Forums/Armchair-GM

After a blockbuster deadline

Created by: Mediumyeet
Team: 2024-25 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 2, 2024
Published: Mar. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Guentzal and Hronek contracts are roughly the same AAV and % of cap as Miller and Dunn.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$7,500,000
2$800,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,500,000
4$2,000,000
3$3,000,000
3$4,000,000
2$1,100,000
2$3,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Smith, Reilly
Additional Details:
Jake Guentzal
PIT
  1. Mikheyev, Ilya
  2. Willander, Tom [Reserve List]
  3. 2025 1st round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Deadline deal
VAN
    Zach Bogosian
    Brandon Duhaime
    MIN
    1. Åman, Nils
    2. Truscott, Jacob [Reserve List]
    3. 2025 5th round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    Deadline deal
    VAN
    1. 2024 4th round pick (BOS)
    2. 2025 3rd round pick (BOS)
    Additional Details:
    Traded anywhere for a couple of picks. Doesn't have to be Boston but I think he'd be a nice fit there and it's his hometown.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$87,700,000$87,675,001$0$32,500$24,999
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $11,600,000$11,600,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 8
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C, LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $6,650,000$6,650,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    UFA
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $836,667$836,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $816,667$816,667
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    RD
    RFA
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA
    $800,000$800,000
    G
    RFA
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LD
    UFA
    $775,000$775,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 2 at 4:56 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    The penguins wouldn't even pick up the phone for that offer.

You need to stop trying to dump Mikheyev on the penguins. They aren't taking him.
    No one is rushing it to take a guy with an almost 5 mil cap hit who has 2 years of contract left. No one.

Furthermore, the return for Guentzel alone would cost more. Willander isn't exactly an exciting prospect.
    Mar. 2 at 5:04 p.m.
    Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck

You need to stop trying to dump Mikheyev on the penguins. They aren't taking him.
    No one is rushing it to take a guy with an almost 5 mil cap hit who has 2 years of contract left. No one.

Furthermore, the return for Guentzel alone would cost more. Willander isn't exactly an exciting prospect.

I agree with most of this, but I will say that Wallinder is an exciting prospect. However, he’s not the greatest fit for PIT, who has Letang and Karlsson eating up minutes at RD for the remainder of Sid’s career. PIT would rather have a forward prospect at Wallinder’s level who can actually contribute in a prominent role on the team very soon.
    jfkst1 liked this.
    Mar. 2 at 5:11 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"

You might end up very disappointed on what Pittsburgh actually gets at the deadline. And I say this is a penguins fan.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Mar. 2 at 5:11 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Quoting: JuanDamienNebraska
    I agree with most of this, but I will say that Wallinder is an exciting prospect. However, he’s not the greatest fit for PIT, who has Letang and Karlsson eating up minutes at RD for the remainder of Sid’s career. PIT would rather have a forward prospect at Wallinder’s level who can actually contribute in a prominent role on the team very soon.

this is exactly the point I'm making.
    He's not an exciting prospect. There is no appeal for him to come to PIT. He's just another offensive defenseman prospect who can't play well in his own end to be the 3rd pairing guy they need there nor is a 3rd pairing defenseman worth trading Jake.
    Lekkerimäki would have to be the return. If they aren't willing to part, oh well no trade. The penguins will get a forward prospect from one of the other 7 teams interested in Jake.
    Mar. 2 at 5:14 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Quoting: jfkst1
    You might end up very disappointed on what Pittsburgh actually gets at the deadline. And I say this is a penguins fan.

no I won't be.
    People said the same thing when OTT traded out EK.
    But they turned it into Norris and Stutzle.

It is really rare that a player of Jake caliber hits the trade market. Who ever makes the move is going to long term deal him. The penguins will be paid nicely for that chance.
    Mar. 2 at 5:14 p.m.
    You're not getting Duhaime and Bogosian for one 5th rounder next year lol
    Mar. 2 at 5:19 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    no I won't be.
    People said the same thing when OTT traded out EK.
    But they turned it into Norris and Stutzle.

It is really rare that a player of Jake caliber hits the trade market. Who ever makes the move is going to long term deal him. The penguins will be paid nicely for that chance.

Buchenvich is at least as valuable, probably more given he has two years remaining. Hanafin is a quality 2D. Guentzel isn't the only high end talent being considered. If he goes in a sign and trade I could see it being strong value return. If he is a rental and especially if Dubas is adamant about getting another roster player back, I'm expecting disappointment.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Mar. 2 at 5:25 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Buchenvich is at least as valuable, probably more given he has two years remaining. Hanafin is a quality 2D. Guentzel isn't the only high end talent being considered. If he goes in a sign and trade I could see it being strong value return. If he is a rental and especially if Dubas is adamant about getting another roster player back, I'm expecting disappointment.

Buchenvich isn't an equivalent to Jake. Jake is a repeated 40 goal pace guy. There is no other forward this year on his level available.
    If you think someone is going to pay out for a rental you don't get the NHL. The vast majority of time a trade like this happens the other team signs the player long tern.
    So if Jake is moved you can expect shortly after he gets an 7 or 8 year deal from that team.
    As for Hanafin, you are talking apples and oranges. Defense on the market has no bearing to forwards on the market. Defense in general is always at a premium. Where forwards move rather easily for the most part. Usually because they are 2nd or 3rd line guys on expiring deals. Where teams tend to not move defense as much because of the dire need for it around the NHL.
    Mar. 2 at 5:29 p.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    You're not getting Duhaime and Bogosian for one 5th rounder next year lol

Maybe you missed the other pieces in there.
    Mar. 2 at 5:32 p.m.
    Quoting: Mediumyeet
    Maybe you missed the other pieces in there.

No, they just have no value.
    Mar. 2 at 5:34 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Buchenvich isn't an equivalent to Jake. Jake is a repeated 40 goal pace guy. There is no other forward this year on his level available.
    If you think someone is going to pay out for a rental you don't get the NHL. The vast majority of time a trade like this happens the other team signs the player long tern.
    So if Jake is moved you can expect shortly after he gets an 7 or 8 year deal from that team.
    As for Hanafin, you are talking apples and oranges. Defense on the market has no bearing to forwards on the market. Defense in general is always at a premium. Where forwards move rather easily for the most part. Usually because they are 2nd or 3rd line guys on expiring deals. Where teams tend to not move defense as much because of the dire need for it around the NHL.

Self evidently untrue just looking at Lindholm. Big package traded for a pure rental. Especially now that Pettersson is extended. Thinking Buch is less valuable than Guentzel is homerism. He's a PPG winger with more cost control. Some teams have interest in both W and LD so it is not an unfair value comparison between Guentzel and Hanifin.
    Mediumyeet liked this.
    Mar. 2 at 5:44 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Self evidently untrue just looking at Lindholm. Big package traded for a pure rental. Especially now that Pettersson is extended. Thinking Buch is less valuable than Guentzel is homerism. He's a PPG winger with more cost control. Some teams have interest in both W and LD so it is not an unfair value comparison between Guentzel and Hanifin.

no teams prioritize their need. Those looking for Defense will spend on D those looking for offense will go looking for it.

Buch is less valuable than Jake. There is no argument there. Nor is it a sure thing he's even on the market.
    You are also assuming VAN won't resign Lindholm. You don't know that. They have the cap space.
    Mar. 2 at 6:10 p.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    No, they just have no value.

I agree Truscott has no value. He is just a throw in. Judd Brackett left the Canucks right after Truscott was drafted so not sure if he was one of his guys or not.

Aman has some value though. He's a 24yr old penalty killing 4C with 2yrs left at 825k. Some size and solid skater.

Bogosian was acquired earlier this year for a 7th round pick after passing through waivers. Can't imagine his value is much higher.

Duhaime comparables usually return a 4th round pick (Motte, Lazar are a couple of examples). I'd be fine with say a 4th + 6th instead of this package but I feel Aman would be more interesting for Minnesota than a couple of mid to late picks.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll