Logo of the Boston Bruins
$1,050,000$317,188
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$234,115
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$302,083 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$1,963,542
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$870,000$262,813 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 20 at 4:51 p.m.
Flames will want Lohrei and a 1st as the start of any conversation for Hanifin
mmccRed198913 liked this.
Feb. 20 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Flames will want Lohrei and a 1st as the start of any conversation for Hanifin

Want and get are two different animals.

I’m curious what Sweeney would give. My guess is if he’s worried about him signing, he’d do something like this.

Gryz, Lohrei, a 1st in 2025, and your choice of Merkulov, Harrison, or Jelvik for Hanifan (1.3M retained) and a 2nd in 2025.

I had asked for a prospect instead of the 2nd, but don’t need to go down that route. Don’t differentiate Morin that much from a second round pick.

Otherwise, wait until July 1st and take the risk that he’s available to sign while keeping our prospects.
ncposeidon liked this.
Feb. 20 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: Celtics21
Want and get are two different animals.

I’m curious what Sweeney would give. My guess is if he’s worried about him signing, he’d do something like this.

Gryz, Lohrei, a 1st in 2025, and your choice of Merkulov, Harrison, or Jelvik for Hanifan (1.3M retained) and a 2nd in 2025.

I had asked for a prospect instead of the 2nd, but don’t need to go down that route. Don’t differentiate Morin that much from a second round pick.

Otherwise, wait until July 1st and take the risk that he’s available to sign while keeping our prospects.

Once again your offer is trash and will be beaten easily. You do realize Calgary's 2025 2nd will likely be quite high right? Especially if Markstrom gets moved. You are asking them to give you a 1st pair caliber defenseman for a couple of mid level prospects and to move up 5-10 spots in the draft
Feb. 20 at 6:37 p.m.
Over pays for both of them
Feb. 20 at 7:51 p.m.
Once again your offer is trash and will be beaten easily. You do realize Calgary's 2025 2nd will likely be quite high right? Especially if Markstrom gets moved. You are asking them to give you a 1st pair caliber defenseman for a couple of mid level prospects and to move up 5-10 spots in the draft

I’ll settle for signing the hometown kid on July 1st and having those middling prospects play a role on a good team.

I tried to bring up a secondary prospect in Morin, but I assume you value your 2025 second more than him.

We’ll revisit this when Hanifin is in Boston, Lohrei is playing third line, Hunter is dealing with his conversion to the AHL, and Calgary is going to be battling for drafting the next kid who will want to leave in 8 years.
Feb. 20 at 8:09 p.m.
I’ll settle for signing the hometown kid on July 1st and having those middling prospects play a role on a good team.

I tried to bring up a secondary prospect in Morin, but I assume you value your 2025 second more than him.

We’ll revisit this when Hanifin is in Boston, Lohrei is playing third line, Hunter is dealing with his conversion to the AHL, and Calgary is going to be battling for drafting the next kid who will want to leave in 8 years.

That's totally fine if you would rather try to sign him in July, though I am doubtful he makes it to free agency. That's completely irrelevant to Calgary as he will 100% be traded before then and for a better return than you are offering. Just because Boston has no assets to improve their roster this deadline doesn't mean other teams won't try to improve their own rosters either
Feb. 20 at 8:31 p.m.
That's totally fine if you would rather try to sign him in July, though I am doubtful he makes it to free agency. That's completely irrelevant to Calgary as he will 100% be traded before then and for a better return than you are offering. Just because Boston has no assets to improve their roster this deadline doesn't mean other teams won't try to improve their own rosters either

The thing about prospect evaluation is it is all over the place and the only opinion that matters is the acquiring team.

You look at Mason Lohrei and see a low ceiling. I look at him and see a rangy kid with puck handling skills who should develop into a solid top 4.

You look at Jeramie Poirier and see the next Thomas Chabot. I see the next Ian Mitchell. I don’t like offensive defenseman who bail on their defensive responsibilities consistently, but I acknowledge the offsensive skill set

The reality is a team could see something different and value prospects. There are a couple on the Bruins that I value more than the 2025 first, but my guess is we wait and see.

Most pending free agents make it to July 1st, but if he does not … so be it. Boston will be an attractive spot for somebody good
Feb. 20 at 9:13 p.m.
The thing about prospect evaluation is it is all over the place and the only opinion that matters is the acquiring team.

You look at Mason Lohrei and see a low ceiling. I look at him and see a rangy kid with puck handling skills who should develop into a solid top 4.

You look at Jeramie Poirier and see the next Thomas Chabot. I see the next Ian Mitchell. I don’t like offensive defenseman who bail on their defensive responsibilities consistently, but I acknowledge the offsensive skill set

The reality is a team could see something different and value prospects. There are a couple on the Bruins that I value more than the 2025 first, but my guess is we wait and see.

Most pending free agents make it to July 1st, but if he does not … so be it. Boston will be an attractive spot for somebody good

You are right that prospect evaluation does differ from person to person. And you are welcome to your opinions on them even if they are against the general consensus (ie Poirier), as am I. Though I think you are misrepresenting my opinion on Lohrei. I think he could develop into a 2nd line caliber defenseman but I don't see the 1st pair caliber in him. I think he definitely has the potential to become a 2nd pairing defenseman. If I thought his ceiling was 3rd pair only I wouldn't have interest in Calgary acquiring him. Calling him bad while also wanting him would be a contradiction.

Pending UFA's on selling teams, especially good pending UFA's in their prime don't often make it to free agency because the team that trades for them doesn't want to lose them after spending so much to get them. Generally if a team trades for a pending UFA they do everything in their power to keep that player (ie Vegas trading Smith to keep Barbie). However that isn't always true as Boston didn't keep Bertuzzi last year but it was widely reported they tried to. I expect Matt Duchene for example to hit free agency but I think Florida will find a way to keep Sam Reinhart. I think Lindholm is going to end up signing an extension with Vancouver but I think Carolina ends up loosing at least 2 of Teravainen, Skjei, and Pesce. I think Matt Roy will be on a different team next year but I think they may try and add Saros or a similar goalie.
Feb. 20 at 9:22 p.m.
From last years trade deadline, who signed before FA? Horvat did, but I think every other player who was acquired with a first round pick made it to free agency. I acknowledge it’s a risk and I’d prefer Hanifin. Just not sure if prefer him over the pending FA forgone and the cost to acquire.
Feb. 21 at 11:13 a.m.
You are right that prospect evaluation does differ from person to person. And you are welcome to your opinions on them even if they are against the general consensus (ie Poirier), as am I. Though I think you are misrepresenting my opinion on Lohrei. I think he could develop into a 2nd line caliber defenseman but I don't see the 1st pair caliber in him. I think he definitely has the potential to become a 2nd pairing defenseman. If I thought his ceiling was 3rd pair only I wouldn't have interest in Calgary acquiring him. Calling him bad while also wanting him would be a contradiction.

Pending UFA's on selling teams, especially good pending UFA's in their prime don't often make it to free agency because the team that trades for them doesn't want to lose them after spending so much to get them. Generally if a team trades for a pending UFA they do everything in their power to keep that player (ie Vegas trading Smith to keep Barbie). However that isn't always true as Boston didn't keep Bertuzzi last year but it was widely reported they tried to. I expect Matt Duchene for example to hit free agency but I think Florida will find a way to keep Sam Reinhart. I think Lindholm is going to end up signing an extension with Vancouver but I think Carolina ends up loosing at least 2 of Teravainen, Skjei, and Pesce. I think Matt Roy will be on a different team next year but I think they may try and add Saros or a similar goalie.

Consensus in scouting world varies. I love Dom Tiano’s stuff on OHL even though he can be overbearing at times. He’s also knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy in person. I miss Bob McKenzie’s detailed scouting reports. I think Wheeler watches players more than once and respect his opinion. I’ve seen him in the stands at OHL games in more than one location.

Can’t stand Pronman. He watches players once and has a bad rep among the scouting types I’ve met. I don’t like consolidators who take others opinions and pretends they are his own. I’ve read scouting reports where they would have been more accurate if they swapped two players.

I do generally favor the Hockey Writers over the Athletic.

Ultimately if I were Sweeney, I would offer Grz, a 2025 first, a 2026 second, and their choice of any two prospects not named Lohrei, Lysell, or Poitras for Hanifin with retention to get him to the same salary as Grz.

Ultimately, Calgary may be able to get better than that. If that’s the case, so be it. To be fair, I could see that being better than a realistic offer for him. I don’t see Dallas or Detroit giving up the prospects that are popularly included by AGM types with a first rounder
Feb. 21 at 2:21 p.m.
Consensus in scouting world varies. I love Dom Tiano’s stuff on OHL even though he can be overbearing at times. He’s also knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy in person. I miss Bob McKenzie’s detailed scouting reports. I think Wheeler watches players more than once and respect his opinion. I’ve seen him in the stands at OHL games in more than one location.

Can’t stand Pronman. He watches players once and has a bad rep among the scouting types I’ve met. I don’t like consolidators who take others opinions and pretends they are his own. I’ve read scouting reports where they would have been more accurate if they swapped two players.

I do generally favor the Hockey Writers over the Athletic.

Ultimately if I were Sweeney, I would offer Grz, a 2025 first, a 2026 second, and their choice of any two prospects not named Lohrei, Lysell, or Poitras for Hanifin with retention to get him to the same salary as Grz.

Ultimately, Calgary may be able to get better than that. If that’s the case, so be it. To be fair, I could see that being better than a realistic offer for him. I don’t see Dallas or Detroit giving up the prospects that are popularly included by AGM types with a first rounder

Because boston may need/want to send hampus to LTIR until the playoffs, theres much less need to ask for retention on hanifin which should make the deal easier to get over the line

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll