SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

NEW GAME SHOW: "What if" scenarios!!

Dec. 25, 2017 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Dagnabbit guys, this was a "what if" game for my questions, not yours!!!!!!!! laugh

No one cares
Dec. 26, 2017 at 6:34 p.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
No one cares

Yeah.. I can see that bolts. neutral
Dec. 26, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
What if....Carey agrees to waive his NMC. Actually I think it will happen. Maybe if 5 or 6 years, when his 10.5m contract might be just be comparable to a 7.5m contract. Canadians are still a middling team and will be traded for a contender for some good futures...and some bad contracts to balance the cap.
For Weber's 24m penalty recapture, I kinda think the Preds will trade him to a team with cap space. His 1m or so salary can eaten by the team with a small cap such as the expansion New Orleans Flood.
Dec. 27, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
What if....Carey agrees to waive his NMC. Actually I think it will happen. Maybe if 5 or 6 years, when his 10.5m contract might be just be comparable to a 7.5m contract. Canadians are still a middling team and will be traded for a contender for some good futures...and some bad contracts to balance the cap.
For Weber's 24m penalty recapture, I kinda think the Preds will trade him to a team with cap space. His 1m or so salary can eaten by the team with a small cap such as the expansion New Orleans Flood.

Webers recapture penalty can be used as leverage against Nashville though, palhal. Technically speaking, that penalty is only going to affect Nashville and not the team that has Weber. So if you are a team like Chicago who needs a distinct advantage against a powerhouse like Nashville, this could crush them and easily propel you over them artificially.

I have a feeling Weber will truck through his contract to be a "nice guy" but frankly if for whatever reason he has to retire, that recapture penalty could cripple Nashville as they'd have to sell off all their expensive assets in order to be cap compliant that season. Trading for Weber so that they could keep him technically on the payroll and not officially retired would be paramount. 1st round picks and prospects worthy.
Dec. 27, 2017 at 3:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
"Webers recapture penalty can be used as leverage against Nashville though, palhal". Gee, Mr Marco, you sound like you are one of those Montreal mobsters. Us, leverage, to make a deal that "they can't refuse." Thanks for your insight.,
Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:35 a.m.
Below Market Value
Webers recapture penalty can be used as leverage against Nashville though, palhal. Technically speaking, that penalty is only going to affect Nashville and not the team that has Weber. So if you are a team like Chicago who needs a distinct advantage against a powerhouse like Nashville, this could crush them and easily propel you over them artificially.

I have a feeling Weber will truck through his contract to be a "nice guy" but frankly if for whatever reason he has to retire, that recapture penalty could cripple Nashville as they'd have to sell off all their expensive assets in order to be cap compliant that season. Trading for Weber so that they could keep him technically on the payroll and not officially retired would be paramount. 1st round picks and prospects worthy.

The thing is, if Weber retires, he doesn't get the remaining money in his contract. So it's not all dependent on him being a "nice guy", but whether or not he wants to recoup that remaining $3-6 million.
Dec. 28, 2017 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
The thing is, if Weber retires, he doesn't get the remaining money in his contract. So it's not all dependent on him being a "nice guy", but whether or not he wants to recoup that remaining $3-6 million.

I would think that in the twilight of that contract, making 1M will seem not worth the health risk of continuing playing. I know most contacts that were structured that way, were done so in the belief that that player would not even play those league minimum years.... Its awfully suspicious that Hossa's illness coincided with the fact that he's making 1M a year for the next 4 years. Sticking Out Tongue

Does any player who has a contract like that really want/need to continue playing at that point? I don't think so. The only worrisome thing is that Weber strikes me as that homegrown good Canadian boy that would continue playing even if he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So I could see him "honoring" his contract even he knows he probably should just hang them up.

Then again some players are playing into their 40's now.....
Dec. 28, 2017 at 1:13 p.m.
Below Market Value
I would think that in the twilight of that contract, making 1M will seem not worth the health risk of continuing playing. I know most contacts that were structured that way, were done so in the belief that that player would not even play those league minimum years.... Its awfully suspicious that Hossa's illness coincided with the fact that he's making 1M a year for the next 4 years. Sticking Out Tongue

Does any player who has a contract like that really want/need to continue playing at that point? I don't think so. The only worrisome thing is that Weber strikes me as that homegrown good Canadian boy that would continue playing even if he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So I could see him "honoring" his contract even he knows he probably should just hang them up.

Then again some players are playing into their 40's now.....

He could still earn the money without having to actually play and risk his health, though. He could legitimately get injured like David Clarkson and Nathan Horton and get put on LTIR, or pull a Hossa to get put on LTIR.
Dec. 28, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
He could still earn the money without having to actually play and risk his health, though. He could legitimately get injured like David Clarkson and Nathan Horton and get put on LTIR, or pull a Hossa to get put on LTIR.

If only getting legitimately injured was that easy. laugh

Those guys have legit injuries though. Sure they probably aren't fighting it too much either but even if they wanted to come back, they wouldn't be cleared.

Either way I get what you mean. But if he feels fine and isn't really bothered by anything, whats he gonna do? Ask Ryan Suter to take slap shots to groin on purpose? LOL

He could just you know, retire! awesome face

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll