Forums/Armchair-GM

Mock nothing major 2024 offseason

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 27, 2024
Published: Mar. 27, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No big career defining trades this offseason for Kent Hughes (no Zegras type deals). Sticks to the same steady plan. This thread is also going off the assumption that whoever the Habs select at the draft goes back to junior / NCAA, Europe, etc (Catton, Demidov, Helenius). Habs winning the draft lottery obviously changes the gameplan.

The Tyler Toffoli free agent signing only happens imo if one of Armia, Anderson, or Gallagher is traded (Armia being the easiest and most likely). An incentive for Toffoli returning to MTL is also giving him a full NMC, which is 100% reasonable in his case, I doubt he wants to get traded again lol

Lundell is the "Dach / Newhook" acquisition of this offseason. Barron being the "key" asset involved for MTL. It's realistic FLA would target a young cost-effective RD. Montour is due for a significant raise, and RD is already thin.

Harris for Cates is a trade I've done before. Cates has fallen down the depth chart in Philly, is great defensively, with a little offensive upside. Very costly for what he provides at $2.6mil aav, but cap isn't an issue for MTL. Harris is essentially a similar version of Cates but on defense. Has fallen down the depth chart, has great two-way D analytics, with a little offensive upside. Harris is a year younger and costs half as much. Feels like a low risk, win-win hockey trade to me.

Even after moving Barron, Harris, and Savard (none of them being waiver exempt) ...there's still a log jam on defense...... but at least in this case there's a lot of flexibility to move players back and forth from Laval (Struble, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux all still being waiver exempt). In the lineup I have below, I'd send Struble to Laval. but you could easily send both Hutson and Reinbacher to Laval and insert Struble and Kovacevic in the lineup.

If Cates or Lundell aren't acquired, and if Dvorak can get the "Chris Wideman" treatment. I'd also look a bringing back Monahan.

Habs let walk RFAs Ylonen, Andersson, and Norlinder.

Other offseason priorities would be signing Guhle and Slafkovsky to contract extensions. 4-5 year deals minimum, hopefully below $6mil aav, 7-8 year deals obviously could have a higher aav...

Lineup for the Laval Rocket:

Farrell - Gignac - Mesar
F.Xhekaj - Beck - Heineman
Davidson - Kapanen - Perreault
Tuch - Kidney - Simoneau
Condotta

Struble - Engstrom
Trudeau - Bisson
Galipeau - Depth AHL vet

Fowler
Dobes
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$925,000
3$950,000
3$950,000
2$775,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
4$3,900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Lundell, Anton [RFA Rights]
FLA
  1. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Additional assets added depending on competitive market for Lundell. Could be as high as adding WINs 2024 1st rd pick, or adding more depth prospects like Farrell, Kidney, etc.
PHI
  1. Harris, Jordan
Additional Details:
Depths picks (3rd rd picks or worst) can be added on either side. I think value is fairly close 1 for 1.
MTL
    For drafts picks. Essentially if DAL have issues re-signing Tanev and Hakanpaa, their RD will be thin. Savard is a good cost-effective alternative.
    MTL
    SJS
    1. Armia, Joel
    Additional Details:
    Traded similarly to how Hoffman was traded last season. As part of a brokerage trade.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$87,000,000$77,588,750$1,022,500$4,977,500$9,411,250
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 7
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA
    $835,000$835,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $890,000$890,000
    G
    RFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LD/RD
    RFA
    $875,000$875,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $812,500$812,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 27 at 12:22 p.m.
    There's just no fit at all for Harris in Philly. Funny enough, if the Flyers wanted to make a big splash this summer I could see Lundell being a guy they really make an effort to acquire (and based on where Philly is at and how big their needs currently are, I could see them paying a lot more than Barron+ to get him)
    Blazingbat11 and Ujeje liked this.
    Mar. 27 at 12:34 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: SpiderSpiderSpider28
    There's just no fit at all for Harris in Philly. Funny enough, if the Flyers wanted to make a big splash this summer I could see Lundell being a guy they really make an effort to acquire (and based on where Philly is at and how big their needs currently are, I could see them paying a lot more than Barron+ to get him)

Curious... what would your offer be for Lundell from PHI's perspective? I did write that depending on the market, Habs could go as high as adding WIN's 2024 1st rd pick and maybe even more. In another thread, another Habs fans suggested Evans being thrown into the deal, which makes sense with FLA being in "win now" mode. and Evans and Lundell's production this season are similar.

PHI and MTL definitely have a crap ton of assets to spend that could bump up the cost in a bidding war, that's for sure.
    Mar. 27 at 1:18 p.m.
    if they planned on moving savard, he woumd have been gone at the deadline where the value is the highest. Montréal wont put 3 rookie on their regular d-corp next year.
    Mar. 27 at 1:32 p.m.
    Demidov to MTL
    I think Philly would be more inclined to acquire one of our RHD (Barron or Kovacevic) rather than Harris. Philly already has Sanheim, York, Seeler and Zamula as LHD. However, I personally would much rather hold on to Barron because I still think he has 2nd pairing upside. I'd much rather do a Cates/Kovacevic swap but not sure how the value works there. I'd also avoid Lundell, if we're trading for a forward, I'd much rather go all in and trade for a young, legit top-six forward that's a safer bet than someone like Lundell, who's very boom or bust. Solid AGM though.
    Mar. 27 at 1:45 p.m.
    Quoting: Blazingbat11
    Curious... what would your offer be for Lundell from PHI's perspective? I did write that depending on the market, Habs could go as high as adding WIN's 2024 1st rd pick and maybe even more. In another thread, another Habs fans suggested Evans being thrown into the deal, which makes sense with FLA being in "win now" mode. and Evans and Lundell's production this season are similar.

PHI and MTL definitely have a crap ton of assets to spend that could bump up the cost in a bidding war, that's for sure.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/5016332

Made this largely thinking about this thread, obviously adding Knight muddies the waters a bit here but this is around what I'd be willing to do for him
    Blazingbat11 liked this.
    Mar. 27 at 1:47 p.m.

I don't know how much FLA wants picks right now, considering them being pretty much the "team to beat" and true contenders this and next season. But there could be FLA -24 1st or COL -25 1st on the table, if they want NHL-ready players, there is Laughton or Cates on forwards, Zamula (who's actually been really solid this season) cheap LHD option for their 3rd pair. Maybe build something of those pieces, if they'd be willing to trade Lundell.
    Mar. 27 at 1:59 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: drambui
    if they planned on moving savard, he woumd have been gone at the deadline where the value is the highest. Montréal wont put 3 rookie on their regular d-corp next year.

I don't believe MTL will try and move Savard this offseason either, but I think the market for cost effective RD will be much greater this off-season than at this past trade deadline. Guys like Tanev will go for $5+mil aav deals with the cap going up. And teams who miss out will see guys like Savard at $3.5mil aav as a more valuable commodity and might be willing to give the price Hughes is asking for.

MTL will have their 30 year old vet with Matheson. Guhle, Kovacevic and Xhekaj will be in their 3rd NHL season, Struble in his 2nd NHL season. I don't see an issue sprinkling in Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux throughout that lineup. And it's 100% realistic to see all of them at the same time at some point next season.
    Mar. 27 at 2:16 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: Cadyn
    I think Philly would be more inclined to acquire one of our RHD (Barron or Kovacevic) rather than Harris. Philly already has Sanheim, York, Seeler and Zamula as LHD. However, I personally would much rather hold on to Barron because I still think he has 2nd pairing upside. I'd much rather do a Cates/Kovacevic swap but not sure how the value works there. I'd also avoid Lundell, if we're trading for a forward, I'd much rather go all in and trade for a young, legit top-six forward that's a safer bet than someone like Lundell, who's very boom or bust. Solid AGM though.

I think overall, RD is just much more a valuable commodity. I don't doubt PHI could have interest in Barron, but if I'm MTL I'm asking for a better asset. I'd be ok with a Kovacevic swap for Cates too.

I think Sanheim is considered a left shooting RD. So their LD consists of York, Seeler, and Zamula. I could be wrong. But I don't think it's a stretch that they could still use Harris as a depth piece, considering Cates is a depth piece as well. (He plays on their 4th line). Which is why I think it's a logical swap. It's not entirely necessary, but teams overall make these little adjustment trades in the offseason.
    Mar. 27 at 2:18 p.m.
    On the Rod Meal Plan
    I imagine Lundell will have a similar acquisition cost as Newhook, that being a late 1st and mid 2nd. Is Barron's value around there? I don't know. Based on games played this year it looks like he hasn't cracked the lineup full time, was he injured and doing a conditioning stint in Laval?
    Mar. 27 at 2:20 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: Ujeje
    I don't know how much FLA wants picks right now, considering them being pretty much the "team to beat" and true contenders this and next season. But there could be FLA -24 1st or COL -25 1st on the table, if they want NHL-ready players, there is Laughton or Cates on forwards, Zamula (who's actually been really solid this season) cheap LHD option for their 3rd pair. Maybe build something of those pieces, if they'd be willing to trade Lundell.

If PHI offer Laughton for Lundell (not 1 for 1), I don't see MTL offering more. Philly would win that bidding war. Closest roster forward with value Habs would realistically throw in a Lundell deal is Evans, who has similar production to Lundell this season.
    Mar. 27 at 2:36 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
    I imagine Lundell will have a similar acquisition cost as Newhook, that being a late 1st and mid 2nd. Is Barron's value around there? I don't know. Based on games played this year it looks like he hasn't cracked the lineup full time, was he injured and doing a conditioning stint in Laval?

I'd say Barron is still worth his late 1st value. If that's biased from me, then him being worth a mid 2nd is more than fair. And I did write MTL could add WIN's 2024 1st, so Barron + late 1st would be spot on.

The reason Barron trades are popping up like daisy's on here lately, is simply that he's been surpassed on the depth chart by Reinbacher and Mailloux, and is currently playing below both of them in Laval. The main reason he's not on the Habs current roster is due to him being waiver exempt over guys like Harris and Kovacevic, and he hasn't been as consistent defensively as Xhekaj and Struble.
    Barron, offensively speaking, has very much proven he's a top 4 NHL dman... defensively he's been really inconsistent, which makes him a "work in progress". When he was playing in MTL, half the time he was paired with Matheson and looked like a legit puck moving top 4 D, the other half he looked completely lost in his own end and getting caved in.

I don't believe he's actually available, but with Reinbacher finally arriving in North America, and the emergence of Mailloux and his really good rookie season in Laval, Barron has become expendable in the eyes of Habs fans.
    Mar. 27 at 2:53 p.m.
    If PHI offer Laughton for Lundell (not 1 for 1), I don't see MTL offering more. Philly would win that bidding war. Closest roster forward with value Habs would realistically throw in a Lundell deal is Evans, who has similar production to Lundell this season.

I know they have been valuing Laughton 1st +, so don't know how much they would be willing to add for that. For me it seems good base for a trade for both. Flyers need center with more offensive upside while Panthers could use Laughton style player in their 3rd line. Laughton also has reasonable 3M cap hit for two years still so wouldn't hurt Panthers much. I also think Torts would like player like Lundell, he's responsible both ways.
    Blazingbat11 liked this.
    Mar. 27 at 9:09 p.m.
    I don't believe MTL will try and move Savard this offseason either, but I think the market for cost effective RD will be much greater this off-season than at this past trade deadline. Guys like Tanev will go for $5+mil aav deals with the cap going up. And teams who miss out will see guys like Savard at $3.5mil aav as a more valuable commodity and might be willing to give the price Hughes is asking for.

MTL will have their 30 year old vet with Matheson. Guhle, Kovacevic and Xhekaj will be in their 3rd NHL season, Struble in his 2nd NHL season. I don't see an issue sprinkling in Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux throughout that lineup. And it's 100% realistic to see all of them at the same time at some point next season.

maybe they get more for savard this offseason than at the deadline, but its not likely, 2 years os savard would be worth more than 1 year of him.

i think it possible to see all 3 of them, mostly when we are out of a playoffs game and its meaningless and we have injuries.

makes no sense to have 3 rookie on defense unless they force the hand of the Gms, which is not likely...

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll