Forums/Armchair-GM

Boston With Playoff 2018 Priority

Created by: FryesLeapMaine
Team: 2017-18 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 24, 2018
Published: Jan. 24, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Vancouver picks up 2 "Identity" building players in Lauzon and Frederic. With the Twins leaving either this year or next they can use a couple guys like this. I'm not giving up a whole lot to Vancouver but that's because I'm factoring in my own perception of their GM which is that he doesn't always make good decisions. I think he could probably get more, but he could also get less.

The basis of the Chicago deal has been talked about by both fanbases. I added Pokka to coming to us with a pick because we don't have many RHD prospects. We send them Postma to fill in at the NHL level if they are still trying to make the playoffs as well as Fitzgerald who's a skilled winger prospect.

As for the lineup I think Nash can go down in the lineup. Having just seen them in person it's clear to me that Heinen is driving that line with his speed and hunger. Backes is solid because of his all around skill, but Nash doesn't offer a lot aside from his good positioning and defense. He did score a goal in the game, but it was a whacky billiards type shot banked off of the Devils defender. It's hard to break up the 4th line, but I do think Nash would be slightly better than Accari with his superior defensive play as well as his ability to win a face-off if Kuraly gets kicked out.
Trades
BOS
  1. Edler, Alexander
  2. Vanek, Thomas
Additional Details:
Vancouver NEEDS to rebuild properly. Frederic seems like an "Identity" type player with intangibles and Lauzon is a skilled 2 way defenseman who is thought of highly by the Bruins and our Fanbase.

They give up good players to Boston, but realistically they don't need either of these guys. They also take Beleskey because they'll have an enormous amount of Cap if the Twins retire or receive decreased pay.
VAN
  1. Beleskey, Matt
  2. Lauzon, Jérémy
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (BOS)
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
2016 1st C Trent Frederic
BOS
  1. Hartman, Ryan
  2. Pokka, Ville
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
The Bruins get a RHD prospect to go along with our bunch of LHD guys. The 3rd round pick is nice too, given we've already traded 2x 2nds in this scenario.

Fitzgerald and Spooner are the type of guys that could become really productive players in their system. Especially Spooner, he could explode to a point higher than he's been this year which has been his best season thus far.
CHI
  1. Fitzgerald, Ryan
  2. Postma, Paul
  3. Spooner, Ryan
Additional Details:
Spooner for Hartman + is very logical and has been talked about by both sides. In this deal I added a RHD Prospect because Chicago has a multitude of options and feature Seabrook and Murphy going forward as primary players. Clendening and Rutta are also guys who factor in as well as the fact that Chicago just always seem to be able to plug any defenseman into the lineup with successful results.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$72,156,251$0$1,090,000$2,843,749
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 8
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$872,500$872,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
C, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$808,750$808,750
C, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
RD
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 24, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
No way i’d do the Van trade even to unload Beleskey. Not giving up Frederic for spare parts, one a rental.

I like the Chi deal but they would decline.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 7:42 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
No way i’d do the Van trade even to unload Beleskey. Not giving up Frederic for spare parts, one a rental.

I like the Chi deal but they would decline.

You wouldn't give up Frederic for Edler? WTF!?!? That makes no sense at all to me. A future 3rd liner for a #3 LHD who can make us way harder to play against. I went to the game vs NJ and saw Grzelcyk live and wasn't impressed. He messed up several things several times and it's gonna get worse under the bright lights of the playoffs. Frederic is a spare part to me who I'll trade for an upgrade. I think Lauzon has more value than him as of now as well, so it's messed up you would reference Frederic as a deal breaker. Studnicka and JFK are both better than him as future C's and the most important part was to keep our 1st rounders. Both the 2018 and 2019 1st should be better than Frederic imo.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:12 p.m.
Edited Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:34 p.m.
Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
You wouldn't give up Frederic for Edler? WTF!?!? That makes no sense at all to me. A future 3rd liner for a #3 LHD who can make us way harder to play against. I went to the game vs NJ and saw Grzelcyk live and wasn't impressed. He messed up several things several times and it's gonna get worse under the bright lights of the playoffs. Frederic is a spare part to me who I'll trade for an upgrade. I think Lauzon has more value than him as of now as well, so it's messed up you would reference Frederic as a deal breaker. Studnicka and JFK are both better than him as future C's and the most important part was to keep our 1st rounders. Both the 2018 and 2019 1st should be better than Frederic imo.

I sure wouldn’t. Have you actually seen him play or are you just quoting the analysis of him on draft day? He was a reach, and it looks like they were correct. I have seen him plsy 4 times this year. studnicka 3. While i like both Frederic impressed me more. Edler is solid. Not worth Frederic to me. Plenty of other options will be available, if that’s the cost i’ll move on.

Btw latest rumor is Ian Cole in 1 for 1 swap. Supposedly they asked for Kevin Miller and we passed. McQuaid might be it. They need a RHD we need a LH.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:45 p.m.
I sure wouldn’t. Have you actually seen him play or are you just quoting the analysis of him on draft day? He was a reach, and it looks like they were correct. I have seen him plsy 4 times this year. studnicka 3. While i like both Frederic impressed me more. Edler is solid but nothing special. Not worth Frederic to me. Plenty of other options will be available, if that’s the cost i’ll move on.

Btw latest rumor is Ian Cole in 1 for 1 swap. Supposedly they asked for Kevin Miller and we passed. McQuaid might be it. They need a RHD we need a LH.

I think you must have seen his 4 goal game and heavily weigh that into your thought process of him..... everyone is capable of a fluke game like that. The other WJC games he wasn't very good and the announcer said the coaches were expecting more out of him and he was on the 4th line at one point for team USA. Ryan Lindgren was WAAAAAYYYY better and Lauzon is right up there with Lindgren imo.

Ian Cole is not any better than Miller or McQuaid and then we don't have a backup RHD if we traded them anyways. Give them Postma and a pick or no deal to be made. I don't really see Ian Cole as being better than Grzelcyk and I'm not a huge fan of Grzelcyk. Plus Pittsburg defenders suck.... it's like their coaching emphasizes offense only because the majority of their D-men suck so they play high scoring games. I think they have talent, but it's just a wide open system trying to outscore the other team instead of keeping the puck out of the net and that doesn't fit with us. Someone like Cole or Hunwick are basically worst case scenarios. To actually be happy about that level of addition is silly. Miller's been great (for him) all year and McQuaid is the #4 right now with Krug..... I don't see how trading one of them for Cole doesn't hurt us more than it helps.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 9:27 p.m.
I think you must have seen his 4 goal game and heavily weigh that into your thought process of him..... everyone is capable of a fluke game like that. The other WJC games he wasn't very good and the announcer said the coaches were expecting more out of him and he was on the 4th line at one point for team USA. Ryan Lindgren was WAAAAAYYYY better and Lauzon is right up there with Lindgren imo.

Ian Cole is not any better than Miller or McQuaid and then we don't have a backup RHD if we traded them anyways. Give them Postma and a pick or no deal to be made. I don't really see Ian Cole as being better than Grzelcyk and I'm not a huge fan of Grzelcyk. Plus Pittsburg defenders suck.... it's like their coaching emphasizes offense only because the majority of their D-men suck so they play high scoring games. I think they have talent, but it's just a wide open system trying to outscore the other team instead of keeping the puck out of the net and that doesn't fit with us. Someone like Cole or Hunwick are basically worst case scenarios. To actually be happy about that level of addition is silly. Miller's been great (for him) all year and McQuaid is the #4 right now with Krug..... I don't see how trading one of them for Cole doesn't hurt us more than it helps.

Nope. Didn’t get to see the bronze medal game.

I didn’t say I was excited about Cole. Just telling you the rumor going around.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 9:31 p.m.
Nope. Didn’t get to see the bronze medal game.

I didn’t say I was excited about Cole. Just telling you the rumor going around.

Okay, I don't like that rumor.

I also don't agree that Frederic is better than Studnicka.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:51 a.m.
No way am I giving that up for Edler/Vanek. This whole Frederic is a #3 is just guessing and honestly only started because Keith wasn't to happy with the pick (basically he wasn't the guy he wanted to draft). Frederic is a solid prospect that could bust or just as easily be a top 6 player. Not to mention he brings something this team lacks....a left handed centerman with size.
Gofnut999 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
BreKel
Bruins aren't going to include Beleskey in trades like this, and pay extra. He's going to be bought out or they're going to wait and hope that a team takes him on when he has a year left in his contract. Unless they can move him without having to pay a huge price on top of it, I just don't see it happening. Retaining on his deal isn't a bad option as well. He will have 2 years left in the off-season. No retaining and giving away a big piece is just a no-go.

Edler and Vanek (UFA) for Lauzon + Frederic + 2nd + 2nd (+ Beleskey). Taking out Beleskey, what....Does Vancouver only get one 2nd Round Pick? You didn't specify what the compensation was for Beleskey. The trade is pretty bad though. You're giving up too much here for essentially Edler. No Beleskey + no 2nd, you're still dealing, Frederic + Lauzon + 2nd for Edler and a rental. If you want to move big pieces like that, then you should be getting a better LHD back, and one who is younger and has some term. Its scary you don't think you're giving up "a whole lot" in that deal. You're trading two of Boston's better prospects for Edler (and a few months of Vanek, at most).

You took a deal that has been discussed on here, and did nothing but overkill it in favor for the Bruins. Hartman + 3rd for just Spooner was pretty good. Adding Pokka to the deal and thinking Fitzgerald and Postma (LOL) hold much value? Nope.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
BreKel

What doesn't make sense is why you think it's a forgone conclusion that Frederic is nothing more than a future 3rd line center. He's a prospect with an NHL floor, and top 6 potential as a power-center with size and skill. Studnicka and JFK are all different style centers than Frederic. JFK is better at the moment, but how is Studnicka also better? Their situations aren't comparable.

His usage in the WJC-20 tournament was pretty bad. He played a bottom 6 role on that team. He out-produced Ryan Poehling, who was getting much more of an opportunity. You say Ryan Lindgren was way better. Ok? Haha, he's a defenseman and was playing in his 2nd WJC-20 tournament. They're not comparable players. Lauzon is right up there with Lindgren, and yet you're dealing Lauzon + Frederic + picks for Edler and a few months of Vanek. Lauzon has top 4 upside, himself. You overkill this deal by adding other significant pieces on top of him.
Gofnut999 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:52 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel
Bruins aren't going to include Beleskey in trades like this, and pay extra. He's going to be bought out or they're going to wait and hope that a team takes him on when he has a year left in his contract. Unless they can move him without having to pay a huge price on top of it, I just don't see it happening. Retaining on his deal isn't a bad option as well. He will have 2 years left in the off-season. No retaining and giving away a big piece is just a no-go.

Edler and Vanek (UFA) for Lauzon + Frederic + 2nd + 2nd (+ Beleskey). Taking out Beleskey, what....Does Vancouver only get one 2nd Round Pick? You didn't specify what the compensation was for Beleskey. The trade is pretty bad though. You're giving up too much here for essentially Edler. No Beleskey + no 2nd, you're still dealing, Frederic + Lauzon + 2nd for Edler and a rental. If you want to move big pieces like that, then you should be getting a better LHD back, and one who is younger and has some term. Its scary you don't think you're giving up "a whole lot" in that deal. You're trading two of Boston's better prospects for Edler (and a few months of Vanek, at most).

You took a deal that has been discussed on here, and did nothing but overkill it in favor for the Bruins. Hartman + 3rd for just Spooner was pretty good. Adding Pokka to the deal and thinking Fitzgerald and Postma (LOL) hold much value? Nope.

Beleskey is worth a negative 2nd to get rid of imo right now. I don't mind giving that up to get rid of him. Retaining is okay, but then we pay a 3rd or 4th to get rid of him. Nobody is going to take Beleskey even with 1 year left unless they are paid to do so.

Edler is a really solid d-man and Vanek is going to cost Frederic or a 2nd + someone like Fitzgerald the way he's been playing this season. So if Vanek costs Frederic than Edler costs Lauzon + 2nd. Sure maybe that's a bit much, but I generally land on the side of the opposing team by a slight margin in order to keep from underpaying. If I took out Frederic and Beleskey for the 2nd the deal would look like crap. You can't seriously think Vancouver couldn't get more than Lauzon + 2nd for a rental of Vanek + Edler for a year and a half? Maybe Edler ends up liking it here and signs a 3 year extension for 6M per. He's also been really productive this season if you've missed it... we're getting 2 guys that are "hot" this season.

I think Fitzgerald has about as much value as Pokka and Chicago is great at plugging in no-names on the back end. Maybe that deal ends up slightly in favor of us for once, but I see Fitzgerald as a good prospect who I got to see him live at BC and he was one of the best players on the ice and looked better than Colin White in the offensive end of the ice. Postma isn't worth the 3rd, but I'd think Spooners track record could get us more than just Hartman. Having Postma could also help them this season as they push to get the final wildcard spot. I don't know who they'd prefer... Postma or Clendening at this point, but if they don't want Postma I could substitute someone like O'Gara or a forward like Agostino.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:56 a.m.
What doesn't make sense is why you think it's a forgone conclusion that Frederic is nothing more than a future 3rd line center. He's a prospect with an NHL floor, and top 6 potential as a power-center with size and skill. Studnicka and JFK are all different style centers than Frederic. JFK is better at the moment, but how is Studnicka also better? Their situations aren't comparable.

His usage in the WJC-20 tournament was pretty bad. He played a bottom 6 role on that team. He out-produced Ryan Poehling, who was getting much more of an opportunity. You say Ryan Lindgren was way better. Ok? Haha, he's a defenseman and was playing in his 2nd WJC-20 tournament. They're not comparable players. Lauzon is right up there with Lindgren, and yet you're dealing Lauzon + Frederic + picks for Edler and a few months of Vanek. Lauzon has top 4 upside, himself. You overkill this deal by adding other significant pieces on top of him.

By saying better, I also mean better value. Lindgren + Studnicka hold more value than Frederic and I think you're full of **** if you say Frederic has an NHL floor. The last Bruins prospect that was raved about that way was Jared Knight and look how he turned out there big guy.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 11:25 a.m.
BreKel
By saying better, I also mean better value. Lindgren + Studnicka hold more value than Frederic and I think you're full of **** if you say Frederic has an NHL floor. The last Bruins prospect that was raved about that way was Jared Knight and look how he turned out there big guy.

How does Studnicka hold more value than Frederic? There was a report that teams were calling Boston about Frederic, and Boston was saying no. I'm not full of ****. He has an NHL floor in my opinion. He seems like a safe bet to play in the NHL in some capacity with his size and skill set. He's 6'3'' 215 lbs, and while he's not fast, he can move for a big guy. He has a serious shot and during the WJC tournament, the announcer made note of it, saying he has one of the best shots in the NCAA. He's good at both ends of the ice. I'm full of **** saying he has an NHL floor? Not at all. You just don't like the fact that I don't agree with your opinion on him. He could very easily play in the NHL. He has everything you need.

NHL floor = playing in the NHL. Even if it's nothing more than a 4th line role, that's still an NHL floor.

Jared Knight dealt with serious injuries when he went professional. But yes, because one player was considered being an NHL player, and failed, that means the opinion is null and void. Hahaha
Jan. 25, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.
How does Studnicka hold more value than Frederic? There was a report that teams were calling Boston about Frederic, and Boston was saying no. I'm not full of ****. He has an NHL floor in my opinion. He seems like a safe bet to play in the NHL in some capacity with his size and skill set. He's 6'3'' 215 lbs, and while he's not fast, he can move for a big guy. He has a serious shot and during the WJC tournament, the announcer made note of it, saying he has one of the best shots in the NCAA. He's good at both ends of the ice. I'm full of **** saying he has an NHL floor? Not at all. You just don't like the fact that I don't agree with your opinion on him. He could very easily play in the NHL. He has everything you need.

NHL floor = playing in the NHL. Even if it's nothing more than a 4th line role, that's still an NHL floor.

Jared Knight dealt with serious injuries when he went professional. But yes, because one player was considered being an NHL player, and failed, that means the opinion is null and void. Hahaha

Having a good shot and size doesn't matter to being a lock as an NHL player. You also need to be able to keep up mentally, so I don't think any prospect is a lock or "has an NHL floor". Maybe upper end guys at the top of the 1st round, but even then they sometimes fail even if they are considered smart players or really skillful guys. My point is that it's just foolish to guarantee he's going to be an NHLer because you simply don't know yet that it will happen. You can go on record right now guaranteeing he'll be an NHLer, but you're going to look awfully stupid if he doesn't ever make the jump.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
BreKel
Having a good shot and size doesn't matter to being a lock as an NHL player. You also need to be able to keep up mentally, so I don't think any prospect is a lock or "has an NHL floor". Maybe upper end guys at the top of the 1st round, but even then they sometimes fail even if they are considered smart players or really skillful guys. My point is that it's just foolish to guarantee he's going to be an NHLer because you simply don't know yet that it will happen. You can go on record right now guaranteeing he'll be an NHLer, but you're going to look awfully stupid if he doesn't ever make the jump.

He possesses the qualities you need to be an NHL player. He is an intelligent two way forward, who plays with physicality and has strength. He has the size to play that style and be effective, and couple that with his shooting ability, and skating, I think he has an NHL floor. That isn't a wrong opinion. I'm far from foolish for thinking that. The Bruins drafted him in the first round for a reason. They feel the same way.

I won't look stupid if he doesn't make the jump, because it's not stupid for having an opinion like that.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
Haha, you're taking what I'm saying and now assuming that I think he's only going to amount to being a 4th liner. I have been very clear that he has TOP 6 UPSIDE. I just also think he will be an NHL player in some capacity. You scrubs who try and twist things said by someone else to argue your point...Too funny. Your offer was garbage and you take a huge chunk out of our deep pool. Get better on your trade offers.

Quote:
Saying someones floor is the NHL means that there's zero chance he doesn't make it. That in fact does make you look stupid if he doesn't amount to an NHLer.

Nah. I watch the player, and see someone with an NHL floor. If he doesn't make it, for whatever the reason, oh well! Onto the next one. Now, If only I cared what some inbred neanderthal from Maine thought! You thinking I'm stupid? I don't lose any sleep over it. The feeling is mutual (:

You call this taking a huge chunk out of our prospect pool? Look in the mirror buddy....https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/564501.....https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/564899 Sure it's for better players, but you're giving up 4 pieces instead of 2 lol and you think I'm the one spending too much!? As I've already said to you, you're clearly the funniest person on here.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 12:26 p.m.
BreKel
You call this taking a huge chunk out of our prospect pool? Look in the mirror buddy....https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/564501.....https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/564899 Sure it's for better players, but you're giving up 4 pieces instead of 2 lol and you think I'm the one spending too much!? As I've already said to you, you're clearly the funniest person on here.

Well seeing McDonagh >>> Edler haha

I'm trading a big package for a 28 year old top pairing defenseman. You're trading a big package for a 2nd pairing guy who's 31 years old and had injury history oh and a few months of Vanek lolololololol

Good response. You really made your point!
Jan. 25, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
Well seeing McDonagh >>> Edler haha

I'm trading a big package for a 28 year old top pairing defenseman. You're trading a big package for a 2nd pairing guy who's 31 years old and had injury history oh and a few months of Vanek lolololololol

Good response. You really made your point!

I gave less than half the price, so you should expect half the player.... how you wouldn't understand that is hilarious. Also a 28 vs a 31 aren't similar aged players? What world do you live in... you wouldn't want a 31 year old for 2 seasons, but you'll give a 29 year old a 7 year extension lol.... you're just so great and always so witty.
Jan. 25, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
BreKel
I gave less than half the price, so you should expect half the player.... how you wouldn't understand that is hilarious. Also a 28 vs a 31 aren't similar aged players? What world do you live in... you wouldn't want a 31 year old for 2 seasons, but you'll give a 29 year old a 7 year extension lol.... you're just so great and always so witty.

I gave up Senyshyn, Zboril, Frederic, 1st for McDonagh (28 years old, 1.5 years left, top pairing defenseman). You gave up Frederic, Lauzon, 2nd for Edler (31 years old, 1.5 years left, 2nd pairing defenseman). You're going to pay more for the better player. I did that. More weak garbage from you. You're trying to come at me, and just sound like a moron since what you're trying to argue against isn't a big deal. Confrontational for the sake of it. You're just mad.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll