Forums/Armchair-GM

Wings need a legit goalie

Created by: Spaceman
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2024
Published: Apr. 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Alex Lyon has played admirably this year. But he just isn't that horse who can play 50-60 games and not wear down. He's just worn out and last night showed it. Bring in a #1 guy like Markstrom and keep Lyon as the backup. Lyon is a solid #2 goalie but just can't handle the #1 workload.

And no, Cossa is not the answer next season for a #1. He realistically needs at least 1 more year in the AHL before coming up. Do not feed a young goalie to the wolves. The best thing to do would be bring in a guy like Markstrom who can be that #1 and Cossa be the #2 under his wing for two seasons, When Markstroms contract expires you hand the reigns over to Cossa. Augustine will likely be coming up as well and be Cossa's backup in the future.

My offer for Markstrom would be Fabbri, who's still only 28 and is always good for 15-20 goals per year, has had some health issues in the past but has stayed healthy the majority of this season. William Wallinder is a great LD prospect. Was the SHL young defensemen of the year his first season there and has played well in the AHL. But realistically there is only one spot for LD on the wings between Wallinder and Johansson and at this stage I give the slight edge to Johansson. over WW. But either could possibly work in the trade. Adding Husso on retained salary just to send a goalie the other way. Add a 2nd round pick (44th - 48th overall) depending on where Detroit finally ends up in the standings.
Trades
CGY
  1. Fabbri, Robby
  2. Husso, Ville ($2,375,000 retained)
  3. Wallinder, William
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (DET)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$82,362,640$0$4,200,000$1,137,360
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 12 at 1:08 p.m.
I wouldn't do it. Rather just run it back with Husso and upgrade the team defense first. Maybe sign another cheap option as a third option like we did this year.
Apr. 12 at 1:10 p.m.
Tank it baby
Detroit is so bad defensively that even good goalies will look bad.

Just ride it out and hope Husso bounces back somewhat next season. 😬
Apr. 12 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I wouldn't do it. Rather just run it back with Husso and upgrade the team defense first. Maybe sign another cheap option as a third option like we did this year.

Both Wallinder and Johansson are very good D prospects but realistically both don't have a future in Detroit. There will only be a spot on the LD side for one of them behind Walman and Edvinsson. So giving one up to improve the team in other areas isn't the worst idea. Fabbri can be replaced with Berggren next season. Crossing fingers and hoping Husso can do what he's proven he's unable to do isn't a good strategy for making the playoffs. A move like this, saying we're intent on making the playoffs next year, might entice Kane to stay which is needed. It's not a given he'll stay.

Lyon down the stretch just seems to give up at least one backbreaker each game. He's just tired. Every goalie, even the greats like Vasilevskiy gives up a stinker every now and then. But one every game when the playoffs are on the line just crushes your team. We need a better solution than do nothing and hope Husso bounces back.
Apr. 12 at 1:40 p.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: Spaceman
Both Wallinder and Johansson are very good D prospects but realistically both don't have a future in Detroit. There will only be a spot on the LD side for one of them behind Walman and Edvinsson. So giving one up to improve the team in other areas isn't the worst idea. Fabbri can be replaced with Berggren next season. Crossing fingers and hoping Husso can do what he's proven he's unable to do isn't a good strategy for making the playoffs. A move like this, saying we're intent on making the playoffs next year, might entice Kane to stay which is needed. It's not a given he'll stay.

Lyon down the stretch just seems to give up at least one backbreaker each game. He's just tired. Every goalie, even the greats like Vasilevskiy gives up a stinker every now and then. But one every game when the playoffs are on the line just crushes your team. We need a better solution than do nothing and hope Husso bounces back.

The plan should be for Husso and Lyon to split starts.

This way neither goalie gets burnt out.

Unfortunately a GM can't predict injuries.
Apr. 12 at 1:41 p.m.

I actually don't think Walman is part of the future, was weird as it sounds. He is 28 now, 30 when he needs a new deal. I think he eventually gets moved. Edvinsson I think is destined for that top pairing spot with Seider. Wallinder could very well be a second pairing option in two years. I would personally rather keep our younger options.
You get guys like Petry, Sprong, Gostisbehere off the team and replace them with more defense competent players, this team will be substantially better and give up less chances.
Personally I'm not pro on giving up the future for a small bit of success now.
Although I think Markstrom would be better than what we have now, I don't think it's significant enough unless we upgrade other areas.
Apr. 12 at 1:46 p.m.
Quoting: SharkTank
The plan should be for Husso and Lyon to split starts.

This way neither goalie gets burnt out.

Unfortunately a GM can't predict injuries.

I agree with this. Wouldn't hurt to have a third option if one can be had cheap enough. I didn't hate Reimer this year.

I don't think it would be awful if Cossa got time with the big club, even as a back up, I think it would benefit a bit.
Apr. 12 at 1:49 p.m.
Tank it baby
I agree with this. Wouldn't hurt to have a third option if one can be had cheap enough. I didn't hate Reimer this year.

I don't think it would be awful if Cossa got time with the big club, even as a back up, I think it would benefit a bit.

Cossa likely gets a Cup of coffee like Eddy has this season.

Reimer has looked good at times and awful.

I've never seen a goalie duck to avoid saving a puck like Reimer did on that Timmy Stutzle OT winner in Sweden. LOL
Apr. 12 at 1:54 p.m.

I've never seen a goalie duck to avoid saving a puck like Reimer did on that Timmy Stutzle OT winner in Sweden. LOL

Oh I remember that, hilarious but super sihtty
Apr. 12 at 2:13 p.m.
Calgary declines.

Flames don't need or want another goalie with an NHL contract coming back in a Markstrom trade. The main reason for trading Markstrom would be to make room for Wolf.

Pending UFA left shot winger Fabbri is of no interest. Conroy's plan involves getting younger and bigger, not older and smaller with a player type (left shot winger) we already have a big surplus of.

Wallinder is an ok prospect but nothing special Calgary already has plenty of defense prospects and players who are as good or better to compete for spots next year. If the Flames trade for a defenseman it'll be for a top 4 or a big mean hard hitting stay at home type. Wallinder is neither of those.
Apr. 12 at 2:19 p.m.
I actually don't think Walman is part of the future, was weird as it sounds. He is 28 now, 30 when he needs a new deal. I think he eventually gets moved. Edvinsson I think is destined for that top pairing spot with Seider. Wallinder could very well be a second pairing option in two years. I would personally rather keep our younger options.
You get guys like Petry, Sprong, Gostisbehere off the team and replace them with more defense competent players, this team will be substantially better and give up less chances.
Personally I'm not pro on giving up the future for a small bit of success now.
Although I think Markstrom would be better than what we have now, I don't think it's significant enough unless we upgrade other areas.

That does sound a bit weird to say Walman isn't part of the future. He is 28. It's not as if when he turns 30 he'll forget how to play hockey. I honestly see him staying in Detroit until he's 33-35. Another 5-7 years. He and Seider just fit so well together and the guy just brings a ton of energy to the team. Loved by teammates. But I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if they could do so for a legit top 6 forward of similar age. Edvinsson will likely be the LD to Sandin Pellikka and be a formidable tandem. Think of a Lidstrom Rafalski style pairing. Obviously Edvinsson is not Lidstrom, but you can get what I mean. Johansson or Wallinder will be great bottom pair LD guys in the future. But I like Johansson just a bit more at this point. There's also still Shai Buium playing very well in NCAA on the radar.

There's more benefit to Markstrom than just the improved goaltending he'll provide in the next couple years. He'd be an excellent mentor to Cossa when he arrives in the NHL. So in a way acquiring Markstrom would be an investment in the future of goaltending in my opinion.

Holl will be bought out this summer if he can't be traded or claimed off waivers. Ghost just won't be re-signed. Great on the PP but just sucks in his own end. Give his PP time to Walman, Edvinsson. Sandin Pellikka will QB the PP in the long term future. Petry, as much as it sucks, likely will stay and be the 7th D guy next season and will remain on the team for one more year then is gone as a FA. Sprong is a love hate relationship for me. Has games where he's buzzing but then games where you wonder if even touched the puck. But not a bad guy at his cap hit. Perron will likely be gone and his cap hit hopefully used to re-sign Kane for 1-2 years. His offense has been a welcome addition. Even at 35 and post hip surgery, he's still elite.
Apr. 12 at 2:20 p.m.

Reimer is a bum. I get why Steve signed him. You need 3 NHL goalies on the roster and options we're thin. he was the best of the worst available. But I'll be glad he's gone this summer.
Apr. 12 at 2:23 p.m.
Oh I remember that, hilarious but super sihtty

God I had blocked that from my memory...

If Detroit misses the playoffs by one point, you could say it's because Reimer suddenly was scared of the puck tears of joy
Apr. 12 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: MoxNix
Calgary declines.

Flames don't need or want another goalie with an NHL contract coming back in a Markstrom trade. The main reason for trading Markstrom would be to make room for Wolf.

Pending UFA left shot winger Fabbri is of no interest. Conroy's plan involves getting younger and bigger, not older and smaller with a player type (left shot winger) we already have a big surplus of.

Wallinder is an ok prospect but nothing special Calgary already has plenty of defense prospects and players who are as good or better to compete for spots next year. If the Flames trade for a defenseman it'll be for a top 4 or a big mean hard hitting stay at home type. Wallinder is neither of those.

No Problem. I can remove Husso from the deal. and just bury him in GR for one year. I thought it made sense for moving contracts purposes but not a dealbreaker to move him.
Wallinder is a pretty damn good prospect. Top 4 future potential. But you're not getting special prosects for a 34 year old goalie. Not from Detroit or anybody. A good B prospect like Wallinder or similar is about as good as it gets. He's 6'4" and a very mobile, relaible defender, good passer.
Fabbri could change. Swapped out for Joe Veleno. Younger and Center.
Apr. 12 at 2:45 p.m.
Edited Apr. 12 at 2:56 p.m.
No Problem. I can remove Husso from the deal. and just bury him in GR for one year. I thought it made sense for moving contracts purposes but not a dealbreaker to move him.
Wallinder is a pretty damn good prospect. Top 4 future potential. But you're not getting special prosects for a 34 year old goalie. Not from Detroit or anybody. A good B prospect like Wallinder or similar is about as good as it gets. He's 6'4" and a very mobile, relaible defender, good passer.

Not taking a goalie back is what Calgary would prefer. Taking on the last year of Husso's contract wouldn't be a dealbreaker if the rest of the offer was good enough but it isn't.

Wallinder is an ok prospect, Veleno would be acceptable too since he can play center and has a low RFA qualifying offer but neither player is what Calgary would consider as the main piece in a deal for Markstrom at this time. They don't need to move Markstrom for cap space so they'd just keep him to insulate Wolf and likely still get a decent return for Markstrom as a deadline rental in 2 years.
Apr. 12 at 4:18 p.m.
Tank it baby

CFACGM posters really underrate Wallinder in my opinion.

I think he's a stud but we won't know for a few years.

I also thought Brendan Smith was a stud many years ago. LOL

But he's still playing in the NHL! 🙂
Apr. 12 at 4:52 p.m.
Yes. Husso sucks. Ned sucked. It's weird how all these goalies we acquire are good before they come here, suck when they get here, and are good again when they leave.

... It's almost like the goalies aren't the problem.
Apr. 12 at 4:53 p.m.

If Wallinder turns out as good as Smith Detroit fans should be happy.

Detroit fans weren't happy with Smith because the expectations were way higher than they really should've been.
Apr. 12 at 5:07 p.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: RazorSeider53
If Wallinder turns out as good as Smith Detroit fans should be happy.

Detroit fans weren't happy with Smith because the expectations were way higher than they really should've been.

Yeah how dare fans have expectations on a first round draft pick.

Spoiled ****s! 🙄
Apr. 12 at 5:12 p.m.
Yeah how dare fans have expectations on a first round draft pick.

Spoiled ****s! 🙄

Yeah man! 27th OA regularly turns into Top line/Top pairing!
Apr. 12 at 5:58 p.m.

People were always quick to bash on Smith. He's a decent bottom pair NHL Dman. There's a reason he's still in the league in that role after 13 years. The problem for Smith was he had enormous shoes to fill. From 2008-2012 Detroit had arguably the best top 4 in the league with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall. When he showed up in 2013, only Kronwall was left and Smith had to fill that void left behind. Wings fans were used to being the kings of the NHL. He was nowhere capable of being that stud guy Wings fans were used to having and Wings fans crucified him for not being that guy.

But speaking of Smith, my favourite Smith memory is still Gustav Nyquist picking his pocket behind the net and feeding Abby in the slot for a goal. Then Smith swinging and missing the puck after the goal. Or him wanting to fight Chara but backing away scared the whole time. tears of joy
Apr. 12 at 6:17 p.m.
Tank it baby
People were always quick to bash on Smith. He's a decent bottom pair NHL Dman. There's a reason he's still in the league in that role after 13 years. The problem for Smith was he had enormous shoes to fill. From 2008-2012 Detroit had arguably the best top 4 in the league with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall. When he showed up in 2013, only Kronwall was left and Smith had to fill that void left behind. Wings fans were used to being the kings of the NHL. He was nowhere capable of being that stud guy Wings fans were used to having and Wings fans crucified him for not being that guy.

But speaking of Smith, my favourite Smith memory is still Gustav Nyquist picking his pocket behind the net and feeding Abby in the slot for a goal. Then Smith swinging and missing the puck after the goal. Or him wanting to fight Chara but backing away scared the whole time. tears of joy

Smith has lasted this long because he's tough and will stand up for his teammates.

I remember him basically handing the playoff series to Chicago in 2013.

He wanted to fight Chara and Big Z laughed at him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll