My Radical Trade Proposal To The Leafs

Created by: edeangel84
Team: 2024-25 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: May 7, 2024
Published: May 7, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My notes about this trade are broken down below for each teach:

Pens: I DO NOT WANT TO TRADE YAGER... unless it was for something this unique. Losing Pettersson, Yager, and the 2nd this year is no small price to pay but Marner is not the kind of player you can just acquire cheaply. There is no way to move Rakell and Smith unless we take back some serious cap. And the only player as a UFA who is remotely comparable to Marner is Reinhart and he is coming off a career year that is outside his norm.

Leafs: If the Leafs really want a change they need to move one of their core players and as most Leafs fans know Marner is really the best and only option. JT would never agree to waive and teams are not going to want him. Rielly has a lot of term left and with the D being the biggest hole, trading him would be of no benefit. Pettersson takes care of a big need for you. Smith at 2.5 for one season is not a bad addition, especially when you are losing 3 years of Kampf's cap hit. Yager should be NHL ready in 2 seasons and he is a pretty good prospect to get in any trade. Rakell is by no means anywhere remotely close to a Marner replacement, but he does fill in a hole at RW after the deal and his 5 million cap hit won't be that bad as the cap goes up.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
2$1,150,000
3$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,350,000
3$3,250,000
4$2,250,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Pettersson, Marcus
  2. Rakell, Rickard
  3. Smith, Reilly ($2,500,000 retained)
  4. Yager, Brayden [Reserve List]
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Notes about the trade are in the description
PIT
SJS
  1. Acciari, Noel
Additional Details:
Waivers
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$87,207,167$0$0$492,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C
UFA
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
RFA
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 7 at 9:14 p.m.
Even with an extension, there is absolutely no chance I’m giving all of that up for Mitch Marner. No chance in hell.
May 7 at 9:19 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: JuanDamienNebraska
Even with an extension, there is absolutely no chance I’m giving all of that up for Mitch Marner. No chance in hell.

As lackluster as his postseasons have been... he has 50 points in 57 career playoff games. He also plays for one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league (in terms of MLSE as owners and the Toronto media being a cancer). He does not have to be a leader in this team, he just has to play on a line with one of the best ever players and leaders.
yikes and dh91 liked this.
May 7 at 9:24 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK

Quoting: edeangel84
As lackluster as his postseasons have been... he has 50 points in 57 career playoff games. He also plays for one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league (in terms of MLSE as owners and the Toronto media being a cancer). He does not have to be a leader in this team, he just has to play on a line with one of the best ever players and leaders.

The thing Toronto fans are most worried about is not winning a Marner trade - it’s that because it’s Toronto; once he’s traded he’ll go on an all time bender / win a cup. In the same conference no less.
May 7 at 9:31 p.m.
I've been interested in targeting OEL this offseason, but I don't think replacing Pettersson with him is going to result in a defense that's good enough. Marner is an impact player for sure, but I think the Pens' bottom 6 and defensive flaws need to be addressed, which Marner makes much harder. In this case the bottom 6 isn't better and the defense is worse. And it cost us our top prospect to do it.
May 7 at 9:43 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: Haymaker26
I've been interested in targeting OEL this offseason, but I don't think replacing Pettersson with him is going to result in a defense that's good enough. Marner is an impact player for sure, but I think the Pens' bottom 6 and defensive flaws need to be addressed, which Marner makes much harder. In this case the bottom 6 isn't better and the defense is worse. And it cost us our top prospect to do it.

There is no replacing MP and I admit the defense is clearly worse. I do not think the bottom six is worse though. Trenin is an upgrade over Smith at this point and Kampf is certainly no worse than Acciari. Marner is a 90-100 point winger who has always been counted on to be one of the leaders. In this team he does not have to worry about that and I think the guy would only benefit from getting out of the Toronto media world.
May 7 at 9:50 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
The thing Toronto fans are most worried about is not winning a Marner trade - it’s that because it’s Toronto; once he’s traded he’ll go on an all time bender / win a cup. In the same conference no less.

We're talking about a player who's scored at a 100-point pace the past four seasons while also being the team's best penalty killer, 5-on-5 defensive player, and an integral quarterback on the powerplay and pretty much every aspect of the team's game. Heck, when we're down to 5 d-men in a game, he'll take shifts on defence because he's good at that too.

I've watched just about every single game of the Matthews era. Marner is not nearly as bad as this brain-rot delusional fanbase wants you to believe. Sure, he's had some underwhelming playoff performances relative to the fans' expectations, expectations that were mostly brought on by himself (for being such a good player). But the truth is that the entire team underperforms as well. This fanbase just always needs a scapegoat. Man, there was literally a time when Willy was the most hated guy on the team, and Marner was the fan-favourite.

What I'm trying to say is, Marner won't 'go on a bender.' He's already one of the best players in the entire league, and will be a Maple Leaf for a long, long time.
May 7 at 9:52 p.m.

"All of that" couldn't even make the playoffs (two years in a row) on a team with one of the greatest players of all time, lol.
May 7 at 10:11 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: WN88
We're talking about a player who's scored at a 100-point pace the past four seasons while also being the team's best penalty killer, 5-on-5 defensive player, and an integral quarterback on the powerplay and pretty much every aspect of the team's game. Heck, when we're down to 5 d-men in a game, he'll take shifts on defence because he's good at that too.

I've watched just about every single game of the Matthews era. Marner is not nearly as bad as this brain-rot delusional fanbase wants you to believe. Sure, he's had some underwhelming playoff performances relative to the fans' expectations, expectations that were mostly brought on by himself (for being such a good player). But the truth is that the entire team underperforms as well. This fanbase just always needs a scapegoat. Man, there was literally a time when Willy was the most hated guy on the team, and Marner was the fan-favourite.

What I'm trying to say is, Marner won't 'go on a bender.' He's already one of the best players in the entire league, and will be a Maple Leaf for a long, long time.

I assume then you are in the shrinking camp of keeping the core together and trying again?
May 7 at 10:19 p.m.
There is no replacing MP and I admit the defense is clearly worse. I do not think the bottom six is worse though. Trenin is an upgrade over Smith at this point and Kampf is certainly no worse than Acciari. Marner is a 90-100 point winger who has always been counted on to be one of the leaders. In this team he does not have to worry about that and I think the guy would only benefit from getting out of the Toronto media world.

I didn't say I thought the bottom 6 was worse, I said it's not better. Trenin and Kampf are another pair of defense-only guys. We tried that this year and it didn't work. We could keep Raks - He played well with Bunts & Geno, and was playing hurt - and add another top 6 winger like DeBrusk or a 3C like Roslovic. If we want to have a decent chance, our depth needs to be better, whether that's from acquisitions or young guys like Ponomarev, maybe even Yager if we're lucky, making an impact. I like Trenin quite a bit, but I don't think he's an upgrade to Smith and I don't think he's a significant impact. On a team with good depth, he and Eller are probably 4th liners. And they're both much better than everyone on that 4th line.
May 7 at 10:50 p.m.
I assume then you are in the shrinking camp of keeping the core together and trying again?

It wouldn't matter because none of them can be traded anyway, lol. But yeah, i am. not even afraid to admit it anymore. these marner trades are getting ridiculous. It breaks my heart to see fans trading one of the best players to ever wear our jersey for like a top 4 d man and a 2nd-round pick, haha... hurts even more when I see the other team's fanbase rejecting the trade xd.
edeangel84 liked this.
May 7 at 11:19 p.m.
SJ will tak Smith. Rakell, your 2024 2nd and your 2025 1st for FC
May 8 at 4:13 a.m.
SkateOrDie
not trading Yager or MP for bum Marner who wan'ts 12+ million per.
No thanks.
If I wanted to spend that kind of money on a winger I'd resign Jake or Reinhart.
May 8 at 10:02 a.m.
I would absolutely love Marner. I feel like a lot of people are downplaying how incredible of a player he actually is. That being said - I think this is a pretty big risk. Not sure one I'd be willing to make. I feel like it plays into the problems they already had, and doesn't help fix them. It would have a great top6 for sure - but the bottom 6 isn't any better and the defense is worse.
May 8 at 1:21 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: vols94
SJ will tak Smith. Rakell, your 2024 2nd and your 2025 1st for FC

lol
May 8 at 1:22 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: JSEB93
I would absolutely love Marner. I feel like a lot of people are downplaying how incredible of a player he actually is. That being said - I think this is a pretty big risk. Not sure one I'd be willing to make. I feel like it plays into the problems they already had, and doesn't help fix them. It would have a great top6 for sure - but the bottom 6 isn't any better and the defense is worse.

I think that bottom six is better but concede the defense clearly takes a hit without MP.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll