Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens Huge Trade

Created by: ekpaul87
Team: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 18, 2017
Published: Dec. 18, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't believe there is any chance this would actually happen, just wanted to see how it would look with Karlsson on the Pens. Curious if you think the trade is reasonably fair value. Could potentially add Tristan Jarry if needed as well.
Trades
MIN
  1. 2019 4th round pick (PIT)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$70,193,225$50,000$1,322,500$4,806,775

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$692,500$692,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,075,000$2,075,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$630,833$630,833 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 18, 2017 at 2:39 p.m.
Lafreniere
I’m so sorry other fans. Cole doesn’t get close to Haula. That Karlsson proposal is very very bad.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.
The Wild paid Vegas to take Haula away from them, so despite him having a good start to the season, let's not get carried away.

Care to elaborate on the Karlsson proposal? 4 solid assets, including a quality offensive, RH dman to play top 4 minutes is a pretty reasonable package.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: ekpaul87
The Wild paid Vegas to take Haula away from them, so despite him having a good start to the season, let's not get carried away.

Care to elaborate on the Karlsson proposal? 4 solid assets, including a quality offensive, RH dman to play top 4 minutes is a pretty reasonable package.

Agreed. I didn't think the Karlsson deal was bad. Schultz and Sheary will both still be under contract when Karlsson gets a raise, Plus Sprong is an RFA after this season that projects to be a top 6 winger with limited NHL time so he will be able to come pretty cheap. Then this years first in a deep draft class. That's a pretty solid package. Granted it is for one of the top 3 D-men in the league how do you really put a price on him.

I also agree that Haula is having a good season, For that trade to work it would probably have to be a sign and trade. But personally I would rather trade Maatta. Don't get me wrong I like both but Cole is better as a shut down D and with letang and Karlsson you would want more shut down guys than offensive minded guys.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 3:38 p.m.
Lafreniere

No, MIN payed Vegas to not pick Dumba/Spurgeon/Brodin. The payment was Tuch. Then VGK picked Haula in the expansion draft.

Why does OTT even trade Karlsson? The proposal isn’t close, as you are overvaluing the Penguins pieces drastically. A top 9 foward, #3 D, and top 6 foward potential, and a late first can’t get the #3 best player in the league. Start with Letang.

Quoting: jeg5393

Agreed. I didn't think the Karlsson deal was bad. Schultz and Sheary will both still be under contract when Karlsson gets a raise, Plus Sprong is an RFA after this season that projects to be a top 6 winger with limited NHL time so he will be able to come pretty cheap. Then this years first in a deep draft class. That's a pretty solid package. Granted it is for one of the top 3 D-men in the league how do you really put a price on him.

I also agree that Haula is having a good season, For that trade to work it would probably have to be a sign and trade. But personally I would rather trade Maatta. Don't get me wrong I like both but Cole is better as a shut down D and with letang and Karlsson you would want more shut down guys than offensive minded guys.

Oh my, Cole over Maatta? LMAO
Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:09 p.m.
Oh my, Cole over Maatta? LMAO[/quote]

Not sure what you're laughing at....I said Cole is the better shut down guy that makes the trade for Haula more likely to happen from a Vegas perspective. Maatta does have the better offensive awareness but hes slow. So if the team is based on the trades in this thread. Yes I would rather have a defensive minded guy that will block shots every night over a guy that might score 5 goals in a season.

And If you haven't been reading into any team/player news, Karlsson has said hes going to be going to free agency and getting paid every penny hes worth and wont take a hometown discount. Ott is typically a budget team that doesn't really go hard after the big name free agents. If hes going to be asking for a number that is outside of what theyre willing to pay him OTT will trade him rather lose him for nothing.

To answer youre question of "Why does OTT even trade him?", this year they don't, when July 1 hits and he says he wont resign for less than 12 mill they'll trade him to whoever will pay the most for him.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:15 p.m.
Lafreniere

Not sure what you're laughing at....I said Cole is the better shut down guy that makes the trade for Haula more likely to happen from a Vegas perspective. Maatta does have the better offensive awareness but hes slow. So if the team is based on the trades in this thread. Yes I would rather have a defensive minded guy that will block shots every night over a guy that might score 5 goals in a season.

And If you haven't been reading into any team/player news, Karlsson has said hes going to be going to free agency and getting paid every penny hes worth and wont take a hometown discount. Ott is typically a budget team that doesn't really go hard after the big name free agents. If hes going to be asking for a number that is outside of what theyre willing to pay him OTT will trade him rather lose him for nothing.

To answer youre question of "Why does OTT even trade him?", this year they don't, when July 1 hits and he says he wont resign for less than 12 mill they'll trade him to whoever will pay the most for him.[/quote]

You’d rather have the UFA Cole instead of Maatta(signed 4m/5yr)? Cole isn’t that good.

Karlsson just said he will get what he’s worth. His words, not the media’s
Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: ShafferPens

No, MIN payed Vegas to not pick Dumba/Spurgeon/Brodin. The payment was Tuch. Then VGK picked Haula in the expansion draft.

Why does OTT even trade Karlsson? The proposal isn’t close, as you are overvaluing the Penguins pieces drastically. A top 9 foward, #3 D, and top 6 foward potential, and a late first can’t get the #3 best player in the league. Start with Letang.

If you read the explanation, it clearly says I don't believe there is any chance this could actually happen. In terms of the package, Conor Sheary led the NHL in even strength points per 60 last season - better than Crosby, McDavid or anyone else. He's on a good value contract for a guy with that skill level. Justin Schultz was 7th in dman scoring in the entire league last year. If Ottawa decides they can't afford to re-sign Karlsson, they're going to have to move him. It seems to me that you are undervaluing these guys based on a pretty limited sample this season, when the entire team has suffered from some poor play and some bad luck. Most GMs in the league put a premium on guys who have won Cups, not devalue them for a slow start the year after back to back Cup wins.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 4:47 p.m.
Its doesn't matter what you guys think is "good" value.

If you are trading ERIK KARLSSON, you are saying you are rebuilding. Thus the only thing you want back are young stud prospects and draft picks. Not players to help you win now like Schultz and Sheary.... Even with those players, they are not better off then with EK. Unless Ottawa wants to do a hockey trade where they move Karlsson for somebody like Malkin or something, they won't trade him for four quarters even if those four quarters "technically" equal a dollar.

They'll want your best ELC prospect, a bevvy of draft picks and at least one sure thing player that is under 25.

Think something along these lines:

Maatta
Sprong
Lauzon
1st 2018
1st 2019
2nd 2018
3rd 2018
etc

You don't have to like it. But that's the price more than likely.
ShafferPens liked this.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.
Goodbye Jagr
Ottawa Senators block your number, Minnesota Wild say no, and Vegas Golden Knights, wtf? Haula>Cole??? Are you serious???
ShafferPens liked this.
Dec. 18, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.
Lafreniere
Quoting: ShafferPens

If you read the explanation, it clearly says I don't believe there is any chance this could actually happen. In terms of the package, Conor Sheary led the NHL in even strength points per 60 last season - better than Crosby, McDavid or anyone else. He's on a good value contract for a guy with that skill level. Justin Schultz was 7th in dman scoring in the entire league last year. If Ottawa decides they can't afford to re-sign Karlsson, they're going to have to move him. It seems to me that you are undervaluing these guys based on a pretty limited sample this season, when the entire team has suffered from some poor play and some bad luck. Most GMs in the league put a premium on guys who have won Cups, not devalue them for a slow start the year after back to back Cup wins.

We aren’t talking about Matt Duchene here, we are talking about Erik freaking Karlsson. COL wouldn’t even have accepted that trade for Duchene lmao.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll