Forums/Armchair-GM

Possibility - Val seeks help in Russia

Created by: LimeyBarsteward
Team: 2024-25 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: May 22, 2024
Published: May 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Val is loaned to a KHL team for the regular season but returns for the playoffs after successfully dealing with his demons with the help of family. Therapy works better in your native tongue.
The calculation didn’t work correctly with the taxi squad so he’s on LTIR but wouldn’t be irl, he would be loaned.
I hope Landy comes back and plays well. Wins the Lester Pearson award (?) for perseverance.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
2$2,100,000
1$900,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,208,750$0$57,500$491,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
RFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, C
UFA
$896,250$896,250 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,250,000$7,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22 at 1:42 p.m.
Dr.
yes please, lets use that cap circumvention before they change it
M96N29, TJTwolf and LimeyBarsteward liked this.
May 22 at 1:58 p.m.
Anyone know how Val's NMC pertains to KHL loaning?
TJTwolf liked this.
May 22 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: M96N29

i don't think his NMC is the first concern here. For one, i don't know if you can loan a player like this.

but if you can, and if the cap doesn't count against you, I still feel like the NHL would make sure Nuke was not eligible to come back for the playoffs in that same season. It makes Vegas' cap circumvention look like nothing.

IF and only IF any of that is true, then yes, I guess Nuke could waive his NMC to play abroad.
M96N29 liked this.
May 22 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: swissmontana
i don't think his NMC is the first concern here. For one, i don't know if you can loan a player like this.

but if you can, and if the cap doesn't count against you, I still feel like the NHL would make sure Nuke was not eligible to come back for the playoffs in that same season. It makes Vegas' cap circumvention look like nothing.

IF and only IF any of that is true, then yes, I guess Nuke could waive his NMC to play abroad.

Agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of him being loaned until a longer-term solution was found. Even if the NHL allows Val to come back for the playoffs, it sounds like the locker room has moved on.
swissmontana liked this.
May 22 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: M96N29

In theory he could be loaned anywhere but he would have to pass through waivers to do it.
LimeyBarsteward and M96N29 liked this.
May 22 at 8:04 p.m.
Avs rule
Edited May 22 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
In theory he could be loaned anywhere but he would have to pass through waivers to do it.

I don’t believe that is the case. Kovalenko was signed to a contract prior to the season and then loaned to his KHL team. This made him eligible to play in the playoffs for the Avs and he didn’t have to pass through waivers. (However he may have been waiver exempt).

The o’Reilly offer sheet from Calgary when he was playing in the KHL meant that if the Avs hadn’t matched it he would have to pass through waivers. Because he ultimately signed with a team that owned his rights he didn’t have to pass through waivers despite playing 10+ games overseas without a contract.
May 22 at 8:13 p.m.
Avs rule
if you can loan a player like this….and if the cap doesn't count against you.

According to the snippet of the cba I read it is only the base salary that can be removed in the case of a player being loaned. However as all of Nuke’s AAV is base salary for next season I don’t see why it can’t happen. Loans happen every season however they tend to be younger players. Perhaps there is a difference between elc and normal contracts or an age limit?
swissmontana liked this.
May 22 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: LimeyBarsteward
I don’t believe that is the case. Kovalenko was signed to a contract prior to the season and then loaned to his KHL team. This made him eligible to play in the playoffs for the Avs.
The o’Reilly offer sheet from Calgary when he was playing in the KHL meant that if the Avs hadn’t matched it he would have to pass through waivers. Because he ultimately signed with a team that owned his rights he didn’t have to pass through waivers despite playing 10+ games overseas without a contract.

Kovalenko was waivers exempt as an unsigned prospect going onto his ELC. Completely different. He's still waivers exempt now so in theory could be loaned back to Torpedo. I'm pretty sure that to be loaned elsewhere would be no different to being loaned to the AHL Eagles in Nuke's case. Waivers first. O'Reilly's situation was also only returning to his NHL team and IIRC re-entry waivers were gone by then so he didn't face the issues Nabokov did for example and neither would Nuke.

Edit: The only possible way around that I can think of would be if it could be considered a 'conditioning assignment' in which case I don't think a player has to pass through waivers but not sure off the top of my head if there isn't a time frame limit on that.
May 22 at 8:24 p.m.
Avs rule
Waivers first.

Edit: The only possible way around that I can think of would be if it could be considered a 'conditioning assignment' in which case I don't think a player has to pass through waivers but not sure off the top of my head if there isn't a time frame limit on that.

As far as I’m aware conditioning is limited to 3-5 games skaters vs goalies.

I think you make a great case with waivers… however how many teams are going to take a chance on a 6m x 5year player who can’t stay out of the player assistance program? My assumption was that even if he had to pass through waivers in November no one would take that risk.
Additionally if someone claimed him it would have the same result. Ie not on the Avs payroll.
TJTwolf liked this.
May 22 at 8:37 p.m.
As far as I’m aware conditioning is limited to 3-5 games skaters vs goalies.

I think you make a great case with waivers… however how many teams are going to take a chance on a 6m x 5year player who can’t stay out of the player assistance program? My assumption was that even if he had to pass through waivers in November no one would take that risk.
Additionally if someone claimed him it would have the same result.

Yeah I thought there was a limit but wasn't sure how many and if it varied on what the conditioning was for.

I wouldn't say I'm certain on waivers but I think it's the case. A parallel for O'Reilly would be Sampo Ranta going back to Finland (or going to Sweden I forget which). The Avs still hold his rights as he was an RFA so he'd have to come back to the Avs/Eagles if it happened before 2027. I don't think waivers would have been an issue with O'Reilly coming back to the NHL if the Avs hadn't matched unless re-entry waivers were still in place at that time but I can't remember without looking it up when exactly they went out.

The concern with Nuke would be that there is almost certainly one GM who would take the chance. That said, as you rightly mentioned, if the end intention is simply to 'be rid' then the end result is the same in which case it's of no concern if someone takes the chance.

Personally I'd love to see him get clean and healed and return to the Avs but I don't see how the latter part of that, at least, happens.

Edit: Of course the other element could be how his NMC is written. Can a player say he'll only waive his NMC to 'go back home'? I honestly have no idea as to the answer on that one.
LimeyBarsteward liked this.
May 22 at 8:49 p.m.
Avs rule

Personally I'd love to see him get clean and healed and return to the Avs but I don't see how the latter part of that, at least, happens.

Amen to that brother. I think he would have to have the mother of all apologies for the team and perhaps buy them all wasted Russian prostitutes. I kid about the prostitutes. Perhaps they would prefer AK47s?
TJTwolf liked this.
May 22 at 8:57 p.m.
Amen to that brother. I think he would have to have the mother of all apologies for the team and perhaps buy them all wasted Russian prostitutes. I kid about the prostitutes. Perhaps they would prefer AK47s?

tears of joy

On a serious note my thinking was if Nuke says he'll only waive his NMC to go home he'd still have to pass through waivers as that's the mechanism BUT there would really be no reason for anyone to take him off waivers if the NMC (or the waiving of it) supersedes the waivers, as all they'd be doing would be claiming a guy who might never come back. Maybe Vegas would if it presents a new way to circumvent the cap for them just for the novelty lol.
LimeyBarsteward liked this.
May 22 at 9:13 p.m.
Avs rule
tears of joy

On a serious note my thinking was if Nuke says he'll only waive his NMC to go home he'd still have to pass through waivers as that's the mechanism BUT there would really be no reason for anyone to take him off waivers if the NMC (or the waiving of it) supersedes the waivers, as all they'd be doing would be claiming a guy who might never come back. Maybe Vegas would if it presents a new way to circumvent the cap for them just for the novelty lol.

I believe that the waiving of the NMC for this a particular purpose would include an acknowledgment of the risk of being claimed and a willingness to accept the risk. It would be a convoluted legal nightmare otherwise but I’m not a lawyer for the NHL… or am I? I can attest to the fact that I have never passed the bar… without getting at least one drink.
Additionally the players association might be able to challenge being picked via waivers after the fact.
TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll