Forums/Armchair-GM

Pre-Deadline, Full Team Analysis

Created by: ShafferPens
Team: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2018
Published: Feb. 7, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Today I will be talking about my analysis of the Penguins pre-deadline, but first I want to share something: I will be more active about in depth analysis. My schedule will be:
Tuesday: Q&A; I will answer any questions/concerns you may have about the Penguins, a certain player, or potential trade targets.
Wednesday: Full team analysis and Prospect Update; I will be talking about what has been helping the Penguins win and what they need to do better. Also I will do a separate thread talking about Penguins prospects.
Saturday: 21 Thoughts; I will be sharing 21 random thoughts about the team/Hockey.
Sunday: Rumor roundup; I will be sharing what rumors surround the team based on my source and the NHL insiders.
Gamedays: Post-game analysis PLUS what scouts were attending; Self explanatory.

Of course I won’t be able to do it EVERY week/game because I do have stuff to do, but I’ll try.

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s my analysis of Penguins pre-deadline.

Current Cap Space/Roster Talk

Currently, the Penguins have $1,334,150 in cap space(via CapFriendly). That number becomes around $1,800,000 once Zach Aston-Reese is returned to WBS. Conor Sheary and Patric Hornqvist are both out with injuries. The Penguins should be calling up two forwards at any moment, after Rowney and Kuhnhackl both went down with injuries last night. Currently, the Penguins have ten healthy forwards. Who should the Penguins call up? Most likely JS Dea and Daniel Sprong.

Forwards We Go

What would the forwards look like after these callups? My opinion: I think Simon-Rust worked REALLY well with Crosby when put together. I would keep them together a little longer. Now, Malkin and Hagelin have been AMAZING the last couple of games. Hagelin allows Malkin to play towards his strengths because Malkin doesn’t need to worry about giving up oddman rushes. Now, something I REALLY want to see: Malkin-Sprong. The twoway game is down with Hagelin with them, so why not try Sprong with Malkin? I’ve always wanted to see Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong . . . maybe I will be able to. Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel has been clicking a little, so let’s just keep them together. Now, onto the elimination game: ZAR-Dea-Reaves. That line is utter garbage. No speed/skill whatsoever(unless you think Dea is actually a good hockey player). It’s fine as we can roll three fast, scoring lines out there.

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Dea-Reaves

Defensively

Kris Letang and Brian Dumoulin have been great recently. Haven’t noticed anything particularly bad, but Letang just needs to work on his decision making. Justin Schultz and Olli Maatta have struggled together. Just by the looks, it seems as if both of them are just not confident with each other. They both have hesitated with the puck recently when playing with each other. I think it’s because they don’t trust each other defensively. Neither of them are shutdown defensemen. But we do have two shutdown defensemen playing together: Jamie Oleksiak and Ian Cole. Schultz needs a shutdown partner who can be physical, but doesn’t need to have great wheels. Maatta needs a shutdown partner who can be physical, but needs good wheels. Cole fits better with Schultz’s needs and Oleksiak fits better with Maatta’s needs. Thank the Lord that Hunwick has been healthy scratched.

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Oleksiak
Cole-Schultz

Goalie time!

Matt Murray did make very timely saves in the win against Vegas, but he needs to limit the bad goals. In my opinion, he could have stopped William Karlsson and Jonathan Marchessault goals, but hey you can’t make every save. I love Murray.

I was a little bit confused that Tristan Jarry was recalled and Casey DeSmith reassigned, but you do you, management! It’s not the biggest deal in the world.

Power to the Play

The Penguins did not score on the powerplay against the Knights, going 0 for 3. Very bad powerplays overall. I won’t let one game like that dictate what I believe the units should look like(right now).

Unit 1: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Schultz
Unit 2: Simon, Rust, Sprong, Maatta, Letang

(1)Don’t Take Penalties, (2) Kill Them Off If You Do

The PK units have looked solid recently. I really like Hagelin on the PK. He is a top PKer in the league. One thing that frustrates me: The lack of aggressiveness of everyone, excluding Hagelin. No one pressues the puck holder, but we should. Running the box PK, you should have the strong side forward and defensemen pinch the puck holder into making a pass that you have to squeeze the puck into a small area. The weak side forward pushes to the point man, but keeps his stick in the cross-ice passing lane. The weak side defenseman should step up into the slot and he should position his stick into where he feels the biggest threat is. The point of this is to get sticks on pucks or make the puck holder make a bad decision. If we make the puck holder squeeze the puck into a small area AND he completes that pass, then we have one crap PK or that player is a stud. The unit designs are okay and I would leave them the same.

Forwards 1: Sheahan-Hagelin
Forwards 2: Dea-Rust
Defenseman 1: Dumoulin-Letang
Defenseman 2: Maatta-Cole

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed!
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$75,000,000$72,132,913$50,000$622,500$2,867,087
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,075,000$2,075,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$692,500$692,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
RW
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$630,833$630,833 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$964,688$964,688
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:06 p.m.
very good analysis. I would love to see a
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong line come playoffs. and if we add a 3C...
we could have a fourth line of sheary - Sheehan - hornqvist... now thats just silly. keep Sid with Simon and rust as well as theyre meshing nicely. the amount of depth that we could have....

simon-crosby-rust
hagalin-malkin-sprong
guzental- ????- kessel
sheary- Sheehan - horqnvist

(if we dont trade any of our players for deadline help)
man thats an insanely deep team
ShafferPens liked this.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:11 p.m.
Lafreniere
Quoting: mhockey91
very good analysis. I would love to see a
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong line come playoffs. and if we add a 3C...
we could have a fourth line of sheary - Sheehan - hornqvist... now thats just silly. keep Sid with Simon and rust as well as theyre meshing nicely. the amount of depth that we could have....

simon-crosby-rust
hagalin-malkin-sprong
guzental- ????- kessel
sheary- Sheehan - horqnvist

(if we dont trade any of our players for deadline help)
man thats an insanely deep team

I love your comment.

Your comment just made me realize that we should trade a 1st or 2nd for a rental third line center. A 2nd for Derek Ryan? Done.
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: ShafferPens
I love your comment.

Your comment just made me realize that we should trade a 1st or 2nd for a rental third line center. A 2nd for Derek Ryan? Done.

could you imagine the nightmare coaches would face if they had to match up their fourth line against ours... like HOW do you match that up. HOWWWW!!!!! 2 top 6 left wingers on your fourth line!!!!
the #2 leading NHL scorer on your third line...
the amount of depth we have is INSANE. I really hope they call up sprong. get Kühnhackl outta there
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:24 p.m.
Lafreniere
could you imagine the nightmare coaches would face if they had to match up their fourth line against ours... like HOW do you match that up. HOWWWW!!!!! 2 top 6 left wingers on your fourth line!!!!
the #2 leading NHL scorer on your third line...
the amount of depth we have is INSANE. I really hope they call up sprong. get Kühnhackl outta there

It’s more Reaves than Kuhnhackl. But just saying, I don’t think JR wants to go the UFA route.

But gosh, I wish he sees my most recent armchair gm laugh
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:29 p.m.
Quoting: ShafferPens
It’s more Reaves than Kuhnhackl. But just saying, I don’t think JR wants to go the UFA route.

But gosh, I wish he sees my most recent armchair gm laugh

I mean get Kühnhackl of genos wing and get sprong on it squinty smile but yes I agree. although reaves did have a sick snipe last night wink
ShafferPens liked this.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
Lafreniere
I mean get Kühnhackl of genos wing and get sprong on it squinty smile but yes I agree. although reaves did have a sick snipe last night wink

Reaves should only play when a game can get out of hand. Against a skill team like the Canes or Devils? No way should he be in the lineup.
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 9:01 p.m.
Not a bad analysis. Dumo did have a brutal game against vegas. He was out of position on 3 of the goals including a turnover that led to one of the goals.
I agree with the defensive pairings.
As for the fwds, I don’t think sully is gonna use Simon much due to his brutal game vs vegas too.
Playoff lines in that case...
Sheary-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Ryan/other trade-Kessel
Kühnhackl-Sheahan-Rust
Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak

That’s pretty damn stacked

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: