Forums/Armchair-GM

24-25

Created by: swinny
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2024
Published: Mar. 24, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The cap space has opened up a little, but not quite enough to do major surgery. What I think does get addressed here is stabilizing the blueline (a rather clear top 6), with a solid #7 and 8 that can be dressed changing the overall look of the blueline. Made a couple deals to fill in the forward corps - feeling it more cost effective than using the UFA route. And yes . . ... I am expecting backlash on Johansen, but he can play a defensive game.

Signings:

Carrier: a legit partner for Reilly who plays an all round game. Slightly undersized for what many may want, but he can chip in a 30 point season, block shots and has some bite to his game. Underrated imo. Cost effective option given the package.

Hakanpää: a whole ball of nasty that can play up the line up. Solid vet partner for Benoit, which forms a very very nasty bottom pair. See ability to energize and set tones as a pair. PK roll.

Benoit: yes folks. See above. He has earned the contract.

Dewar: solid 4th liner who can skate and create a forecheck with Gregor. Physical presence whose games isn't overly complicated.

Gregor: see above. Pretty much the same M.O.

Lagesson: stays with the team as the #8. Known commodity that played well. Leafs simply lacks blueline depth organizationally not to carry 8 D.

Side Notes:

1. Once again, I argue there is enough talent with the Marlies that they are the 13th forward. Minten, Cowan, Tverberg, Abruzesse, Steeves all act as call ups when injuries occur. Simply don't see a need to sign a 13th forward. I run the risk.

2. Johansen: oh I know I am getting roasted for it. But I maintain, $2 million for 1 season is worth the risk. All I want is a 30 point season and solid D play - which we should get. Given the guy is playing for a contract or should I say just staying I the NHL.... ya just might get a whole lot more. The guy should be motivated. Thought it necessary to further address one of the most controversial moves I ever proposed on CF.

3. Minten and Cowan are not here for a reason. That is reserved for 2025-26. They marinate for a year in the AHL, or as much as possible given what happens with the big club.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$1,500,000
2$2,750,000
2$900,000
2$850,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,750,000
2$2,000,000
2$3,550,000
2$875,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Johansen, Ryan ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
The Flyers would be happy to get a nominal asset here.

As for the Leafs, where I am sure many will question why.......

Johansen is still an above average defensive player, who is awefully good with draws. Where I see him coming in as a 3C allowing Minten a year to develop with the Marlies, there is enough offensive game here to think a trial as 2C is warrentes, moving JT to the wing.

The long and short is this: the Leafs need to make the most of what cap space the have. At $2 million, Johansen is a solid enough 3C option, but allows some real versatility in the lineup. Simply a cheaper option than what is in the UFA market.

I am.sure haters will hate.
PHI
  1. 2024 5th round pick (VAN)
TOR
  1. Colton, Ross
Additional Details:
Some Leafs fans will see an overpriced 3C.

I see a reasonably priced 2C, which moves JT to the wing. Creates centre depth. Adds and element of real grit to the position that is currently lacking. A 200 foot game, improving overall team defense. Solid with faceoffs.

Generally a 35-40 point player, can see an opportunity for more playing with Nylander and JT. The garbage guy in front of the net. A player with a clear cut defined role on that unit, no confusion on what that is.

There are UFA options..... but I feel that will be more in cap hit and term. Yes, Leafs give uo viable assets for what is a slight upgrade, but I see it being much easier managing cap
COL
  1. Kämpf, David
  2. Robertson, Nicholas [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Oh I can already feel the hate lol......

But what do the Avs get?

1. Cap relief. Essentially getting two very viable NHL forwards for the cap hitnif one. Let's sarts there.

2. Kämpf: an excellent defensive forward signed for the next 3 years. Has some offensive skill, but admittedly a small step back from Colton - 25-30 potential (twice) points vs 40. Great on the PK. Above 50% with faceoffs.

3. Robertson: yeah, quite polarizing amongst the CF crowd. But, tracking for around 40 points with sheltered minutes. Quick with compete in his game. Has had injury issues, but has remained healthy this season. Young, contract control. Extension given his sheltered minutes more than affordable. Solid top 9 forward with top 6 potential..... that has always been there.

Avs fans may not like this, Ihave read numerous threads where Colton isn't the guy they move.
$4 million for a 3C is pricey..... and the Avs are up against it. Many may see a deal for "spare parts". Don't see it that way at all. Both players are very serviceable, with their own skill sets. A sum is greater than the parts deal. Fills holes for the Avs without taking too much from the lineup.

Honestly, given the Avs options, this Colton maybe the least evasive option
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,569,667$0$0$130,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
RFA
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
RFA
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
UFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25 at 7:02 a.m.
Kampff sucks ass and is a cap dump. Don’t need Robertson, one of the easiest no’s ever. In case you missed it COL front office very rarely gets the short end of the stick in a trade and this is awful for COL and you know it.
Mar. 25 at 7:58 a.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
Kampff sucks ass and is a cap dump. Don’t need Robertson, one of the easiest no’s ever. In case you missed it COL front office very rarely gets the short end of the stick in a trade and this is awful for COL and you know it.

Avs have serious cap issues and you know it. And when I posted this as an Avs ACGM, all saw the logic behind the deal. May not have liked the targets, but the logic is sound.

Kämpf was pretty put up back to back close to 30 point campaigns (28 and 29 respectively if I remember correctly). Playing 15 minutes a game. Roberston playing sheltered minutes is close to a 40 point campaign. Colton is a 40 point player. Better than either player here, yes. But is it that far a step.back from.Colton? No.

Gonna be difficult for the Avs to male a cap move when 31 GMs know they need to make a cap move and get a win out of it. Best case scenario is Lando g 2 players that can fill rolls that come close to the cap hit.

You can disagree. That is fine. But there is your stark reality. Haters will hate
Mar. 25 at 8:01 a.m.
I think Flyers would accept that.
Mar. 25 at 8:11 a.m.
Quoting: swinny
Avs have serious cap issues and you know it. And when I posted this as an Avs ACGM, all saw the logic behind the deal. May not have liked the targets, but the logic is sound.

Kämpf was pretty put up back to back close to 30 point campaigns (28 and 29 respectively if I remember correctly). Playing 15 minutes a game. Roberston playing sheltered minutes is close to a 40 point campaign. Colton is a 40 point player. Better than either player here, yes. But is it that far a step.back from.Colton? No.

Gonna be difficult for the Avs to male a cap move when 31 GMs know they need to make a cap move and get a win out of it. Best case scenario is Lando g 2 players that can fill rolls that come close to the cap hit.

You can disagree. That is fine. But there is your stark reality. Haters will hate

Kampf sucks ass this bs trade nets COL less than $2M in cap space for almost 1/3rd of the production. Kampff is good defensively on what planet? He get destroyed in 5v5 shot share his xGD when on the ice is -11. Minus 11. Sure the Avs are right to the cap but it doesn’t mean they give away players. Did I mention Kampf sucks and you trying to say otherwise is pure spin, he sucks at defense his offense sucks for what he is being paid, and his contract sucks. He sucks. Nobody and I mean nobody is trading for him and giving up a real asset. COL could literally do any number of things if they need to move cap, but the one thing they won’t do is give guys away. Kampf (did I mention it already) sucks and where does Robertson play in COL? COL made the choice to build their bottom 6 around Colton and Wood, that hasn’t changed because you say they need to do TML a favor and take a guy who sucks (did I say that already?) who has an awful contract.
Mar. 25 at 9:46 a.m.
Quoting: Ujeje
I think Flyers would accept that.

Gotta think.
Mar. 25 at 2:33 p.m.
Kampf sucks ass this bs trade nets COL less than $2M in cap space for almost 1/3rd of the production. Kampff is good defensively on what planet? He get destroyed in 5v5 shot share his xGD when on the ice is -11. Minus 11. Sure the Avs are right to the cap but it doesn’t mean they give away players. Did I mention Kampf sucks and you trying to say otherwise is pure spin, he sucks at defense his offense sucks for what he is being paid, and his contract sucks. He sucks. Nobody and I mean nobody is trading for him and giving up a real asset. COL could literally do any number of things if they need to move cap, but the one thing they won’t do is give guys away. Kampf (did I mention it already) sucks and where does Robertson play in COL? COL made the choice to build their bottom 6 around Colton and Wood, that hasn’t changed because you say they need to do TML a favor and take a guy who sucks (did I say that already?) who has an awful contract.

Kämpf's season this year is a function of linemates.... Gregor and Reaves don't move needles. Wouldn't expect them too. Sheerly a defensive roll, with Reaves being a hindrance on that line and then some. Why else would the Leafs go get Dewar?

Now, if we go back to 2021-22, Kämpf regularly played with some solid linemates - Engvall and Mikeyev.... where he was a defensive conscience (not taking away from his linemates). Had positive offensive metrics for two years..... not over the moon, but positive.

Selling a 1 year snapshot of a player and claiming he sucks doesn't fly. I never claimed he was fantastic - but he is a very good defensive player, who can fill in as a 3C if needed. You can throw that -11 around, but when the guy starts 72% of his ice time in the defensive zone, not many players would do better.

He has had a bad year this year for sure. But he doesn't suck. Frankly I would be alright keeping him, but in this instance that simply won't work.

Not sure what you think the Avs get for Colton. Tampa gave him away for a 2nd last year, to the benefit of the Avs. Now the table has turned. Whether it is Colton, Manson, Lehkonen or Nichushkin (the latter two I would not move at all right now and Manson I think leaves a massive void on the blueline), you are getting less the market value.

As it sits right now, the Avs cannot ice a 20 man roster. So, spreading out $4 million among two players in the bottom 6 makes a tonne of sense.

You don't have to like the reality. I wouldn't. I am sure Bolt fans were just in love with a 2nd for Colton.
Mar. 25 at 8:17 p.m.
Kämpf's season this year is a function of linemates.... Gregor and Reaves don't move needles. Wouldn't expect them too. Sheerly a defensive roll, with Reaves being a hindrance on that line and then some. Why else would the Leafs go get Dewar?

Now, if we go back to 2021-22, Kämpf regularly played with some solid linemates - Engvall and Mikeyev.... where he was a defensive conscience (not taking away from his linemates). Had positive offensive metrics for two years..... not over the moon, but positive.

Selling a 1 year snapshot of a player and claiming he sucks doesn't fly. I never claimed he was fantastic - but he is a very good defensive player, who can fill in as a 3C if needed. You can throw that -11 around, but when the guy starts 72% of his ice time in the defensive zone, not many players would do better.

He has had a bad year this year for sure. But he doesn't suck. Frankly I would be alright keeping him, but in this instance that simply won't work.

Not sure what you think the Avs get for Colton. Tampa gave him away for a 2nd last year, to the benefit of the Avs. Now the table has turned. Whether it is Colton, Manson, Lehkonen or Nichushkin (the latter two I would not move at all right now and Manson I think leaves a massive void on the blueline), you are getting less the market value.

As it sits right now, the Avs cannot ice a 20 man roster. So, spreading out $4 million among two players in the bottom 6 makes a tonne of sense.

You don't have to like the reality. I wouldn't. I am sure Bolt fans were just in love with a 2nd for Colton.

Kampff sucks no matter how you try and spin it, I thought he sucked last year and thought TML was crazy to give him that contract. There is no way in hell COL trades Colton and takes back Kampff no way in hell it makes any sense it’s ridiculous that you’re even arguing it. I’m fully acknowledging COL might have to make a cap move, that all depends on Landeskog, but there is no way in hell they trade Colton for Kampff to get less than $2M in space when they can just trade him for futures and get $4M. Your position COL would do this is completely ludicrous. Oh and Kampff sucks.
Mar. 25 at 9:09 p.m.
Kampff sucks no matter how you try and spin it, I thought he sucked last year and thought TML was crazy to give him that contract. There is no way in hell COL trades Colton and takes back Kampff no way in hell it makes any sense it’s ridiculous that you’re even arguing it. I’m fully acknowledging COL might have to make a cap move, that all depends on Landeskog, but there is no way in hell they trade Colton for Kampff to get less than $2M in space when they can just trade him for futures and get $4M. Your position COL would do this is completely ludicrous. Oh and Kampff sucks.

You forgot Robertson sucks too. Thanks for the trolling. Oddly, when I posted this as an Avs ACGM, that discussion was actually far more civil than "Kämpf sucks". Constructive discussion

And since this is not a constructive discussion at all, I am bowing out.

I will agree to disagree. Said that once before. Clearly you cannot. That's OK.
Mar. 26 at 1:30 p.m.
You forgot Robertson sucks too. Thanks for the trolling. Oddly, when I posted this as an Avs ACGM, that discussion was actually far more civil than "Kämpf sucks". Constructive discussion

And since this is not a constructive discussion at all, I am bowing out.

I will agree to disagree. Said that once before. Clearly you cannot. That's OK.

Kampff sucks, you are bowing out because it is an idiotic trade from the Avs side. Run it down, the Avs make a trade because they need cap space. Ok they identify as Colton, trading him frees up $4M, and your suggestion is that they trade for a guy with equal term has produced a third as much and saves you $1.6M. That’s stupid. Oh but hey they will kick in Robertson a guy who can’t make the Leafs, so somehow COL who is just as deep on the wings and has their own version of him in Olausson is somehow going to convince them it’s in their best interest. You can’t tell me that COL wouldn’t be a thousand times better off just trading him for draft picks in this scenario. Come on tell me how any of this nonsense makes a bit of sense for COL and that’s before you even acknowledge Kampf sucks. Capital S, capital U, capital C, capital K, capital S. You seem to think he has value he doesn’t. He gets destroyed in shot metrics. He gets destroyed on ice results. And you somehow think it’s relevant what he two or more seasons ago. The problem is you can’t acknowledge how awful the idea is, can’t acknowledge how truly awful Kampf is but you want to whine about a trolling post. Gtfo
Mar. 26 at 9:37 p.m.
Kampff sucks, you are bowing out because it is an idiotic trade from the Avs side. Run it down, the Avs make a trade because they need cap space. Ok they identify as Colton, trading him frees up $4M, and your suggestion is that they trade for a guy with equal term has produced a third as much and saves you $1.6M. That’s stupid. Oh but hey they will kick in Robertson a guy who can’t make the Leafs, so somehow COL who is just as deep on the wings and has their own version of him in Olausson is somehow going to convince them it’s in their best interest. You can’t tell me that COL wouldn’t be a thousand times better off just trading him for draft picks in this scenario. Come on tell me how any of this nonsense makes a bit of sense for COL and that’s before you even acknowledge Kampf sucks. Capital S, capital U, capital C, capital K, capital S. You seem to think he has value he doesn’t. He gets destroyed in shot metrics. He gets destroyed on ice results. And you somehow think it’s relevant what he two or more seasons ago. The problem is you can’t acknowledge how awful the idea is, can’t acknowledge how truly awful Kampf is but you want to whine about a trolling post. Gtfo

And blocked.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll