SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Accidentally on purpose - Goalie accountability

Should Diving / Embellishment calls be given to Goaltenders?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 14, 2017 at 2:50 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I watched last nights game between Columbus and NYR and the first goal of the game was scored by C.Atkinson. Rangers coach A.Vigneault challenged for goalie interference, and the goal was reversed. While the refs were looking at the play, the replay showed that Atkinson was indeed in the crease, but that it was Lundqvist that initiated the contact between the two. The commentators even mentioned Lundvist moving toward Atkinson before the shot was even made, and once the puck entered the net you can see him then decide to fall back and drop his stick and looking at the refs afterwards and crying foul.

Almost an identical incident happened with Lundqvist when he played MTL last week, where M.Pacioretty was fighting for position in front of the net with R.McDonagh (outside of the crease), Lundqvist moved forward and initiated contact with Patches and once the puck crossed the net from a point shot from S.Weber, you see him falling back and yet again looking at the refs all innocent. The goal was called good, the play was challenged and the goal reversed.

Now i'm not trying to single Lundqvist out, as I can distinctly remember C.Price doing this a few time, same as C.Talbot and B.Holtby. So I think what we're seeing now is that obviously referees want to protect the goaltenders, but that the goalies are starting to take advantage of this. The NHL has rules for diving and embellishment, but they exclusively get called for forwards and defensemen. I'd like to see more of these calls being made towards the goalies as well.

What do you guys think?
Oct. 14, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
My understanding is the goalies have the right to establish their position in the crease. So opposing players are not suppose to interfere with a goalies movement within the crease.
If you think I'm wrong, how's this scenario. A goalie is out of his crease to make a save or to clear a puck. While he out of the crease an opponent goes behind him and established his position, The goalie then drifts back into the crease bumping the forward. The forward interferes with the goalies being able to move in the crease. A goal scored would not be legal. I think you're confusing diving with the rule that allows goalie freedom of movement within his crease (unless I'm wrong with interpretation of the rule)
Oct. 14, 2017 at 6:44 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Oct. 14, 2017 at 7:04 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
My understanding is the goalies have the right to establish their position in the crease. So opposing players are not suppose to interfere with a goalies movement within the crease.
If you think I'm wrong, how's this scenario. A goalie is out of his crease to make a save or to clear a puck. While he out of the crease an opponent goes behind him and established his position, The goalie then drifts back into the crease bumping the forward. The forward interferes with the goalies being able to move in the crease. A goal scored would not be legal. I think you're confusing diving with the rule that allows goalie freedom of movement within his crease (unless I'm wrong with interpretation of the rule)

With your example the player in the crease behind the goalie would be called for goaltender interference with the goalie trying to get back in his crease, which is his right. My contention is that when both player and goalie are in the crease, which is allowed, and it's the goalie who initiates contact. With the freedom of movement rule, why do we allow players to enter the crease period? If a player enters the crease then, the goalie can just go and bump into him, fall down, a shot goes in the net, and it'll get waved off every time. And I think goalies are taking advantage of this.

I would invite you to see the disallowed goals from the games I spoke of to see what I'm writing about. I agree if the goalie is trying to make the save and a player is in the way, goalie interference should be called. But if the goalie "accidentally on purpose" goes into the player and falls down because of it, an embellishment or diving call should be taken into consideration, and if there's a goal, that it counts.
Oct. 14, 2017 at 8:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The original rule was that only the goalie and defensive were allowed in the goal crease, Offensive players were only allowed into the crease to retrieve the puck. I have seen the Patches/Linquist play.
Let's not talk if McDonaugh pushed Patches. I content you are incorrect. A offensive player cannot be in the crease impeding the movement of the goalie. You're getting carried away with diving and embellishment.
The fact is the goal should be disallowed. Maybe no penalty either way. Just a face off at the blue line. But the fact is the Patches would be considered in the way, in the crease as Linquist was moving within his crease to face the shooter. You tend to agree with me and the referees when you write"" if the goalie is trying to make the save and a player is in the way, goalie interference should be called" Usually not a penalty though, just a whistle and faceoff. A penalty is more likely to occur when a player moves into a goalie.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit