Forums/Armchair-GM

Targets at 26 overall

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 21, 2024
Published: May 21, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now that we know MTL has the 26th overall pick this year (from the Monahan to WIN trade), here are possible targets imo MTL could make if they decide to keep the pick.

Having read a lot of (maybe too much...) pre-draft rankings, and mock drafts, prospect articles and video analyses, this year's 1st rd potential players can be divide in a few groups:

#1 - Celebrini (pretty much all on his own up top)

#2 to #5 (Levshunov and Demidov being pretty secure in these spots, with a majority consensus with Silayev and Lindstrom going next)

#6 to #16 (a lot of variety and difference of opinions of who will be picked when in this group, among the candidates are Iginla, Parekh, Buium, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, etc.)

#17 to #40 (This is where the term "weak draft" comes in, not because there are no top line star potential players, because there is a solid amount of those in this draft, but due to the fact that there is a significant drop after the top 15 or so. So instead of calling it a "weak draft", it would be best categorized as a "not very deep draft".)

So, without going over every possible choice of a large batch of possible players that could be available at 26. Here are a few targets i would go for, varying from high risk to extremely safe:

Highest risk choice:

- Dean Letourneau (he's called Tage Thompson 2.0 for a reason, he's 6'7'', has excellent hands, and skates very well for his size. What makes him a HUGE question mark is the competition he's played against, having barely sniffed any USHL quality games, and won't play an NCAA game until at least 2025-26. This pick could completely fall flat, but teams looking to take a big swing late in the 1st, Letourneau is probably the biggest swing you could take.)

Safest pick:

- Cole Beaudoin (Perfectly fits the description of high "floor", low "ceiling" player. You know exactly what you're getting with Beaudoin. A 6'2'' 210lbs Middle to Bottom 6 center, who plays responsible hockey, can hit, take a face-off, play the PK, etc. A stereotypical "coaches dream". Will he ever score more than 40pts in the NHL? probably not. but he's the type of player you look for when building a contender. Beaudoin played the perfect support role at the U18 WC, and also had an excellent U18 Hlinka Gretzky. A "can't miss" pick. Comparable probably being a Nick Roy from VGK)

Meet in the middle (little bit of risk, little bit safe) pick:

- Andrew Basha (This pick will gain more steam depending on if MTL can select Lindstrom with the 5th overall pick. Basha was Lindstrom's linemate and had excellent chemistry together. He's not an overly big player at 5'11'', but he plays an aggressive style of hockey with solid offensive potential. Think Konecny or Mangiapane in terms of his "ceiling".)

They go for another defensemen pick:

- Adam Kleber or Dominik Badinka (Both hulking RD, with Kleber at 6'5'' and Badinka at 6'3'', Kleber being the better skater with decent offensive potential, Badinka with being the more well-rounded two-way D who impressed in the SHL at 18 years old. Neither have top pairing potential, but both have that top 4 playoff Dman style of play.)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
3$6,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Crouse, Lawson
Additional Details:
More needs to be added on both sides
UTA
  1. Matheson, Michael
Additional Details:
Not giving up on this type of deal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/826426

Utah will be looking for a top pairing LD. Habs are looking for a big winger to complement their top 6.
MTL
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Doesn't have to be a 2nd
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$81,124,583$1,022,500$4,750,000$6,575,417
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
Logo of the Utah Hockey Club
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
UFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21 at 2:17 p.m.
Can't see Utah doing that. And I would argue that Moser is filling into that role fine. Probably go after someone in Free Agency or the draft. If Silayev falls to them be sure they will snag him up
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 21 at 2:23 p.m.
Juraj SlafDadsky
Pick any other team for the Evans trade cause we already have a chance to get that 2nd from the Devils via the Allen trade
May 21 at 2:33 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Logicalicesports
Can't see Utah doing that. And I would argue that Moser is filling into that role fine. Probably go after someone in Free Agency or the draft. If Silayev falls to them be sure they will snag him up

No doubt Silayev would interest Utah, but he's signed in the KHL until 2026 (which would fall in line when Matheson's contract expires).

Utah's owner has already said he wants to compete right away. Wouldn't surprise me they go fishing in free agency for a LD, but if they don't want to break the bank and spend $7mil+ for Brady Skjei, Matheson at $4.8mil is a good trade target alternative.
May 21 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
No doubt Silayev would interest Utah, but he's signed in the KHL until 2026 (which would fall in line when Matheson's contract expires).

Utah's owner has already said he wants to compete right away. Wouldn't surprise me they go fishing in free agency for a LD, but if they don't want to break the bank and spend $7mil+ for Brady Skjei, Matheson at $4.8mil is a good trade target alternative.

I don't think Smith is worried about spending money lol. I would think he is going to try and hit it big. Also I think Silayev would be coming over earlier much like Michkov this year
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 21 at 2:40 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Lafleur10
Pick any other team for the Evans trade cause we already have a chance to get that 2nd from the Devils via the Allen trade

Could be any team tbh. I think MTL should choose to trade one of Dvorak or Evans to make room for Beck or Kapanen (if they want more experience instead, Gignac did great when he got called up). I'd prefer to keep Evans, but logically Dvorak is needed more being a lefty.
Lafleur10 liked this.
May 21 at 2:44 p.m.
Juraj SlafDadsky
Could be any team tbh. I think MTL should choose to trade one of Dvorak or Evans to make room for Beck or Kapanen (if they want more experience instead, Gignac did great when he got called up). I'd prefer to keep Evans, but logically Dvorak is needed more being a lefty.

I could see both going, with guy's like Roy/Farrell or even Kidney getting shots at 3/4C until more prospects make the team. Beck I can honestly see making the team out of camp, and my god has Kapanen looked great at the worlds. Just waiting for the meeting that's happening between his agent and Hughes when the tournament ends.
FarhanLuigi liked this.
May 21 at 2:47 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: Logicalicesports
I don't think Smith is worried about spending money lol. I would think he is going to try and hit it big. Also I think Silayev would be coming over earlier much like Michkov this year

You never know, but they are in two completely different situations. SKA don't seem particularly interested in keeping / playing Michkov, and Michkov is probably sick of playing in Sochi lol Silayev gets a lot of playing time with a good KHL team (Nizhny Novgorod is right next to Moscow too), with a great coach (Igor Larionov).
Logicalicesports liked this.
May 21 at 2:48 p.m.
You never know, but they are in two completely different situations. SKA don't seem particularly interested in keeping / playing Michkov, and Michkov is probably sick of playing in Sochi lol Silayev gets a lot of playing time with a good KHL team (Nizhny Novgorod is right next to Moscow too), with a great coach (Igor Larionov).

Very true, but KHL clubs are seemingly having better relationships with NHL teams now
Blazingbat11 liked this.
May 21 at 2:52 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think that you might have your eye on a RW prospect (or right-shooting C who could become a RW) to arrive when Anderson and Gallagher finally age out. LeTourneau is one good possibility; how about local boys Sam O'Reilly from London or Jett Luchanko from Guelph? Further afield, there's the sizeable Adam Jecho from Edmonton or even Matvei Gridin from the USHL, who is actually a leftie but has some gaudy numbers.

Basha and Beaudoin are certainly reasonable options if you're not going to be limited by positional need.
May 21 at 4:04 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think that you might have your eye on a RW prospect (or right-shooting C who could become a RW) to arrive when Anderson and Gallagher finally age out. LeTourneau is one good possibility; how about local boys Sam O'Reilly from London or Jett Luchanko from Guelph? Further afield, there's the sizeable Adam Jecho from Edmonton or even Matvei Gridin from the USHL, who is actually a leftie but has some gaudy numbers.

Basha and Beaudoin are certainly reasonable options if you're not going to be limited by positional need.

I think MTL already has that with Beck and Kapanen. With Suzuki and Dach both being Righty's, it would make sense to convert one or both of Beck and Kapanen to RW. Roy although a lefty, plays RW, and then there's Mesar. So LW (or left shooting centers) are a much greater priority imo.
After Slafkovsky (who's been playing RW) and Newhook, there's not that much high end prospects at LW. There's Farrell, Tuch, and F.Xhekaj, that's it.

So if MTL were to prioritize by position-ish, I'd say:

#1 C / LW (essentially left shooting forwards)
#2 Goalie (not sure MTL are content with Montembeault and Primeau long term, and they don't want to put all their eggs in Fowler's basket)
#3 RD (I think MTL will move on from Barron, and with Reinbacher and Mailloux pretty much on the cusp of being full-time NHLers, there's nothing left after them, maybe Konyushkov and Kostenko, but they are long shots. Would make sense to grab another one, which is why I suggested Kleber or Badinka)
#4 C / RW (essentially right shooting forwards)
*big gap*
#5 LD (no need across the board, fully stocked now and in the future)
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 21 at 5:37 p.m.
Berkly goat Catton
I would personnally draft Kiviharju or Hutson
May 21 at 5:58 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
I would personnally draft Kiviharju or Hutson

I'd be ok with Kiviharju, bit on the smaller side, and almost a carbon copy to Mesar but as a lefty.

Cole Hutson is completely unnecessary... Habs don't need another LD, even if reuniting him with Lane Hutson could be fun. So pass.

Odds are Habs trade the pick. Gorton and Hughes want to speed things up, and apart from maybe Beaudoin, there's no one at 26th that could realistically make the team in the next two seasons.
May 21 at 7:00 p.m.
Berkly goat Catton
I'd be ok with Kiviharju, bit on the smaller side, and almost a carbon copy to Mesar but as a lefty.

Cole Hutson is completely unnecessary... Habs don't need another LD, even if reuniting him with Lane Hutson could be fun. So pass.

Odds are Habs trade the pick. Gorton and Hughes want to speed things up, and apart from maybe Beaudoin, there's no one at 26th that could realistically make the team in the next two seasons.

Kiviharju is also a LD. Both are extremely high potential
May 21 at 7:06 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Kiviharju is also a LD. Both are extremely high potential

My mistake, even less interested now… LD is the last thing MTL needs…
May 21 at 7:17 p.m.
Berkly goat Catton
My mistake, even less interested now… LD is the last thing MTL needs…

Why not. At that point in the draft, they need to draft BPA then trade some ld later
May 21 at 8:06 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Why not. At that point in the draft, they need to draft BPA then trade some ld later

BPA, especially late in the 1st rd, will be extremely subjective. Teams will mold their lists based on the needs of the team (MTL last year pick a whole bunch of goaltenders as an example). I can almost guarantee that MTL isn’t picking a LD until maybe the 6-7th rd of the draft…

BPA should be the priority with their 5th overall pick, which is why I wrote a thread recently about MTL possibly picking Silayev, which would make sense.
May 21 at 8:16 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
We need more talent in the roster. Trades 9th highest scoring defenceman in the league LMAO
May 22 at 6:42 p.m.
Berkly goat Catton
BPA, especially late in the 1st rd, will be extremely subjective. Teams will mold their lists based on the needs of the team (MTL last year pick a whole bunch of goaltenders as an example). I can almost guarantee that MTL isn’t picking a LD until maybe the 6-7th rd of the draft…

BPA should be the priority with their 5th overall pick, which is why I wrote a thread recently about MTL possibly picking Silayev, which would make sense.

Late in the draft, some guys have high risk high reward. They are considered BPA and habs should take them, whatever the position.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll