Forums/Armchair-GM

Yzerman might actually be predictable this off-season

Created by: dca919
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2024
Published: Apr. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yzerman will move out 2 vet players as cap casualties to free up space to re-sign RFA and Kane while targeting a 1st/2nd line winger.

Fabbri has 2 years of term left @4M (and is an injury risk) so it will cost the Wings a mid-round pick (late 3rd). Maatta is a steady 3rd pair d-man that will chip in offense so he will get the Wings back a mid-round pick (early 4th/late 3rd).

Yzerman will target Marchessault (who will be a cap casualty in Vegas due to them signing Hanifin and getting Stone back from his ruptured spleen. If Robin Lehner declares his hip healed and ready to go after rehabbing from the Aug '22 surgery then Vegas could be having to buyout another contract as well.)

OR

Yzerman will target another UFA: Teravainen could use a change of scenery

OR

a 1st/ 2nd line winger in a trade for draft capital/prospects/ Berggren. Packaging an NHL player (Maatta or Fabbri) along with a top prospect, Berggren, and a 1st plus a following year's 2nd should be enough to acquire a winger. Then Yzerman would go after a Sprong-like veteran to fill.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$785,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
3$815,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$825,000
8$8,350,000
2$850,000
6$6,750,000
2$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
2$5,750,000
3$5,250,000
Trades
DET
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Trading for a 1 year rental while Travis Mitchell gets seasoning in the AHL.
NYI
  1. Määttä, Olli
Additional Details:
Sending out a viable 3rd pair NHL LHD for draft capital and cap relief (given Simon Edvinsson promotion to the NHL).
DET
    Plenty of cap space to take on a 1 year rental for a 3rd rounder while getting a viable NHL player that scores 15-20 goals (when healthy)
    SJS
    1. Fabbri, Robby
    2. 2025 3rd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    Cap space causality. Have an extra 3rd round pick that year.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$87,500,000$85,454,306$0$1,850,000$2,045,694

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    UFA
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    C
    RFA
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,350,000$8,350,000
    RD
    RFA
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $2,343,750$2,343,750
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    LD
    RFA
    $905,833$905,833
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $878,333$878,333
    LW, C
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 14 at 10:34 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    signing Kane for 2 years is just bad. He's 36 next year.
    Same could be said about the Marchessault contract but someone will sign him to probably more. I think he's one of those, it's his contract year, hook him up with the puck because he did the same for others type years. I predict he declines once he puts pen to paper.

The Seinder and Raymond contracts look like you are paying top dollar for RFAs. Even an overpay on Seinder. I think they will both be signed for less.
    Apr. 14 at 10:41 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    Marchessault is going to get quite a bit more than a 250k raise. That being said, it’s not guaranteed that he will be a cap casualty. Martinez is gone with the Hanifin signing, and one of Marchessault or Mantha will not be resigned, and more than likely Mantha is out the door. Raymond will very likely be asking for more, and maybe Seider as well.
    Apr. 14 at 10:44 p.m.
    Future Norris guy
    Edited Apr. 14 at 10:50 p.m.
    Shai Buium is a 3rd year college player, Therefore he can only sign a 2 year ELC not 3

Moritz Seider will get the Dylan Larkin deal, That's already been pretty much confirmed

Lucas Raymond > Matthew Boldy 7x7 deal. Raymond will come in at least at 7x7.5m

It's sounding like more and more that Patrick Kane will test free agency.

Detroit has zero interest in Jonathan Marchessessault.

Detroit isn't surrendering a 3rd round pick for one year of Robby Fabbri at $4,000,000 when healthy he's between a 30-40 point winger. We can just accept futures for him for a team that needs to reach the cap floor.

And Justin Holl is 100% a buyout candidate this summer.

And oh FYI, Mazur and Soderblom will spend another season in GR, Long before getting healthy scratched in Detroit.
    Apr. 14 at 10:51 p.m.
    Hell yeah man. $5.25M for another midget winger while rolling into next season with Petry and Holl as our 2RD and 3RD!
    MoSeider53 liked this.
    Apr. 14 at 11:00 p.m.
    Tank it baby
    Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
    Same could be said about the Marchessault contract but someone will sign him to probably more. I think he's one of those, it's his contract year, hook him up with the puck because he did the same for others type years. I predict he declines once he puts pen to paper.

The Seinder and Raymond contracts look like you are paying top dollar for RFAs. Even an overpay on Seinder. I think they will both be signed for less.

Who's Seinder? 🤔
    Apr. 14 at 11:03 p.m.
    isles say no, our LD is set
    Apr. 14 at 11:03 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Quoting: SharkTank
    Who's Seinder? 🤔

Seider can't even make a typo, tough crowd.
    I'm here all week!
    Apr. 14 at 11:04 p.m.
    Quoting: evelutions2
    Marchessault is going to get quite a bit more than a 250k raise. That being said, it’s not guaranteed that he will be a cap casualty. Martinez is gone with the Hanifin signing, and one of Marchessault or Mantha will not be resigned, and more than likely Mantha is out the door. Raymond will very likely be asking for more, and maybe Seider as well.

Vegas cap commitments next year 80.11M on 18 contracts (not counting Robin Lehner who very well could get himself declared as having recovered from the hip surgery in Aug '22).

Dorofeyev is 23 and arbitration eligible (he's already gone through his ELC and his next contract) so it's not going to be a minimum salary on 13 goals the previous year. Figure 1.75M - 2M contract. Lets go easy math and say 82.11M with 19 contracts.

Say you let some of the UFA forwards go and go the internal route....Brisson. His salary is above league minimum at 925k so still have a cap crunch. That's 83M for 20 players.

Now you want to sign at least one of Jonathan Marchessault, Anthony Mantha, or Chandler Stephenson. 87.5M cap and a team at 83M. Tell me again with actual numbers how you are not losing Marchessault and Mantha?

It's not one of them that's gone it's both unless you let Stephenson walk too.
    Apr. 14 at 11:04 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 14 at 11:10 p.m.
    Seider can't even make a typo, tough crowd.
    I'm here all week!

While you're here, you should look over some RFA contracts, because neither Seider's or Raymond's here is "Top dollar" or unreasonable. If anything, they're optimistically low.
    Apr. 14 at 11:07 p.m.
    Quoting: MoSeider53
    Shai Buium is a 3rd year college player, Therefore he can only sign a 2 year ELC not 3

Moritz Seider will get the Dylan Larkin deal, That's already been pretty much confirmed

Lucas Raymond > Matthew Boldy 7x7 deal. Raymond will come in at least at 7x7.5m

It's sounding like more and more that Patrick Kane will test free agency.

Detroit has zero interest in Jonathan Marchessessault.

Detroit isn't surrendering a 3rd round pick for one year of Robby Fabbri at $4,000,000 when healthy he's between a 30-40 point winger. We can just accept futures for him for a team that needs to reach the cap floor.

And Justin Holl is 100% a buyout candidate this summer.

And oh FYI, Mazur and Soderblom will spend another season in GR, Long before getting healthy scratched in Detroit.

One says too much for Seider and one says undervaluing...must be in the right ballpark then.
    Apr. 14 at 11:08 p.m.
    Quoting: RazorSeider53
    While you're hear, you should look over some RFA contracts, because neither Seider's or Raymond's here is "Top dollar" or unreasonable. If anything, they're optimistically low.

you meant "here"

Negotiations with Yzerman seem to turn out that way.
    Apr. 14 at 11:10 p.m.
    Future Norris guy

The only way Raymond and Seider take less is on a 3 year bridge, And I seriously doubt they take that. Both offers are fairly reasonable though I think they both get slightly more than this.
    Apr. 14 at 11:15 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    While you're hear, you should look over some RFA contracts, because neither Seider's or Raymond's here is "Top dollar" or unreasonable. If anything, they're optimistically low.

Nah 8.3 is too much. He's a good defenseman but not that good.
    I offer McAvoy and Sergachev as comparables. Both signed shorter 2nd contracts for 4.8-4.9 million.
    Both were clearly top defensemen at the time of signing.
    I don't see DET doing it any different. Cap has gone up a bit but I think it's reasonable to see 5-6 mil range on him on a 2 year deal.
    Then worry about signing the 8 year deal so he's wrapped up till 33.
    Apr. 14 at 11:20 p.m.
    Nah 8.3 is too much. He's a good defenseman but not that good.
    I offer McAvoy and Sergachev as comparables. Both signed shorter 2nd contracts for 4.8-4.9 million.
    Both were clearly top defensemen at the time of signing.
    I don't see DET doing it any different. Cap has gone up a bit but I think it's reasonable to see 5-6 mil range on him on a 2 year deal.
    Then worry about signing the 8 year deal so he's wrapped up till 33.

Two words: Cap Freeze
    Apr. 14 at 11:25 p.m.
    Same could be said about the Marchessault contract but someone will sign him to probably more. I think he's one of those, it's his contract year, hook him up with the puck because he did the same for others type years. I predict he declines once he puts pen to paper....

If you want to re-sign Kane (and all indications are they do) then he's going to want that 2nd year. A 36/37 year old playmaker known for his hands more than his feet isn't going to be the issue you think (and while he may have lost a step it hasn't looked to me that he is skating on 1 leg like when in NY). Add in the locker room presence and by all indications is that it is good and you have a recipe for fit. Especially since they can sign the 35+ contract loaded with incentives to push a cap crunch forward with a rising cap. I can't think of a team that puts him at the 1st line RW position--so the role he plays here is what he'll get elsewhere. And like it or not--LCA being a newer facility that was built with top of the line training/recovery in mind actually helps the cause to re-sign. The thing to worry about is the team that throws him the 1 year use the rest of our cap to get him offer.

If you lose him than you might as well set the rebuild back to last summer when the team was expected to finish behind Ottawa and Buffalo.
    Apr. 14 at 11:38 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Quoting: dca919
    If you want to re-sign Kane (and all indications are they do) then he's going to want that 2nd year. A 36/37 year old playmaker known for his hands more than his feet isn't going to be the issue you think (and while he may have lost a step it hasn't looked to me that he is skating on 1 leg like when in NY). Add in the locker room presence and by all indications is that it is good and you have a recipe for fit. Especially since they can sign the 35+ contract loaded with incentives to push a cap crunch forward with a rising cap. I can't think of a team that puts him at the 1st line RW position--so the role he plays here is what he'll get elsewhere. And like it or not--LCA being a newer facility that was built with top of the line training/recovery in mind actually helps the cause to re-sign. The thing to worry about is the team that throws him the 1 year use the rest of our cap to get him offer.

If you lose him than you might as well set the rebuild back to last summer when the team was expected to finish behind Ottawa and Buffalo.

If you thing losing Kane "sets the rebuild back" then you don't understand a rebuild.
    He's not a long term solution. He's 36 with bad hips who has slowed. As much as you think that doesn't matter it does.
    I get resigning him to a 1 year deal, there is no need to add term here. If someone else wants to do that let them. Don't make the Jeff Carter Mistake and get roped in on term with an aging guy.
    It's not like DET has an obligation to finish his career like PIT does to say Crosby or Malkin.

Kane provides a little bump on offense. But he's getting older and you still aren't having to see him play 82 games and then playoffs. You don't really know what you are getting in an aging player after hip surgery. While it's possible he could play like Joe Pav. it's also just as likely he's on the same path as Toews.
    It doesn't help guys don't last long after the surgery he had. Look at Hall. He went down down down.....
    Apr. 14 at 11:41 p.m.
    SkateOrDie
    Two words: Cap Freeze

cap freeze or not, it's the same principle.
    He'll get more than those two got, because the cap has gone up, but he's probably getting less than the 8.3 they have here and probably shorter term as that's best for the team in the long run.
    Better to get the long term deal in as the player is 25 not 23.
    Apr. 14 at 11:54 p.m.
    cap freeze or not, it's the same principle.
    He'll get more than those two got, because the cap has gone up, but he's probably getting less than the 8.3 they have here and probably shorter term as that's best for the team in the long run.
    Better to get the long term deal in as the player is 25 not 23.

You don't seem to get why the cap freeze was brought up...

It's better to pay him $8.5M x 8 now than to give him a bridge and have to pay him $11.5M x 8 in two years when the cap is up around $96M+.
    Apr. 15 at 12:01 a.m.
    If you thing losing Kane "sets the rebuild back" then you don't understand a rebuild.
    He's not a long term solution. He's 36 with bad hips who has slowed. As much as you think that doesn't matter it does.
    I get resigning him to a 1 year deal, there is no need to add term here. If someone else wants to do that let them. Don't make the Jeff Carter Mistake and get roped in on term with an aging guy.
    It's not like DET has an obligation to finish his career like PIT does to say Crosby or Malkin.

Kane provides a little bump on offense. But he's getting older and you still aren't having to see him play 82 games and then playoffs. You don't really know what you are getting in an aging player after hip surgery. While it's possible he could play like Joe Pav. it's also just as likely he's on the same path as Toews.
    It doesn't help guys don't last long after the surgery he had. Look at Hall. He went down down down.....

Kane provides a little bump on offense
    ....well that little bump on offense was worth 7 GWG's with 3 in OT. For a rebuild the 1st step is to reach the playoffs. Having a player that can win or plainly set up Larkin in OT on a shot pass against the Leafs when every point matters is actually critical to the long term success of a rebuild as it allows the younger players to play in games that matter and playoff games (hopefully as soon as this season). So you are wrong there about Kane's importance to a rebuild in the long term as you are skipping the building part of having 1st round playoff exits where young guys see action.

And please tell me more about a roster construction in a rebuild based on getting the #4 and two #6 picks ...now add in the fact that Larkin is going to be exiting his prime years soon-- so unless you can get that #1 centre in free agency (where they almost never make it--unless they are in decline in their mid 30's); you'd better have that rebuild on a path towards competitiveness sooner than later. That's what you are not getting.
    Apr. 15 at 12:04 a.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    Vegas cap commitments next year 80.11M on 18 contracts (not counting Robin Lehner who very well could get himself declared as having recovered from the hip surgery in Aug '22).

Dorofeyev is 23 and arbitration eligible (he's already gone through his ELC and his next contract) so it's not going to be a minimum salary on 13 goals the previous year. Figure 1.75M - 2M contract. Lets go easy math and say 82.11M with 19 contracts.

Say you let some of the UFA forwards go and go the internal route....Brisson. His salary is above league minimum at 925k so still have a cap crunch. That's 83M for 20 players.

Now you want to sign at least one of Jonathan Marchessault, Anthony Mantha, or Chandler Stephenson. 87.5M cap and a team at 83M. Tell me again with actual numbers how you are not losing Marchessault and Mantha?

It's not one of them that's gone it's both unless you let Stephenson walk too.

I was implying that Vegas was going to let Stephenson walk. Especially with the Hertl acquisition, Stephenson is a luxury they can’t afford.
    Apr. 15 at 12:08 a.m.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around adding yet another small winger to our collection while doing nothing about our abysmal RHD.
    Apr. 15 at 12:23 a.m.
    Quoting: evelutions2
    I was implying that Vegas was going to let Stephenson walk. Especially with the Hertl acquisition, Stephenson is a luxury they can’t afford.

you might get Marchessault then (by blowing the remaining cap space), and you will have lost the 2nd line depth that makes Vegas good--esp since the LW'ers on the 3rd and 4th line are no where near as good so you can't simply move them up.

Which will become a real problem when Robin Lehner (surgery in Aug '22) is declared by a doctor as good to go again. Might have been able to keep him out in '23-24, but do you really think he's going to go along with the team's plan when he's set to become an UFA the following year and needs to prove that he can still play to keep collecting those million dollar paychecks? Vegas might want his career to be over, but that's not what Lehner wants and is training for.

In case you didn't know:

Lehner declared bankruptcy in December '22 after investments such as a reptile farm did not pan out. Lehner claimed just over $5 million in assets but over $27 million in liabilities. In April, he was also sued by multiple creditors for fraud. So he actually needs the income and can't simply sail off into an early retirement.
    Apr. 15 at 12:24 a.m.
    SkateOrDie
    ....well that little bump on offense was worth 7 GWG's with 3 in OT. For a rebuild the 1st step is to reach the playoffs. Having a player that can win or plainly set up Larkin in OT on a shot pass against the Leafs when every point matters is actually critical to the long term success of a rebuild as it allows the younger players to play in games that matter and playoff games (hopefully as soon as this season). So you are wrong there about Kane's importance to a rebuild in the long term as you are skipping the building part of having 1st round playoff exits where young guys see action.

And please tell me more about a roster construction in a rebuild based on getting the #4 and two #6 picks ...now add in the fact that Larkin is going to be exiting his prime years soon-- so unless you can get that #1 centre in free agency (where they almost never make it--unless they are in decline in their mid 30's); you'd better have that rebuild on a path towards competitiveness sooner than later. That's what you are not getting.

for a rebuilding team bringing in patch work fixes to make a team that isn't very good better without actually fixing the underlying problems isn't helping.
    Which is the whole point. DET isn't in a win now mode. They don't need to wrap themselves in a bad contract for nothing.

You don't seem to get why the cap freeze was brought up...

It's better to pay him $8.5M x 8 now than to give him a bridge and have to pay him $11.5M x 8 in two years when the cap is up around $96M+.

A. you don't know that, you are dealing with a young player it may go up or down. It wouldn't be the first time. It's why teams like bridge deals, it gives you more of a history of what you are getting to reduce risk.
    B. you are always going to have to balance the actual cost to the team. You think it will cost more in 2 years. Probably not 11.5M which seem very high, he's not Makar, having said that, any cost you give up you are also adding 2 years of control when a player is still playing at a relatively high level at 31 and 32 years old. Instead of the contract ending at 31 and then having to deal with FA and the contract costs after. Because at 31 he's probably demanding a 6 year deal and you got a guy to 37 and who knows how that goes. Where at 33 he's not asking for 6 years and you probably get a more reasonable deal if there is anything left in the tank. Teams just don't make deals on the cap hit. They are trying to get max value out of an asset. To have control to 33 instead of 31 is probably worth the cap cost difference on what it would be. Especially given the savings earlier. Maybe it cost you 9 per later. Fine. But you saved 4 of the 8 and you got 2 more years.... That's not bad math.
    Apr. 15 at 12:31 a.m.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around adding yet another small winger to our collection while doing nothing about our abysmal RHD.

It's called a hard cap and NTC's. Unless you are willing to send those players elsewhere with draft capital or top prospects to the limited number of teams which aren't in their NTC listing then they aren't going anywhere.

As far as signing a 5'9" guy that CAN score 40. I am sure every GM in the league is like no I am not interested in acquiring a potential 40 goal scorer that will cost nothing beyond the dollars for a contract because he is 5'9" or 5'10". I mean trade call comes for Kirill Kaprizov (5'10"), Brayden Point (5'10") , Jesper Bratt (5'10") ......why, pass of course!....they are just too small.
    Apr. 15 at 12:31 a.m.
    for a rebuilding team bringing in patch work fixes to make a team that isn't very good better without actually fixing the underlying problems isn't helping.
    Which is the whole point. DET isn't in a win now mode. They don't need to wrap themselves in a bad contract for nothing.

A. you don't know that, you are dealing with a young player it may go up or down. It wouldn't be the first time. It's why teams like bridge deals, it gives you more of a history of what you are getting to reduce risk.
    B. you are always going to have to balance the actual cost to the team. You think it will cost more in 2 years. Probably not 11.5M which seem very high, he's not Makar, having said that, any cost you give up you are also adding 2 years of control when a player is still playing at a relatively high level at 31 and 32 years old. Instead of the contract ending at 31 and then having to deal with FA and the contract costs after. Because at 31 he's probably demanding a 6 year deal and you got a guy to 37 and who knows how that goes. Where at 33 he's not asking for 6 years and you probably get a more reasonable deal if there is anything left in the tank. Teams just don't make deals on the cap hit. They are trying to get max value out of an asset. To have control to 33 instead of 31 is probably worth the cap cost difference on what it would be. Especially given the savings earlier. Maybe it cost you 9 per later. Fine. But you saved 4 of the 8 and you got 2 more years.... That's not bad math.

Do enlighten me when the last time was that the cap went down...

Also, $11.5M under at $96.6M cap is not "Makar money". It's actually McAvoy money, which was your comparison...

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll