Forums/Armchair-GM

Greatest hits

Created by: Eli
Team: 2017-18 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2018
Published: Feb. 23, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Toronto Star says more hits equals more wins.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/03/27/department_of_hockey_analytics_more_hits_equals_more_wins.html The Caps already have two of the top ten checkers in the league this year. Maybe they could add a couple more from the top twenty? http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=realtime&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hits

Bowey's in Hershey for cap relief. Vrana is also waiver exempt and would be there for a few weeks in the unlikely event that all of these things actually happen. I thought about trying to also add Komarov, and MDZ, but I didn't want to go overboard with this thing. And now, cue comments on how Arizona needs a first pick to take on a tough guy who is signed trough next year in exchange for two less-tough guys who aren't.
Trades
WSH
  1. Rinaldo, Zac
  2. Schenn, Luke
Additional Details:
Schenn and Rinaldo are 14th and 16th with 160 and 153 hits so far this year.
ARI
  1. Bindulis, Kris
  2. Orpik, Brooks
  3. Simpson, Wayne
Additional Details:
Orpik is tied for 9th with 160, plays five more minutes a night of solid defense than Schenn, and is signed trough next year.
WSH
  1. Larsson, Adam
  2. Lucic, Milan
Additional Details:
Edmonton fans seem to have soured on Larsson and feel they have too many left defensemen. Is it bad enough that they'd trade him for Washington's two closest prospects at right D?
EDM
  1. Hobbs, Connor
  2. Oshie, T.J.
  3. Williams, Colby
Additional Details:
Oilers fans suggested Oshie for Lucic and we laughed at them last week, because Oshie was a big part of the best top line in hockey the last two years, but Lucic is third in hits, and Trotz seems to have stopped letting Oshie play with Ovechkin and Backstrom.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$67,000,106$4,978$500,000$7,999,894
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 8
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$660,000$660,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 4
$3,966,667$3,966,667
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 23, 2018 at 5:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Sorry for the typo. Orpik actually has 170 hits. But trading him for Schenn and Rinaldo might seriously help both clubs, since it gives Washington more tough guys, and gives Arizona another leader with a Cup ring to help right the ship, who is signed through next year. Yes, his cap hit is high. That's why I threw in prospects.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 5:55 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
any concept of trading for Lucic is ridiculous. Connor Hobbs actually looks like a good prospect, probably be better than Bowey. So PASS.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:01 p.m.
ArlingtonCapitals
Minutes, hits, ice-time, unadjusted corsi and zone starts aren't great data points, Eli. Gotta broaden your statistical horizon and look at stats in a holistic view or else you'll continue convincing yourself that Brooks Orpik is good.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:11 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: netminder71
any concept of trading for Lucic is ridiculous. Connor Hobbs actually looks like a good prospect, probably be better than Bowey. So PASS.

A bird in the top ten rookie defensemen in points (and producing even strength points 23% faster than Mike Green) is worth two in the AHL getting suspended for gooning it up, so, no big deal.

Quoting: ArlingtonCaps
Minutes, hits, ice-time, unadjusted corsi and zone starts aren't great data points, Eli. Gotta broaden your statistical horizon and look at stats in a holistic view or else you'll continue convincing yourself that Brooks Orpik is good.

So, the link above to the Toronto Star says that each extra hit that a team dishes, beyond the number it takes, increases its odds of winning that game by about 1%. That's from the Toronto star. You might not believe in global warming, either, but I'm not throwing away my thermometer.

Orpik is tied with Wilson for 9th in the NHL in hits.

Now I hope you'll start watching the playoffs, sometime, instead of just listening to Milbury's ant-Caps nonsense and looking down at your beer.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:13 p.m.
That NYI trade is hilarious. Bura is a young top 6 player, while Clutterbuck is an overpaid 4th liner. Let alone we added Stephenson who's a good, young 3rd liner.

ARI trade, it would be nice to get rid of Orpik, so I would do the trade then instantly get rid of Rinaldo. Biggest waste of space in the NHL.

EDM trade is terrible too. We get an overrated dman and a terrible terrible contract in Lucic. Pass.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:16 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: ClockReads2113
That NYI trade is hilarious. Bura is a young top 6 player, while Clutterbuck is an overpaid 4th liner. Let alone we added Stephenson who's a good, young 3rd liner.

That's what I thought when the Islanders traded for Clutterbuck, too. And again when they signed his stupid contract extension. In this case, yeah, I don't think the Caps make that deal. But out of loyalty to the concept of the exercise, I had to try to keep this thing under the salary cap.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: ClockReads2113

ARI trade, it would be nice to get rid of Orpik, so I would do the trade then instantly get rid of Rinaldo. Biggest waste of space in the NHL.

EDM trade is terrible too. We get an overrated dman and a terrible terrible contract in Lucic. Pass.

If anything, Bura goes to a different team for picks and prospects, one of which goes for Clutterbuck to help the Isles sign Tavs.

EDM, yeah.... Doesn't work from any perspective except hits. Maybe just Oshie for both?

Biggest waste of space that gets three hits a game in 4th line minutes? UFA this summer, so really just a rental to beat up the Pens once.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
ArlingtonCapitals
Quoting: Eli
A bird in the top ten rookie defensemen in points (and producing even strength points 23% faster than Mike Green) is worth two in the AHL getting suspended for gooning it up, so, no big deal.

So, the link above to the Toronto Star says that each extra hit that a team dishes, beyond the number it takes, increases its odds of winning that game by about 1%. That's from the Toronto star. You might not believe in global warming, either, but I'm not throwing away my thermometer.

Orpik is tied with Wilson for 9th in the NHL in hits.

Now I hope you'll start watching the playoffs, sometime, instead of just listening to Milbury's ant-Caps nonsense and looking down at your beer.

Understood. But did you bother to read the article? Hits are relative to possession. Possession can be defined by team, line, pairing and individual. If you put down your beer, and watched Tom Wilson and how he utilizes his hits (along the wall on the forecheck and in the neutral zone to regain possession) compared to Brooks Orpik whose hits are largely constrained to stagnant defensive zone & PK responsibilities while driving possession downward for the team, you'd be able to see the relative value of his quantity of hits.

Once you do that research and look at statistics HOLISTICALLY within the concept of the broader picture, get back to me. Otherwise, stop with the lazy single data point analysis.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:26 p.m.
Who adds what?
Now, I'm sure there's a diminising return, but if each marginal hit yields a 1% increase in the chance of winning one game, having five guys who average more than three hits a game instead of two of them should give the Caps almost a 9% better chance of winning each game. Now, it would be unscientific to speculate on how much of that effect is cumulative between consecutive games in a playoff series, but if it does add up, it would explain what Krysztov Oliwa and Brooks Orpik used to do to the Caps. Turnabout is fair play.
deledted_12_231 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 6:33 p.m.
Who adds what?
Understood. But did you bother to read the article? Hits are relative to possession. Possession can be defined by team, line, pairing and individual. If you put down your beer, and watched Tom Wilson and how he utilizes his hits (along the wall on the forecheck and in the neutral zone to regain possession) compared to Brooks Orpik whose hits are largely constrained to stagnant defensive zone & PK responsibilities while driving possession downward for the team, you'd be able to see the relative value of his quantity of hits.

Once you do that research and look at statistics HOLISTICALLY within the concept of the broader picture, get back to me. Otherwise, stop with the lazy single data point analysis.

That's a great point. I'll try to look out for that. Theoretically, the NHL doesn't count a hit unless it leads to a possession change, but I'd be interested to see the scoresheet from "the Shift," and see how that actually plays out.

Now, you do realize you're questioning my intellectual rigor by attacking Orpik on a team where I traded Orpik away for two cheaper tough guys, to let Arizona brag about his Cup ring next year? Like, I can take a bad review, but maybe read the trades first?
Feb. 23, 2018 at 7:44 p.m.
ArlingtonCapitals
Quoting: Eli
That's a great point. I'll try to look out for that. Theoretically, the NHL doesn't count a hit unless it leads to a possession change, but I'd be interested to see the scoresheet from "the Shift," and see how that actually plays out.

Now, you do realize you're questioning my intellectual rigor by attacking Orpik on a team where I traded Orpik away for two cheaper tough guys, to let Arizona brag about his Cup ring next year? Like, I can take a bad review, but maybe read the trades first?

I am 100% questioning your ‘intellectual rigor’ if you actually believe all the things you’ve been saying about Orpik across your 10000 trades you post per day. I’d rather look at realistic deals based in fact and thought.

If you’re doing it as a sales tactic, god I hope GMBM is trying the same thing and someone buys it and takes him off our hands.
Eli liked this.
Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:27 p.m.
Who adds what?
I am 100% questioning your ‘intellectual rigor’ if you actually believe all the things you’ve been saying about Orpik across your 10000 trades you post per day. I’d rather look at realistic deals based in fact and thought.

If you’re doing it as a sales tactic, god I hope GMBM is trying the same thing and someone buys it and takes him off our hands.

Lol. I'm admittedly partisan here, but I also think there's a lot of hyperbole on Orpik, all around this board. He's a goon/superpest who can play a regular shift of 18 minutes but not, as this year has shown, 20. Replacing Djoos with Kempny or Jerabek should get him back down to 18, and he should theoretically go back to being slow and dependable like last year. But as for overpaid, just look at the above roster. As far as goons who can play eighteen minutes a night he's in company with: Adam Larsson.

It's really too small of a market to judge. If you add in Clutterbuck and Lucic back when they signed their contracts and seemed immortal, maybe you get some comps. Then Orpik's paycheck seems... slightly above average.

If there were a football player as tough as Orpik, relative to the NFL, he would earn 100 million dollars (and get signed by the Washington football team, and never do anything meaningful again). Should we as a society reward violence? No. But should a hockey franchise compensate players for participating effectively within a set of sports rules that, according to the Toronto Star, is scientifically proven to reward violence? Yes. If they have to win to create shareholder value, then most franchises are probably contractually bound to various ownership groups to reward violence as if it were just another performance measure.

You take the violence out of Orpik's game and he's a hair better than jerabek or Kempny, which is still impressive at his age. But that only beomes relevant if you take the violence out of hockey.

You're right that Orpik doesn't crush opponents just to take away the puck. He hits them to wear them down and make them not want to get the puck. Then he leaves the puck there, and they get it, and he hits them. It's pretty sick, really, but it's within the rules of the NHL, and the Caps are better off with him in Washington than in Pittsburgh. If they trade him to a team out of the playoffs, well.... did you hear about the Derrick Brassard trade?
Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:56 p.m.
Who adds what?
And I'm not honestly sure that hockey should try to eliminate all violence. I think that violence in hockey is why the armed forces buy so many ads at events. It serves a poetic function, teaching people not only about the tribalism and feuds and gang wars of America's past, or about how the perspective that someone is fighting on your side can change Orpik or Hunter from a monster into a hero, but it teaches people that the most awful and uncontrollable parts of our personalities be channeled towards positive, or at least, community oriented purposes. The goon in hockey provides metaphoric redemption to the school bully watching on TV. He provides a sense of safety in an uncertain world. If we suspend disbelief and forget that we are watching working people clobber each other for the entertainment of millionaire business owners, and allow ourselves to believe in the inherent value of our cities, then a hockey fight allows catharsis of a thousand tiny frustrations of everyone watching. A recent study showed that listening to heavy metal music calms people and makes them less likely to engage in violence. I think that watching hockey fights might serve as a similar release valve on psychic pressure. Should something more be done to prevent body checks from causing concussions? Absolutely. But as long as checks are given as negative reinforcers throughout the playoffs to try to teach opponents to stop trying to play the puck, it's worth noting that Orpik has 481 hits in 125 playoff games. Hjalmarsson has 81 in a similar sample.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll