RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 21 at 3:45 p.m.
If the Leafs lose round 1 they keep Matthews, Rielly, Nylander, Knies, McCabe, Benoit, McMann, Woll, and get rid of the rest.
Apr. 21 at 4:25 p.m.
If they lose again I think Shanahan is as good as gone and Keefe will have the shortest of leashes to start 24-25
Apr. 21 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: KingExLeafs
If the Leafs lose round 1 they keep Matthews, Rielly, Nylander, Knies, McCabe, Benoit, McMann, Woll, and get rid of the rest.

No they won’t. Tell me one time in NHL history when a team overhauled 70% of their roster in one off-season.. it never happens and that’s quite a big overreaction.
Apr. 21 at 4:35 p.m.
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
If they lose again I think Shanahan is as good as gone and Keefe will have the shortest of leashes to start 24-25

Shanahan has ownership’s ears in the grasps of his hand. Even with Keith Pelley coming in as new CEO they’ve made it clear it’s Shanahan’s department to run the NHL team. Barring any massive change in that, Shanahan will likely have at least next year to improve them team and that gives Pelley more time to evaluate him before he makes any changes.

& unfortunately when they lose in the first round this year, Keefe is likely gone. I don’t think coaching is the problem - I think the issue is the roster isn’t good enough and the core doesn’t have what it takes. It’s a personality issue with the core that Shanahan refuses to change. Treliving can’t do much about it because he answers to Shanny and that’s who’s making the decisions (the GM takes the fall for it, it was the same way with Dubas). Treliving was brought in to do some heavy lifting but that likely doesn’t happen till Tavares’ contract comes off then books. So it’ll be a couple years before a massive roster shake up
Apr. 21 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_92
Shanahan has ownership’s ears in the grasps of his hand. Even with Keith Pelley coming in as new CEO they’ve made it clear it’s Shanahan’s department to run the NHL team. Barring any massive change in that, Shanahan will likely have at least next year to improve them team and that gives Pelley more time to evaluate him before he makes any changes.

& unfortunately when they lose in the first round this year, Keefe is likely gone. I don’t think coaching is the problem - I think the issue is the roster isn’t good enough and the core doesn’t have what it takes. It’s a personality issue with the core that Shanahan refuses to change. Treliving can’t do much about it because he answers to Shanny and that’s who’s making the decisions (the GM takes the fall for it, it was the same way with Dubas). Treliving was brought in to do some heavy lifting but that likely doesn’t happen till Tavares’ contract comes off then books. So it’ll be a couple years before a massive roster shake up

That's what I don't get.

Why have a GM if he doesn't have full authority over hockey personnel?

And I agree with you the core does not have what it takes. Marner should go this summer. There are great pending UFA forwards that could take his place on the roster and the Leafs could use his departure to upgrade the defense which still needs big time help.

Marner to Seattle makes a ton of sense IMO
Apr. 21 at 4:54 p.m.
That's what I don't get.

And I agree with you the core does not have what it takes. Marner should go this summer. There are great pending UFA forwards that could take his place on the roster and the Leafs could use his departure to upgrade the defense which still needs big time help.

A lot of teams are fun that way - the GM is the fall guy but the president is the guy running the show. Vancouver is the same way with Rutherford and Allvin, and Pittsburgh will be the same way when Dubas hires a GM.. just the way the league is.

The core needs to be rebuilt. Marner was a completely different player in junior where he had everything you wanted in a leader in a playoff run, in the NHL it’s almost like he’s scared. I wish he would give Marchand what he wanted from the regular season and drop the gloves with him, at least it would show some fight in him.

Matthews is honestly too arrogant to be a leader of a cup winner. Not calling him selfish, but he cares too much about how personal rewards than team ones and everything seems to revolve around him. The team just kept feeding him the puck to score 70 goals this year and it was the same when he scored 60 the first time. Even before last season he was asked who he thought would lead the league in goals and he jokingly said the didn’t wanna answer it when it reality he wanted to be the guy to lead the league. Most guys aren’t like that, they’ll at least be humble enough to name someone else and then go about their business quietly but Matthews has that arrogance to him.

Willy just doesn’t compete consistently. God there’s sometimes where I wanna strangle the guy for the defensive effort after a turnover. When he actually tries he’s a beast - he’ll battle and he’s extremely hard to knock off the puck and he’ll win puck battles but it was only consistent when he was in contract extension talks and he was trying to up his value.

Tavares has been fine and worth every penny of his contract. Everyone knew the last year or two would be rough but honestly he’s still been worth it. The point may be lower but he’s still elite in the faceoff circle and he’s a leader. He needs to be a bit more vocal and harder on guys in my preference but that’s just not his personality.

Rielly is too loyal for his own good. He grew up a Leafs fans and has stuck with the team through the mud and he’s treated like crap when things go bad. But man he’s a die hard guy. Shoulda asked for a trade years ago to get outta this tire fire but he stuck it out, if they could actually find him a partner the league would see what he’s made of. He consistently makes his partners better but when they aren’t good skating partners it really shows.

Honestly I said this before but the best thing that can happen for Toronto is to be swept by Boston. Maybe it would send the wake up call they need to really shake things up. Even Tampa had their wake up call before they won, Toronto definitely needs it.
Apr. 21 at 4:55 p.m.
That's what I don't get.

I’ve also said Marner to Seattle has mad sense for a year and a half now. Just depends if Seattle wants to contend or start to guild a youth movement
Apr. 21 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_92
A lot of teams are fun that way - the GM is the fall guy but the president is the guy running the show. Vancouver is the same way with Rutherford and Allvin, and Pittsburgh will be the same way when Dubas hires a GM.. just the way the league is.

The core needs to be rebuilt. Marner was a completely different player in junior where he had everything you wanted in a leader in a playoff run, in the NHL it’s almost like he’s scared. I wish he would give Marchand what he wanted from the regular season and drop the gloves with him, at least it would show some fight in him.

Matthews is honestly too arrogant to be a leader of a cup winner. Not calling him selfish, but he cares too much about how personal rewards than team ones and everything seems to revolve around him. The team just kept feeding him the puck to score 70 goals this year and it was the same when he scored 60 the first time. Even before last season he was asked who he thought would lead the league in goals and he jokingly said the didn’t wanna answer it when it reality he wanted to be the guy to lead the league. Most guys aren’t like that, they’ll at least be humble enough to name someone else and then go about their business quietly but Matthews has that arrogance to him.

Willy just doesn’t compete consistently. God there’s sometimes where I wanna strangle the guy for the defensive effort after a turnover. When he actually tries he’s a beast - he’ll battle and he’s extremely hard to knock off the puck and he’ll win puck battles but it was only consistent when he was in contract extension talks and he was trying to up his value.

Tavares has been fine and worth every penny of his contract. Everyone knew the last year or two would be rough but honestly he’s still been worth it. The point may be lower but he’s still elite in the faceoff circle and he’s a leader. He needs to be a bit more vocal and harder on guys in my preference but that’s just not his personality.

Rielly is too loyal for his own good. He grew up a Leafs fans and has stuck with the team through the mud and he’s treated like crap when things go bad. But man he’s a die hard guy. Shoulda asked for a trade years ago to get outta this tire fire but he stuck it out, if they could actually find him a partner the league would see what he’s made of. He consistently makes his partners better but when they aren’t good skating partners it really shows.

Honestly I said this before but the best thing that can happen for Toronto is to be swept by Boston. Maybe it would send the wake up call they need to really shake things up. Even Tampa had their wake up call before they won, Toronto definitely needs it.

I'll be posting an AGM soon, tell me what you think about the ideas. The trades and contracts might need a little changing, but the main thing here is the ideas

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll