Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2024
Published: Feb. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ignore this just to prove a point
Trades
NJD
  1. Hanifin, Noah ($2,250,000 retained)
  2. Markström, Jacob ($3,000,000 retained)
CGY
  1. Daws, Nico
  2. Holtz, Alexander
  3. Smith, Brendan
  4. Stillman, Chase
  5. Vanecek, Vitek
  6. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
  7. 2026 1st round pick (NJD)
  8. 2026 3rd round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Girgensons, Zemgus ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. Okposo, Kyle ($1,200,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Foote, Cal
  2. 2024 5th round pick (COL)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (NJD)
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$77,148,333$422,500$1,482,500$6,351,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,300,000$1,300,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Calgary Flames
-$1,012,500-$1,012,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 4
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14 at 1:46 p.m.
bye bye depth
Feb. 14 at 1:47 p.m.
Stay in school
Feb. 14 at 1:48 p.m.
Edited Feb. 14 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: jojoyutz
bye bye depth

Imagine being upset about this as a Devils fan.

Got mcdavid without giving up either hughes, hischier or bratt
Herb_Brooks liked this.
Feb. 14 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: jojoyutz
bye bye depth

You can always move Hischier down to the 3rd or leave Hyman out of the deal and use the 5.5 on depth
Feb. 14 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Imagine being upset about this as a Devils fan.

Got mcdavid without giving up either hughes, hischier or bratt

never said i would be upset by this. im just stating that we would have no depth left
Feb. 14 at 2:07 p.m.
Stay in school

Why?
Feb. 14 at 2:08 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
To start:

You added a Palat+Meier+Haula for Hyman swap. Unfortunately Haula and Palat both decline to waive their NMCs for Edmonton.

2nd: You have decimated this teams depth and bottom 6
3rd: Dougie Hamilton will not be healthy until round 2 of the playoffs, who do you plan to fill that role?
4th: You haven't even made the team much better with the McDavid trade (The Hanifin trade is doing HEAVY lifting)
5th: You have decimated the team's future
6th: You have now placed Jack Hughes on the wing. Jack Hughes is not a winger and would much be less effective and less valuable in that role.

I would MUCH rather have a dcore of
Hughes-Nemec
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hanifin-Marino
than what you've left

And a forward core of
Hughes-Meier-Toffoli
Nico-Palat-Bratt
Haula-Lazar-Mercer
Nosek-Opkoso-Bastian

Than what you have left, let alone the future, cap implications, and the 2 extra 1sts I'd have to play with
Feb. 14 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
To start:

You added a Palat+Meier+Haula for Hyman swap. Unfortunately Haula and Palat both decline to waive their NMCs for Edmonton.

3rd: Dougie Hamilton will not be healthy until round 2 of the playoffs, who do you plan to fill that role?
4th: You haven't even made the team much better with the McDavid trade (The Hanifin trade is doing HEAVY lifting)
6th: You have now placed Jack Hughes on the wing. Jack Hughes is not a winger and would much be less effective and less valuable in that role.

Hughes-Nemec
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hanifin-Marino
than what you've left

And a forward core of
Hughes-Meier-Toffoli
Nico-Palat-Bratt
Haula-Lazar-Mercer
Nosek-Opkoso-Bastian

Than what you have left, let alone the future, cap implications, and the 2 extra 1sts I'd have to play with

You got mcdavid without giving up your 4 best players/assets.

Of course you do it.
Feb. 14 at 2:21 p.m.
To start:

Hughes-Nemec
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hanifin-Marino
than what you've left

And a forward core of
Hughes-Meier-Toffoli
Nico-Palat-Bratt
Haula-Lazar-Mercer
Nosek-Opkoso-Bastian

If they both decline then that sucks for you especially that Palat contract. you can move hischier to the 3rd line and put hughes onto the 2nd C. you can also leave Hyman out of the trade and keep Haula and use the rest on depth.

Same question for you who do you replace Hamilton with. I'd just say slap Bahl in there for the moment.

you are a win now team, you don't necessarily need prospects. Tampa didn't and they won 2 cups.

the Hanifin trade adds a lot but not nearly as much of an impact as McDavid would have. He's literally the type of player who will single Handley win a game once and a while for you. and no I didn't add all of those players for hyman. Meier and Haula was for McDavid, Palat was for Hyman. Needed to get rid of Meier cuz some how you guys ruined him and overpaid him.

Additionally, NJ could trade Hischier away for depth. I just decided to keep him cuz I like him
Feb. 14 at 2:24 p.m.
Devils decline it all…rather stick with what we got
Feb. 14 at 2:35 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: LAkingsfan77777
If they both decline then that sucks for you especially that Palat contract. you can move hischier to the 3rd line and put hughes onto the 2nd C. you can also leave Hyman out of the trade and keep Haula and use the rest on depth.

Same question for you who do you replace Hamilton with. I'd just say slap Bahl in there for the moment.

you are a win now team, you don't necessarily need prospects. Tampa didn't and they won 2 cups.

the Hanifin trade adds a lot but not nearly as much of an impact as McDavid would have. He's literally the type of player who will single Handley win a game once and a while for you. and no I didn't add all of those players for hyman. Meier and Haula was for McDavid, Palat was for Hyman. Needed to get rid of Meier cuz some how you guys ruined him and overpaid him.

Additionally, NJ could trade Hischier away for depth. I just decided to keep him cuz I like him

Tampa Bay won in LARGE part because of Brayden Point. If they traded him away for win now help in 2017 would they have won 2 cups?
Tampa Bay made the conference finals in 2011 after missing the playoffs for a number of years. In 2012 they were in a similar spot to NJD on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Did they buy? Nope they actually sold, and that pick turned into Andrei Vasilevsky.
They were contenders for YEARS with Ben Bishop. Did they trade Vasy for win now help?
Another massive part of their cups was Sergachev who they traded for and developed
They held cirelli, another crucial part of their cups.
Feb. 14 at 2:38 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

Trading nico away for depth now leaves another gaping hole in the top 6, with no prospects to fill it because you traded them all away and no picks left to trade for more help.

If you think Palat was for Hyman 1 for 1 your offer for McDavid was even more ridiculous.

NJD is the 2nd youngest team in the NHL there is absolutely no need to go all in now
Feb. 14 at 3:10 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
You got mcdavid without giving up your 4 best players/assets.

Of course you do it.

I'd pass on giving up what I'd value at around 9 1sts for McDavid and Hyman.
Feb. 14 at 3:32 p.m.
I'd pass on giving up what I'd value at around 9 1sts for McDavid and Hyman.

Lol what?
Feb. 14 at 3:34 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Lol what?

2 actual 1sts
4 for Nemec
3 for Mercer
1 for Meier
Dumping Palat costs 1+Haula.
Feb. 14 at 3:36 p.m.
Tampa Bay won in LARGE part because of Brayden Point. If they traded him away for win now help in 2017 would they have won 2 cups?
Tampa Bay made the conference finals in 2011 after missing the playoffs for a number of years. In 2012 they were in a similar spot to NJD on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Did they buy? Nope they actually sold, and that pick turned into Andrei Vasilevsky.
They were contenders for YEARS with Ben Bishop. Did they trade Vasy for win now help?
Another massive part of their cups was Sergachev who they traded for and developed
They held cirelli, another crucial part of their cups.

at that time point wasn't known as a great prospect. If they got an offer for McDavid that included point then they would've accepted. Tampa didn't really sell. the trade you reference was tampa trading for Quincey and immediately flipping him for the first. that isn't selling that's just a great deal for Tampa. Cirelli was never seen as a great prospect either. Tampa is great at drafting and they made hits later in the draft which is what NJ could still do but NJ is honestly just a meh drafter, you almost only get hits with 1sts.

Meier's contract makes him have significantly less value. he just isn't good with the Devils and the cap just needed to work.

and there isn't a need for the Devils to go all out right now you simply said you wouldnt even give Edmonton want NSH wants for Saros for McDavid
Feb. 14 at 3:40 p.m.
2 actual 1sts
4 for Nemec
3 for Mercer
1 for Meier

Lmao no wayyyyyyy omg. There ain't no way you think Nemec is worth 4 1st. he might be worth a single first but whoever trades a high first in this years draft for him is just loosing, the top 3-4 D in this years draft are better prospects then him. he isn't even the best D prospect in the league. and Honestly I'm not even sure Mercer is worth a single 1st atm lol, I mean last year yes but def not this one.
Feb. 14 at 3:44 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
at that time point wasn't known as a great prospect. If they got an offer for McDavid that included point then they would've accepted. Tampa didn't really sell. the trade you reference was tampa trading for Quincey and immediately flipping him for the first. that isn't selling that's just a great deal for Tampa. Cirelli was never seen as a great prospect either. Tampa is great at drafting and they made hits later in the draft which is what NJ could still do but NJ is honestly just a meh drafter, you almost only get hits with 1sts.

Meier's contract makes him have significantly less value. he just isn't good with the Devils and the cap just needed to work.

and there isn't a need for the Devils to go all out right now you simply said you wouldnt even give Edmonton want NSH wants for Saros for McDavid

I'm talking about if they traded point after his rookie year when he was 10th in calder voting, or after his 2nd year when he had 32 goals and 66 points
Or Cirilli after his 2nd year at 21.

You would have had them sell off guys like point cirilli sergachev and cernak after the loss to CBJ for win now pieces.
Instead they moved out JT Miller, Girardi, Callahan, Gourde. Older pieces are what they moved out. They kept their 20-22 year old effective roster players.

And they won a cup. Would they have won that cup if they instead kept JT miller and traded away Brayden Point?
Feb. 14 at 3:53 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Lmao no wayyyyyyy omg. There ain't no way you think Nemec is worth 4 1st. he might be worth a single first but whoever trades a high first in this years draft for him is just loosing, the top 3-4 D in this years draft are better prospects then him. he isn't even the best D prospect in the league. and Honestly I'm not even sure Mercer is worth a single 1st atm lol, I mean last year yes but def not this one.

Cap space is the number 1 most valuable asset in Hockey.

Mercer is a top 6 forward who makes 900k and will only get better.
Nemec is a 19 year old top pairing RHD making 900k for the next 3 years+4 years of RFA control on top of it.
Feb. 14 at 3:57 p.m.
I'm talking about if they traded point after his rookie year when he was 10th in calder voting, or after his 2nd year when he had 32 goals and 66 points

You would have had them sell off guys like point cirilli sergachev and cernak after the loss to CBJ for win now pieces.
Instead they moved out JT Miller, Girardi, Callahan, Gourde. Older pieces are what they moved out. They kept their 20-22 year old effective roster

Instead they moved out JT Miller, Girardi, Callahan, Gourde. Older pieces are what they moved out. They kept their 20-22 year old effective roster players.

And they won a cup. Would they have won that cup if they instead kept JT miller and traded away Brayden Point?

It makes no sense to compare these guys to point. Sure Mercer has similar number in a rookie season but he is not going to become a point and after Point's rookie year he was proven, Holtz and Nemec are still unproven. and they never would've traded point, the miller trade was just to free up cap. and I'm sure they're a little upset not having him now seeing what he turned into. they also had no choice but to let gourde go they literally couldn't stop it. and why would they sell just after a single playoff loss?

again I'm not saying the Devils should sell all their prospects. your just so high on your own prospects that you don't think Mcdavid could ever have the value of your unproven prospects.
Feb. 14 at 3:58 p.m.
2 actual 1sts
4 for Nemec
3 for Mercer
1 for Meier

If nemec is worth 4 1sts then mcdavid is worth 15 1sts

If mercer is worth 3 1sts then mcdavid is worth 30 1sts
Feb. 14 at 4:00 p.m.
Cap space is the number 1 most valuable asset in Hockey.

Mercer is a top 6 forward who makes 900k and will only get better.
Nemec is a 19 year old top pairing RHD making 900k for the next 3 years+4 years of RFA control on top of it.

I totally agree that cap is one of the most important things but dude Mercer has been hard stuck on the 3rd line with an 8.8 Mil meier. Also I'm not totally sold on Nemec being a top 4 D atm. seems like when you let all your vet D go and brought in all the youth ur G started to struggle and ur D seems like it got worse
Feb. 14 at 4:04 p.m.

Exactly. Ain't no way these guys are worth this much
Feb. 14 at 4:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

It makes no sense to compare these guys to point. Sure Mercer has similar number in a rookie season but he is not going to become a point and after Point's rookie year he was proven, Holtz and Nemec are still unproven. and they never would've traded point, the miller trade was just to free up cap. and I'm sure they're a little upset not having him now seeing what he turned into. they also had no choice but to let gourde go they literally couldn't stop it. and why would they sell just after a single playoff loss?

again I'm not saying the Devils should sell all their prospects. your just so high on your own prospects that you don't think Mcdavid could ever have the value of your unproven prospects.

Simon Nemec is literally playing at an top pairing RD level right now. He makes 900k for the next 3 years.

And I'm sure you would have said the same about Brayden Point who was a 3rd round pick back then.

Cap space is king in the NHL.

Mercer costs 900k
Nemec costs 900k

McDavid+3 replacement level UFA scrubs=
16.5 mill

Just to use UFAs for example

Dougie Hamilton costs 9 mill
Palat 6
so 16.8 mill on those 4

I would much rather have
Dougie Hamilton+Nemec+Mercer+Palat on my team than
McDavid+Mattias Janmark+Derek Ryan+Vincent Desjarnais

And god forbid McDavid gets hurt. That is all of your eggs in 1 basket.
Feb. 14 at 4:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

A players trade value is not directly correlated with ability

Connor McDavid will make 37.5 million dollars over the next 3 years then he will be a UFA
Simon Nemec will make 3 million dollars, then let's assume a 6 mill x4 year bridge extension to take him to UFA
Mercer will make 1 mill this year, then let's assume a 4x4 extension that will walk him to UFA (now usually RFAs get 8 which adds even more value but I digress, since we don't officially have control in those years)

Mercer+Nemec will make an estimated 44 million dollars combined for 12 years of team control.

I'm going to put McDavid and value him at an exaggerated 25 million/year market value. That would be 75 mill, or 37.5 mill in surplus value.

To provide that surplus value that would be 81.5 million dollars/12 years for the 2. Or about 6.8 million

Let's look at what you can buy without giving up draft capital for 6.8 mill AAV. (so we're looking at free agents who left to join a new team in UFA)

You can buy a Nazem Kadri at 7 mill. I'd think I'd take the bet on these guys through their early mid/20s over the bet on kadri from age 32-39
You can buy a nice 1 year of John Klingberg.
Maybe Alex Killorn?
Or Ondrej Palat?
Or a severson for 6.25 mill?

I think I'd bet on Mercer and Nemec to be better options than the alternatives.

Cap space rules.

Now I would call McDavid in UFA if I had the cap space and offer him the full 20% cap if I was in a position to do so. Should be about 20 mill AAV at the time when he hits UFA or so?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll