Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens 2425 Realistic But Improbable Fixes

Created by: Horny4Hornqvist
Team: 2024-25 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2024
Published: Apr. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Extend Sid. 8.7Mx2/3 dependent on how he feels. People expect him to ask for a raise, but I really do see Sid staying right at 8.7 again.

Extend Drew O’Connor, giving him the exact carbon copy of the Trevor Moore contract (4.2M/5) OR the Rusty contract from a few years ago, (3.5M/4 or 3).

Extend Eller. Exact same contract (2.45M/2). Guy can still play and doesn’t show much sign of slowing down his current pace, and I can’t picture him getting more on the open market in 2025.

Extend Pettersson. Somewhere right at/just above 5M a year for anywhere between 5-7 years. He’s a top-10 defensive defenseman in the game, he deserves to get paid what he’s owed.

Look, I don’t think you’d be able to trade all 3 of Smith, Rakell, AND Graves. I think you sell Graves (much less likely to trade him, but in the case we can) and Smith for cheap while not retaining, keep Rakell, as Bunting/Malkin/Rakell for a full year could be deadly.

I’ll start with the trades. Don’t think Smith will fetch more than a 6th round pick, he potentially could get a 4th as a return, but I think that might warrant retention, which the Penguins should avoid.

Now Graves is different. Albeit he had the weaker of the campaigns between he and Smith, he’s a big top-4 defenseman under 30, and he’s got term, all of the Coyotes defensemen are on expiring contracts, so they desperately need a stable contract in the back-end, hence why I think he could get a 2025 3rd from Arizona because in that same draft, ARZ has FOUR 2nd-round picks and two additional 3rds.

Time for Acciari. Love the guy. Ultimate competitor and elite penalty killer. But he’s got a cap hit that’s just a touch high and he’s been very weak offensively - he’s had some insane flashes of offense but he’s mostly been cold.

Okay, the re-signings/free agent signings:

Puustinen, Shea, St. Ivany and Joseph all get re-upped on short-term “thank you for your hard work thus far but we are looking for more from you but want to keep you around to prove us right so we spend more money on you later” extensions. A little skeptical about PO, if we do sign him, I think this is the last of his prove-it deals.

Josh Brown/Craig Smith: RHD with great size to take the bottom-6 role/create healthy competition with St. Ivany and Smith gets signed for the same reason, good role player to fill RW4 and create competitions with Nieto, Jesse.

Now, for the big ones. Firstly, 1) Monahan gets signed because, even though Winnipeg gave up a lot to get him and he’s been brilliant with them, I don’t think he re-signs. What we give him here is a win-now contract, and he’s versatile as our 3C or our LW1 or net front on the power play. Now, for what I think is the MOST important target for the Penguins, 2) Chandler Stephenson. Look, I know the guy turns 30 this year. I do not care. He is an absolute GAMER. Don’t think Vegas comes anywhere close to offering him the contract he’ll get in the open market, and I think this contract is the one that bags him. Now, 3) Brady Skjei. Similar position as Stephenson. I Dudes 30, but an incredible player. Both of their teams are poised to make huge runs, with both of them figuring to be huge parts of them. I think Carolina focuses on re-signing Jarvis, Pesce and *sigh* Guentzel. (I miss you, king.) This contract is what I think will get Skjei to say yes. He’d be a significant upgrade as Letangs d-partner.

Now for Ned. He has been great during this last stretch, but our #1 concern in our goaltending room since Fleury left has been in-season longevity and consistency, and BOTH Nedeljkovic and Jarry have had problems with these. I like them both. Let’s create healthy competition between them and create a true 1A/1B goaltending tandem that rivals (but ultimately pales in comparison) to Boston’s.

Look, these are all wishful thinking. But something this final stretch of 2023/2024 has shown me is that these Penguins, regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not this year, are much closer to contending than people think. Big moves just NEED to happen in order for that to be true. Start with moving out Smith/Graves. Follow suit with Stephenson/Skjei, build after them.

Let me know what you guys think! I truly think the trades/free agent signings/extensions are all very accurate. I’m curious to hear from others! Cheers and let’s go Pens!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
2$900,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$890,000
2$3,000,000
6$6,000,000
6$5,600,000
1$5,350,000
1$1,100,000
2$1,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2025 6th round pick (SJS)
PIT
  1. Walker, Nathan
  2. 2024 7th round pick (STL)
STL
  1. Acciari, Noel
  2. Ansons, Raivis
  3. 2024 6th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (ARI)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,500,000$86,354,342$0$0$1,145,658
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,600,000$5,600,000
C, LW
UFA
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
UFA
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
Taxi Squad
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 14 at 5:01 a.m.
please don't take my little australian from me
Apr. 14 at 7:34 a.m.
I'd much rather have Walker than Acciari, so no thanks. Ansons is also 'just a contract': I'd rather keep that contractspot open instead of using it for ECHL-filler.
Apr. 14 at 7:39 a.m.
SkateOrDie
So a bunch of really bad takes.

I mean really, they aren't trading Graves for a 3rd. Just because you and some other pens fans have your panties in a knot because "gasp" Graves isn't a 1LD.... I mean really what did you expect. He signed for 4.5 mil. He's an average 2LD on an average 2LD contract. He's played like an average 2LD too. Honestly maybe even a little better given how often he's been paired with Karlson and Letang. I mean really, that goal last night Karlson watching the puck go by....brilliant. Head really in the game in a must win... but you know...Graves.

But somehow MP is a "top 10 defenseman" ..... you must be nuts. This team doesn't have a legit 1LD, It's got 2 2LD. That's it. Neither one of those 2 is Dumo in his prime that's for sure, and he was the last legit 1LD they had. If the so called 1RDA and 1RDB can't stop making bonehead plays this team is never going anywhere.

Then we go on to the signing of old as dirt players like Smith.... why? What does this team need more over 30 players for? Especially on the 4th line.

then you go a crazy Monahan signing. Like he's going to sign a 1 year deal..... or that the penguins should actually bother getting stuck with that in any long term deal.

But my personal favorite is fixing the horrible 3rd pairing by over paying for 30 year old journeyman never played a full season Brown.

It's like you were making a post asking... "What would Hextall do?"
Apr. 14 at 8:35 a.m.
Don't see the blues doing this. Walker is cheap and provides a similar output
Apr. 14 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck

I mean really, they aren't trading Graves for a 3rd. Just because you and some other pens fans have your panties in a knot because "gasp" Graves isn't a 1LD.... I mean really what did you expect. He signed for 4.5 mil. He's an average 2LD on an average 2LD contract. He's played like an average 2LD too. Honestly maybe even a little better given how often he's been paired with Karlson and Letang. I mean really, that goal last night Karlson watching the puck go by....brilliant. Head really in the game in a must win... but you know...Graves.

But somehow MP is a "top 10 defenseman" ..... you must be nuts. This team doesn't have a legit 1LD, It's got 2 2LD. That's it. Neither one of those 2 is Dumo in his prime that's for sure, and he was the last legit 1LD they had. If the so called 1RDA and 1RDB can't stop making bonehead plays this team is never going anywhere.

Then we go on to the signing of old as dirt players like Smith.... why? What does this team need more over 30 players for? Especially on the 4th line.

then you go a crazy Monahan signing. Like he's going to sign a 1 year deal..... or that the penguins should actually bother getting stuck with that in any long term deal.

But my personal favorite is fixing the horrible 3rd pairing by over paying for 30 year old journeyman never played a full season Brown.

Jesus Christ bro! Did you not see the look these are all wishful thinking part?

Respond to stuff less pompously.

Do I think they can actually trade Graves? Probably not. But you can’t say he’s an average 2LD. His first year here has been well below expectations, as many thought he would finally make our defense core solid again, eating up big minutes, putting up around 30-35 points, and shutting down the opponents top line, and he barely mustered 13 or so points and consistently gets individually outplayed by the opponent, at times has zero confidence with the puck. The Penguins are DESPERATE man. We can’t really afford to see if this year will be a coin flip for him. I do see a world with a trade to specifically Arizona working because of their need for contracted defenseman and insANE surplus of picks in that draft, so who knows? Could be pushed back to a 6th? Wishful thinking? Like I said? In the post?

For Karlsson I’ll keep it nice and short. His offense hasn’t fully been there. His defensive mistakes have been huge. I’m not gonna crucify him, mainly because there’s no point, he’s here for 3 more years, so we need to figure it out.

As for Monahan: also wishful thinking. Things HAVE to go south for him not to re-sign in Winnipeg. Things HAVE to go well for us to convince him to come here, especially on a 1-year contract which, in my lost draft of this, I wrote if we need to up the AAV a bit and stretch the years out more to get him, I don’t have a problem with that.

Craig Smith and Josh Brown signings aren’t too crucial for me, smith is a good plug 4th liner and I’m not completely sold on St Ivany slotting in, hence Josh Brown. But please enlighten me on any other young available 4th line RW’s for cheap and you can get back to me. 4th lines/bottom pairings don’t need youth bro. They need forecheckers, frustraters. we’re not going to find a ****ing 24-year-old PK wizard who can chip in 10-15-25.

Pettersson?? Have you watched any games at all? He is without a doubt a top DEFENSIVE defenseman, and many in the hockey world agree. Thats a bonehead take from you my guy. Next.

All in all, man, it’s just a forum post. Here’s a more chill response you could have put together instead:

“Could you explain your thinking on Graves (lmao, which I actually did if you read the post)? It’s tough to see that trade working out!

Don’t think Pettersson is a 1LD, but that’s just me. Monahan I don’t see happening, at the very least at that term.

Don’t you think the 4RW and 3RD positions could be filled by other younger players? Don’t enjoy smith or Brown at those price tags.”

Have a nice day dude!

Apr. 14 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: Tennisman142
Don't see the blues doing this. Walker is cheap and provides a similar output

Honestly me neither for this trade specifically. A player like him in return isn’t too crazy of a stretch though, especially if the pens sweeten the deal with a later round pick and mid level prospect. Acciari at 2M is just silently killing the Pens.
Apr. 14 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: Beauterham
I'd much rather have Walker than Acciari, so no thanks. Ansons is also 'just a contract': I'd rather keep that contractspot open instead of using it for ECHL-filler.

Yeahhh, definitely threw Ansons in there blindly, maybe someone like Joona Koppanen would be better. But I don’t think a return for Acciari is too far off from Walker, probably someone a little less known could work.

What do you think if you’re making that trade?
Apr. 14 at 2:30 p.m.
double post
Apr. 14 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: Horny4Hornqvist
Yeahhh, definitely threw Ansons in there blindly, maybe someone like Joona Koppanen would be better. But I don’t think a return for Acciari is too far off from Walker, probably someone a little less known could work.

What do you think if you’re making that trade?

To be honest, qualitywise there isn't a lot of difference between Walker and Acciari, however financially there is. Walker makes league minimum for 2 more years while Acciari is overpayed at 2 million for 2 more years, here lies the difference. Koppanen also isn't a desirable asset, so we're still not making that trade.

I'm not totally against Acciari moving back to us, as it's unknown how and when Sundqvist will return from his ACL-injury and we could use a veteran plug. However, Acciari has some negative value IMO. You'll neet to add a decent pick or prospect/young player.

Walker on his own probably will cost a 4th/5th round pick. What about a 3rd for Walker and us taking on Acciari's contract?
Apr. 14 at 5:29 p.m.
Throw in another of your 1sts and SJ will take Smith and Rakell
Apr. 14 at 8:56 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Edited Apr. 14 at 9:02 p.m.

Do I think they can actually trade Graves? Probably not. But you can’t say he’s an average 2LD. His first year here has been well below expectations, as many thought he would finally make our defense core solid again, eating up big minutes, putting up around 30-35 points, and shutting down the opponents top line, and he barely mustered 13 or so points and consistently gets individually outplayed by the opponent, at times has zero confidence with the puck. The Penguins are DESPERATE man. We can’t really afford to see if this year will be a coin flip for him. I do see a world with a trade to specifically Arizona working because of their need for contracted defenseman and insANE surplus of picks in that draft, so who knows? Could be pushed back to a 6th? Wishful thinking? Like I said? In the post?

For Karlsson I’ll keep it nice and short. His offense hasn’t fully been there. His defensive mistakes have been huge. I’m not gonna crucify him, mainly because there’s no point, he’s here for 3 more years, so we need to figure it out.

As for Monahan: also wishful thinking. Things HAVE to go south for him not to re-sign in Winnipeg. Things HAVE to go well for us to convince him to come here, especially on a 1-year contract which, in my lost draft of this, I wrote if we need to up the AAV a bit and stretch the years out more to get him, I don’t have a problem with that.

Craig Smith and Josh Brown signings aren’t too crucial for me, smith is a good plug 4th liner and I’m not completely sold on St Ivany slotting in, hence Josh Brown. But please enlighten me on any other young available 4th line RW’s for cheap and you can get back to me. 4th lines/bottom pairings don’t need youth bro. They need forecheckers, frustraters. we’re not going to find a ****ing 24-year-old PK wizard who can chip in 10-15-25.

Pettersson?? Have you watched any games at all? He is without a doubt a top DEFENSIVE defenseman, and many in the hockey world agree. Thats a bonehead take from you my guy. Next.

All in all, man, it’s just a forum post. Here’s a more chill response you could have put together instead:

“Could you explain your thinking on Graves (lmao, which I actually did if you read the post)? It’s tough to see that trade working out!

Don’t think Pettersson is a 1LD, but that’s just me. Monahan I don’t see happening, at the very least at that term.

Don’t you think the 4RW and 3RD positions could be filled by other younger players? Don’t enjoy smith or Brown at those price tags.”

Have a nice day dude!

just look at the things you are saying here.
You want to say Petterson is a top 10 defenseman but then turn around and say he's not a 1LD. Well I hate to break it to you there are 10 actual 1LDs in the league so he's not a top 10 defenseman.
He's a solid 2LD, that's what he is. Don't sit around over hyping what he actually is. I unlike you have actually watched games, which is why I can tell you, he's not a top 10 defenseman. Lets be clear, being a top defenseman has nothing to do with points, it means being able to shut it down in your own end while not being a burden in the Ozone.

As for Graves, "not meeting expectations"...who's??? Did you read your expectations? Shut down other teams top line, produce 30 poitns.... I mean pretty much sounds like you wanted someone to come in and well be your 1LD....well he's not. Never was going to be. Nor was that ever the expectation which you should know because that's a 4.5 mil per contract not one over 6-7 mil.
You're incredibly lofty expectations for a guy who was never going to meet them, and the whole organization knew that when they signed him, based off the dollar figure, tells us all why you can't actually appreciate his actual value.
In 5v5 play. He got 58.5% of his starts in the Dzone. With a PDO of 99.7 aka average goal tending meaning the numbers are real and not lofty because of the goalie.
He pulled an almost 49% Corsi and 50% FW. Those are decent number for someone getting 58% of his starts on D. While being a +1 meaning he's not bleeding goals.
Now consider who he's getting those starts in the Dzone with. A 4th line that is of 0 help other than maybe Acciari, for most of the year. Basically AHL level replacement level wingers on that 4th line.
A 3rd line with guys like Jeff Carter on it.
I mean really. They clearly sent him out there to shut other teams down. It's clear from the 5v5 numbers he didn't do a bad job of it.
The guy let in 37 goals in 70 games 5v5. Compare that to Letang who is considered a 1RD. 69 goals in 80 games. Or Karlson. 67 in 80 games. Or even Petterson 65 in 80 games.
I'm not even going to get into the rest because they are AHL level defenseman.

As much as you hate on Graves, he's the one guy on the team who actually did a decent job of preventing goals from going in his own net. Even when he was burdened with bad defensive partners, lines that offered little help, and mediocre goal tending.

You want the guy to be something he isn't. He's never going to be a 1LD. He knows that, the organization knows that. But that doesn't mean he's not a decent LD. Finding one with size who can play decently is a hard thing to do.
But here is you, like every other clueless pens fan trying to run the guy out of PIT because he's not a 1LD that you think is magically coming to PIT (or any other team for that matter) on a 4.5 MIL contract.

Here is a clue, getting Dumo on an absolute steal of a contract at 25 because he only had 2 years under his belt and was still growing into the role as a 1LD, doesn't mean that's how easy it is to find a 1LD and what they are paid.

So stop tearing down a guy who's really done his job as good as you can expect someone to do on an average 2LD contract. Because of all the defensemen on the team. He's the one guy out there who is not coughing up a ton of goals. Even though the more the year went along they had to work him more and more in his own zone because MP wasn't able and the 3rd pairing has sucked all year long.

Anyone who actually played hockey knows this looking at the guy. He's done his job at his level. He's never been the problem. Maybe focus on giving him actual help, like Dzone players who aren't 39 years old and AHL level 3rd pairing guys to start in the Dzone because Letang and EK are horrible defensively.
Apr. 15 at 11:06 a.m.
Edited Apr. 15 at 11:46 a.m.
just look at the things you are saying here.
You want to say Petterson is a top 10 defenseman but then turn around and say he's not a 1LD. Well I hate to break it to you there are 10 actual 1LDs in the league so he's not a top 10 defenseman.
He's a solid 2LD, that's what he is. Don't sit around over hyping what he actually is. I unlike you have actually watched games, which is why I can tell you, he's not a top 10 defenseman. Lets be clear, being a top defenseman has nothing to do with points, it means being able to shut it down in your own end while not being a burden in the Ozone.

As for Graves, "not meeting expectations"...who's??? Did you read your expectations? Shut down other teams top line, produce 30 poitns.... I mean pretty much sounds like you wanted someone to come in and well be your 1LD....well he's not. Never was going to be. Nor was that ever the expectation which you should know because that's a 4.5 mil per contract not one over 6-7 mil.
You're incredibly lofty expectations for a guy who was never going to meet them, and the whole organization knew that when they signed him, based off the dollar figure, tells us all why you can't actually appreciate his actual value.
In 5v5 play. He got 58.5% of his starts in the Dzone. With a PDO of 99.7 aka average goal tending meaning the numbers are real and not lofty because of the goalie.
He pulled an almost 49% Corsi and 50% FW. Those are decent number for someone getting 58% of his starts on D. While being a +1 meaning he's not bleeding goals.
Now consider who he's getting those starts in the Dzone with. A 4th line that is of 0 help other than maybe Acciari, for most of the year. Basically AHL level replacement level wingers on that 4th line.
A 3rd line with guys like Jeff Carter on it.
I mean really. They clearly sent him out there to shut other teams down. It's clear from the 5v5 numbers he didn't do a bad job of it.
The guy let in 37 goals in 70 games 5v5. Compare that to Letang who is considered a 1RD. 69 goals in 80 games. Or Karlson. 67 in 80 games. Or even Petterson 65 in 80 games.
I'm not even going to get into the rest because they are AHL level defenseman.

As much as you hate on Graves, he's the one guy on the team who actually did a decent job of preventing goals from going in his own net. Even when he was burdened with bad defensive partners, lines that offered little help, and mediocre goal tending.

You want the guy to be something he isn't. He's never going to be a 1LD. He knows that, the organization knows that. But that doesn't mean he's not a decent LD. Finding one with size who can play decently is a hard thing to do.
But here is you, like every other clueless pens fan trying to run the guy out of PIT because he's not a 1LD that you think is magically coming to PIT (or any other team for that matter) on a 4.5 MIL contract.

Here is a clue, getting Dumo on an absolute steal of a contract at 25 because he only had 2 years under his belt and was still growing into the role as a 1LD, doesn't mean that's how easy it is to find a 1LD and what they are paid.

So stop tearing down a guy who's really done his job as good as you can expect someone to do on an average 2LD contract. Because of all the defensemen on the team. He's the one guy out there who is not coughing up a ton of goals. Even though the more the year went along they had to work him more and more in his own zone because MP wasn't able and the 3rd pairing has sucked all year long.

Anyone who actually played hockey knows this looking at the guy. He's done his job at his level. He's never been the problem. Maybe focus on giving him actual help, like Dzone players who aren't 39 years old and AHL level 3rd pairing guys to start in the Dzone because Letang and EK are horrible defensively.

Dude this has to be a Ryan Graves burner account haha. No way somebody is this clueless and delusional. Just spouting nothing but nonsense. And yet you have the audacity to be as arrogant as possible to other people. Straight troll - that's what you are. And yet act like you should be taken seriously. Unbelievable. These forums are for discussion - grow up and act like an adult. Stop with this lofty expectation 1LD nonsense that you just made up. It's not a coincidence the team went on a tear at the end of the season without him

Also, Pettersson is a legit 1D.
Apr. 15 at 11:10 a.m.
Edited Apr. 15 at 11:37 a.m.

Nobody had their panties in a knot because Graves isn't playing like a 1LD. You just make things up that other people didn't say and then try to use it against them haha. Embarrassing. We expected a good 2LD. He hasn't been that. Certainly not better than that. And he's been dragging Karlsson and Letang down with his poor play, not the opposite. It's not a coincedence the team went on a tear without him to end the season

Pettersson is a legit 1D. Grouping Pettersson and Graves together is just blasphemy. I've never seen someone go so far out of their way to defend someone that everybody agrees is having a bad season lol. Bad seasons happen, he can turn it around next year. But you can't be taken seriously if you can't say that Graves has had a bad season. Stop bringing up this 1LD expectation nonsense.
Apr. 15 at 11:29 a.m.

Have a nice day dude!

That guy just acts like he's the ultimate hockey authority super genius. He disagrees with everything - and does it arrogantly. Everything he says is correct and everything everybody else says is wrong. I've never seen a rational, level headed response from him. It's just "I'm right, you're wrong" combined with some insults

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll