SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Montreal trades at deadline and signings this summer (+explanations)

Created by: Rideordie
Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2018
Published: Jan. 23, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This would be my sort of rebuild and possible signings for this summer because we all know Tavares is not coming to Montreal. In this case I also include the dream of picking first and getting Dahlin but if not, we would need to find some other solution on the left defensive side. I used the season 2017-2018 for the settings but I added players from the summer signings and also ajusted the salary cap to 78 M. First I will explain the trades and afterwards the signings.

Trade number one:
The reason for this trade is that N-Y will not be able to resign Nelson, Tavares, Bailey, ect. Therefore, they are open to trade Nelson. The reason why they would accept this trade is that he is not having a good offensive season so his value is down and N-Y are horrible defensively. Sending to defensive style forwards and one of the best shutdown center in Plekanec, they will have a better chance of making the playoff and even if they don't sign him back, witch they might to a low salary contract, they will have De la rose with a similar Defensive potential. Montreal also retains half of his salary since N-Y are close to the salary cap.

Trade number two:
This trade is one that will bring a second round draft pick to Mtl and help out the rebuild. The reason why Detroit would do it is because they have a lot of young players that their contracts are over this summer. But they do not dispose of a lot of free cap room. By doing this trade, they get rid of a heavy contract that Montreal can take on with the free cap room we have. We also send an old first round prospect (2013) that hasn't really lived up to his potentiel that can maybe get a second chance in Detroit.

Trade number three:
This one is the big trade. Montreal need's to go in a new direction and we need to change some high value players. Pacioretty is the player with the highest value and the best contract to trade. The reason why Nashville would do this trade is that they have a 2 year window before Ellis and Rinne contracts are over (and Rinne older) but they have almost all the pieces in place to win a cup before then and Pacioretty would be the final piece to complete it. The price is high but a just one for Pacioretty and his contract. Montreal get in return a very good prospect and a first round that could be an other good prospect.

Trade number four:
This trade is considering that Vegas are going to make the playoff and will need some character players on their fourth line that will help out in the playoff and Shaw would be a ''elite'' fourth line player with a lot of experience in the playoff. Vegas have a lot of free cap room this years and the next to come and would not mind his contract. Montreal gets a second round pick in 2019 in exchange that will help the rebuild.

Trade number five:
Schlemko experience in Montreal is not working out so far and will look to free up from his contract and get any pick in return. Pheonix will need some puck moving defense since they will lack in the department when they will trade OEL. They send Henley because they have 50 contracts already and a fourth round pick that Mtl would like to have.

Signing:
-Tyler Bozak: He is definitively not John Tavares but he is a right handed center witch Montreal lack of and he can be one of our 3 centers that can play on any of the first 3 lines. Toronto won't be able to keep him and a 3 year contract for his age could be good for both sides.
-James Van Riemsdyk: The reason why I believe he won't stay in Toronto is that he will ask to much money and/or years in his contract. Montreal need's a new goal scorer and he fits the perfect spot. Montreal has the money and are willing to give him 6 years.
-Eeli Tolvanen: Hopefully Montreal can convince him to come play with the habs and he will grow into an important player.
-Rasmus Dahlin: Like I said, this is the dream. A man can always dream and I do believe with Pacioretty gone and all our injuries, habs will go down in the rankings.

Salaray cap wise this would work, of course you would need to add a few millions to players like Danault and Nelson and some minor raises to a few players, plus Price's new contract. But with 12 M (9 + 3 from Plekanec retained salary) free outside the finishing contracts, they can make it work. In the end, Montreal ends up with a few more quality picks, some good young prospect and finally 4 natural centers. It's not perfect but it's a step in the right direction.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Dahlin, Rasmus
3$925,000
Tolvanen, Eeli
3$925,000
Bozak, Tyler
3$4,000,000
Van Riemsdyk, James
6$6,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Helm, Darren
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (DET)
MTL
  1. 2018 1st round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
Rights to Eeli Tolvanen
MTL
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
MTL
  1. Hanley, Joel
  2. 2018 4th round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Schlemko, David
  2. 2019 7th round pick (MTL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$78,000,000$68,798,809$0$182,500$9,201,191
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Van Riemsdyk, James
$6,500,000$6,500,000
Bozak, Tyler
$4,000,000$4,000,000
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Tolvanen, Eeli
$925,000$925,000
$912,500$912,500
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Dahlin, Rasmus
$925,000$925,000
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 9
$6,500,000$6,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:23 p.m.
After thinking about it, Montreal might need to add prospect Daniel Carr to the Brock Nelson trade to make it more appealing. This I am not sure but it could be necessary.
DeadGuy63 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
Wingnut
I'm all for the Detroit trade. Losing a 2nd hurts, but I can stomach it.
Rideordie liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
Billy739
pass on the patches deal its low value
ANA would give up way more and have the single largest surplus of Prospect Centers and D bar none .
with Henrique brought in its stunted Kossila's ability to grow in ANA

Shaws having a career high year , we will get more then we paid for him as most 3rd line players make 3-4 m when they lead bottom 6
and make no mistake Shaw is the best 3rd line leader in the NHL bar none at just age 26 .

JVR is **** , i wont elaborate its just a hard pass

Helm is a pointless move with Shaw there , his only upside since his production died is as a leader.
without Shaw there Helm is still a pointless move because he's slower then mccarron
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:42 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
pass on the patches deal its low value
ANA would give up way more and have the single largest surplus of Prospect Centers and D bar none .
with Henrique brought in its stunted Kossila's ability to grow in ANA

Shaws having a career high year , we will get more then we paid for him as most 3rd line players make 3-4 m when they lead bottom 6
and make no mistake Shaw is the best 3rd line leader in the NHL bar none at just age 26 .

JVR is **** , i wont elaborate its just a hard pass

Helm is a pointless move with Shaw there , his only upside since his production died is as a leader.
without Shaw there Helm is still a pointless move because he's slower then mccarron

I'm pretty doubtful that Anaheim would sacrifice more since they have no guaranties that they will make the playoff. But if we can get more, why not. But Tolvanen having a possible 50 pts season in the khl at 18 makes him an elite prospect. For Shaw, I don't know where you get your info thinking that he has a good contract but everyone always says that he has a awful contract plus we don't really need him, we have so many players that play the same way. The Helm trade is mainly for the 2 round draft pick, not the player. We need to rebuild our prospect pool and we need picks to do so.
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:52 p.m.
habs_fan
Solid

except patches value is to low you should add more and helm trade was not to smart try someone with smaller contract
Billy739 and CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 5:57 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Rideordie
I'm pretty doubtful that Anaheim would sacrifice more since they have no guaranties that they will make the playoff. But if we can get more, why not. But Tolvanen having a possible 50 pts season in the khl at 18 makes him an elite prospect. For Shaw, I don't know where you get your info thinking that he has a good contract but everyone always says that he has a awful contract plus we don't really need him, we have so many players that play the same way. The Helm trade is mainly for the 2 round draft pick, not the player. We need to rebuild our prospect pool and we need picks to do so.

i'm not bringing in Henrique said they weren't tapping that potential
for them getting a guy like Patches is no small thing as they are lead by centers
since Perry's decline so getting a guy like Patches helps them a lot .

Shaw statement stands i dont care what fans think , i use PROFESSIONAL assessment based on trade history and the fact that Lemiuex is 1 of the pieces WPG has rumored to offer up (so someone knows he has value to do that ) but more then that since leaving CHI they've re-acquired how many players from their cup teams trying to make the bottom 6 work again but it hasnt at all . Shaw is a right handed faceoff guy which is rare enough but more then that he's winning 55-57% faceoffs as a OZ zone draw which is unheard of in the bottom 6 and rare in the top 6 . (most stars strong on OZ faceoffs suck at NZ and DZ faceoffs , they dont get over 50% win rate for this reason .

on the shaw deal you'll see it sooner then later it sounds but on the patches Deal ANA is on the brink of a playoff spot , the need for a scoring winger is high after trading a top line D for a third line Center gearing up for playoffs at this point if they miss them they stunted Kossila's development for nothing
Rideordie liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:01 p.m.
Billy739

ANA like MTL is has an aging core , they got 3 years to capture a cup and after that its rebuild .
so landing a Pacioretty gives them better odds with a :
Raekell-Getzlaf-Perry
Pacioretty-Kesler-Silverberg
Cogliano-Henrique-Kase
Wagner-Vermette - Ritchie

that makes them a real threat goal scoring wise
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
i'm not bringing in Henrique said they weren't tapping that potential
for them getting a guy like Patches is no small thing as they are lead by centers
since Perry's decline so getting a guy like Patches helps them a lot .

Shaw statement stands i dont care what fans think , i use PROFESSIONAL assessment based on trade history and the fact that Lemiuex is 1 of the pieces WPG has rumored to offer up (so someone knows he has value to do that ) but more then that since leaving CHI they've re-acquired how many players from their cup teams trying to make the bottom 6 work again but it hasnt at all . Shaw is a right handed faceoff guy which is rare enough but more then that he's winning 55-57% faceoffs as a OZ zone draw which is unheard of in the bottom 6 and rare in the top 6 . (most stars strong on OZ faceoffs suck at NZ and DZ faceoffs , they dont get over 50% win rate for this reason .

on the shaw deal you'll see it sooner then later it sounds but on the patches Deal ANA is on the brink of a playoff spot , the need for a scoring winger is high after trading a top line D for a third line Center gearing up for playoffs at this point if they miss them they stunted Kossila's development for nothing

Well I did not think about that for Anaheim, what do you think they can propose as a trade offer?
And for Shaw, I still think that even tho what you say is true, I am doubtful that we can trade him with out getting an other contract in return from any other team then Vegas.
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:34 p.m.
I like all those deals you've made up there. The only move I really don't like is Tyler Bozak. MTL can do better than him as a 1C. Statsny, Backlund, Tavares... I know JT is a stretch, but the other two are better than Bozak. For me, Bozak is David Desharnais 2.0.
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:56 p.m.
Quoting: MONSTER1974
I like all those deals you've made up there. The only move I really don't like is Tyler Bozak. MTL can do better than him as a 1C. Statsny, Backlund, Tavares... I know JT is a stretch, but the other two are better than Bozak. For me, Bozak is David Desharnais 2.0.

The reason why I chose Bozak was because he was right handed and has already played a lot with JVR. But you are right he is no 1C but we would have 3 lines that could be Mtl first. Also I would prefer a guy like Statsny for sure but I don't think he would want to sign here and a lot of team would want him, not Bozak. But yeah, for sure if we can get better at a decent price im down for that!
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:05 p.m.
Habs
It has already been said but I gotta say it too, the return for pacioretty is low and disappointing.

Also the NYI trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. if NYI think plekanec is an upgrade then I guess they would do it (I don't think he is). They don't have to trade Nelson at all though. He is a RFA so even if they can't resign him another team would have to trade for his rights or offer sheet him anyways. Here's a scenario.. maybe Tavares leaves the Islanders and they could've re-signed Nelson but instead they traded him for a vet who is at the end of his career. It just doesn't make sense for the islanders.

Don't like the Bozak and JVR signings.. those are just plug moves that aren't going to help the team long term.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:08 p.m.
Habs
Well I did not think about that for Anaheim, what do you think they can propose as a trade offer?
And for Shaw, I still think that even tho what you say is true, I am doubtful that we can trade him with out getting an other contract in return from any other team then Vegas.

Google Andrew Shaw's contract and by using this site you will see his contract is front loaded. Teams like Arizona and Carolina that are low budget would love a player like Shaw. Especially Carolina who is close to competing for playoffs.
Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
It has already been said but I gotta say it too, the return for pacioretty is low and disappointing.

Also the NYI trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. if NYI think plekanec is an upgrade then I guess they would do it (I don't think he is). They don't have to trade Nelson at all though. He is a RFA so even if they can't resign him another team would have to trade for his rights or offer sheet him anyways. Here's a scenario.. maybe Tavares leaves the Islanders and they could've re-signed Nelson but instead they traded him for a vet who is at the end of his career. It just doesn't make sense for the islanders.

Don't like the Bozak and JVR signings.. those are just plug moves that aren't going to help the team long term.

Like I said on my first comment, add Daniel Carr and you have 1 good def center with 2 young guys witch makes a pretty decent trade offer. Montreal will have a hard time to sign good players this summer cause they never want to come play with us. This is what is possible more then what a perfect scenario would be! But I didn't know about Shaw's contract having a lower actual salary so it is true then that we could get more!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll