he'll get in the lineup and turn into the stud dman they thought they got when they drafted him... 🙄
        palhal liked this.
        Feb. 4 at 3:07 p.m.
        Quoting: BluesReport18
        Yeah I agree I think everything started when contract negotiations fell through with Pietrangelo. That led to the Faulk trade and all of these other poor defensive moves happening. Looking back, I was a huge fan of all 3 of Walman, Dunn, and Fabbri. To me, Walman has always been the same player, it wouldn't have mattered if he was 22 or 27 he was pretty much ready for an NHL role but then got passed over for Dunn, who had a higher ceiling. They are different dmen though and I remember for a few games that they played together, Walman and Parayko looked great. The Blues expect perfection from their young defenders but have no accountability for their veteran defenders. That should really be flipped, you should put your young defenders with a veteran defender expecting the young guy to make mistakes and the vet to cover for him, the Blues want the opposite.

With Dunn, that was just a blunder. The blues hated his style of holding the blue line defensively. It worked 95% of the time, but the 5% of the time it didn't work, it led to a breakaway. The Blues couldn't handle this and yet on Seattle Dunn does the same thing and is still excellent at doing it. The only difference is Seattle encourages him to do it and they have Larsson there for the 5% of times that Dunn gets burned.

You're probably right about Fabbri, but I'll never understand why they didn't get more for him. At the end of the day it's a business, if Army couldn't get more for Fabbri, he should've tried harder to make it work in St. Louis. A lot of times Army is just being nice to the player which hurts the team.

I'm not sure he could really ask anything for Fabbri. He was an absolute mess defensively. He didn't have the same jump he had pre-injury but tried to play like it. Always loved Fabbri as the player, but man that injury was brutal. He was getting scratched every other game here. That's one thing that's very admirable about Army. He will do everything in his power not to ruin a guy's career, even if it means taking a bit of hit in a trade.

Dunn was one of my favorite players while he was here and it stemmed back to his fight in the minors down the tunnels. And yeah I'd agree it's a philosophical thing for the team on why he didn't work out here. Although he was still pretty good here, he just wasn't what he is in Seattle.

Walman did get a bit of a runway you're right. But he didn't get much. I think we all just overlook how stabilizing Bouwmeester is and how unready Parayko was at that time to be the stabilizer on a pair.
        BluesReport18 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll